• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Extreme global temperatures are pushing the human body "close to thermal limits", according to a climate scientist.

Record-breaking heat has swept through Europe this week with temperatures topping 40C in a number of countries.

However, in places such as South Asia and the Persian Gulf, people are already enduring temperatures reaching up to 54C.

Despite all the body's thermal efficiencies, these areas could soon be uninhabitable, according to Loughborough University climate scientist Dr Tom Matthews in The Conversation.

When air temperature exceeds 35C, the body relies on sweating to keep core temperatures at a safe level. However, when the "wet bulb" temperature – which reflects the ability of moisture to evaporate – reaches 35C, this system no longer works.

"Once this wet bulb temperature threshold is crossed, the air is so full of water vapour that sweat no longer evaporates," he said.

This means the human body cannot cool itself enough to survive more than a few hours.

"Without the means to dissipate heat, our core temperature rises, irrespective of how much water we drink, how much shade we seek, or how much rest we take," he explained.

Some areas – which are among the most densely populated on Earth – could pass this threshold by the end of the century, according to Dr Matthews.

There is already evidence wet bulb temperatures are occurring in Southwest Asia.

With climate change starting to profoundly alter weather systems, rising temperatures could soon make parts of the world uninhabitable.

If electricity can be maintained, living in chronically heat-stressed conditions may be possible but a power outage could be catastrophic.

In a recent paper published in Nature Climate Change, Dr Matthews and his team looked at the probability of a "grey swan" event in the case of extreme heat coinciding with massive blackouts.

Mega blackouts sometimes follow powerful tropical cyclones. Researchers found that dangerously hot temperatures during a period with no electricity could have catastrophic consequences.

Heat-stressed countries are likely to see the largest absolute increases in humid-heat and they are often the least well-prepared to deal with the hazard. This could drive mass migration, which would make heat a worldwide issue – even for countries that are not experiencing scorching temperatures.

thisisfinedog.jpeg

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
RHSOG4Z.gif

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
If people don't care and respect others right now what makes anyone think they give a shit about what happens in 100 years?

Climate disaster is inevitable.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me that it's pointless to have children. The world economy can't bear the most populous countries on earth having a climate migration crisis

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Where is that "the world is fucked, but at least we made the shareholders happy" comic? I can't find it

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
When will the mass migrations(or military invasions) of Canada, Russia and the Nordic lands begin?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a catastrophe that will wipe the human race off the planet and yet we have people worrying about how much money its going to cost to reduce emissions and change course.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
some countries get temps in the 54c range? holy shit how the hell do they survive? do people go outside at all when its this hot?

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That doesnt sound good. We should probably do something.

Says the person on the internet forum, what steps have you personally taken to curb global warming? (not an attack, it's an actual question)

I've:

- Replaced all bulbs with LEDs
- Set all major electronics and vampire draining tech to be on killswitches when not in use (smart plugs to fully block power drain)
- Replaced the entirety of my appliances with energy efficient ones
- Utilize rain barrels to reduce water consumption
- Own an electric vehicle

I'm working towards solar as my main source of energy as well, but that's an affordability thing.

Far too many people say "We should do something" but then proceed to live their life thinking individual choices don't matter, but they do, because the less we end up using, the less needs to be generated and hopefully it all trickles back upward.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
What about the new frontier of Montana?

source.gif

Actually iirc, from what I have seen of those projected 4C warmer predictions and heatmaps, the entire US is pretty much fucked. The areas of Canada near the border will be messed, and may become a natural no-mans land, but everything above looks great.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Says the person on the internet forum, what steps have you personally taken to curb global warming? (not an attack, it's an actual question)

I've:

- Set all major electronics and vampire draining tech to be on killswitches when not in use (smart plugs to fully block power drain)

I'm working towards solar as my main source of energy as well, but that's an affordability thing.

Far too many people say "We should do something" but then proceed to live their life thinking individual choices don't matter, but they do, because the less we end up using, the less needs to be generated and hopefully it all trickles back upward.
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

And in response to your question. I don't even turn on the lights in my house. Hell I don't even EAT AT ALL. So there. You could do better!

On case you didn't get it, that was extreme sarcasm btw.

Edit: ...wait.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
it feels like very climate related news story gets more and more apocalyptic

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
It is only going to get worse before it gets better.*

* lol no guarantees here either for your children's children's children times like 5.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
The past few years in South East Asia has been unbearable, and it's hot all year round. RIP to all my brothers and sisters living near the equator.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
If Americans aren't fleeing to Canada now, I doubt they will when they're boiling to death. Hell, there are people who still willingly live in Phoenix.

m.youtube.com

Phoenix

It's true, you know.

And this joke is probably a decade old now.

Actually you raise a good point. The opposite argument to the invasion theory is that the vast majority of American citizens(or at least the Republican supports or Southern States for the most part) will likely perish due to misguided pride or further misinformation provided to them from government that everything is fine, and exceptionalism will save the day, as it has for hundreds of years.

It is actually legit frightening/sad that some folks may not even consider migrating due to stubborness or intentional efforts to lie to them about the truth.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Shit's turning to a biblical hellscape fast.

The future is terrifying, and the future is now.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Humanity is not fucking ready for this. A lot of human suffering is in the near future.

Oct 25, 2017
China

I've:

Says the person on an Internet forum that can afford to spend money to save energy while chastising other people about it.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the timetables on this, it's highly likely that we'll find a way to adapt either biologically or technologically.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually you raise a good point. The opposite argument to the invasion theory is that the vast majority of American citizens(or at least the Republican supports or Southern States for the most part) will likely perish due to misguided pride or further misinformation provided to them from government that everything is fine, and exceptionalism will save the day, as it has for hundreds of years.

It is actually legit frightening/sad that some folks may not even consider migrating due to stubborness or intentional efforts to lie to them about the truth.

Nah, these fuckers will be the first ones going "WHY DIDNT YOU WARN US ITS THE JOB OF THE GOVERNMENT TO PROTECT US WE DEMAND AID!"

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Says the person on an Internet forum that can afford to spend money to save energy while chastising other people about it.

Everything but the electric car /applicance switchover can be done on a modest budget.

LED bulbs aren't that expensive, simple smart plugs can be had for $20 -- throw one of those ahead of a $10 powerbar that you plug your tv/console/pc into and you're on your way.

Not sure what my financial situation has to do with anything, just be conscious of your consumption, do your best to reduce it, and it will fucking help.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Seeing the timetables on this, it's highly likely that we'll find a way to adapt either biologically or technologically.

What? lol Humans aren't insects or reptiles. We have not evolved to deal with 50C weather. Evolution for humans takes hundred of thousands of years. And that's after billions of people dying. Because evolution requires those unfit for their environment to die off and those who are suited to pass on their genes. We don't have the luxury to wait that long. We'll all be dead by then.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be fascinating to see climate change deniers get hospitalized for heat-related issues and insist, "It's not hot, I'm just tired, that's all."

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've:

That's genuinely impressive.
While it's true, we as individuals should being doing more. It's a drop in the ocean (no pun intended) compared to the impact that our governments should be making.