• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we really have people here arguing that positive stereotypes of minorities are a good thing?

Jesus H...

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
UBI as a replacement for the welfare system (opt-in) is a horrible idea

It's not yang is proposing that current welfare systems remain in place.
E. G if someone is getting $1500 a month through various welfare programs they can stay on that, but if Somone is getting $600 welfare, they can opt in for UBI and get the $1000, but not get there other $600 benifits.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so far i've loved everything yang has said in interviews. i really hope he can find a path to the presidency.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
E. G if someone is getting $1500 a month through various welfare programs they can stay on that, but if Somone is getting $600 welfare, they can opt in for UBI and get the $1000, but not get there other $600 benifits.
That's why it's a bad proposal... it's a right wing UBI plan. It's an excuse to get rid of all social safety nets including social security, UBI is inherently a band-aid solution to a larger problem.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017

Exactly - this will increase income inequality

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Voting for yang = +$1000

Voting for anyone else = +$0

The choice is obvious.
Why when we can just give that money to big business in hoping it would trickle down to the average people for the 100th time. While they make money from our data and automate our jobs away when we raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour?

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why it's a bad proposal... it's a right wing UBI plan. It's an excuse to get rid of all social safety nets including social security, UBI is inherently a band-aid solution to a larger problem.

but you can still keep all of your current support programs if they net you more than the 1k a month.

i was under the impression that this forum thought current welfare programs didn't give the downtrodden enough autonomy, this is a fantastic answer to that.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018

?
What I said is the opposite, existing benifit programs will remain. But if you want UBI any program you are in will be deducted from the $1000 Ubi

Dec 24, 2017
That's it? Him making a joke about knowing a lot of doctors because he's Asian gets that kind of vitriol from you and accusations that he's kowtowing to the alt-right?

I guess I need to understand your background in understanding the Asian-American experience, the model minority myth and it's usage against other people of color as a wedge and vehicle to promote, apply and institutionalize discriminatory policies against other groups of color.

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Exactly - this will increase income inequality
78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. While the rich is getting richer and some Trillion dollars companies are paying ZERO in Federal taxes while destroying thousands of small business/ mom & pops stores.

How does the UBI, an extra $1000 ( 12k a year ) a month to all Adult American Citizens not help with income inequality?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. While the rich is getting richer and some Trillion dollars companies are paying ZERO in Federal taxes while destroying thousands of small business/ mom & pops stores.

How does the UBI, an extra $1000 ( 12k a year ) a month to all Adult American Citizens not help with income inequality?

It wouldn't necessarily help with income inequality, since everyone gets it, but it would at least provide some basic level of existence to everyone regardless of their situation.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone educate me as to why his take on UBI and his policies are shit?
Yang's version of it doesn't go far enough and gets the money from the wrong place. He's gutting welfare to do it when he should be taxing CEOs and mega-corps. Plus the monthly number needs to be closer to $2k/month to have the effect everyone would like it to. If your goal is to redistribute the money then you've actually gotta do that.

It wouldn't necessarily help with income inequality, since everyone gets it, but it would at least provide some basic level of existence to everyone regardless of their situation.
It would if you taxed the uber-wealthy and mega-corps to pay for it.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Yang has goodish ideas
That doesn't mean he gets to be president.

inexperience in government kills it for me.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns of Stereotyping Over Multiple Posts in this Thread

I guess I need to understand your background in understanding the Asian-American experience, the model minority myth and it's usage against other people of color as a wedge and vehicle to promote, apply and institutionalize discriminatory policies against other groups of color.
yeah he cracks some positive asian steteotype jokes to win the layman over and show he's not crazy uptight politician. i think that's fine.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
?
What I said is the opposite, existing benifit programs will remain. But if you want UBI any program you are in will be deducted from the $1000 Ubi

Wait, is that Yang's proposal? So if someone is disabled and using government programs to get by they're still going to be struggling to survive because the programs gets deducted from the UBI?

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is that Yang's proposal? So if someone is disabled and using government programs to get by they're still going to be struggling to survive because the programs gets deducted from the UBI?
no, if you currently make 1500 of of government programs you get to keep the full 1500. if you make 900, you can forgo those benefits for 1000 in cash.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Yang's version of it doesn't go far enough and gets the money from the wrong place. He's gutting welfare to do it when he should be taxing CEOs and mega-corps. Plus the monthly number needs to be closer to $2k/month to have the effect everyone would like it to. If your goal is to redistribute the money then you've actually gotta do that.

It would if you taxed the uber-wealthy and mega-corps to pay for it.
You think America is ready for that? That sounds extremely aggressive, not sure most people would be ok with that.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's basically getting the money from welfare instead of redistributing it. Plus the monthly number is too low to actually be basic income, it'll maybe be enough to cover rent and that's it.

You think America is ready for that? That sounds extremely aggressive, not sure most people would be ok with that.
That's what UBI is. It's taking the money from the rich people and redistributing it so that everyone's basic needs are covered. It's supposed to be a way to deal with automation, basically taking all the productivity and money created and allowing us to just not need to worry about having a crap job just to survive.

Of course, Yang's version is too small to have any of the actual benefits the policy is meant to have.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your goal is to redistribute the money then you've actually gotta do that.

Wait, did he state that was his goal? Wealth redistribution is not a concept that gets a lot of support in this country.

Yeah, he's basically getting the money from welfare instead of redistributing it. Plus the monthly number is too low to actually be basic income, it'll maybe be enough to cover rent and that's it.

That entirely depends on where you choose to live. A guaranteed $1,000 a month across a couple, for example, would provide a lot of freedom.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
What?
No, current programs stay, Unless Somone chooses to have ubi instead of there current benefit.

A lot ppl say UBI will cost $3 trillion a year but that's not true because current welfare programs cost $1.8 trillion a year so ubi would cost $1.2 trillion more.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I know about Yang is the dumb ass dark web (Ben Sharpiro, Dave Rubin) love him

UBI also doesn't seem like it would work without a national rent control or state housing

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Who in their right mind would be crazy enough ( Even GOP ) to take away money from all American voters? Think about that again. The UBI would be given to ALL adult American Citizens. This is not something you can tell the farmer and piss him off cause some welfare queen in the city is getting 1k a month because that same farmer, wife and 18 year old son is also getting that 1k a month ( 12k a year ). You going to tell Chuck the farmer you taking his 3 grand (36k a year) away?

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not supposed to be the be all end all of income, it's supplementary. a household of 18+ people collecting 1k a month each would still be a game changer to the living situations of many of the country's poorest. you might be able to do things like work part time while going to night school with that kind of money.

Fixed.
Don't sugar coat it, he's trying to appeal to the "oppresesed" white straight male.
what makes you think that?

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah he cracks some positive asian steteotype jokes to win the layman over and show he's not crazy uptight politician. i think that's fine.
And people wonder why we think that Era doesn't care about Asians. You, a presumably not-Asian person, are saying it's okay for this person to make racist Asian jokes.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
no, if you currently make 1500 of of government programs you get to keep the full 1500. if you make 900, you can forgo those benefits for 1000 in cash.

So if you have a bunch of government benefits, you get nothing...Or at best you get a fraction of that 1K....

as opposed to say what the other candidates are proposing which is..

Free healthcare, medical debt wiped
Overhaul of college debt/potentially student loans wiped.
Raising minimum wage
among other things.

The latter is worth way more than $12k/yr

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
it's not supposed to be the be all end all of income. it's supplementary. a household of 18+ people collecting 1k a month each would still be a game changer to the living situations of many of the country's poorest. you might be able to do things like work part time while going to night school with that kind of money.
It'd help out, but the whole point of UBI is to cover people's basic needs. If all you're going to cover is rent then that's not nearly enough. Especially if turns out like Yang, and people like him, think it will and most jobs get replaced by robots and computers and tablets.

The trucking industry is like a third of the economy, automate that and we're in deep shit.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
So if you have a bunch of government benefits, you get nothing...Or at best you get a fraction of that 1K....

as opposed to say what the other candidates are proposing which is..

Free healthcare, medical debt wiped
Overhaul of college debt/potentially student loans wiped.
Raising minimum wage
among other things.

The latter is worth way more than $12k/yr
Yang is also proposing free healthcare.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And people wonder why we think that Era doesn't care about Asians. You, a presumably not-Asian person, are saying it's okay for this person to make racist Asian jokes.
people think my dick is big because i'm part black and to be honest, it doesn't ruin my day. yes, all stereotypes can be damaging, even positive ones, maybe one day we'll move away from them entirely, but in the interim, positive racial jokes are kind of funny and palatable to the vast majority of people. if any presidential candidate catered to the era-like niche of the left they would lose in a landslide and i think even most people here can appreciate that.