• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Governments have to cooperate and take action. We can't do anything to tackle this issue individually. It's beyond that.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Everything but the electric car /applicance switchover can be done on a modest budget.

LED bulbs aren't that expensive, simple smart plugs can be had for $20 -- throw one of those ahead of a $10 powerbar that you plug your tv/console/pc into and you're on your way.

Not sure what my financial situation has to do with anything, just be conscious of your consumption, do your best to reduce it, and it will fucking help.
You were being elitist and bragging, if you actually gave a shit you'd have said something like this from the start.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Everything but the electric car /applicance switchover can be done on a modest budget.

LED bulbs aren't that expensive, simple smart plugs can be had for $20 -- throw one of those ahead of a $10 powerbar that you plug your tv/console/pc into and you're on your way.

Not sure what my financial situation has to do with anything, just be conscious of your consumption, do your best to reduce it, and it will fucking help.
All those clean life choices, and yet you choose to be toxic.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole climate change stuff is like watching Independence Day and Will Smith decides to fight the Earth's destruction by voting or doing nothing.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm not tired of hearing how we're all going to die soon
I'm tired of how little people seem to give a fuck, where are the riots on the streets demanding inmediate action? The Democrats seem to think climate change is something that can be safely ignored, and the Republicans don't even think it's real. And other governments like Brazil's are doing whatever they can to actively destroy the planet.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You were being elitist and bragging, if you actually gave a shit you'd have said something like this from the start.
Lol he came into the thread like:
giphy.gif

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I think one of the biggest things we can do is consume less meat. I'm trying to cut it to every other day...I want to get it down to once a week if possible.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's literally the two biggest differences you're making, and they're dependent on being at least somewhat well-off. A lot of people just can't afford to live green.

I don't disagree and I'm not blind to that fact, but I think the whole "I can't afford it therefore I choose not to do it" argument is an unfortunately flawed one.

A lot of people can't afford a lot of things, but if you manage to make even a small change when possible, it will eventually cascade into a bigger change down the line.

I didn't switch my home over to all the smart shit overnight, it took years of buying one plug here or one plug there instead of getting myself some shitty fast food for dinner.

Keep an eye on sales for LED lights, look for incentives to help lessen the burden of cost - if you're serious about helping and don't want to just armchair comment (and I am NOT saying that applies to anyone here / in this thread), then the effort should be made.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018

Individual changes are a grain of salt in a desert, you need wide policy changes for it to actually matter. Also do you eat meat or own pets? Animal agriculture is a major contributor to our predicament.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't disagree and I'm not blind to that fact, but I think the whole "I can't afford it therefore I choose not to do it" argument is an unfortunately flawed one.

A lot of people can't afford a lot of things, but if you manage to make even a small change when possible, it will eventually cascade into a bigger change down the line.

I didn't switch my home over to all the smart shit overnight, it took years of buying one plug here or one plug there instead of getting myself some shitty fast food for dinner.

Keep an eye on sales for LED lights, look for incentives to help lessen the burden of cost - if you're serious about helping and don't want to just armchair comment (and I am NOT saying that applies to anyone here / in this thread), then the effort should be made.
Ahhh, the "avocado toast" argument. Was waiting for that.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
While it's true, we as individuals should being doing more. It's a drop in the ocean (no pun intended) compared to the impact that our governments should be making.

Considering the common people have elected climate change deniers like Trump and Bolsonaro, they don't get to avoid the blame. Climate Change is a good example of the Tragedy of the Commons: a problem with so many people responsible for it (in this case 7.5 billion) that everyone feels they're not part of the problem. So what happens is nothing gets done to solve the problem because no one is willing to admit blame and change their behaviour. They'd rather point fingers at other people.

Look up to see what happened with the Atlantic Cod to get a taste of what will happen with Climate Change.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Says the person on the internet forum, what steps have you personally taken to curb global warming? (not an attack, it's an actual question)

I've:

- Replaced all bulbs with LEDs
- Set all major electronics and vampire draining tech to be on killswitches when not in use (smart plugs to fully block power drain)
- Replaced the entirety of my appliances with energy efficient ones
- Utilize rain barrels to reduce water consumption
- Own an electric vehicle

I'm working towards solar as my main source of energy as well, but that's an affordability thing.

Far too many people say "We should do something" but then proceed to live their life thinking individual choices don't matter, but they do, because the less we end up using, the less needs to be generated and hopefully it all trickles back upward.
That's nice and all, but if your power is connected to a coal power plant or something, it will matter little in the long run. The types of changes needed are at the national and global level with investment and building of low emissions energy production, banning greenhouse pollution as much as possible, forcing companies to produce with a full product loop taken into consideration, etc. At this point, that's what we need. Some of this individual stuff is pissing into the wind.

And unfortunately there seems to be little to appetite to making those types of massive infrastructure changes and investment.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But you immediately judge everyone without even first knowing what steps they do take, and force us to measure up to your righteous and somewhat expensive standards when a lot of us can't even afford a medical emergency.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Far too many people say "We should do something" but then proceed to live their life thinking individual choices don't matter, but they do, because the less we end up using, the less needs to be generated and hopefully it all trickles back upward.
Everyone on this forum could achieve a net zero carbon footprint and it wouldn't make a difference.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

So my initial statement invalidates the rest because I decide to pose a direct question to an individual saying "we should do more" ?

All those clean life choices, and yet you choose to be toxic.

Wasn't intended to be toxic.

Individual changes are a grain of salt in a desert, you need wide policy changes for it to actually matter. Also do you eat meat or own pets? Animal agriculture is a major contributor to our predicament.

I do, both, guess that makes me a monster now.

Ahhh, the "avocado toast" argument. Was waiting for that.

Not sure what this is referring to?

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone on this forum could achieve a net zero carbon footprint and it wouldn't make a difference.
That's ridiculous talk.
If about 50k people actively reduced their carbon footprint and also motivated their friends and family, hell maybe even their work places, to do the same it would make a real change.
It's this defeatist attitude that doesn't help in change.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
That's nice and all, but if your power is connected to a coal power plant or something, it will matter little in the long run. The types of changes needed are at the national and global level with investment and building of low emissions energy production, banning greenhouse pollution as much as possible, forcing companies to produce with a full product loop taken into consideration, etc. At this point, that's what we need. Some of this individual stuff is pissing into the wind.

And unfortunately there seems to be little to appetite to making those types of massive infrastructure changes and investment.

Those changes will still require sacrifice on the part of the average joe. Nobody is escaping personal pain. This is going to require a total war effort of humanity to solve this shit. The era of McMansions and SUVs has to come to an end.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Felt that line about power outages.

Here in Texas our A/C died in the dead of summer and I don't know how we made it the two days without getting a hotel tbh.

Was showering with freezing water right before bed and sleeping after midnight with a fan in my face just to get some sleep before the sun came up and made it impossible to not wake up covered in sweat.

Oct 28, 2017
We have like 30 years left. Have fun, enjoy yourselves while you can, because none of us are in it for a real long haul at this point, and nothing we do is going to stop it.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
*insert senile republican holding snowball in DC pic

Felt that line about power outages.

Here in Texas our A/C died in the dead of summer and I don't know how we made it the two days without getting a hotel tbh.

Was showering with freezing water right before bed and sleeping after midnight with a fan in my face just to get some sleep before the sun came up and made it impossible to not wake up covered in sweat.
our A/C went out in early July. In MN. Our thermostat showed it was high 80s inside at night some nights, and our basement (we have basements ;) ) was basically sweating.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
But you immediately judge everyone without even first knowing what steps they do take, and force us to measure up to your righteous and somewhat expensive standards when a lot of us can't even afford a medical emergency.

The first thing I did was literally ASK what he's done to change, how am I judging anyone?

I stated that many people choose to say and not act, that is an observation, not a judgement on any individual in this thread.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not sure what this is referring to?
Articles written that millennials have no right to complain about being poor because of how much they spend on frivolities like avocado toast. Basically saying that hardships are self-made and can be solved simply by budgeting them away. That's basically what you just did. And, like the article, it's ivory-tower horseshit.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Articles written that millennials have no right to complain about being poor because of how much they spend on frivolities like avocado toast. Basically saying that hardships are self-made and can be solved simply by budgeting them away. That's basically what you just did.

I was born in '85, technically I fall within the definition of "Millenial".

And I was referring to myself in my post RE: fast food, so did I avacado myself?

I'm fairly certain my power is a mixture of hydro-electric, wind and nuclear in origin.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the common people have elected climate change deniers like Trump and Bolsonaro, they don't get to avoid the blame. Climate Change is a good example of the Tragedy of the Commons: a problem with so many people responsible (in this case 7.5 billion) for it that everyone feels they're not part of the problem. So what happens is nothing gets done to solve the problem because no one is willing to admit blame and change their behaviour. They'd rather point fingers at other people.

Look up to see what happened with the Atlantic Cod to get a taste of what will happen with Climate Change.
I never said anything to the contrary.

Nothing in my post was trying to shift the blame from individuals. All i was doing was pointing out that only governments can make the lasting changes we need.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Articles written that millennials have no right to complain about being poor because of how much they spend on frivolities like avocado toast. Basically saying that hardships are self-made and can be solved simply by budgeting them away. That's basically what you just did. And, like the article, it's ivory-tower horseshit.
You just needed to replace Avocado toast with a Tessla Model 3 and he just might have gained some self reflection.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
All the people complaining about migrants now are in for a doozy on the next season of the Planet Earth show. It's gonna be a shitshow

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was born in '85, technically I fall within the definition of "Millenial".

And I was referring to myself in my post RE: fast food, so did I avacado myself?
In the example, it's millennials being talked down to by boomers. More broadly (and thus more to the source of the ire), it's someone from a place of advantage talking down to a less-advantaged group of people like they know better or have any understanding of their circumstance.

Better understood now?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I am really nervous about a massive climate induced migration and what it will mean for the world. I live in New England so I think I'll be okay, even though it will become way hotter than I'd like it to here. I wonder if I'll ever need to try to move to Canada.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Honestly I am really nervous about a massive climate induced migration and what it will mean for the world. I live in New England so I think I'll be okay, even though it will become way hotter than I'd like it to here. I wonder if I'll ever need to try to move to Canada.

You won't have to move but you better prepare yourself for you new Texan, Cuban, and Brazilian neighbours.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In the example, it's millennials being talked down to by boomers. More broadly (and thus more to the source of the ire), it's someone from a place of advantage talking down to a less-advantaged group of people like they know better or have any understanding of their circumstance.

Better understood now?

Very.

And It is not (and was not) my intent on telling people how to spend their money or what to prioritize in their own lives, but it does go back to my first post in this thread: A lot of people will comment and say "we should do something", and then don't. This isn't exclusive to climate change - this applies to politics / voting / gun control, you name it.

The one thing I've recognized in my life that I can do to have a (hopefully) positive change in the world is being energy conscious. I choose to dedicate what disposable income I have to try and reduce my carbon footprint, to try and at least know that I'm doing whatever the hell I can in that regard.

No one is perfect, and in a thread about the effects of climate change I've chosen to be passionate about it. It's clearly rubbed people the wrong way, but that is also part of the larger problem. There are posters in this thread that have essentially singled defeatism that the only meaningful change can come from governments and corporations -- sure they will make a bigger impact, absolutely, but individual contributions are a huge component of permanent change. Corporations come and go, government policies change and laws and regulations get undone at the swipe of a pen, but if you make the choice personally to be more eco-responsible, it lasts more than the four years of any government's stay in power.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Also keep in mind that lots of people will say this is god's will and will probably mention something about the rapture. God is angry at us for being awful sinners.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The people that have the real power to tackle this problem are wealthy enough to protect themselves from the majority of climate change's effects and thus don't give a fuck.

We're fucked.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Very.

And It is not (and was not) my intent on telling people how to spend their money or what to prioritize in their own lives, but it does go back to my first post in this thread: A lot of people will comment and say "we should do something", and then don't. This isn't exclusive to climate change - this applies to politics / voting / gun control, you name it.

The one thing I've recognized in my life that I can do to have a (hopefully) positive change in the world is being energy conscious. I choose to dedicate what disposable income I have to try and reduce my carbon footprint, to try and at least know that I'm doing whatever the hell I can in that regard.

No one is perfect, and in a thread about the effects of climate change I've chosen to be passionate about it. It's clearly rubbed people the wrong way, but that is also part of the larger problem. There are posters in this thread that have essentially singled defeatism that the only meaningful change can come from governments and corporations -- sure they will make a bigger impact, absolutely, but individual contributions are a huge component of permanent change. Corporations come and go, government policies change and laws and regulations get undone at the swipe of a pen, but if you make the choice personally to be more eco-responsible, it lasts more than the four years of any government's stay in power.
How nice of you to have enough disposable income to own a car.

Some of us have made all of the changes to their lives that they can. Aside from voting for politicians that support climate action, I'm thankful that most of my climate-care reductions were incidental.

I can't afford a place of my own, so I live with my parents, saving on heating costs for another residence and lessening my carbon footprint. I can't afford a car, no matter how its engine is powered, so I rarely leave the house because public transportation in my city is utter shit.

My father refuses to buy an air conditioner (and on most days, I'm good with that), so the house is cooled holistically (meticulous window opening and closing on a schedule set by the position of the sun) and only run the heater during the winter when the house temperature dips below 17C.

I religiously turn off our lights when not in use, even though they're all LEDs now, and use them only when necessary.

What little money I earn goes towards my outstanding debts, food and at-home entertainment options so that I don't go completely stir-crazy from rarely leaving the house.

And even I recognize that I am in a pretty good position because I don't have a job that requires the kind of mobility that a car demands, because the only one I could likely afford is a used fossil-fuel jalopy.

It's a safe assumption that anyone in this thread who's concerned about climate change is not so brain dead as to think that they should do nothing. So all your line of dialogue does is act as a guilt trip for those who aren't in a better financial state because they want to do more and aren't able to because of their circumstances. Why a guilt trip? Because of the condescension in how you presented it.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that placing the blame on any individual doesn't solve problems.