• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
200px-Portrait_hubert_02_fe16.png

Sure if you only play through the other house's routes you could come under the impression that he's just a slippery asshole who goes to whatever lengths possible to enact his liege's will(a role he's still great at), but when you really get to know Hubert by going through the Black Eagles route, particularly the Crimson Flower path, you can see how complex a person he really is.

Hubert at first seems like he follows Edelgard out of duty for his station then when you find out about the guilt he felt when he wasn't able to prevent her kidnapping to the Kingdom of Farhegus you might be inclined to think that that is the reason that he's so loyal to her. The truth is though that Hubert earnestly believes in Edelgard's vision for the future and wishes to be a part of making that a reality.
There's even a twist on the idea of the 'dark mage advisor' going behind their liege's back to do things that the liege wouldn't approve of. In most cases, this character does it for the reason that their liege is too soft or lacks the will to do what 'needs to be done', and Hubert does go behind Edelgard's back to do things that she wouldn't approve of. The subversion is that the reason Hubert goes behind Edelgard's back to do unsavory things that she wouldn't approve of is that he does not wish to add even further to the burden of guilt that Edelgard experiences for the things that she feels that she must do to make a better future for Fodlan.

Even his development with the other characters is fairly unique. You might expect that him developing stronger relationships with the other characters would result in him becoming less devoted to Edelgard, but his social development is actually him becoming nearly as devoted to his comrades as he is to Edelgard herself.

I could go further, but I don't want to turn this into a whole essay lol, anyway stan Hubert von Vestra, the best 'dark mage advisor'!

Also as an addition what other characters of Hubert's trope do you really enjoy?

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Hubie is one of the best characters in the game for sure. Amazing VA too, that one crit line where he just laughs maniacally is wonderful.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Except that in the other routes you turn him into a jobber since he retreats a gazillion times.

Soren is the best.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
It's an archetype the series has had many times over the years, and it's typically pretty badly executed.

So it's pretty amazing just how good a character Hubert is.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn he was an obnoxious little shit in every other route.
Didn't matter how much Byleth whipped him to death with a magical sword he would peace out for the next stomping.
His plot armor was probably higher than even the 3 lords.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Most of the characters, at least the ones I interacted with in my Edelgard playthrough, were pretty good. Really are what kept me playing after I became insanely overpowered lol

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn he was an obnoxious little shit in every other route.
Didn't matter how much Byleth whipped him to death with a magical sword he would peace out for the next stomping.
His plot armor was probably higher than even the 3 lords.
Hubert knows the value of running away to fight another day. Is Hubert the character you can fight the most times in one playthrough?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hubert was fantastic, yes. Menacing, profoundly loyal, extremely funny when he wants to be.

I refuse to acknowledge the jobber characterization, as that would mean recognizing the existence of routes other than Crimson Flower.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Hubert knows the value of running away to fight another day. Is Hubert the character you can fight the most times in one playthrough?

Or being part cockroach I guess 😐
Pretty sure if you recruit certain characters that adds to the higher chance of fighting Hubert multiple times. The man essentially does more than Edelgard.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Hubie, no one stands a chance against Byleth.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Hubert is a fantastic character. Three Houses as a whole is a great deconstruction of the many character archetypes that frequently appear in the series, so it's no surprise the Dark Advisor role gets the same treatment. He is so much more fleshed out than characters in previous games like Iago and Aversa, who are just evil for the sake of being evil.

Even his development with the other characters is fairly unique. You might expect that him developing stronger relationships with the other characters would result in him becoming less devoted to Edelgard, but his social development is actually him becoming nearly as devoted to his comrades as he is to Edelgard herself.

True, and his devotion isn't framed as something that he needs to grow out of, either. In his support with Dorothea, he makes it clear that it isn't born out misplaced unrequited love, but rather a true calling that he honestly believes in.

Where his relationship with Edelgard gets tricky however, is how he expresses himself to her. He'll be the first to tell you he isn't any good at sentimentality. So while he lacks at providing emotional support, he overcompensates by taking on the messy work to shield Edelgard from needing to do so herself. But the nature of that work requires him to be distant and secretive. Their support chain consists of Edelgard imploring him repeatedly to open up to her as a person and not just being her loyal murder butler. His character growth is learning to be open and honest with his feelings, rather than learning that his feelings of devotion were wrong to begin with. It also parallels well with his relationship with Ferdinand, who also presses Hubert to be less secretive and more honest in his work and how he conducts himself to Edelgard.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The C support with Bernadetta might be my favorite support convo in the game.

Hubert fuckin' rules.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
The C support with Bernadetta might be my favorite support convo in the game.

Hubert fuckin' rules.

My favorite part about Hubert and Bernie's support chain is how much he takes Bernie's feelings into consideration. I mean he makes no secret of the fact that he thoroughly enjoys scaring the pants off of people, particularly assholes, yet he makes a real effort to make himself less scary to Bernadetta.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Hubert is a cool dude, with his main problem being the same one Edelgard has of not trusting anyone with their plan to even explain it at all. They might have even been able to convince Seiros that their way was the right one if they just talked it out.

It's why the Dimitri route is so annoyingly bad. He does his little redemption bit and right before the end they have a frank talk with Edelgard, only for neither of them to really be frank about what drives them. Then on any route where you kill Hubert he leaves you with all the details he has been hiding.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Hubert is a cool dude, with his main problem being the same one Edelgard has of not trusting anyone with their plan to even explain it at all. They might have even been able to convince Seiros that their way was the right one if they just talked it out.

It's why the Dimitri route is so annoyingly bad. He does his little redemption bit and right before the end they have a frank talk with Edelgard, only for neither of them to really be frank about what drives them. Then on any route where you kill Hubert he leaves you with all the details he has been hiding.
The scene between Dimitri and Edelgard on Azure Moon is basically two people talking past each other lol

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The scene between Dimitri and Edelgard on Azure Moon is basically two people talking past each other lol
IT'S SO BAD. They came there to be honest with each other. And they touch on a couple of points. But if Edelgard had, you know, brought up the cabal of deep state pedovores that actually ruined Dimitri's life they could have teamed up and done something about it, hell even included a revitalized church with Byleth at the head. But nooo, fuck talking about any of that.

This is especially relevant in a Hubbie thread because the only way you learn about those who slither in the dark on the two routes you deal with them is because of his deathbed letter!

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
IT'S SO BAD. They came there to be honest with each other. And they touch on a couple of points. But if Edelgard had, you know, brought up the cabal of deep state pedovores that actually ruined Dimitri's life they could have teamed up and done something about it, hell even included a revitalized church with Byleth at the head. But nooo, fuck talking about any of that.

This is especially relevant in a Hubbie thread because the only way you learn about those who slither in the dark on the two routes you deal with them is because of his deathbed letter!
Like literally Edelgard had nothing to lose by telling him exactly why she was doing what she was doing, and Dimitri was completely misinterpreting what she was willing to say.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Hubert is great, I love how he acts like such a villain even when it comes to mundane things, and how there's a lot of subtlety with his placements in the early game hinting at how he knows exactly what's going on most of the time. Like how during the chapter where Flayn is missing, he stands right next to where she was taken lol.

Hubert: 1, 7, 12, 17, Bernie/Petra Paralogue, Dimitri Paralogue, 21 (Azure Moon)
Death Knight: 4, 6, 8, 12, Caspar/Mercedes Paralogue, 18, 19 (Verdant Wind)

Hubert and Death Knight tied for most reappearing character in a single playthrough at 7 times each.

Yea that scene had the potential to be cool, but instead they both talk in meaningless platitudes and never actually get to the core of their beliefs. It sucks.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's awesome.

BUT I'd feel remissed if I didn't mention he feels extremely reminiscent and like a light homage to Paul Von Oberstein from Legend of Galactic Heroes.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminds me that I should play the other routes, including Crimson Flower (I sided with the Church)

Three Houses was such a surprise, I loved this game so damn much. It's a shame you need to spend so many hours to explore all those storylines

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Hubert is one of my favorite characters in the whole game. And he also has my favorite timeskip design- which may be my favorite FE design overall. I did not like CF much at all, but my boy Hubie was a big bright spot.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Dude came across to me like a zealous simp. All of the evil, ruthless shit he does revolves around his infatuation with Edelgard. That's not bad in itself, but in my playthrough they ended up together, which felt super dumb.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He's the best. Also what a glow-up in part 2, somehow they made him hot.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Does my heart good to see people recognize the greatness of Hubert

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, Hubert's great. He has so much personality and is pretty unique for a second-in-command. As much as I like Dedue, Hubert was an upgrade from him when I went from the BL to BE route. And I really wouldn't be able to say who is better between him and Hilda.

Also got a huge glow-up during the timeskip and was my badass Dark Knight.

Hubert's VA killed it too. Every one of his supports was a joy to watch (besides his A support with Dorothea)

Dude came across to me like a zealous simp. All of the evil, ruthless shit he does revolves around his infatuation with Edelgard. That's not bad in itself, but in my playthrough they ended up together, which felt super dumb.

You fool, this is why you're supposed to marry Edelgard yourself so Hubert can marry Ferdinand.

Wait, there are other routes other than Crimson Flower in Three Houses?

Non-canon routes. They're just what ifs. Nothing to concern yourself over.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part about Hubert and Bernie's support chain is how much he takes Bernie's feelings into consideration. I mean he makes no secret of the fact that he thoroughly enjoys scaring the pants off of people, particularly assholes, yet he makes a real effort to make himself less scary to Bernadetta.

There's also a cute tie-in with this for later in the main story in CF you learn from Bernie that Hubert stripped Bernie's father of his title. I was so happy when they ended up together at the end of my playthrough.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
Nice to see all the Hubert love in this thread. He's definitely a character who it can be easy to write off based on first impressions, but once you really dig into his supports he's a lot of fun. His supports with Ferdinand and Bernadetta in particular are some of my favourites in the game.

Side note but I died laughing the second time I played the game when I found out that if you're not playing the Black Eagles route the only thing he has to say to Byleth after Jeralt's death is "I never been one for condolences.'