• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I was born in '85, technically I fall within the definition of "Millenial".

And I was referring to myself in my post RE: fast food, so did I avacado myself?

I'm fairly certain my power is a mixture of hydro-electric, wind and nuclear in origin.
My power is 100% renewable too. But this is Texas where you can choose your electricity provider and have disclosed how the power is being delivered. And even then, you're essentially buying credits. So your direct power is likely coming from coal or oil but at least your money is funding green energy through credits.

But that's not typical or possible everywhere. And it still isn't ideal. But my overall point is that a multinational and global effort is truly needed to right the ship.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the timetables on this, it's highly likely that we'll find a way to adapt either biologically or technologically.

Or just you know, ramp up the racism and isolationism and keep different people out of the liveable areas because they are "not welcome" and avoid having to invest in things like technology or education.

Then look the other way.

Probably that one.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Or just you know, ramp up the racism and isolationism and keep different people out of the liveable areas because they are "not welcome" and avoid having to invest in things like technology or education.

Probably that one.
Yeah it's clear the reaction will be increased violence towards immigrants within countries and at the borders. Already happening as we speak.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

And your awareness of your own situation, the steps you've taken to do what you can, is likely more than most people have done. You're taking the steps you can and I applaud you on it. I'm also not going to tell you that you could be doing more, because clearly you're doing what you can in your own situation.

You are in the right mindset for meaningful change, and as I said before, any change, even small ones, will add up into something bigger. If more people had the outlook and mindfulness of their own usage like you do, then actual change will be made for good.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its crazy how the richest people on the planet have completely fucked us all and governments, especially the US and whatnot, don't give a shit to do anything about these sociopathic pieces of shit.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people that have the real power to tackle this problem are wealthy enough to protect themselves from the majority of climate change's effects and thus don't give a fuck.

We're fucked.
once the world turns into a mad max wasteland their wealth isn't going to mean shit. only those that monopolize resources like water or fuel are gonna have any real power. they will always have to monopolize them too because as soon as they can't pay their protectors they will get massacred.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree and I'm not blind to that fact, but I think the whole "I can't afford it therefore I choose not to do it" argument is an unfortunately flawed one.

A lot of people can't afford a lot of things, but if you manage to make even a small change when possible, it will eventually cascade into a bigger change down the line.

I didn't switch my home over to all the smart shit overnight, it took years of buying one plug here or one plug there instead of getting myself some shitty fast food for dinner.

Keep an eye on sales for LED lights, look for incentives to help lessen the burden of cost - if you're serious about helping and don't want to just armchair comment (and I am NOT saying that applies to anyone here / in this thread), then the effort should be made.

Everything you do as an individual, while well-meaning, is basically meaningless. Policy change, infrastructure renovation, and a complete overhaul of how resources are used on a mass industrial scale needs to happen to have any real impact on what's happening. Replacing your lightbulbs with LEDs isn't going to do shit about shit except make you feel better about yourself and, apparently, let you humblebrag on internet forums. It's like banning plastic straws; sure, it's better than doing nothing, but it's 0.02% of the problem at most and is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic unless larger scale changes happen in arenas that we can't do much about except call our representatives and hope somebody listens.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Governments have to cooperate and take action. We can't do anything to tackle this issue individually. It's beyond that.

This post exists in every climate change thread and while, yes absolutely governments should be taking dramatic actions, individual action is critical. People have to change the way they live and consume, and trying to consider every way in which you can become carbon neutral (and governments facilitating that) is an essential step here. Individual responsibility is a critical part of all this.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Everything you do as an individual, while well-meaning, is basically meaningless.

I must ask why you believe this?

If you've essentially already given up, then there's no way to inspire others to try.

I refuse to believe that individual contributions don't matter, no matter how insignificant they may seem.

It's like banning plastic straws; sure, it's better than doing nothing, but it's 0.02% of the problem at most and is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic unless larger scale changes happen in arenas that we can't do much about except call our representatives and hope somebody listens.

You mean like this?

The ban could extend to single use items such as straws, water bottles, plastic bags, kitchen utensils, stirring sticks and other fast food accessories.

During the last G7 summit, Canada and four other major economies signed a charter calling for full recycling and re-use of plastic products, or burning those products as fuel.

The United States and Japan did not sign the charter.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This post exists in every climate change thread and while, yes absolutely governments should be taking dramatic actions, individual action is critical. People have to change the way they live and consume, and trying to consider every way in which you can become carbon neutral (and governments facilitating that) is an essential step here. Individual responsibility is a critical part of all this.
Yup. Also, give an example, and people may follow. If not, at least you tried and that's better than being pessimistic.

Samuel

Oct 27, 2017
It's really hard to grasp the idea of how inhabitable the world is getting when we live in the modern world with air conditioners everywhere.

We forget that many countries don't have as much access to that kind of luxury and have to endure >40° on their own. Meanwhile I can barely go a few hours without an aircon in mid 30° heat.. We are slowly but surely killing ourselves.

Deleted member 25445

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When being in the United States illegally isn't the worst thing because of all this, as I can just fuck off back to South America

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Also, give an example, and people may follow. If not, at least you tried and that's better than being pessimistic.

Sure - I posted it in the last thread where this came up too.

1. Get charged up with renewables (transition to renewable energy)
2. Green your commute - bike/transit/car share
3. Use energy wisely
4. Eat for a climate-stable planet - eat meat-free, don't waste, buy local/organic
5. Consume less, waste less - essentially reduce your consumerism
6. Divest from fossil fuels - cancel any investments you have in conventional fossil fuel industry
7. Invest in renewables
8. Help put a price on pollution - advocate your support for carbon pricing (and similar strategies depending on where you are)
9. Vote
10. Tell your story, listen to others

It really is exhausting reading all the Chicken Little posts in these threads. It's here, it's happening - let's fucking do something about it.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I must ask why you believe this?

If you've essentially already given up, then there's no way to inspire others to try.

I refuse to believe that individual contributions don't matter, no matter how insignificant they may seem.
I think maybe because there is some precedence for this. Recycling has had a major campaign behind it for decades all focused on individual participation.

What do we find out is happening? Governments are sending tainted recycling to developing countries to deal with, dump in the ocean, burn, or bury. Individuals are on some level at fault, but many were also encouraged to go to single stream recycling which boosts raw participation but lowers the recycling quality.

What would things look like had state and federal governments mandated companies made packaging and certain products with a certain percentage of recycled content? I bet you'd see more urgency and innovation on part of governments and companies. The below article has a solid breakdown I think.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I use led lights, only use AC when there's a heatwave, don't drive, hell I barely cook. I grow my own veggies. What I'm trying to get at is, it's beyond these measures, we have to take action to influence policy. We don't have time to just preach about being more green.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I use led lights, only use AC when there's a heatwave, don't drive, hell I barely cook. I grow my own veggies. What I'm trying to get at is, it's beyond these measures, we have to take action to influence policy. We don't have time to just preach about being more green.

Man, but the vaaaaast majority of people are not doing these things. I just don't think it's mutually exclusive - we can advocate for change, but I think a major way to send that message is to change individual habits. Corporations that are trying to sell people shit and governments trying to obtain votes will take notice.

Anyways, kudos on your contributions. The impact if even 1/3 of the population took those measures would be enormous.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Says the person on the internet forum, what steps have you personally taken to curb global warming? (not an attack, it's an actual question)

I've:

- Replaced all bulbs with LEDs
- Set all major electronics and vampire draining tech to be on killswitches when not in use (smart plugs to fully block power drain)
- Replaced the entirety of my appliances with energy efficient ones
- Utilize rain barrels to reduce water consumption
- Own an electric vehicle

I'm working towards solar as my main source of energy as well, but that's an affordability thing.

Far too many people say "We should do something" but then proceed to live their life thinking individual choices don't matter, but they do, because the less we end up using, the less needs to be generated and hopefully it all trickles back upward.

actually, even if every single person in the world limited their carbon footprint, it would still only account for a minority of the damage. Corporations are responsible for the vast majority of it, and instead of shaming other people you should focus on trying to enact political change to force these companies to change.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Says the person on the internet forum, what steps have you personally taken to curb global warming? (not an attack, it's an actual question)

I've:

- Replaced all bulbs with LEDs
- Set all major electronics and vampire draining tech to be on killswitches when not in use (smart plugs to fully block power drain)
- Replaced the entirety of my appliances with energy efficient ones
- Utilize rain barrels to reduce water consumption
- Own an electric vehicle

I'm working towards solar as my main source of energy as well, but that's an affordability thing.

Far too many people say "We should do something" but then proceed to live their life thinking individual choices don't matter, but they do, because the less we end up using, the less needs to be generated and hopefully it all trickles back upward.
your individual choices ultimately won't matter

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
We need to revolt, and you know against who and what.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I really wish I could afford to equip my home with solar panelling. It's just too expensive.

I might be able to get an electric car when we eventually replace our current one. Our appliances are already high efficiency. I run the a/c more than I'd like to, but it's basically been unending heat and we have a little one I'm afraid of letting get too hot.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
If this existence turns out to be some sort of "simulation" or alien video game, OF COURSE I'd be stupid enough to select the damn end times level/era to witness the ending :/

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If this existence turns out to be some sort of "simulation" or alien video game, OF COURSE I'd be stupid enough to select the damn end times level/era to witness the ending :/

We'll be dead or old by the time resources (water, arable land) get scarce enough to trigger wars. It's our children that are gonna suffer.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
And your awareness of your own situation, the steps you've taken to do what you can, is likely more than most people have done. You're taking the steps you can and I applaud you on it. I'm also not going to tell you that you could be doing more, because clearly you're doing what you can in your own situation.

You are in the right mindset for meaningful change, and as I said before, any change, even small ones, will add up into something bigger. If more people had the outlook and mindfulness of their own usage like you do, then actual change will be made for good.

As long as you're integrated into society, there's not much you can do to survive without the help of others, let alone in a climate crisis. Human civilization is the manifestation of our collective will to survive and thrive as a species, and so long as that remains true, we are forced to depend on each other to survive.

Everything you do as an individual, while well-meaning, is basically meaningless. Policy change, infrastructure renovation, and a complete overhaul of how resources are used on a mass industrial scale needs to happen to have any real impact on what's happening. Replacing your lightbulbs with LEDs isn't going to do shit about shit except make you feel better about yourself and, apparently, let you humblebrag on internet forums. It's like banning plastic straws; sure, it's better than doing nothing, but it's 0.02% of the problem at most and is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic unless larger scale changes happen in arenas that we can't do much about except call our representatives and hope somebody listens.

Pretty much.

Also:

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
And it's only going to get worse from here on out.

Yeah, no doubt. Thanks to the carbon lag effect, we're probably feeling only the accumulated carbon released up until 2000. 2008 at the latest. Meanwhile:

51co2-emissions.jpg

Not great, Bob.

Earth hasn't even seen nor felt our final form yet. Arctic will continue getting hit twice as hard as anywhere else though, and once blue ocean events start occurring with regularity, that will be basically be that. Not going to be great to lose our freezer.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I can't wait until parts of our planet are devastated due to climate change so I can see people still denying it. It honestly has to be the dumbest way to become extinct. It was a test of greed and we failed so damn hard.

Magni

Articles written that millennials have no right to complain about being poor because of how much they spend on frivolities like avocado toast. Basically saying that hardships are self-made and can be solved simply by budgeting them away. That's basically what you just did. And, like the article, it's ivory-tower horseshit.

Eh, there's quite a difference between blaming avocado toast for people not being able to afford homes, and blaming shitty fast food for not being able to buy LED light bulbs. You skip the fast food once and you've got your bulb. You have to skip tons (literally) of avocado toast to even get close to a down-payment.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
My power is 100% renewable too. But this is Texas where you can choose your electricity provider and have disclosed how the power is being delivered. And even then, you're essentially buying credits. So your direct power is likely coming from coal or oil but at least your money is funding green energy through credits.

But that's not typical or possible everywhere. And it still isn't ideal. But my overall point is that a multinational and global effort is truly needed to right the ship.
Why would they burn oil for generating electricity? One of the big benefits of oil is that it's easy to transport, hence burning it locally is a bit of a waste.

Texas seems like a promising location for renewable energy...
It already generates a significant portion of energy from wind (more than coal): https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/25/us/texas-wind-energy-trnd/index.html (number one is natural gas)
Also solar would work well there: https://www.nrel.gov/gis/images/solar/solar_ghi_2018_usa_scale_01.jpg
The central US seems great for electricity from wind: https://www.nrel.gov/gis/images/100m_wind/awstwspd100onoff3-1.jpg

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Then look the other way.

Probably that one.

We'll certainly do both. A European Union border wall's gonna be quite the technological endeavour I'd imagine.

Watching people cheer as we gun down innocents is the future we're going to see

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Hmm...

You know those theories that greys are humans from the future? This sounds kinda a lot like the path you'd take to become greys....

Also on more serious terms... fuck this we need to reverse this. Shit.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you think white people hate brown migrants now...

I fully expect a true genocide of migrants (and even Americans/Europeans on the left will be for it) in a generation when the effects of climate change ramp up.

I think we're going to hit 5-6 C of warming, not enough to kill humanity, but enough to render some parts uninhabitable and it's the parts held by brown people. It's also going to hurt the rest of the world, but it will muddle on.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
im not having children

Everytime I tell an actual baby boomer that I won't have kids they act shocked. Gee, why would I not want kids when my generation is doomed to be less financially stable than our parents, climate change is rapidly accelerating, resource wars are inevitable and fascism is on the rise...

Having kids is selfish to me. The least one could do is adopt.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
That's ridiculous talk.
If about 50k people actively reduced their carbon footprint and also motivated their friends and family, hell maybe even their work places, to do the same it would make a real change.
It's this defeatist attitude that doesn't help in change.
Lmfao so you admit that everyone on this forum would not be enough then

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll certainly do both. A European Union border wall's gonna be quite the technological endeavour I'd imagine.

Watching people cheer as we gun down innocents is the future we're going to see

I don't think things will get quite as bleak as that.

People will be able to watch from the comforts of their own air conditioned home, we won't really see them cheering as such.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, there's quite a difference between blaming avocado toast for people not being able to afford homes, and blaming shitty fast food for not being able to buy LED light bulbs. You skip the fast food once and you've got your bulb. You have to skip tons (literally) of avocado toast to even get close to a down-payment.
Who doesn't even have LED bulbs now? Seriously? Is there someone on this forum that stocked up on incandescent bulbs years ago that's still burning through their stock? Do they live in a repurposed warehouse using those flourescent light strips? It's like telling someone to buy a car that uses unleaded gas at this point. I'd be willing to wager that most people already have LED bulbs and just don't know it and don't defend themselves when pressed with "buy LED bulbs noob!"