• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Low light has the same problem as the mate 20 pro, where fine details shake.

Yeah I'm not surprised. It's been a consistent problem with the P20/Mate 20 series. There's also a weird jelloing effect along the sides even in good light.

There's already YouTube videos out there talking about the low light. Maybe have a look before u troll it's abiltiy in low light

Low light videos are great now? 😜 I'd like to be proven wrong on this, but Huawei doesn't have a great track record with regards to their video capabilities.

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah I'm not surprised. It's been a consistent problem with the P20/Mate 20 series. There's also a weird jelloing effect along the sides even in good light.

Low light videos are great now? 😜 I'd like to be proven wrong on this, but Huawei doesn't have a great track record with regards to their video capabilities.

The jelloing effect has been sorted on mate 20 pro.
The main issue is stabilisation on low or unnatural light, fine details will be jerky.
The p20 pro does not have this issue.
I think it's a software issue though, because it only happens on the video recorder, it's not present with the photo mode.

Also my video proves to that other poster u quoted that the last 2 Huawei have low light video recording issues.

I just tested it again now on my mate 20 pro in my kitchen at night with only the stove light on and it does appear better but the problem does not seem completely removed. I might test outside later tonight.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017
I'm pretty sure now I'm gonna get this phone. Battery seems oustanding and the camera pretty much is a miracle regarding the tele photos and the low light photos. Been a Samsung user for years but the S10+ just isn't as ground-breaking.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm pretty sure now I'm gonna get this phone. Battery seems oustanding and the camera pretty much is a miracle regarding the tele photos and the low light photos. Been a Samsung user for years but the S10+ just isn't as ground-breaking.

As long as you don't plan on doing low or unnatural video recording, I'm sure it's a great phone, it's very similar to my mate 20 pro.

But I think I would recommend the s10 over a Huawei.

Feb 10, 2018
The low-light video might get patched.... For what reason would you prefer the S10 over a HW as a m20 user?

Just the lowlight poor video recording performance.
Samsung have better build quality, they are more durable.

Mate 20 pro is great with speed, gaming and battery life though, but I think the s10 range is more flawless.

However the Huawei may last longer, my galaxy s6 battery took a shit after 18months and performance also took a shit.
So maybe my opinion will change after the 18 month mark.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

Mate 20 pro is great with speed, gaming and battery life though, but I think the s10 range is more flawless.

However the Huawei may last longer, my galaxy s6 battery took a shit after 18months and performance also took a shit.
Samsung's new batteries are a lot better. They degrade at a slower pace (Samsung says it'll retain 95% of its maximum capacity over a 2 year period).

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pfffffft, Huawei charging Samsung pricing. The next Xaomi phone will have matching specs and tech for 5-600 tops. Actually the phone's specs aren't even that amazing, its all the camera I guess.

My Mi Mix 3 is as good, with no notch, with a camera that's almost as good, even in low light. They can huff and puff all they want about the camera but it's still a cell phone camera in the end and at best you're going to see a marginal increase in the final product (minus the telephoto part..that's something no camera does). I also paid $500 for it.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Since Huawei started the collaboration with Leica pretty much all their smartphone have stunning cameras and i believe most comes from a great software (great algorithm), i've noticed this even in their mid-range phones, and it doesn't even have to be a branded Leica camera, since they upgraded the software for all their models.

I've used both (to be fair i had Samsung before and few years ago their software was REALLY bad, like some hot trash), and Huawei phones tend to last longer because Touchwiz is so unnecessarily heavy and Samsung makes it worse each update to force you to change smartphone.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
How is Huawei with Android updates? Im seriously considering this phone but I have gotten pretty used to the constant updates on the pixel.

Nov 30, 2018

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Wow now the Chinese government can drive my car off the road for me, how convenient!

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Just governments banning their hardware from usage. If you want to hand wave that away that's up to you.

https://packetpushers.net/are-huawei-products-unsafe-or-insecure-a-review/

The sole existence of Huawei was made possible by stealing and copying technology for years. I mean, sure, hand wave a scum company away because they have a cool camera on a cell phone and tell yourself whatever lies you want to make yourself feel better, but don't get upset when people don't want to jump on the wagon of fetishizing a shit company and its history.

Edit - wasn't directed at you andycapps just to be clear

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The USA hasn't provided a single example of installing backdoors in Huawei hardware. They aren't even capable of providing fake evidences ala Iraq because it would be easily falsifiable.
Then do your thing. Have fun. Clearly you're fighting the good fight.

The sole existence of Huawei was made possible by stealing and copying technology for years. I mean, sure, hand wave a scum company away because they have a cool camera on a cell phone and tell yourself whatever lies you want to make yourself feel better, but don't get upset when people don't want to jump on the wagon of fetishizing a shit company and its history.

Edit - wasn't directed at you andycapps just to be clear

No worries. I agree with you. This is a scummy company with a history like you mentioned and we're just supposed to trust that everything has changed? People are free to do that, but there are other options out there. Going to bat for this company seems odd.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
What I want to know is how come Huawei can stuff so much advance photography hardware in the phone and Samsung can't. I am not talking about risky stuff like fast charging that Samsung doesn't want to take a chance to implement. The low light and optical zoom are so much better than Samsung and Pixel even to regular joes.

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What I want to know is how come Huawei can stuff so much advance photography hardware in the phone and Samsung can't. I am not talking about risky stuff like fast charging that Samsung doesn't want to take a chance to implement. The low light and optical zoom are so much better than Samsung and Pixel even to regular joes.

I think Huawei and OPPO worked together with this photograph company to get first dibs. Then Samsung bought the company if in not mistaken so maybe the zoom stuff will be in the note 10 or s11

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Huawei is making some really impressive technology, but I don't trust them at all. Of course it's this age of not being able to trust any companies, but I trust Huawei the least... even though some of their tech and the low prices look amazing.

Most likely that they have a very tight, efficient supply chain and that they're willing to take a loss or go with incredibly slim margins. Being one of the biggest companies in China tightly connected to the Chinese government and being (probably?) the preferred tech leader in China at the moment gives them negotiating power that even huge companies like Samsung or Apple (both outside of China) can't command.

But, mostly, I think they're willing to take very, very slim (or negative) margins to break further into global markets.

They're also probably more willing to take chances on new technology that the seasoned companies, Samsung, Apple, Google, etc., really can't take. That was the case with OPPO a few years ago.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"oh no China is coming for all my very valuable information" -Americans.

Lmao

Phone looks cool.

Eh, suspicion of Huawei is pretty global at this point. The US, European Union, Canada, Australia, Japan, and others have proposals in place or specific requirements against using Hauwei's products. Most of this is around Hauwei's 5G network infrastructure, as they're one of the global leaders in the space.

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Yeah I don't get that either. It is known that so many countries are listening on everything and all of a sudden it is only the chinese that are doing it.
China is the new boogey man. They cants be trusted because they are an Asian country with too much power and influence.

And make sure you don't try to defend them or I'm going to yell out whataboutism. Because others can spy on me but not China, others can bomb kids using weapons from western country but I'm going to ignore that cause I need someone to hate. And this Asian country is growing too fast in power and influence. This Asian country is stealing everything. No tech from there is an innovation because it was stolen. And if it wasn't stolen, this tech has a backdoor to the Chinese government spy program. I typed this using my phone with 100 app from western companies spying on me.

This is how I understand it watching from the outside with no bias.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As long you have vision and money you can develop or acquire the competence needed for this stuff.

It's called R&D.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I wish there was a way of knowing how many posters concerned about Huawei's "spying" are hardcore Apple/Samsung/Google fans.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but they stole that tech. According to some this this thread, everything Huawai does is stolen tech. Also the Chinese gov will be spying on your every move and steal your car using the phone.

Man, I wish there was a /s tag somewhere because this almost got me

Most likely that they have a very tight, efficient supply chain and that they're willing to take a loss or go with incredibly slim margins. Being one of the biggest companies in China tightly connected to the Chinese government and being (probably?) the preferred tech leader in China at the moment gives them negotiating power that even huge companies like Samsung or Apple (both outside of China) can't command.

But, mostly, I think they're willing to take very, very slim (or negative) margins to break further into global markets.

They're also probably more willing to take chances on new technology that the seasoned companies, Samsung, Apple, Google, etc., really can't take. That was the case with OPPO a few years ago.

One downside is that Asian brands may run into a wall very quickly, which is what caught Xiaomi in recent years.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Don't want my phone to unlock my car. I will never put my life on my phone. I use it only for basic functions.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
As long you have vision and money you can develop or acquire the competence needed for this stuff.

It's called R&D.

They R&D their SoC and 4G/5G antennas, this I know. But they didn't R&D their camera hardware, they are brought from 3rd party vendors. Samsung could have brought and offered their own 50x zoom but they didn't, why? Is Samsung too cheap to offer top tier camera hardware?

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but they stole that tech. According to some this this thread, everything Huawai does is stolen tech. Also the Chinese gov will be spying on your every move and steal your car using the phone.
Huawei does do stolen tech. Why is this even an argument? They stole something as simple as a robot arm from TMobile that is used in testing.

US indicts Huawei for stealing T-Mobile robot arm, selling US tech to Iran
The other indictment charges Huawei with stealing cell phone testing technology from T-Mobile. And Huawei is accused of stealing the technology in the most literal sense: according to the indictment, a Huawei employee entered a T-Mobile testing lab, put a proprietary robot arm into his laptop bag, and walked out. The heist was the final step in Huawei's increasingly aggressive efforts to learn how T-Mobile's smartphone testing system works