• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
When will the mass migrations(or military invasions) of Canada, Russia and the Nordic lands begin?
WeStandOnGuard_01-1.png

Oct 25, 2017
Like voting eh?

So if 3,7 billion people made an individual choice of massive reducement of their footprint, that wouldn't make a difference? This sort of attitude is just putting the issue onto others.

Elected officials walk back on campaign promises and get stonewalled by political oposition every day. Got a solution for that?

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Do you have a solution to the reverse? As in politicians enabling a footprint free living but individuals do t do it and care?
You got a solution that doesn't involve talking down to people with no real power or influence over the situation?

Guys please get along.

You know we need both. Individuals changes won't tip the situation if politicians don't follow suit, but you can be damn sure that they WON'T if the populace isn't changing and asking for change.

I for one believe bottom up can influence the situation. It starts with individuals, then groups, then cities, then states, and THEN at least we can hope people in power will follow suit.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
I'm not a fan of summer or heat in general, so I'm definitely glad to live in a Nordic country. There are heatwaves here too in summer but at least they're not as extreme (yet) as in some other countries.

Oct 25, 2017
Guys please get along.

You know we need both. Individuals changes won't tip the situation if politicians don't follow suit, but you can be damn sure that they WON'T if the populace isn't changing and asking for change.

I for one believe bottom up can influence the situation. It starts with individuals, then groups, then cities, then states, and THEN at least we can hope people in power will follow suit.

I have yet to participate in an election where my vote actually amounted to something because conservative America just chooses to ignore the rules every time and the people I vote for always fail at their agendas. But sure, I'll keep trying. I'm sure it'll work someday. In the mean time, I'll buy more LEDs and cut back to eating meat once a month.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its crazy how the richest people on the planet have completely fucked us all and governments, especially the US and whatnot, don't give a shit to do anything about these sociopathic pieces of shit.

It's logical. The richest people on the planet and the politicians actually have a reason for maintaining the status quo, they get rich/maintain power. When I mentioned reducing work hours, production and consumption as a way to affect climate change you get people on a video game forum defending capitalism. They're the sociopaths, people hardly getting anything back from a system that will ultimately fuck up everyone's lives willing to defend it like they're a Fox News pundit.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You actually increased your footprint by replacing working appliances by new more efficient ones. But I'm happy that you found a way to feel better about yourself and superior to others.

Considering I bought them brand new when first moving into this house, as opposed to when I previously rented and had no choice on what appliances were in my residence, I think I've done the best I could.

I consciously chose to get energy efficient stuff right off the bat. The "replacing" in this situation was a result of moving.

Same goes for my car, I drove my previous vehicle into the ground. It was 15 years old. I bought it used and drove it for 13, I'm not the type of person who buys a new TV every two years, it's about longevity and reducing electronic waste.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Solar panels are still too expensive. I hearing something like $105 per month for 15years to lease for a 1200sq ft home.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering I bought them brand new when first moving into this house, as opposed to when I previously rented and had no choice on what appliances were in my residence, I think I've done the best I could.

I consciously chose to get energy efficient stuff right off the bat. The "replacing" in this situation was a result of moving.

Same goes for my car, I drove my previous vehicle into the ground. It was 15 years old. I bought it used and drove it for 13, I'm not the type of person who buys a new TV every two years, it's about longevity and reducing electronic waste.

You live in a house? Wasteful.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Try working the boiler that keeps that power ON in those temperatures sometime. Heat stress is no joke where I hang my hardhat. Some stuff just can't be worked on. We use wet bulb readings to tell how long per hour were allowed in an area. If the tolerances are to short a window for a job we can't work on it to put equipment back in service.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You live in a house? Wasteful.

Again, I'm a monster :P (your sarcasm wasn't lost on me here lol)

If 'consumerism' and capitalism are the enemy, then all I'm trying to do is make the best possible choices I can given my own personal situation. I still believe individual contributions do matter, and am hopeful that corporations and governments will pick up the other end of the rope before its too late.

For everyone who says that no matter what we're doomed, all I can hope for is that sense of dread can be turned into something actionable, something that you can use to spur real change via whatever means are available to you, like voting based on ideals that match your own.

And with that, I'm exiting the thread. I have stated (and defended) my viewpoint and been called toxic for it, I've been told that all my choices don't matter, and how dare I be affluent enough to afford the ability to make the choices I have, and therefore I must be holier than thou... but hey, that's the nature of the internet.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Says the person on the internet forum, what steps have you personally taken to curb global warming? (not an attack, it's an actual question)

I've:

- Replaced all bulbs with LEDs
- Set all major electronics and vampire draining tech to be on killswitches when not in use (smart plugs to fully block power drain)
- Replaced the entirety of my appliances with energy efficient ones
- Utilize rain barrels to reduce water consumption
- Own an electric vehicle

I'm working towards solar as my main source of energy as well, but that's an affordability thing.

Far too many people say "We should do something" but then proceed to live their life thinking individual choices don't matter, but they do, because the less we end up using, the less needs to be generated and hopefully it all trickles back upward.

We mean the government should do something to maintain out comfortable lifestyles while also protecting the environment. Not individuals.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Says the person on the internet forum, what steps have you personally taken to curb global warming? (not an attack, it's an actual question)

I've:

- Set all major electronics and vampire draining tech to be on killswitches when not in use (smart plugs to fully block power drain)

I'm working towards solar as my main source of energy as well, but that's an affordability thing.

Far too many people say "We should do something" but then proceed to live their life thinking individual choices don't matter, but they do, because the less we end up using, the less needs to be generated and hopefully it all trickles back upward.
You sound like you got money. I can't do much where I'm from but unplug shit when I'm not using it.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Again, I'm a monster :P (your sarcasm wasn't lost on me here lol)

If 'consumerism' and capitalism are the enemy, then all I'm trying to do is make the best possible choices I can given my own personal situation. I still believe individual contributions do matter, and am hopeful that corporations and governments will pick up the other end of the rope before its too late.

For everyone who says that no matter what we're doomed, all I can hope for is that sense of dread can be turned into something actionable, something that you can use to spur real change via whatever means are available to you, like voting based on ideals that match your own.

And with that, I'm exiting the thread. I have stated (and defended) my viewpoint and been called toxic for it, I've been told that all my choices don't matter, and how dare I be affluent enough to afford the ability to make the choices I have, and therefore I must be holier than thou... but hey, that's the nature of the internet.
You came into the thread being toxic, then you get called toxic and get offended lol.

Also everything you've done for the environment is out of selfish needs. You didnt sacrifice anything in your lifestyle.

Need a new car, bought an EV. Moved? Bought new appliances. Need new bulbs? Spent $20 to save on your electric bill in the long run.

Now if you said. I use to have a car but got rid it and decided to do all my transportation with a bycycle, or bus then we got something here, but your lifestyle may have even improved due to your environmental consciousness lol.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
When being in the United States illegally isn't the worst thing because of all this, as I can just fuck off back to South America

Pretty sure the further south you go, the more you will feel the crazy climate change impacted heatwave/domes.

The UK has a way to go before we get to those sort of temperatures on a regular basis. Bigger worry is flooding.

Sorry, to clarify, the thing about the UK itself wasn't totally heat related exactly(that would be more accurate for France), but coastal water encroachment issues. The availability of land may not be what it is currently today, due to the seas pushing inwards and also your point about further rainfall.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you live above 30 latitude you'll be fine for the next 30 years, if a little uncomfortable, probably. Your bigger worry is climate refugees destabilizing your politics and swinging it to the right.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

I've:

That was obvious sarcasm you quoted.

Also, your entire list is an "affordability thing" for millions.

Minus LED bulbs in most places...you can get them at the dollar store now (not sure how efficient they are though).

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Guys please get along.

Yeah, the real purpose of all of these individual focused movements is bringing attention to the issue and making sure people know its serious and what to change. If that happens enough then people will start voting for more green politicians.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Yeah, the real purpose of all of these individual focused movements is bringing attention to the issue and making sure people know its serious and what to change. If that happens enough then people will start voting for more green politicians.

Exactly. Also add the factor that by putting pressure on the market (you pay you vote!), we can accelerate the transition to green tech / products.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Start planting trees people. We need a thousands of millions of new trees to grow in the next ten years.
I have a solar panel in my house and I recicle rain water, but if everyone started by planting one tree, we could all have new millions trees every year.
I know trees are not the only answer, but let's try doing what we can.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Exactly. Also add the factor that by putting pressure on the market (you pay you vote!), we can accelerate the transition to green tech / products.
The only real improvement I can think of is that we need need more movements focused in politics too. They exist, but recently I think enough people care that they can actually start making a difference if there were more.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Start planting trees people. We need a thousands of millions of new trees to grow in the next ten years.
I have a solar panel in my house and I recicle rain water, but if everyone started by planting one tree, we could all have new millions trees every year.
I know trees are not the only answer, but let's try doing what we can.

Yes. And you don't even have do to it yourself. You can use ecosia as a search engine, buy your clothes at tentree, or give money to organizations that plant trees, etc.

More details here : https://www.resetera.com/threads/ot-climate-change-fight.60534/

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
What a nice way to kick off the week. With articles like this... sigh. We're totally fucked for real isn'it? This kind of stuff is honestly the main reason I'm inclining more and more to not have kids. Heck I even read an article that at this point in time is actually more benefitial to everyone if people stops having kids... Not sure if it was real or not but boy... This shit is getting truly scary now.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
What if it's a systemic problem caused by rich corporations who've known about it the entire time but refused to do a thing because they wouldn't profit.

But no, it's because nobody wants to buy LEDs.

Rich Corporations are staffed by humans, invested by humans, and their products are bought by humans. To address Climate Change will require sacrifice on the part of everyone and total reorganization of society. It's going to cost us trillions of dollars. If we can't even transition to LEDs how in the hell are we supposed to institute carbon taxes, transition away from oil, eat less beef, etc.

Their are over 80 million millionaires in the world. We're not talking about a small group of people here. This isn't a video game where killing the final boss solves everything. If we all don't work together we're choosing the path of collective suicide.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
One issue I see is governments guilting individuals(the yellow vest move illustrates this imo)while dismissing pollution made by companies, whose CEO often has friends in the government of course.
Blaming companies doesn't mean you believe in conspiracies. Indiviudal actions canhelpbut companies are a major part of the problem.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Rich Corporations are staffed by humans, invested by humans, and their products are bought by humans. To address Climate Change will require sacrifice on the part of everyone and total reorganization of society. It's going to cost us trillions of dollars. If we can't even transition to LEDs how in the hell are we supposed to institute carbon taxes, transition away from oil, eat less beef, etc.

Their are over 80 million millionaires in the world. We're not talking about a small group of people here. This isn't a video game where killing the final boss solves everything. If we all don't work together we're choosing the path of collective suicide.

80 is a whole lot fewer than 7b.
Making it so that the source of pollution change vs the users is the fastest way to change.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Making it so that the source of pollution change vs the users is the fastest way to change.

That's still going to cost the end user. A Crabon Tax will lead to an increase at the gas pump. Transiting to renewable energy fuels will lead to higher hydro prices at first. Here in Ontario most people consider Climate Change real and a serious threat but that doesn't stop people from bitching about higher hydro costs and wanting the carbon tax repealed.

They still haven't gotten into their thick skulls that the era of the McMansion and automobile must come to an end for our survival.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That was obvious sarcasm you quoted.

Also, your entire list is an "affordability thing" for millions.

Minus LED bulbs in most places...you can get them at the dollar store now (not sure how efficient they are though).

the woke white guy environmentalist starter kit.

get yourself a tesla and some LED bulbs brehs.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
Oh look, another refugee crisis on the horizon! If right wingers think the situation is bad now, just wait 10 years and then those climate denial chickens can really come home to roost.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know how many guns are in circulation in the US?

Saving as many of these people as possible will be the problem, not stopping them.
I realize I worded that poorly. I meant to point out that if people with anti-immigrant sentiments are sweating over the current situation with Syria and Central America they will have no way to deal with what's coming 10, 20 years down the line.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I realize I worded that poorly. I meant to point out that if people with anti-immigrant sentiments are sweating over the current situation with Syria and Central America they will have no way to deal with what's coming 10, 20 years down the line.

There are plenty of ways to deal with what's coming. The fascists on the right are priming the population for it right now.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You keep assuming that this has to be placed on the individual and not that we need societal wide changes that has to be fought on a macro level. Getting Joe Average to drive a Tesla is not going to be anywhere near as effective as say joining a greater collective to fight getting Fossil Fuel subsidies removed. I know that sounds hard but it's way more effective to stop a billion dollar corporation who's waste footprint far exceeds the scope of any individual comprehension than effectively shaming 1 or 2 middle-class families at most, to reduce their footprint in slight ways. By all means if you wanna do all of that do, it'll help and I think everyone should be more aware of the waste we produce, but this is one of those situations where have to fight from the top down to make the most impact.

It's not really beating a final boss in a video game as it is a domino effect.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
It fustrates me to no end that I'm powerless to make any real contribution aside from just doing what I do now. Folks in poorer communities or those who don't have as much income are fucked. I am doing what I can but I know it's never going to be enough. Yet I pray to see the world will become better since people arnt stupid enough to keep letting this happen in the next few years. Tho if the day comes and we all wear thermal suits then damn what a weird future we created. I guess I'm going to live my life to the fullest with the friends I've made and keep moving on. This is not the end of humanity but it's going to take all of it to keep things together.