• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that handsets are critical telecommunication infrastructure, but again if you do (and it seems like you are), are you arguing that we should not be buying any consumer electronic from China?
Also, you not buying Huawei phone does not hamper China's ability to spy on its own citizens, so again, what's the plan here? like, how do you see this playing out?

1. banning huawei
2. ????
3. the overthrow of the Chinese government?

The US have tried not doing any business with china for 3 decades, and I don't think there's a ton of evidence that was a policy that yielded great results for anyone, Chinese or American.
Huawei does more than handsets. Ugh.

It's so strange how you're so focused on this changing China's government. You clearly did not understand why I listed all of China's horrific actions towards its citizens.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Is India even a problem? Why would they be a problem? They don't seem to be a country willing to fuck over every other country out there. You're making up this future India problem. Seems strange to point to India of all countries just because of their potential to become a super power (they won't). And even if they do, I doubt the world has a problem with India because India isn't fucking over their own people and every other country they come in contact with.

Guaranteed the United States will make an emerging India a problem. Don't think the current trade war and Huawei ban is anywhere near because the United States suddenly cares about the abhorrent Chinese practices towards minorities, privacy, corporate theft, and the like. They only care about staying on top, and to think otherwise is delusional.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not a fan of Trump at all but he is doing good work here. This company has stolen so much tech and China itself is flexing it's muscle where it doesn't belong (south china sea). Someone needs to put them in their place

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Guaranteed the United States will make an emerging India a problem. Don't think the current trade war and Huawei ban is anywhere near because the United States suddenly cares about the abhorrent Chinese practices towards minorities, privacy, corporate theft, and the like. They only care about staying on top, and to think otherwise is delusional.
You don't think US and other countries don't worry about a China that has access and built a lot of 5g networks? Hmm...

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Asian threat" sounds off since it's just China. No one is hating Taiwan, Thailand, Japan, Indonesia, etc. If they have oppressive regimes running their country and are trying to bully their way into the world's telecommunications network then there'd be an issue too. Most people defending Huawei don't realize it's the Chinese government who is being hindered not Huawei. I doubt Huawei would even be in this mess if the PRC weren't power hungry fascists. The world is better off knocking China down a peg or two or five.

because 99% of the people on this forum are simply to young to remember how the US did the exact same things to Japan and Korea, but that was the 1980s. Erie how similar the arguments are tbh. Back than, there was no evil government pulling the strings, Japanese companies just were constructed as part of one giant government-run business, usually referred to as Japan Inc.
The US isn't attacking Taiwan, Thailand or others in the same way yet, because they are no threat to their leadership.

I'm sorry to say but you are falling for the same morals-trap like many others here. This isn't a fight between the righteous US defending against the evil empire of China, this is a hegemon defending its economic position. And you (and others) are completely buying into the most blatant propaganda I've seen in a long time.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huawei does more than handsets. Ugh.

It's so strange how you're so focused on this changing China's government. You clearly did not understand why I listed all of China's horrific actions towards its citizens.
I'm fairly certain that there are way more serious restriction on actual critical telecommunication infrastructure than "anything that isn't banned in the US", ugh.
You keep shifting your argument, is it about security or is it because China is bad?
And if it's the latter, how is that supposed to make China not bad?
Because the US and China severing their business ties is gonna have pretty serious impact on many people's lives, and I would hope that if we go down that route we're doing it for something slightly more concrete than making a point.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by post of inflammatory generalizations
Americans are so self entitled nationalist buffs that even the left leaning Americans are right wingers compared to the rest of the world.
Fuck the Chinese ruling party, but pls Americans stop pretending you are not nationalist pricks.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I'm fairly certain that there are way more serious restriction on actual critical telecommunication infrastructure than "anything that isn't banned in the US", ugh.
You keep shifting your argument, is it about security or is it because China is bad?
And if it's the latter, how is that supposed to make China not bad?
Because the US and China severing their business ties is gonna have pretty serious impact on many people's lives, and I would hope that if we go down that route we're doing it for something slightly more concrete than making a point.
I haven't shifted my argument. You cannot make that claim. If you want to make that claim then quote and show the differences between my argument.

But, I can see you don't really care about how China treats its citizens and how they would use force against other countries if they could.

But I'll yield: hail China. I'm sorry, China, you guys don't deserve to be hit. I was wrong, keep up the good fight.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't shifted my argument. You cannot make that claim. If you want to make that claim then quote and show the differences between my argument.

But, I can see you don't really care about how China treats its citizens and how they would use force against other countries if they could.

But I'll yield: hail China. I'm sorry, China, you guys don't deserve to be hit. I was wrong, keep up the good fight.
Maybe instead of making sarcastic posts you could try to better explain yourself, because again, I am still unclear how banning huawei is supposed to help the Chinese people who are being treated terribly by their government.
And I'm really not sure what the US critical infrastructure has to do with any of this.

These seem to be two separate argument, and I struggle to understand your exact position on either.
Outside of course that you really really don't like the Chinese government, which is fair and all, but I'm kinda uncertain what do you suggest we do about that.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Americans are so self entitled nationalist buffs that even the left leaning Americans are right wingers compared to the rest of the world.
Fuck the Chinese ruling party, but pls Americans stop pretending you are not nationalist pricks.
WTF is this post? lol

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
because 99% of the people on this forum are simply to young to remember how the US did the exact same things to Japan and Korea, but that was the 1980s. Erie how similar the arguments are tbh. Back than, there was no evil government pulling the strings, Japanese companies just were constructed as part of one giant government-run business, usually referred to as Japan Inc.
The US isn't attacking Taiwan, Thailand or others in the same way yet, because they are no threat to their leadership.

I'm sorry to say but you are falling for the same morals-trap like many others here. This isn't a fight between the righteous US defending against the evil empire of China, this is a hegemon defending its economic position. And you (and others) are completely buying into the most blatant propaganda I've seen in a long time.

This is exactly what I meant. The US will try to pull the same shit with India decades from now.

But it's telling no one has a response to this.

Oct 26, 2017
I think the issue here partly stems from those who are pro-Huawei believing that those who are anti-Huawei are anti-Huawei for the same reasons that the US government is anti-Huawei. I don't believe most of us are.

The US government could come out and say they want to ban Huawei because it's run by militant leprechauns, and I would still applaud the ban.

Not because I support the US government's reasoning. It's because I'm against a company with known ties to a brutal Chinese government (the company was founded and is run by a member of the CCP for fucks sake).

Anything, no matter how deluded or agenda-driven, that weakens the power of the Chinese government is a good thing.

And you can take your "yeah because the US government is perfect" posts and shove 'em. The US government is far from perfect. But compared to China? They're Shangri-La.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine pretending Chinese and US governments are on the same level of evil.
Imagine being ignorant and thinking they aren't. U.S.A has fucked countries beyond recognition and those countries are still trying to figure how to get the fuck out of that mess.

So dont come here and say they are not at the same level of bullshit.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think the issue here partly stems from those who are pro-Huawei believing that those who are anti-Huawei are anti-Huawei for the same reasons that the US government is anti-Huawei. I don't believe most of us are.

The US government could come out and say they want to ban Huawei because it's run by militant leprechauns, and I would still applaud the ban.

Not because I support the US government's reasoning. It's because I'm against a company with known ties to a brutal Chinese government (the company was founded and is run by a member of the CCP for fucks sake).

Anything, no matter how deluded or agenda-driven, that weakens the power of the Chinese government is a good thing.

And you can take your "yeah because the US government is perfect" posts and shove 'em. The US government is far from perfect. But compared to China? They're Shangri-La.
The American government won't stop with Huawei. It's just the beginning. And it's not just China. India, México, the EU, who could be next?

And from someone who has had relatives tortured and murdered thanks to the US, (Argentina) I disagree. The US has done far more for authoritarianism in the world than China has, and it doesn't look like China will catch up any time soon.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I don't have a crystal ball, and I don't deal in future possibilities.

We're talking about China. Modern day China.
Isn't that what you are doing with the spying accusations and there connection to ccp? Or do you not underscribe the idea of spying? And tell me what Huawei have done with there connection to ccp?

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that what you are doing with the spying accusations and there connection to ccp? Or do you not underscribe the idea of spying? And tell me what Huawei have done with there connection to ccp?

If you know of a way to gain access to the government secrets of one of the most secretive regimes on the planet, I'm all ears.

I'm basing my decisions on what we know. We know Huawei has a history of stealing intellectual property. Which makes them a shitty company. We know the company has strong links to the brutal Chinese government via their president and founder (among others). Which makes them a shitty company.

I do my best to not support shitty companies. I don't eat at Chick-fil-A. I don't eat Papa John's Pizza. I don't buy from Huawei. Anything negative that happens to any of these companies is a plus in my book.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Agreed completely.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Honestly yes. Because it comes down to being willing to accept all the bad for a few good things. Eventually a cure could have been found but having trump's name go in the history book as being the president who was responsible for curing cancer and destroying china's growing influence in the world only reinforces his ideals.

Maybe that way of thinking is what we need more of in order to stop losing to conservatives..

When you're putting your hate of one person over the lives of others you need to re-examine yourself. FFS...

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I think you're mixing up a few things here...
The entity list the ban is based on is no "international sanction", it's US domestic trade law and thus they do not need to give a good justification or reasons for why they put some company or person on it. They might as well have given IP theft as their justification as they usually do - like they had no qualms about instigating a Section 301 investigation based on IPR related matter and imposing tariffs on $250 billions worth in goods - the aluminium and steel tariffs are btw unrelated and based on different laws (Section 232, the national security clause).
In another case, they simply put a company on the Entity list for "national security" reasons because the manufacturing capacity of their new plant was too big and thus might threaten US manufacturers in the future... If something like that is enough of a justification, I'd argue IP theft, even alleged one, is more than enough. Not to mention, the reason they gave is also quite shaky and doesn't sound like they have any proof on that front either.
I'm also not talking about motives. I'm well aware of what the US is trying to do. I literally wrote the book on that. It is why It is quite sad to see how easy it is for them to manipulate people into chugging along with their ploy and supporting positions that might not necessarily in their interest. It's kinda like what liberals accuse right-wingers of: voting against their interest, although this case is somewhat more complex.

People here seem to cheer the administration for bravely defending their privacy (which, when it comes to the NSA they don't seem to value very much), when in reality the administration doesn't give a shit about them or their dick pics. They didn't even try to frame this as a national security/theft/espionage thing, probably because they know that nobody is going to bother checking anyway. China has been demonized by the US since the Tianmen massacre, in some instances rightfully so, but this also lead to worryingly blind complacency over the last couple of years. Because Americans seem to believe to be on the moral high ground, anything the administration does against "the opponent" will be the just/right thing to do - and we have more than enough examples throughout history to know that is the most slippery slope of all. You wouldn't even need to go back more than 15 years. Heck, we already had more than enough people here demanding war against China ... based on accusations the US had been unable to prove for the last 7 years and hurt national pride. People just "know" these accusations are true because it fits their view of China that has been constructed for over 30 years. That's how we get sensationalist articles like the one from Bloomberg 3 Weeks ago which instigated some of these demands for immediate war - and then turned out to be less than nothing.

It is clear that they want to use Huawei as a bargaining chip in the greater context of IPR protection issues - BUT, and that's the important thing to stress, Huawei in this case was not banned for that. They were officially banned for a completely unrelated thing. And it's dangerous to ignore these details, as it only feeds into people's confirmation bias. That's how we get fake news because what people will take away from this is "ha! I knew it, Huawei steals my stuff and thus they were punished", when that's NOT what is happening, at all.
So, in short: we're in times of war, truth dies first, and you better carefully read what they tell you or you'll soon be looking for your next weapons of mass consumption.
I hope that came out wrong and you don't mean that Tiananmen square was itself actual demonization, because hoo boy. But fair enough, I didn't know that it was only based on domestic legislation, though I think the Iran case was still brought up to drag allies into it if America's own barriers proved ineffective enough. In any case it's the same difference. We all know they're just looking for a stick to beat the other with, doesn't mean the stick is the actual reason, which in this case I think you agree it isn't.

It could be me, but I don't see many people buy into the actual propaganda. Unless you mean the CCP is not building a technological dystopia to harass minorities and dissidents, in which case, it's rich to start talking about propaganda. As for the security threat and Iran link (not related to 5G), I think most people see it for what it is.

For me as a European this is a fight between turd sandwich and giant douche. Or in other words, let them fight (even if my own stocks are doing poor). But you can recognize the US is a turd sandwich, and also think their grievances regarding stolen IP and discriminatory trade barriers are legit.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
If you know of a way to gain access to the government secrets of one of the most secretive regimes on the planet, I'm all ears.

I'm basing my decisions on what we know. We know Huawei has a history of stealing intellectual property. Which makes them a shitty company. We know the company has strong links to the brutal Chinese government via their president and founder (among others). Which makes them a shitty company.

I do my best to not support shitty companies. I don't eat at Chick-fil-A. I don't eat Papa John's Pizza. I don't buy from Huawei. Anything negative that happens to any of these companies is a plus in my book.
Now you say that you don't have access to such information. So it is you now that is speaking in hypotheticals. I don't know but is Huawei ever been found guilty of stealing ,in a court? So if I understand, you never buy items made in China? And no components either? Then I congratulate you and you can go and do the same to other shitty countries (government). That must not be easy to do I think.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the opinion that the world should make it difficult for every Chinese company to operate globally until they fully open up their economy to foreign competition. This includes all sectors such as banking along with tech.
Agreed, and that is dead on. Folks will likely call you a nationalist, though. lol
So I guess the Opium Wars were justified huh?

Oct 26, 2017
Now you say that you don't have access to such information. So it is you now that is speaking in hypotheticals. I don't know but is Huawei ever been found guilty of stealing ,in a court? So if I understand, you never buy items made in China? And no components either? Then I congratulate you and you can go and do the same to other shitty countries (government). That must not be easy to do I think.

You're really bending over backwards to defend Huawei here.

The things I mentioned being hypothetical are the spying aspects. We know about the IP theft. They've been caught numerous times. This isn't a point that can be argued unless you're being intellectually dishonest. Same with their links to the Chinese government.

As for my buying habits, reread my post. I do my best to avoid shitty companies, but it's impossible to avoid it completely. Which means, yes, I don't knowingly buy items from China. If I own a product that has a component from China in it, there's not much I can do about that. But I do my best.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The things I mentioned being hypothetical are the spying aspects. We know about the IP theft. They've been caught numerous times. This isn't a point that can be argued unless you're being intellectually dishonest. Same with their links to the Chinese government.

As for my buying habits, reread my post. I do my best to avoid shitty companies, but it's impossible to avoid it completely. Which means, yes, I don't knowingly buy items from China. If I own a product that has a component from China in it, there's not much I can do about that. But I do my best.
Come on, this is not about 'IP theft", let's be honest about our positions here.

Is this about the fact that they're "stooge of the government"?
Because they're not really different than any Chinese company in that regard, and in fact, I can't see many regards that they all that unique outsize size and success.
Is the argument really that we should ban business with all Chinese companies?
And if not, what the fuck are we trying to achieve with this?

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019

Good for you. Always stick to your values. No it really isn't about defending Huawei. It is the process that is completely wrong. In this world I would expect rules and not survival of the fittest. Because I know that one day you will be on the receiving end. And if that someone is worse then the US (which already is very very bad). Then you have made your own bed. And it will not be in the benefit of the world or it's people. And we won't have a war behind the scenes. We will have a real war or oppression. There really isn't a great idea about these actions. It is about bullying another superpower and use other countries as pawns to achieve what you want.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Get the fuck out of here with this shit.

You don't have to be a nationalist to understand Huawei is a terrible company that is part of the Chinese government. Many people see through the bullshit, not just Americans.

Oct 26, 2017
Come on, this is not about 'IP theft", let's be honest about our positions here.

Is this about the fact that they're "stooge of the government"?
Because they're not really different than any Chinese company in that regard, and in fact, I can't see many regards that they all that unique outsize size and success.
Is the argument really that we should ban business with all Chinese companies?
And if not, what the fuck are we trying to achieve with this?

For me, IP theft does play a role in my dislike of Huawei.

As far as banning all business with Chinese companies, that would be ridiculous.

A Chinese shoe making company with ties to a brutal Chinese government would have infinitesimally less power and influence than a telecommunications company with links to a brutal Chinese government. Supporting the shoe company makes them richer. Supporting the tech company makes them even richer, more powerful, more knowledgeable, and gives them the ability to grow far beyond their already massive reach.

I don't feel comfortable supporting China's government in any way. But I'm especially uncomfortable supporting them by handing them society's technological backbone.
Edit: I should mention I'm not just talking about their phones. I'm talking about their 5G tech.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we're going mid-19th century to defend modern China now?
Sounds more like you don't know anything about the Opium Wars and therefore have no clue as to how the posts I quoted are related to my response to them. It's not a defense; it's an observation. But if makes you feel better, you can dismiss me as a CCP apologist looking to increase my social credit score.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
For me, IP theft does play a role in my dislike of Huawei.

As far as banning all business with Chinese companies, that would be ridiculous.

A Chinese shoe making company with ties to a brutal Chinese government would have infinitesimally less power and influence than a telecommunications company with links to a brutal Chinese government.

I don't feel comfortable supporting China's government in any way. But I'm especially uncomfortable supporting them by handing them society's technological backbone.

Edit: I should mention I'm not just talking about their phones. I'm talking about their 5G tech.

Their core business was built in part on being a huge pillar in Nortel's death via IP theft and basically bugging upper management.
North America would have had our own telecom equipment provider had it not been for Huawei. Which BTW started out a Nortel reseller in China.

I have 0 sympathy for them. And it's odd that despite all the protestations of US making this political, pro-Hauwei posters often and routinely fall back in anticipaiton for the Chinese government's response, as if Huawei is, you know, is an arm of the Chinese government.

Odd.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Their core business was built in part on being a huge pillar in Nortel's death via IP theft and basically bugging upper management.
North America would have had our own telecom equipment provider had it not been for Huawei. Which BTW started out a Nortel reseller in China.

I have 0 sympathy for them. And it's odd that despite all the protestations of US making this political, pro-Hauwei posters often and routinely fall back in anticipaiton for the Chinese government's response, as if Huawei is, you know, is an arm of the Chinese government.

Odd.

And It would have been a Canadian telecoms manufacturer that had some real good shit in the works before they their throats slit by fucking Huawei. I had an Uncle up north who was middle management when that shit went down and He went deep into the bottle as that shit fell apart and only got himself cleaned up to work at Samsung in the last 3 years.

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope that came out wrong and you don't mean that Tiananmen square was itself actual demonization, because hoo boy. But fair enough, I didn't know that it was only based on domestic legislation, though I think the Iran case was still brought up to drag allies into it if America's own barriers proved ineffective enough. In any case it's the same difference. We all know they're just looking for a stick to beat the other with, doesn't mean the stick is the actual reason, which in this case I think you agree it isn't.

Tiananmen square was THE turning point in US-Chinese relationships. Reagan famously used to refer to China as the "so-called communist country". After the massacre, the administration couldn't completely ignore the atrocities anymore. Particularly the opposition saw their chance to instrumentalize human rights issues for their own agenda - which they certainly did. Kinda one of those rare cases where the means didn't justify the ends, and not exactly the most glorious chapter in democrats history.

It could be me, but I don't see many people buy into the actual propaganda. Unless you mean the CCP is not building a technological dystopia to harass minorities and dissidents, in which case, it's rich to start talking about propaganda. As for the security threat and Iran link (not related to 5G), I think most people see it for what it is.
[...]

That's the issue though. We're talking about an international trade conflict, which is about a lot of things, but certainly not about human rights or anything else that happens in China. The US administration doesn't care about that, at all. They are just exploiting scary images to receive a free pass from the population. It's a lot easier to sell some heroic fight against an oppressive regime than what's actually going on - that is, preserving the economic and technological leadership and rights to make as much money as possible of US businesses. You surely won't find many demanding a war over the latter.

do I really need to quote the official press release again? or do you accept my word that IP theft, espionage and other such claims were not mentioned once in the reasoning for why they have been banned?

Oct 26, 2017
do I really need to quote the official press release again? or do you accept my word that IP theft, espionage and other such claims were not mentioned once in the reasoning for why they have been banned?

You don't need to quote anything because I already addressed this.

I'll just quote myself:

Makai

Oct 25, 2017
It will absolutely be an Asian threat this century as both China and India will come knocking on the United States' doors as emerging superpowers. To think the United States will not try to flex their muscle much the way they are doing now with China is naive. Anything to not lose their relative position on the international stage (my expectation is that it will be a futile attempt, but that's debate for another thread).
We're strengthening ties with India, so how will that relationship turn around on us? They'll be our new manufacturing base and a regional counter to China. A lot of Indians even speak native English.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't, if you look up my earlier post i always used "Trump".
But my fault for mistaking you, sorry for that.
So are you boycotting all Chinese products?
Hard to boycott, but I tend not to buy Chinese because I don't want to support an oppressive regime. I think anyone who is capable of doing so should.