• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twitter being complete shit as usual allowed tweets with "#ChinkVirus" to show up and this Huffington Post Asian American columnist reports in this column that he needed to explain to his four children why "#ChinkVirus" was showing up on Twitter, he stated in the byline of this column: "I never thought I'd hear the slur ever again, but unfortunately, I was wrong."

m.huffpost.com

I Shouldn't Have To Explain Why 'Chink Virus' Is So Hurtful, But I Will Anyway

"I never thought I’d hear the slur ever again, but unfortunately, I was wrong."

Last week, I had to explain to my four children why #ChinkVirus was showing up on Twitter.

The last time someone called me a chink to my face was 45 years ago. I was a 7-year-old chubby little kid with thick glasses and a bowl haircut (cut by my Dad) walking in my Queens, New York, neighborhood when two teenage girls whom I'd never met before mockingly sang "Ching chong, chink chong" as they passed me on the sidewalk. I was in second grade and there were two of them — what was I supposed to do? So I did nothing and kept walking home.

Now, "chink" has made a comeback because of the ignorant association of COVID-19 with Chinese people. "Chink" has been used as a slur against Asians going back to the 1900s, possibly derived from the word "China" or used to describe narrow eyes or perhaps variations of Asian names. Regardless of the origin, it's used as an insulting and contemptuous term for a person of Chinese birth or descent. I never thought I'd hear the slur ever again, but unfortunately, I was wrong.

In the early stages of COVID-19, CNN reported that several news outlets — including CNN itself — initially referred to the new coronavirus as the "Wuhan Virus" but stopped referring to it as such after receiving guidance from medical experts. Learn, adapt, evolve. At least it's a start.

But #ChinkVirus is different. It's intended to hurt, shame, damn and accuse. Seven-year-old me had learned that sticks and stones do break bones and that names, in fact, can often hurt us.

Racism exists, I get it. We're not going to eradicate it completely with ad campaigns, platitudes or even empathetic op-eds. These efforts are grains of sand. But as anyone who has tried to get dressed after going to the beach knows, single grains of sand can linger where you least expect them and can actually make an impact.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you can openly post about "chinks" on twitter? Do they allow people to say the n-word and such as well?

EDIT: just looked, and holy shit they do, I saw an n-word killer just now. holy shit

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
you can openly post about "chinks" on twitter? Do they allow people to say the n-word and such as well?

EDIT: just looked, and holy shit they do, I saw an n-word killer just now. holy shit
oh yeah. big time. Twitter is afraid of causing a uproar about "free speech" if they started censoring that kind of content.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019

I'm not sure whether it's technically allowed accordingly to their rules or not but from my time on the platform it seems when it comes to enforcing their rules people are more likely to get banned for being too mean to literal Nazis than to get banned for the using slurs.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Something like 'Chinkvirus' is only used to hurt. There is no sensible ground to call it that. It is not comparable to something like Wuhan virus or Mexican Flu - which was the name used in a lot of countries - for instance, which were named for their initial outbreaks.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
When I should guess, I would say racist speech no matter where is what makes twitter a huge amount of money. Without right wingers around the world they wouldn't be nearly as profitable so not a big shock here

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
If America really was founded with the mandate to always learn from its gross inhumane "mistakes", we wouldn't be in this situation where the fucking president, his administration and an entire political party actively reinforces these prejudices and bigoted hate crimes. At least for myself, I'm sick and tired of this shit and ready to publicly and outspokenly push back against this shit if I ever see bigots like those in this story in real life. I hope other progressive allies do the same because no one should be a bystander in these times. Giving ground to this shit will make it worse and grant more allowances for politicians to continue exploiting and oppressing people of color.

Honestly, if you cut out all of the nationalistic masturbatory parts of American History about winning the Alamo, fighting in WW2, etc. and exclusively talked about the many different ways the US has participated in and perpetuated genocide, oppression, rape, enslavement, disenfranchisement of marginalized people including Asian Americans, you could fill the ciriculum from 1st grade to graduate level courses.

I'm certain Jack has an annoying and shitty "freedom of speech" excuse for this allowance.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Must be nice to actually believe a slur against you has been retired, smh.

Edit: I can only think of honkey. It doesn't work. Just saying "white people" is more biting.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of fucked up that HuffPo can still just print "chink" right in the title like that. That being allowed implicitly shows that the seriousness of using that word is lower than for some others. Like, imagine if it was the n-word but spelled out, right up to, in bold.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Must be nice to actually believe a slur against you has been retired, smh.

I don't think it ever was retired, but like the author, I too haven't heard it openly used in front of me for a long time. I won't say it ever went away, but I do felt the usage went down considerably. Now granted I'm in the Bay Area and while we are by no means free of racism, I'm sure the location also help limit exposure. So I can get the sentiment with not having heard it in awhile, but I don't think that means it ever went away.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it ever was retired, but like the author, I too haven't heard it openly used in front of me for a long time. I won't say it ever went away, but I do felt the usage went down considerably. Now granted I'm in the Bay Area and while we are by no means free of racism, I'm sure the location also help limit exposure. So I can get the sentiment with not having heard it in awhile, but I don't think that means it ever went away.

I have heard the slur used against me not that long ago, from a south Asian guy around Christmas before last. Road rage incident.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it never went away. The suggestion that they were surprised is a level of naivete that borders on offensive.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017

Yessir. Jack Dorsey don't want the smoke. So he lets twitter be what is and it's a shame. If they just allowed moderation this wouldn't be the case. Buuuuuut then you would have way less users. Imagine if you have to use your real name.

Also it's easy to curtail racial slurs....

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I work in the county nursing home where basically everyone only has basic cable over the air and I've seen both pro and anti Trump political ads talking almost exclusively about China. It's not going to get any better for any Asians anytime soon unfortunately, it's completely fucked

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that everyone's home being miserable and showing their true colors, it's the best time to stay off social media. These people have no life and are only interested in spreading negativity. Every time I think about using Twitter I'm reminded that I want nothing to do with anyone that posts on Twitter. Internet addicts just don't seem healthy to me.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Something like 'Chinkvirus' is only used to hurt. There is no sensible ground to call it that. It is not comparable to something like Wuhan virus or Mexican Flu - which was the name used in a lot of countries - for instance, which were named for their initial outbreaks.

I mean this in the most compassionate way possible, but...

no fucking shit