• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a hot take, it's my honest opinion. I don't think anyone can argue that gammon is not a racist term, people are just saying that it doesn't really matter because it is against white people.

If you call someone a gammon they will take it that racial comments are 'fair play'.

gammon isn't racist though
just cause the nuclear nine resembled a table spread doesn't mean they all do. gammon is an ideology

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Title of thread should've just been, "Fat, white gammon Piers Morgan claims black people calling him a 'fat, white gammon' is racist

Deleted member 55689

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 5, 2019
gammon isn't racist though
just cause the nuclear nine resembled a table spread doesn't mean they all do. gammon is an ideology
sure if they're gammon. James Cleverly, gammon as fuck
So, although it literally refers to their skin colour, it's nothing to do with their skin colour. Seems convenient.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Katie Hopkins probably fits the bill.

Yeah, make up probably makes it harder to think of one, all I know is that white gammon doesn't work, they need to look like they are on the verge of exploding.

Actually I'm not sure about Hopkins, she never seems shouty, she seems fairly at ease with being awful.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think body-shaming is ever the way to go. But he IS a piece of shit human being.
Wasn't familiar with the term "gammon" yet. Had to Google that (English is not my first language).

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
This thread doesn't sit well with me.

I'm black and my secondary school was predominantly black and asian kids. One of the kids in my class had to suffer persistent abuse for being white, to the point where he'd threaten to kill himself, would slam his head against the wall and scream throughout class. He had mental problems and his situation only made it that much worse.

The way some of you are acting like white people can't be on the receiving end of racism.. Nah.

Obviously I hate Piers Morgan too, but the gammon thing never sat right with me. Just allows worms like him to play the victim while others might feel the actual consequences of the hate that's brewing.

Oct 26, 2017
Such a non sequitur.

I want less racism, not more. If you feel using the term helps reduce racism then fair enough. I think it increases racism.

Sure that'd be great but probably not happening in this country when this is the reaction to people who suffer the effects of actual racism in this country. It's like when people claim 'racist' is a slur.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this view. Of course, you don't face the same racism as a minority when you're a native in a country where your race is a massive majority.

We should care about all racism because the problem is it normalises racism. If you use the term gammon, you are a racist, and you are making racism in all forms more acceptable.

I don't think racism has historically been an issue for white people, so the use of 'white' and 'gammon' as insults towards white people seems less like a problem because it doesn't recall centuries of oppression.

Mind you, it could also just be the Piers Morgan effect whereby anything negative directed towards the man, physical and emotional, regardless of how technically egregious it is, can be seen as deserved because he's an awful, awful man.

Deleted member 55689

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
I don't think racism has historically been an issue for white people, so the use of 'white' and 'gammon' as insults towards white people seems less like a problem because it doesn't recall centuries of oppression.
I don't think it's a problem because it hurts white people's feelings or white people will be discriminated against for housing or jobs or criminal sentencing, etc in countries where they are the majority.

I think it's a problem because it is a racist term and it makes racism more acceptable.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Piers Morgan constantly has an expression on his face like he can smell his own fart and he's not sure about whether he likes it or not.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get this view. Of course, you don't face the same racism as a minority when you're a native in a country where your race is a massive majority.

We should care about all racism because the problem is it normalises racism. If you use the term gammon, you are a racist, and you are making racism in all forms more acceptable.

You obviously don't understand the meaning of "gammon" then. It's not related to race. It's a class/boomer thing.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Piers saying this is that he legitimately is a voice and a platform for these viewpoints and the people who believe in them.

It's just adding building blocks. He is speaking for people who already don't think racism is an issue in Britain, who don't think people like Meghan Markle are being racially targeted, who absolutely do not like being told that they're being racist, and now they even have an angle to feel like they are the ones experiencing racism.

Piers speaks to and for substantial swathes of Britain who can now add a sense of persecution to their inherent and rampant ignorance.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
You obviously don't understand the meaning of "gammon" then. It's not related to race. It's a class/boomer thing.
I think it originates from Nicholas Nickelby. If I remember correctly from hearing it last year one of the characters referred to another's comments as 'gammon-ey' because of their red-faced, blind extolling of the country's greatness.

Oct 28, 2017
I think it originates from Nicholas Nickelby. If I remember correctly from hearing it last year one of the characters referred to another's comments as 'gammon-ey' because of their red-faced, blind extolling of the country's greatness.
It's modern usage originates from 9 red faced old duffers who dared to question the dear leader over his stance on nukes in the 2017 UK general election on question time. See the pic posted up thread. Nothing to do with race really. That's just a coincidence.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it is racist, but it's kind of hard to care about when it's used against racist dickheads like Piers or random Brexit voter.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say the worse white slur "Cracker" was invented by white people to other white people

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
He's a vile cunt and his insane obsessive hatred of Meghan shouldn't be allowed on broadcast TV, or anywhere else for that matter.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
JS148504358ed.jpg

LMAO.

Perfection.

Oct 29, 2017
White middle aged/old Englishman that's right wing and goes a shade of pink when mad. Coined after a bunch of then asked questions on a weekly British show called 'Question Time' which is basically the public asking questions to and criticising important politicians, media figures, business leaders, etc... To their faces.

Used to be an okay show but since Brexit has become utter shit.

Nov 18, 2017
Ehhhh i can see his point, ive used the term gammon to describe people im white but maybe that doesnt make it right. The phrase only works when describing a white person therefore It is racially charged.

Remember, we are not them & he's right here. He is still a grade A vile prick & absolutely a hypocrite as he is a racist himself. Also didnt he hack dead childrens phones to get a scoop for the news of the world? Seriously despise the UK media for still giving this criminal any time of day.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
White middle aged/old Englishman that's right wing and goes a shade of pink when mad. Coined after a bunch of then asked questions on a weekly British show called 'Question Time' which is basically the public asking questions to and criticising important politicians, media figures, business leaders, etc... To their faces.

Used to be an okay show but since Brexit has become utter shit.
thank you!

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Ehhhh i can see his point, ive used the term gammon to describe people im white but maybe that doesnt make it right. The phrase only works when describing a white person therefore It is racially charged.

Remember, we are not them & he's right here. He is still a grade A vile prick & absolutely a hypocrite as he is a racist himself. Also didnt he hack dead childrens phones to get a scoop for the news of the world? Seriously despise the UK media for still giving this criminal any time of day.

The importance difference here is that you get the gammon moniker because of your views and actions.

These are things that people can fairly judge you on.

If you are a middle aged, slightly rotund, English gent marching for Remain or refugees, no one is calling you a gammon.

If someone is being actually racist, they are doing it based entirely on someone's skin colour or heritage. Something they can't change and should never have to.

The trap they are pulling here is to equate the two to both derail the original discussion and also shift what focus onto the people of colour. This happens all the time. What's starts as a discussion of racism against black people ends up with black people having to defend themselves from accusations of racism. It's mad!

The problem of course is that many people in the UK and elsewhere think that because overt racism is no longer common place, that means that racism is over. Speak to people of colour and they will not agree with that assessment and they probably know better than Piers Morgan.

Nov 18, 2017
The importance difference here is that you get the gammon moniker because of your views and actions.

These are things that people can fairly judge you on.

If you are a middle aged, slightly rotund, English gent marching for Remain or refugees, no one is calling you a gammon.

If someone is being actually racist, they are doing it based entirely on someone's skin colour or heritage. Something they can't change and should never have to.

The trap they are pulling here is to equate the two to both derail the original discussion and also shift what focus onto the people of colour. This happens all the time. What's starts as a discussion of racism against black people ends up with black people having to defend themselves from accusations of racism. It's mad!

The problem of course is that many people in the UK and elsewhere think that because overt racism is no longer common place, that means that racism is over. Speak to people of colour and they will not agree with that assessment and they probably know better than Piers Morgan.

Man thats a damn good write up and a fair point about Gammon being a reaction to the persons views, but as you said this gives them an opportunity to turn it round, because it is a racist remark. Like you said it puts the 2 arguments on equal footing when their not at all. I think the answer is to stop using gammon and giving the racists more ammunition.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Said it for years.
People like him and Trump love to be hated, its being laughed at their egos cannot handle at all.