• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly surprised by this outcome. It's been hard not to expect terrible news for LGBT equality.

Imagine being one of the pieces of shit who dissented. That's an interesting way to make your mark on history: ensure that textbooks 100 years from now will make students marvel at your obscene cruelty and inhumanity. What a legacy.

Lathentar

Oct 27, 2017
There's two factions of textualists. Orginalists: have have to go by the letter of the law and the intent at the time when it was framed and actual non batshit crazy textualists: we have to go by the letter of the law and the meaning that comports.

The latter is still reductive because you could replace judges with a dictionary and thesaurus. There needs to be some scope for putting laws into a new context beyond getting hung up on comma placement. The former is just a crock: because there's no real cognent reading of the 2nd Amendment under an originalist which could have forseen the founders framing the law around tasers and machine guns.

I have some sympathy with textualism in so far as it's obviously not the job of the judicial system to create law. And ultimately you have be able to look at what the law states and attempt to apply it, but applying too strictly leads to some extremely unintended perverse outcomes which are manifestly unjust.
Applying too strictly can do that but at some point it falls on the law makers to do their job. While this can be difficult in certain political climates as you said it should not be the role of the judiciary to create law.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
More bad news for Trump lol.

Very happy for the LGBT community. The constitution is very clear on equal protection so I'm glad the correct decision was made.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
And now we cut to a live feed of homophobic and transphobic business owners:

n08A8NO.jpg

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fuck Kavanaugh, fuck Thomas, fuck Alito

Happy about the ruling, but too bad the Trump admin is trying to crumble it all elsewhere for LGBT people in healthcare, adoption, and more.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
It's a well-known power move...a show of dominance. Think of it as behavioral science that business execs learn about and then use in their daily lives.

EDIT - beaten! Also amazing my answer was so similar.
It's not well-known for me, I've never seen people yank a person's arm like that when shaking hands.

The surprise, iron-grip "I could rip your hand off if I wanted to" handshake is a well-known power move among business exec types. Yanking the entire arm and pulling the person forward is kinda' new to me, but I'm not surprised that Trump thinks it's the way to go.

I'm 6'6", so I don't have to deal with it often, but few things piss me off more. Nothing wrong with a firm or enthusiastic handshake (pre-pandemic, anyway) but turning a simple handshake into a game of iron-claw is trashy AF, IMO.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Chris Geidner @chrisgeidner

Kavanaugh does not join Alito's dissent, and instead tries to write a "nice" dissent — with reference to Stonewall and saying that "gay and lesbian Americans ... can take pride in today's result," but reaching the same conclusion that the majority is wrong.​

Notably, Kavanaugh did not address transgender coverage in his dissent, literally pushing the entire question into a footnote.​

VZINpSg.png

12:25 PM - Jun 15, 2020

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, the ruling does leave the question of whether or not religious organizations can discriminate against LGBT people if it violates their religious beliefs....

how these doctrines protecting religious liberty interact with Title VII are questions for future cases too... none of the employers before us today represent in this Court that compliance with Title VII will infringe their own religious liberties in any way.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I am genuinely shocked. Thank you, Gorsuch, for doing the right thing.

Thomas and Alito need to fucking retire. They've been anti-progressive assholes for years.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Looking like a moron is Trump's default state. But I agree that this "handshake" makes him look even more weak, petulant, and stupid.

No arguments here, I'll never understand why so many people see him as an "alpha" leader. Constantly acting like a fool and having an ego as fragile as antique glass is considered manly by them. If we want to understand where masculinity has gone wrong we should start with this bs.

shem

Oct 25, 2017

Bit of self promotion. The first image from Obergerfell, the second from todays ruling Bostock.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
With that rule going into effect last week I assumed the worst for this ruling since we are in the worst timeline...legitimately crying rn. Just lacking words to describe how huge and unexpected this was

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty poetic followup to the massive black trans lives matter protest

Conservatives being "betrayed" by their own is hilarious. Gorsuch is still a conservative ghoul on a stolen seat, but at least he can read the room on occasion

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017

Conservatives being "betrayed" by their own is hilarious. Gorsuch is still a conservative ghoul on a stolen seat, but at least he can read the room on occasion

Gorsuch honestly wasn't a bad pick, but Kavanaugh was 100% a plant and he a shitty judge.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

I think Gorsuch knows how history works, and he knows which side he wants to be on.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is absolutely fantastic.

But also a reminder of how important the Supreme Court is. Trump winning in November will destroy this for decades and it will not recover in our lifetime.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Surprisingly good news in 2020 honestly! And from the supreme court! And Neil Gorsuch? Didn't expect that honestly. I was hoping for a 5-4 with Roberts and liberals at best.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is this showing dominance? If someone did that to me I wouldn't feel dominated, I'd just think some idiot yanked my arm. I could maybe see it working if it's done subtly but Trump basically yanks this guy across he stage, it's beyond stupid.

Because one person is establishing that they appear to be stronger than the other. That's all it is.