• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 12, 2017
Zero issue with this but hopefully it'll shut up some of the Duke fans on the internet that love to say their school is clean. Every school is dirty because that's what happens when you refuse to let kids get paid.
I have no issue with the money itself, but there are some good schools that actually do try and play by the rules. I also have no problem seeing Duke get punished.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Good for him. I could not possibly give less of a damn about people breaking NCAA's awful rules. I do feel sorry for the small school to be named later that will inevitably be punished as an overreaction while Duke gets a stern look and a "Hey, not so loud" from the NCAA.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with seeing Duke itself get hit hard by this, but after the very weak NCAA response to giant sex abuse scandals that have hit various school athletics programs, I just kind of shrug my shoulders at athletes taking money under the table.

Duke itself should face a tournament ban next time we have one, and fire personel that may have been involved. Personally, O'm against scholarshop reductions these days. Punish the school program in a way that it become an undesirable place for top recruits to go to if they want to compete for a title.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Oh no a player made money. Better punish the school and all the players that weren't there when the violations happened.

Once again the NCAA saves us all from the horrors of popular college athletes making money.

Last edited:

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Since the NCAA is now letting student athletes make some money off their likenesses and is rapidly bleeding talent to the NBA's news iteration of the G League, wouldn't sanctioning Duke in any way look terrible for them right now?

The whole case revolves around an archaic system that shouldn't have ever existed.

They are probably 100% correct about Nike and Adidas performing transactions under the table, with Duke and NCAA compliant. If they get Zion's family to talk about this stuff under oath they might even win their civil case. Even with that being true, it's still ridiculous that the NCAA puts athletes in this kind of position to take care of their families.

• Sharonda Sampson, Williamson's mother, and Lee Anderson, his stepfather, "demanded and received gifts and economic benefits from persons acting on behalf of Duke University (directly and/or indirectly) to influence [Williamson] to attend Duke University to play basketball."

• Sampson and Anderson "demanded and received gifts, money and/or other benefits from persons on behalf of Nike (directly and/or indirectly) to influence [Williamson] to attend Duke University to play basketball."

• Sampson and Anderson "demanded and received gifts, money and/or other benefits from persons acting on behalf of Adidas (directly and/or indirectly) to influence [Williamson] to wear Adidas shoes" and to "influence [Williamson] to attend a college that endorsed Adidas shoes."

• Before becoming a student at Duke, Williamson "or person(s) acting on [his] behalf (including but not limited to Sharonda Sampson and Lee Anderson) accepted benefits from a NCAA-certified agent that are not expressly permitted by the NCAA legislation" between Jan. 1, 2014, and April 14, 2019.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Since the NCAA is now letting student athletes make some money off their likenesses and is rapidly bleeding talent to the NBA's news iteration of the G League, wouldn't sanctioning Duke in any way look terrible for them right now?

The whole case revolves around an archaic system that shouldn't have ever existed.
The NCAA has never given a damn about it's image or public perception. They are too far up their own ass to care.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

The NCAA doesn't care how they look.

Oh no a player made money. Better punish the school and all the players that weren't there when the violations happened.
I mean if they paid a dude last year they probably paid people before and after, especially given the level of talent Duke usually gets.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
I have no issue with the money itself, but there are some good schools that actually do try and play by the rules. I also have no problem seeing Duke get punished.

No there isn't. There isn't one clean division one school. Does the school cheat directly? Maybe not all of them but boosters do what boosters do everywhere.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
I seriously don't give a fuck, and this is coming from a Carolina fan.

Whatever they paid him, it wasn't enough.

As a lifelong UNC fan, absolutely 100% this.

The NCAA has run its course. The image and likeness ruling from late 19/early 20 (God, it feels like it was ages ago) is the next step in the ending of that organization as we know it.

It's absurd that football and basketball players that make Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, LSU, Clemson, Bama, etc insert literally ANY FBS school, hundreds of millions of dollars don't get compensated.

Zion was and is an unreal player. Dude is worth twice what he got paid in Durham.