• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vinnykappa

Oct 27, 2017
bXnsCAc.jpg

Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin applaud as Huawei Chairman Guo Ping and MTS boss Alexei Kornya agree to develop 5G in Russia.
China's Huawei, considered a security threat in the US, signed a deal on Wednesday with telecoms company MTS to develop a 5G network in Russia over the next year.
The agreement was signed on the sidelines of a meeting between Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow.

China's Huawei, considered a security threat in the US, signed a deal on Wednesday with telecoms company MTS to develop a 5G network in Russia over the next year.
The agreement was signed on the sidelines of a meeting between Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow.

The deal will see "the development of 5G technologies and the pilot launch of fifth-generation networks in 2019-2020", MTS said in a statement.
Quoted in the statement, Guo Ping, deputy chairman of the board and rotating chairman of Huawei, said he was "very happy" with the agreement "in an area of strategic importance like 5G".

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
By the time the project is finished, Russia will get about 3.6G. Not great, not terrible.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Are you guys going post a new thread whenever Huawei sign a new 5G deal in a new country?

The US is not going to stop Huawei from doing business outside of NA and the 5 eyes countries. Both Germany and France have already said they won't ban Huawei.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Huawei lives, and Hollywood is getting retaliation for the trade war https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/us-indie-films-threatened-by-trumps-china-trade-war-1215665

Whatever happens next, at least it doesn't look like it'll be an ending that continues to enable the worst of America's behavior where we just bully everyone else out of business or into submission

Yes, a win for the good guys here: the Chinese and Russian governments. Time to teach the US a lesson about civility.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are you guys going post a new thread whenever Huawei sign a new 5G deal in a new country?

The US is not going to stop Huawei from doing business outside of NA and the 5 eyes countries. Both Germany and France have already said they won't ban Huawei.

Russia is a big deal when you take Trump into context my man.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Repeated and unrelenting history of inflammatory commentary and trolling; numerous accumulated infractions

Of course, they have to defend their masters at every opportunity.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what people expected. It's not like Huawei/China are going take up subsistence farming because the US is angry at them.

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
Not surprised to see Huawei sign more 5G deals.

People forget that Huawei was a main supplier/builder of the 4G network in multiple European countries. In my country they have been in charge of building out and maintaining 4G networks since 2009, and after 2012 managed and built 4G for both of the largest telecom companies. We were even in China's dog house between 2010-2017, where they cut all diplomatic ties. Yet, there's been no warnings from the intelligence services even though we have top-of-the line espionage and counter espionage hardware courtesy of the USA.

So I think for some countries, the experience with them as hardware suppliers will be more important for deciding who builds out a country's 5G network than dissatisfaction from the USA (which was also documented and reported on in 2009 and 2012 here).

Edit: autocorrect

Last edited:

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Hioping this hurts the US chances on securing 5G, (I had no part on this trade war before the Huawei ban).

Oct 25, 2017
This is something I worry about. One of the ways that corruption can persist and entrench itself is to export powerful tools to other corrupt entities for profit (not even saying Huawei is corrupt but it's clear that Russia will ask no questions in either case). Just giving them that little initial bit of power can allow them to keep control. Russia also wants to segment the internet and go full PRC (https://www.wired.com/story/russia-and-iran-plan-to-fundamentally-isolate-the-internet/) because they realized mass digital oppression can work, and China will absolutely supply those tools to them. Or Saudi Arabia: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019...-technology-china-report-190606054204929.html. Over time we're basically going to get a new axis of evil based on allies in fascism. Strangely right-wing populism in this model is the biggest unknown because these people are nationalist and racist enough to shake up the toxic status quo and yet stupid enough to buy all the propaganda and political manipulation. Bad times ahead.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I read about this, I'm picturing them all meeting to make the deal inside a villains lair plucked right out of a bad 80's Saturday morning cartoon.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Take a drink everytime someone claims another user is a shill. Goodluck thread.

On the topic, it would be interesting to see the intelligence effects this will have between the two countries. Who this really benefits more.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I'd love the logic behind that sometime.
How would it better exactly? You are talking about a Totalitarian Government here, remember?
He has got to be trolling. What a take lol....

The US has already damaged south american countries using the intelligence they have gathered in the past. They dont get the benefit of the doubt, I'm pretty sure both China and the US spies on everyone, but I think its it would be easier for the US to use their influence here than China.

Now, I'd love to hear why I should trust the US over China with their history.

Last edited:

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Its also rather odd to me that Jingping and Putin placed themselves in a supposedly corporate infrastructure deal between two companies. This shouldnt be a state depeartment matter ordinarily.