• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HuffPost has published this article reporting that "racism, discrimination, harassment and racial bias in the workplace" is now being called out by black people and people of color and the article reports that "a reckoning could be at hand" and that "racism is baked into corporate America, just as it is baked into the criminal justice system.":

www.huffpost.com

The Reckoning Over Workplace Racism Has Begun

Black people have been pointing out racism in the workplace for years. Will businesses finally listen?

Black people and other people of color are calling out not just police brutality, but also racism, discrimination, harassment and racial bias in the workplace. They're sharing stories publicly about bosses and colleagues who have mistreated them and others. They're pointing out that the companies that now publicly state that Black lives matter don't bother to actually follow through by treating employees of color fairly and equally.

It's hard not to see parallels to how the Me Too moment took off in 2017, when women (and some men) shared stories of sexism, discrimination, harassment and assault.

Back then, powerful people were fired. And they're starting to drop now too.

A reckoning could be at hand. Companies have long paid lip service to Black people and diversity, with little to show for it, even when their employees urge them to improve. Executive suites are blindingly white. But some observers note this time around could be different. As brands try their usual mix of social media sloganeering, their current and former employees are pushing them further and holding them to account.

"Black folks are having a moment where they say, I have my stories, too," said Evelyn Carter, director at Paradigm, a consulting company that works with businesses on their diversity and inclusion strategies. "Those who have experienced racism, whether subtle, overt, individual or structural, for a long time, are finally being listened to."

Carter said the combination of stories surfacing on social media and companies and celebrities taking swift action "feels Me Too-like."

Racism is baked into corporate America, just as it is baked into the criminal justice system. That's clear from the numbers: There are only four Black CEOs on the Fortune 500. Just 3.3% of executive-level roles are held by Black professionals in the U.S., according to federal data. Only about 1% of the entrepreneurs who get venture capital funding are Black. (VC-backed companies often go on to become billion-dollar behemoths, typically with diversity issues, like Google, Facebook and Uber.)

"Corporate America has failed black America," Darren Walker, the president of the Ford Foundation and a member of the board of Pepsi, and a Black man, told The New York Times this past weekend. "Even after a generation of Ivy League educations and extraordinary talented African-Americans going into corporate America, we seem to have hit a wall."

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): Dismissing concerns of racism
Recently, about Cards Against Humanity

This is incredibly petty. I have zero doubt that racism is ingrained in a lot of corporations - and quite possibly Cards Against Humanity - but anyone who claims a certain company is "over" as a result of something this minor is doing the opposite of what they think they're doing.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This is incredibly petty. I have zero doubt that racism is ingrained in a lot of corporations - and quite possibly Cards Against Humanity - but anyone who claims a certain company is "over" as a result of something this minor is doing the opposite of what they think they're doing.

In a professional environment, this is absolutely NOT minor.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
As a person of colour, it's about damn time.

But this is going to be a much tougher cause to fight for because MeToo had the power of white women to influence the overall public perception and racism is far more normalised than sexual discrimination, especially in the workplace. I really do hope this is a reckoning.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Running trend on era of people not understanding the effect of microagressions and passive aggressive behavior.

it's racism. it's not minor. What this woman experienced is valid.

and I'm guessing that's you in your avatar? Mhmm...

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Running trend on era of people not understanding the effect of microagressions and passive aggressive behavior.

it's racism. it's not minor.

I genuinely am asking because I want to understand better and not be ignorant. From the first part, where a suggestion is made to use threads to improve organization, when I read the responses, I don't see anything beyond a few people essentially disagreeing. It doesn't seem rude or insulting in anyway.

But, that's why I'm replying. I'm hoping you (or anyone) can point out where in that first part there were racist microaggressions. I'm not asking as some form of a "gotcha!" but out of purely seeking education so I can be better in the future.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
As a person of colour, it's about damn time.

But this is going to be a much tougher cause to fight for because MeToo had the power of white women to influence the overall public perception and racism is far more normalised than sexual discrimination, especially in the workplace. I really do hope this is a reckoning.
One, I think you severely underestimate sexual harassment in the workplace and two, honestly? Me Too helped people that were more high profile and even then it was mainly against those who had committed multiple serious crimes and I'm honestly not sure how much it actually helped women altogether. Like I'd say honestly if you want to combat racism in the different industries that Me Too might not be a good way to emulate as I'm honestly not sure it enacted long term change and was mainly focused on a few high profile cases which is why the normal stuff that happens all the time just skated by and which is probably why you think it's not normalised. I'm not sure what would be the best way to combat racism in industries but Me Too is really not that roaring a success

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is evident you have many doubts about racism being ingrained.

Oct 25, 2017
My thing with being the only black person at my job is with the exception of one newer person, I think I easily make $10,000 less than everyone else having been there 5 years and a lot of people being relatively newer. I was hired out of my college so I guess my experience means less. Previous employees, also hired out of college, used to be more open about pay discussions to compare since we were in it together, but now it's like "oh that sucks, you're totally underpaid, but you don't need to know what I make" or better yet "everyone's underpaid" and then I'm like "sure, but some more than others".

Like if my job ever did salary cuts to save money this year, I'd be pissed if I were included in them.

I'm definitely due for a decent increase due to a job title change I got that's still under company average, but I think with covid their out this year is "well you're lucky we were even able to keep you".

So ... Fuck.

And then there's the usual casual racism from the company.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely am asking because I want to understand better and not be ignorant. From the first part, where a suggestion is made to use threads to improve organization, when I read the responses, I don't see anything beyond a few people essentially disagreeing. It doesn't seem rude or insulting in anyway.

But, that's why I'm replying. I'm hoping you (or anyone) can point out where in that first part there were racist microaggressions. I'm not asking as some form of a "gotcha!" but out of purely seeking education so I can be better in the future.

ok, going to reply in good faith and not assume this is a 'just asking questions' post.

It needs to be taken in context.

She had a very reasonable request in the channel. Another employee had multiple snarky replies with the 'you can leave if you don't like it here' subtext. Then sent more passive aggressive dms painting her as the unreasonable one. Then the boss implied her first request was not 'respectfully' made and that she was 'arguing' when all she did was make a request and accept the shitty answer.

In a vacuum or between two white employees, sure it was just a clique-y and awkward work interaction.

But in the atmosphere at work that she describes (the comments about the hair, the wfh discrimination, etc) - 'you can leave if you don't like it here' and 'she wasn't being respectful and was argumentative' statements have a very very different meaning.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Max Temkin of Cards Against Humanity has a rape allegation:

Max Temkin is an abuser.

Theresa Stewart's story, which she shared on Twitter this past weekend, is just one of many stories I've heard recently from a whisper network of acquaintances, friends, and former employees about how abusive the environment at the Cards Against Humanity office is to women, particularly women of colour. Please read Theresa's thread and then come back to this post.

In addition to stories like Theresa's, and many others which former employees have been too intimidated to share publicly, there has also been a rape allegation against Max, to which he responded with deflected blame and implicit legal threats. (Here's a good analysis of the problems with that apology.)

Critically, this goes beyond just Max: this is the entire culture of the company. Racist and sexist behaviours from the top down have created a toxic environment for employees. The person steering the ship is an abuser and liar. The culture is set and maintained from the top.

In November of 2019, I confronted Max about the rape allegations and told him that I was being a hypocrite by associating with him, and not living by my feminist principles by continuing the friendship. I told him that, if he genuinely wanted to work towards repairing the harm he's caused, I would try to help — otherwise we could no longer be acquainted.

Max told me that he wanted to do whatever he could to keep our relationship intact. I urged him to take a couple of days to reflect and then to get back to me so that we could make a plan.

I never heard from him again. Instead, he unfollowed and blocked me on social media. Like everyone else who attempted to talk with him about these issues, I was met with silence and dismissal.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
We had a thread a few days ago from a member who has a Latino last name had a hard time looking for a job, he sent the same resume twice, one with his real name and one with just his name and middle name and they rejected one and called him for interview with the other.

Thinking of racist recruiters boils my blood.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
At first I saw CAH as an ice breaker for those that are uncomfortable with expressions of sexuality. In 2020 I see it as a game for white folks to get together and be as vile as humanly possible with the protection of it being "a game."

There are equally crass games on the market that aren't an easy scapegoat for acting like trash.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Because the problem is that racism doesn't manifest itself in someone forwarding a KKK meme.

Could they just personally not liked her? Maybe the popular 'we want someone who can fit into the culture' excuse that bro'ed out tech orgs use to keep out anyone who's not a bro'ed out tech org? Maybe.

But to make fun of your only black employee behind her back, punish her for wfh when other white employees did it more often then she did, etc. This is supposedly a professional environment. Obviously could be all ancedotal, maybe because they have issues with her, but low and behold; and looking at the subsequent posts in this thread where they thought they could put in the N-word on a card, lol. There's always a bigger pattern.

You're going to see a bunch of anecdotal stories like this, hell look at the Bon Appetite story. There's nothing there that's specifically RACIST that Sofha went through (and the picture that started it off was years before the editor worked there), but you add everything up (lack of pay, extra work on her end, asking her to be the token minority for shoots, etc). It paints a damning picture.

And that's the real issue in corporate America. You aren't going to find someone calling someone else the n-word through office email, nahmean? But if you pull up the numbers you're going to find things like Bon Appetite; the corporate rule hammer going down on non-white employees more so than white, being underpaid for their job title while asking to do more work besides their job title, and a higher expectation to grin and bear it lest you fall into various stereotypes

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
The movements with lasting legacies from the Trump era aren't going to be white nationalists or MRA's; they're going to be #MeToo and Black Lives Matter.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
One, I think you severely underestimate sexual harassment in the workplace and two, honestly? Me Too helped people that were more high profile and even then it was mainly against those who had committed multiple serious crimes and I'm honestly not sure how much it actually helped women altogether. Like I'd say honestly if you want to combat racism in the different industries that Me Too might not be a good way to emulate as I'm honestly not sure it enacted long term change and was mainly focused on a few high profile cases which is why the normal stuff that happens all the time just skated by and which is probably why you think it's not normalised. I'm not sure what would be the best way to combat racism in industries but Me Too is really not that roaring a success.

Where in my previous post did I underestimate or watered down the severity of sexual harassment?

Ever since the movement of MeToo gained mainstream attention, there's been an evident heightened awareness of education regarding consent and sexual harassment. MeToo helped women, it gave them a platform to speak about the sexual discrimination that they were facing with a support group. It's definitely enacted long term change with societal norms and values in the west.

Racism is an entirely different ballpark partly because more people are proud of being racist than they are of being sexist and partly because there are more activities relating to sexual discrimination and sexual harassment that can be considered criminal. I want change to occur but there's absolutely no denying that this is going to be much harder to achieve because of systematic racism in almost everything.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Where in my previous post did I under-estimate or watered down the severity of sexual harassment?

Ever since the movement of MeToo gained mainstream attention, there's been an evident heightened awareness of education regarding consent and sexual harassment. MeToo helped women, it gave them a platform to speak about the sexual discrimination that they were facing with a support group. It's definitely enacted long term change with societal norms and values in the west.

Racism is an entirely different ballpark partly because more people are proud of being racist than they are of being sexist and partly because there are more activities relating to sexual discrimination and sexual harassment that can be considered criminal. I want change to occur but there's absolutely no denying that this is going to be much harder to achieve because of systematic racism in almost everything.
I'm saying that Me Too actually wasn't that successful and wouldn't be a movement that I would look to emulate for meaningful change with regards to racism in industry because in all honesty it feels like little has changed for women in the workplace despite the high profile cases from MeToo. There's high profile with the BLM movement now but you'll want actual actions not just people knowing about . I don't think that MeToo was actually a good movement for implementing actions and changes for women so I doubt copying it's ways will help poc.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Who would have guessed that the company that provided a safe space for flagrant bigotry would actually be horrible little twonks?

CAH is a mean spirited game and it comes as no surprise that the team behind it was, at best, pretending to be an ally.

I suppose the benefit of MeToo was that it provided an avenue for outing abusers. I'm not sure if that has actual helped establish a practice going forward but it has to be better than the atmosphere of fear induced silence that exists now.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
ok, going to reply in good faith and not assume this is a 'just asking questions' post.

It needs to be taken in context.

She had a very reasonable request in the channel. Another employee had multiple snarky replies with the 'you can leave if you don't like it here' subtext. Then sent more passive aggressive dms painting her as the unreasonable one. Then the boss implied her first request was not 'respectfully' made and that she was 'arguing' when all she did was make a request and accept the shitty answer.

In a vacuum or between two white employees, sure it was just a clique-y and awkward work interaction.

But in the atmosphere at work that she describes (the comments about the hair, the wfh discrimination, etc) - 'you can leave if you don't like it here' and 'she wasn't being respectful and was argumentative' statements have a very very different meaning.

Because the problem is that racism doesn't manifest itself in someone forwarding a KKK meme.

Could they just personally not liked her? Maybe the popular 'we want someone who can fit into the culture' excuse that bro'ed out tech orgs use to keep out anyone who's not a bro'ed out tech org? Maybe.

But to make fun of your only black employee behind her back, punish her for wfh when other white employees did it more often then she did, etc. This is supposedly a professional environment. Obviously could be all ancedotal, maybe because they have issues with her, but low and behold; and looking at the subsequent posts in this thread where they thought they could put in the N-word on a card, lol. There's always a bigger pattern.

You're going to see a bunch of anecdotal stories like this, hell look at the Bon Appetite story. There's nothing there that's specifically RACIST that Sofha went through (and the picture that started it off was years before the editor worked there), but you add everything up (lack of pay, extra work on her end, asking her to be the token minority for shoots, etc). It paints a damning picture.

And that's the real issue in corporate America. You aren't going to find someone calling someone else the n-word through office email, nahmean? But if you pull up the numbers you're going to find things like Bon Appetite; the corporate rule hammer going down on non-white employees more so than white, being underpaid for their job title while asking to do more work besides their job title, and a higher expectation to grin and bear it lest you fall into various stereotypes

Thank you both, this helps enlightening things. I really, genuinely, was asking to try and better understand the situation, and to learn from it so I don't enact the same negative emotions on people. Thanks again.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is everywhere, especially in tech, my industry. It's sad, but I glad more conversations are starting.

But, yeah, I may just get into business by myself. The corporate world just has so much BS.

Don't get me into the specious hiring practice called "culture fits" either. It's fucked up and bigoted. But white folks are too blind to see their privilege. And I have first-hand experience on hiring committees seeing this reasoning.

The BA stuff was not a shocker to me at all. It was a club. And many corporations operate the same way.

Last edited:

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
White leadership is prominent through Corporate American. Even for Asian American, bamboo ceiling is a thing.

I'm glad to see this has got so much traction in the public now.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019

it's racism. it's not minor. What this woman experienced is valid.

and I'm guessing that's you in your avatar? Mhmm...
LOL you are wasting your time with these folks
The part about people commenting on her hair? Absolutely racism and absolutely unacceptable.

The whole issue with the threaded conversations? That just strikes me as standard American corporate pettiness and back-stabbery. I'm not American, for the record, but I do work with American companies and their Slack environments are incredibly cliquey, opaque, and borderline hostile in some cases. I'm not condoning that, by the way; if I had any sway in those companies, that culture would never have been allowed to grow.

However, I will definitely accept that, being white as you point out, I have no frame of reference for how the insidious can stray into the more overt. People have insulted me on Slack, but never as part of a pattern of aggressive, dismissive, invalidating treatment. And some of the other explanations in this thread have done a good job of demonstrating how those two things can go hand-in-hand in a way that isn't obvious to someone who hasn't seen it happen first-hand, and who definitely hasn't experienced it themselves.

So I recognise that I responded to something in isolation without properly taking account of the context. And I'm sorry for that.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of doing a thread talking about all the people that got fired the last couple of weeks. But it was going to be too big of a job

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Good. It's fucking everywhere white people are. You may not see it, you may not feel it, you may think you haven't contributed to it - all that means is you are white. I wouldn't know what racism is as I have never ever experienced it. I've been protected by being white and any shenanigans I have gotten up to in my life that lead to intersect with authority would have been 1000 times worse were I not white. It's so ingrained that white people just refuse to see it. They think seeing it and being against it is somehow a personal self-own or something. Or you are desecrating their ancestors - who were all massive racists. Shit is wild.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Google kill their diversity and equity initiatives so they won't offend republicans

www.nbcnews.com

Current and ex-employees allege Google drastically rolled back diversity and inclusion programs

One well-liked diversity training program at Google called Sojourn was cut entirely, according to seven former and current employees.
Not surprising. All those SF tech companies have a "we don't see color" attitude.

www.businessinsider.com

Google employees are circulating a memo written by a former Googler who says they encountered racism and 'never stopped feeling the burden of being black' while working there

The former employee also laid out three steps they think Google should take to improve its diversity and inclusion efforts.

www.usatoday.com

#SiliconValleySoWhite: Black Facebook and Google employees speak out on big tech racism

A hostile workplace in mostly white and male companies from Facebook to Google makes black employees feel like they don’t belong, Leslie Miley says.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly wild to see. You get so used to getting shit on that you learn to take it. Very encouraging to see.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
My thing with being the only black person at my job is with the exception of one newer person, I think I easily make $10,000 less than everyone else having been there 5 years and a lot of people being relatively newer. I was hired out of my college so I guess my experience means less. Previous employees, also hired out of college, used to be more open about pay discussions to compare since we were in it together, but now it's like "oh that sucks, you're totally underpaid, but you don't need to know what I make" or better yet "everyone's underpaid" and then I'm like "sure, but some more than others".

Like if my job ever did salary cuts to save money this year, I'd be pissed if I were included in them.

I'm definitely due for a decent increase due to a job title change I got that's still under company average, but I think with covid their out this year is "well you're lucky we were even able to keep you".

So ... Fuck.

And then there's the usual casual racism from the company.
Aside from the racial element, change jobs to get a decent raise. Retention is never an attention point for companies despite retention being cheaper than replacement. Let's put it bluntly: if you aren't leaving at your current pay, why would they pay you more to keep you?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Good. It's fucking everywhere white people are. You may not see it, you may not feel it, you may think you haven't contributed to it - all that means is you are white. I wouldn't know what racism is as I have never ever experienced it. I've been protected by being white and any shenanigans I have gotten up to in my life that lead to intersect with authority would have been 1000 times worse were I not white. It's so ingrained that white people just refuse to see it. They think seeing it and being against it is somehow a personal self-own or something. Or you are desecrating their ancestors - who were all massive racists. Shit is wild.
This is actually a really helpful post.

I have never properly considered before that my right to disagree with someone at work, or assert my independence was - to at least some degree - contingent on the colour of my skin. I'm so used to being able to speak my mind, within the bounds of corporate etiquette, that I totally overlooked the fact that some people are letting me do it because they see me as an equal - which is a status they don't confer on people of colour.

This also definitely factors into my first post in this thread. I was hung up on wondering why someone would take such exception to being dismissed for a suggestion, without realising that the reason I got hung up there was that I'm used to being allowed to make suggestions that ARE taken on board, so why worry about one that isn't... when being dismissed must be a constant for people of colour in some organisations.

So yeah, I guess I've demonstrated some privilege here that I was completely unaware of. I'll leave the evidence in place.

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the racial element, change jobs to get a decent raise. Retention is never an attention point for companies despite retention being cheaper than replacement. Let's put it bluntly: if you aren't leaving at your current pay, why would they pay you more to keep you?
Currently learning to code, for now it's easier to just split the time on that with this job. Also just not the best time to leave. But yeah, that's the plan.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I really hope this takes off and becomes a sustained movement like #MeToo.

I work in technology and it's a fucking minefield of "We are sensitive to your plight, but we cannot tolerate your tone." I try to make myself a resource for BIPOC coworkers so that they have someone to go to HR with them and back up their side of the story.

Last year, a black QA engineer (one of two black woman on the entire technical team) was being harassed by a product manager late into the evening and being scolded when she'd sign off around 10 or 11 - keep in mind that she has two young children. She eventually broke down and snapped at the product manager for not respecting work-life balance and for being a cruel person in general. This product manager then went to leadership and asked to have this QA engineer fired for being "a lazy, angry fraud with no real experience."

HR and our department head pushed back on that hard and the product manager was re-assigned. But that's really it - abuse, harassment, and dog-whistle tactics just gets you some other client in a different part of the office. Thankfully, the person who made the call to keep the product manager was later pushed out of the company for some other bullshit.

But believe me, as we've been doing all of these D&I workshops/seminars, what I've been pushing is that racism doesn't just manifest as heinous comments or denied opportunities. It's in the way people are treated in general. Talking with my BIPOC coworkers, the attitude is just different for them. A constant tension that continually pushes that they don't belong there. I fucking hate it.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The company I work for has handled Covid wonderfully. They were ahead of the curve in terms of response, adapting to WFH, providing resources to employees, etc. But their response to the protests? Yeeeeaaaahhhh. There was a mention of righteous protestors, but then immediate mention of violence and looting and literally no mention of police or even black people. It was like "we support civil rights" but intentionally vague so as not to offend the more conservative employees here. They're actually incredibly diverse all things considered.....just not with any black people.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
This is actually a really helpful post.

I have never properly considered before that my right to disagree with someone at work, or assert my independence was - to at least some degree - contingent on the colour of my skin. I'm so used to being able to speak my mind, within the bounds of corporate etiquette, that I totally overlooked the fact that some people are letting me do it because they see me as an equal - which is a status they don't confer on people of colour.

This also definitely factors into my first post in this thread. I was hung up on wondering why someone would take such exception to being dismissed for a suggestion, without realising that the reason I got hung up there was that I'm used to being allowed to make suggestions that ARE taken on board, so why worry about one that isn't... when being dismissed must be a constant for people of colour in some organisations.

So yeah, I guess I've demonstrated some privilege here that I was completely unaware of. I'll leave the evidence in place.
Glad my post resonated with you and made you do some self-reflecting. We white people have no concept of what it is like not being white as we are in the club automatically in all facets of life. No questions asked, no test, just in. So we assume it's the same for everyone and just don't see that it isn't even when they scream it in our faces.

Oct 25, 2017
The company all hands at my (tech) company was a mess through and through. All of these white HR folks coming on making promises that have NEVER been kept in the past equally. At the end, I had to point out that literally any of this was happening because a black man was murdered.

I'm happy all of this is happening but the fact it takes all of this for white people to listen to us makes me enraged.