• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

CBC
B.C.'s provincial government has closed the area around a newly discovered cave thought to be Canada's largest for the sake of its preservation and public safety — threatening a $1-million fine for those who don't stay away.

A helicopter crew came across the cavern in the northeastern corner of Wells Gray Provincial Park in March. It's the largest known cave of its type, with a depth about the length of a soccer field, and researchers have kept its exact location a secret.
B.C. Parks announced on Wednesday that the cave and its surrounding area are now closed to the public. Those who try to get close despite the shutdown face a fine of up to $1 million or a year in prison. Geologist Catherine Hickson, who's part of the team studying the cavern, said the closure came as a welcome surprise. "You're kidding. Wow," she said Wednesday morning. "It is an extremely dangerous location … the cave itself and its remoteness."

The entrance pit is about 100 metres long and 60 metres wide. Its depth is hard to measure because of mist from a waterfall pouring over the opening, but initial exams show the cavern is at least 135 metres deep.
In the winter, it'd be a 50-kilometre ski trip through unmapped terrain to reach the pit. In the summer, it would be a lengthy paddle and a gruelling hike with no support along the way. Run into trouble and you'd need a monstrous, costly rescue operation to get home.

On top of that danger, there's also the chance the cave holds cultural significance for First Nations in B.C. "Certainly, it might have been a known location in terms of a sacred place … but we just don't know," Hickson said. "That's what [B.C.] Parks is working on."
The people who first spotted the cave from the helicopter named it Sarlacc's Pit because of its similarity to the lair of the sarlacc, a creature from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

Hickson said a formal naming of the cave will happen after consultations with First Nations. She added further investigations and research of the cave and its unique geography will likely be carried out in 2020, depending on funding.

Who knows what secrets the cave may hold? Materia perhaps? Who wants to risk the $1,000,000 fine with me and explore anyway hoping to find deep lore.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to digest this news very slowly.

Like a man in a Chilliwack carport eating the fat off a chop.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are dead things inside.

They hunger.
giphy5tf1e.gif

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the fine so exhorbitant?

Do they not want us to find the Mandalorian Armor inside?

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"wwwwhhaats up guys, it's your boy CaveSpeelunker93 coming at you with another cave exploration video, don't forget to smash that like button, subscribe (hit that bell icon!), and leave a comment about what kind of headlamp you think I should feature in my next video!"

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Time to write a bunch of creepypasta about what's "really" stopping them from letting people into the cave and hope one of them goes viral so I can get a movie deal.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Man, you're just begging extreme cavers to go there now. Nothing like making something difficult and dangerous off limits to get hardcore enthusiasts to go for it.

so uhhhh what's behind that $1M fine? what's down there lmao
The $1M fine is for the costs of rescuing your ass if you get stuck.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, there are ancient viruses and bacteria waiting to be discovered under melting snow and ice, I'd probably let it be.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if there are some first nations folks down in the pit with rifles waiting for some idiot to violate the no trespassing order.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Don't know who recently discovered it and named it Sarlaac Pit, but it looks nothing like it. Hopefully they'll find a better name for it after a bit. Will be interested to learn more about the cave whenever they get around to it. I wonder why they assume it's a First Nations sacred site? Is there evidence already visible that would make them think that?

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know who recently discovered it and named it Sarlaac Pit, but it looks nothing like it. Hopefully they'll find a better name for it after a bit. Will be interested to learn more about the cave whenever they get around to it. I wonder why they assume it's a First Nations sacred site? Is there evidence already visible that would make them think that?
It's probably not the site itself but the land its on.