• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see a comparison between this and the Jumpgate which seems equally versatile and portable.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a comparison between this and the Jumpgate which seems equally versatile and portable.

Never heard of Jumpgate till now. It looks like each has their own advantages. It's neat how you can detach it from the stand to get a smaller unit, and the way they designed the stand. However, I think the fact that the convert dock is an all in one solution which includes AC adapter built in and all you really need to do is connect wires to it, makes it more compact and easier to pack. The only catch is you'll either have to lay it down or figure out how to have a stand instead.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Not support for europlug is a bit disappointing, but I ended up getting one.
I love the idea and how small it is.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
How about someone make one of these not designed around the US plug shape? The small size and folding plug are wasted when you need an additional plug adapter for everywhere else in the world.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already have my jump gate it's quite small already and can use it docked in a better way. Pass

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I really dont get how this is any better than the default. In what situation would you be travelling so light you couldn't just put the dock in your bag/car?
Plus with all the talk of 3rd party docks frying switches, its a no from me. I'll stick with the one in the box.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I really dont get how this is any better than the default. In what situation would you be travelling so light you couldn't just put the dock in your bag/car?
Plus with all the talk of 3rd party docks frying switches, its a no from me. I'll stick with the one in the box.

Traveling by airplane. Trying to pack the dock is just cumbersome. I've done it before and I'll gladly take this solution instead. Plus if you read the OP, it explains how the Nyko dock fried systems and how this won't as they've written an article that explains the technical aspects of what went wrong and posted it up on Ars Technica.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

Try packing your Switch power cord and dock in any reasonably sized case and taking if with you every day.

This is an everyday carry item that offers huge convenience over anything else and space savings.

The Switch power issues have been solved for awhile now, just make sure the people producing the product understand what the issue was and know the solution to avoid it and it's safe.

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
I got a $10 coupon for the Genki store for backing, but the Genki Audio is 66 CAD on Amazon so there's no point to me buying it on their storefront in USD.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I already have a Jumpgate dock, but thanks to this thread I learned about the Bluetooth adapter. I'll probably be grabbing that, cause I'd love to be able to use my AirPods for it and didn't wanna big others due to needing to charge them or not allowing for charging the Switch. So thanks to everyone who mentioned that!

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
$628k pledged so far with 34 days to go on a $50k goal. Crazy. Never done a Kickstarter but this might be my first.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Aaaand backed. I won't have to bother with that huge charger + dock whenever I plan to play it on another TV.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I already have a Jumpgate dock, but thanks to this thread I learned about the Bluetooth adapter. I'll probably be grabbing that, cause I'd love to be able to use my AirPods for it and didn't wanna big others due to needing to charge them or not allowing for charging the Switch. So thanks to everyone who mentioned that!
Get this to tuck it behind the system instead of having it stick out of the bottom.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I can not wait to hear whether this works with the Lite. I sold my Switch a few months back in anticipation of buying the rumored "Pro" redesign this fall. The update with better battery life doesn't excite me at all so I've been debating getting a Lite or just holding off another year to see if they announce anything next year. This would make the Lite an absolute no-brainer if it gives it the docking functionality.

I really hope it does, it would be really shitty of Nintendo to block the functionality when it still charges with USB C.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

wemt on holiday last week. They had a nice big TV and we took the switch. Couldn't play on tv because we didn't want to dismantle and take the dock. This would have been perfect (if it had a uk plug).

these should always use an apple style removable plug end so they can easily add euro/uk/other plugs

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Holy hell, over a million dollars already? Wouldn't have expected this to be so popular, especially given there has been issues with third party docks damaging the Switch in the past.

Oct 29, 2017
I signed up to the early bird when it was around £20k funded. At that point I assumed it came with a UK plug adapter. It was expensive but a nice thing to have.

Now I've just realised that I don't get the adapter and have to pay another $20 for the global adapter pack, taking it to around $81. That works out around £67. I think that's put me over the edge now and I'll back out.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I can not wait to hear whether this works with the Lite. I sold my Switch a few months back in anticipation of buying the rumored "Pro" redesign this fall. The update with better battery life doesn't excite me at all so I've been debating getting a Lite or just holding off another year to see if they announce anything next year. This would make the Lite an absolute no-brainer if it gives it the docking functionality.

I really hope it does, it would be really shitty of Nintendo to block the functionality when it still charges with USB C.

The lite version is probably not capable to run docked, no matter the Dock. It would probably run way to hot with docked frequencys because of the small form factor.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
wemt on holiday last week. They had a nice big TV and we took the switch. Couldn't play on tv because we didn't want to dismantle and take the dock. This would have been perfect (if it had a uk plug).

these should always use an apple style removable plug end so they can easily add euro/uk/other plugs
Every time we go away we take the dock, all you have to do is unplug the power and hdmi :D We just put the whole thing in a plastic bag and go.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The lite version is probably not capable to run docked, no matter the Dock. It would probably run way to hot with docked frequencys because of the small form factor.

It would still be cool to be able to output video. This is a reason to remove Docked mode performance, but not a reason to remove video output altogether.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
They've added some more earlybird slots again for the global edition. Now I also gave in, despite having the converted original dock and the jumpgate.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Got notification this morning that mine is shipping out. Can't wait to test it out.

Sounds like they are doing a small batch first from their final production tests then sending the rest of the KS ones as they arrive before going to retail.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Got notification this morning that mine is shipping out. Can't wait to test it out.

Sounds like they are doing a small batch first from their final production tests then sending the rest of the KS ones as they arrive before going to retail.

It should be noted that the the first two waves won't be compatible with the international adapters.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Mine finally arrived and I'm surprised at how picky it is with what USB C cable will work with it. It says you need a USB C 3.1 cable with video display capabilities but I would have assumed at least my Oculus Link cable would have worked but the only one in the house that works so far is the one that came with it. I'm going to have to get another compatible cable that looks unique enough so I don't accidentally grab the wrong cable.

Oct 25, 2017
Mine finally arrived and I'm surprised at how picky it is with what USB C cable will work with it. It says you need a USB C 3.1 cable with video display capabilities but I would have assumed at least my Oculus Link cable would have worked but the only one in the house that works so far is the one that came with it. I'm going to have to get another compatible cable that looks unique enough so I don't accidentally grab the wrong cable.

how do you like so far? Any weirdness aside from the cable issue?

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your post is why I just bought one. To know it's gonna be that picky is exactly what I needed to hear for the safety of the switch! Can't wait to get it!

Also do the pro controllers cables work?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been using mine to put my Mac on the screen to broadcast Jackbox. Works a treat.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
how do you like so far? Any weirdness aside from the cable issue?

It's great! It works as you'd expect it to and I love how small it is. It's crazy how it's smaller than the official Switch AC adapter. No problems other than finding a compatible cable. I'm really curious why the Oculus Link cable doesn't work since that's supposed to be a high quality cable and they're streaming video to the Oculus Quest through it.

Your post is why I just bought one. To know it's gonna be that picky is exactly what I needed to hear for the safety of the switch! Can't wait to get it!

Also do the pro controllers cables work?

The Pro Controller cable isn't USB-C on both ends so it won't work unless you mean plugging it into the Type A connector and charging the controller.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's great! It works as you'd expect it to and I love how small it is. It's crazy how it's smaller than the official Switch AC adapter. No problems other than finding a compatible cable. I'm really curious why the Oculus Link cable doesn't work since that's supposed to be a high quality cable and they're streaming video to the Oculus Quest through it.

The Pro Controller cable isn't USB-C on both ends so it won't work unless you mean plugging it into the Type A connector and charging the controller.
IDK why I thought it was c on both sides 🤦🏽‍♂️

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Just popping in to say my Global edition (Singapore) arrived today. Works like a charm. It's basically smaller than my Macbook chargers, comes with a great right-angled USB C cable (1m!) and has the HDMI on it. So overall it's doing everything asked.

Obviously travel is out of the question these days but I also really appreciate how sliding off the Singapore/UK 3-pin reveals the US 2 pin underneath. It's really well engineered.