• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Did you know that China arrested Canadian citizens because the Huawei CFO was arrested in Canada because she had charges against her in the United States and Canada has extradition deal with the US? What about China conveniently stopping the purchase of Canadian canola due to health issues even though an investigation yielded no problems nor has any other buy raised concern.

To say it'a fearmongering means you live with your head in the sand. The Chinese government is batting so hard for Huawei to even where they threaten other countries for banning the 5g tech.

Want to clarify some things here:

1) No, my head isn't in the sand. Yes, I'm aware of what has been happening.

2) I didn't say fearmongering, I quoted the person saying it. The key difference is that I quoted it because in a way I feel there really is no point to these threads. The minute someone makes a Xiaomi or Huawei thread it gets derailed instantly, because this forum is largely against what the chinese government has been doing. That begs the question: Why aren't Huawei or Xiaomi threads banned here?

3) This thread suffers the same constant loop of 'new electronic device pushing boundary - People see its from chinese company - chinese government posts are made - no one cares about said phone anymore'. The logical step would be to just stop making these threads, ban threads about these companies entirely, or change the titles, as they just end up becoming monthly chinese government threads and not tech threads.

4) I was wondering if you could answer the question about what if that poster buys this phone used on ebay? I'm legitimately curious about your answer.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Want to clarify some things here:

1) No, my head isn't in the sand. Yes, I'm aware of what has been happening.

2) I didn't say fearmongering, I quoted the person saying it. The key difference is that I quoted it because in a way I feel there really is no point to these threads. The minute someone makes a Xiaomi or Huawei thread it gets derailed instantly, because this forum is largely against what the chinese government has been doing. That begs the question: Why aren't Huawei or Xiaomi threads banned here?

3) This thread suffers the same constant loop of 'new electronic device pushing boundary - People see its from chinese company - chinese government posts are made - no one cares about said phone anymore'. The logical step would be to just stop making these threads, ban threads about these companies entirely, or change the titles, as they just end up becoming monthly chinese government threads and not tech threads.

4) I was wondering if you could answer the question about what if that poster buys this phone used on ebay? I'm legitimately curious about your answer.
There is a point to these threads: let others know that just because they dangle a shiny object doesn't mean you should get it.

Used phones are still marketing tools as people can see it. Just don't buy it. It's simple as that.

If anyone is murky about things like Apple and their Chinese deal, sure, it's a headscratcher about what you should do. For Huawei? It's clear as day: do not buy.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Still rather get spied on by US than Chinese government at this point.
I don't like being spied by anyone. And USA , China and Russia are the biggest but not the only one.
I have a Huawei and it is much better then other phones I got.
And trust me the Chinese are rapidly catching up in technology, even exceeding them.
And I would guess if someone tried to take out Google or Apple that the US goverment would fight for them to.
I have a feeling they are trying to stop Huawei.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
There is a point to these threads: let others know that just because they dangle a shiny object doesn't mean you should get it.

Used phones are still marketing tools as people can see it. Just don't buy it. It's simple as that.

If anyone is murky about things like Apple and their Chinese deal, sure, it's a headscratcher about what you should do. For Huawei? It's clear as day: do not buy.
I disagree.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
From your comment about DXO mark I inferred that you think it's not a good measure of Huawei's camera quality does that also apply to Apple and Samsung's relatively high scores or just Huawei's? I mentioned the live test but it seems that that isn't a good measure of the quality of the cameras on this phone either. So what is good measure of the Mate 30 pro's camera and no snarky comments by fans of Apple and Samsung is not a good measure of the P30 pro's camera. Lol

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Well said, Huawei and Xiaomi do great phones, often innovative ones, but it's impossible to talk about them because everything turns to China wants to spy on you. Somehow Oneplus threads are free of all these comments.

The OnePlus is a good phone but not as good as Apple, Samsung or Google so the rabid tribalism is reigned in. People don't feel threatened.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States

Then you end up changing the content of a thread. I understand the battle here, and instead of everyone doing a snowball / dogpile of comments regarding the chinese government, the moderators or OP should put in big bold letters at the top information regarding the chinese government, while still letting us discuss the tech aspect. Instead what we currently have is half a thread about chinese politics and barely half a thread about the actual phone. Imagine going into a political thread here and seeing half of it about a car.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
For the record, I wouldn't buy a Huawei phone and I don't mind that people have used this thread to express their conflicted views of such a product. I made the thread because I hope these features go mainstream, but I don't necessarily care for the manufacturer.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
No iphone for you then:

"Today Apple formally transferred its Chinese iCloud operations to a local firm in southern China. It also began hosting its iCloud encryption keys in China, instead of the US, for the first time. The move has been expected since last year when Apple announced its partnership with Guizhou-Cloud Big Data (GCBD), a Chinese firm supervised by a board ran by government-owned businesses, with close ties to the government and Chinese Communist Party. "

That sucks for Chinese customers but it doesn't impact me as a US citizen. iOS is still developed in the US and my data isn't being funneled to the Chinese government. I can't say that for a Huawei phone.

But yeah, you got me on the technicality by my earlier post.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
You kind of do when you disagree with the idea of not buying an object from an authoritarian government. It's like being against Saudi Arabia or North Korea but then visiting the place.
So you are saying that all the people are bad at this place? So they have to be punished to? There are many things that I don't like that the USA or other countries are doing and who has a big hand in all the business. Shall I stop buying these things to? Or should I stop buying computers and consoles to?

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
So you are saying that all the people are bad at this place? So they have to be punished to? There are many things that I don't like that the USA or other countries are doing and who has a big hand in all the business. Shall I stop buying these things to? Or should I stop buying computers and consoles to?
It's called boycotting. Nobody is knocking all people of a certain place, just the governments and the companies in their pockets.

Also, online communities have a lot more bad actors than you'd think, calling shit like this "innovative" and acting like their country can do no wrong.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
It's called boycotting. Nobody is knocking all people of a certain place, just the governments and the companies in their pockets.

Also, online communities have a lot more bad actors than you'd think, calling shit like this "innovative" and acting like their country can do no wrong.
I don't say that there government don't do bad stuff. But where do you draw the line? Then you literally can't buy any stuff anymore. Which countries or products are clean. I don't think you can find many really clean products. Certainly not with any technology.
In my mind if you buy Apple or an Xbox or Playstation you are basically doing the same stuff. Only sneakier and maybe worse. Because there is less control for the components they make.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
How much social credit y'all getting for supporting Huawei?
Or maybe it is just a good brand. My nephew and sister has got a couple of smartphones that went broken but the Huawei is still going strong (and no I am not saying that it is much stronger then others, only that I am satisfied with it).
I even bought the one of my nephew, because kids these days buy new smartphones half a year it seems.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is the US government arresting people because another country arrested a criminal? Probably not, but if that were the case my response would be the same about the US.

You have solid reasoning to not purchase Huawei products. You can choose to buy them but you will then be directly supporting an authoritarian regime that strong arms and bullies other countries for not following in line.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I don't say that there government don't do bad stuff. But where do you draw the line?
By drawing a line.

I dont mind foxconn, theyre a Taiwanese company. Even a chinese company like Lenovo I probably wouldnt mind buying from either. Unless you've been living under a rock its pretty obvious the chinese government=Huawei though considering their response to mengs arrest. I would say thats a pretty good spot to draw a line.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
By drawing a line.

I dont mind foxconn, theyre a Taiwanese company. Even a chinese company like Lenovo I probably wouldnt mind buying from either. Unless you've been living under a rock its pretty obvious the chinese government=Huawei though considering their response to mengs arrest. I would say thats a pretty good spot to draw a line.
What do you think happens if someone from China arrested Tim Cook or someone else of the big companies. Don't you think that America will push China to? I really don't know the relationship with Huawei and the government. But I do know that every country has dirt on them.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What do you think happens if someone from China arrested Tim Cook or someone else of the big companies. Don't you think that America will push China to? I really don't know the relationship with Huawei and the government. But I do know that every country has dirt on them.
What if scenarios are so dumb. Wait til it happens and then we can discuss it.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018

Not every country is an authoritarian regime with reeducation camps.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Is the US government arresting people because another country arrested a criminal? Probably not, but if that were the case my response would be the same about the US.

You have solid reasoning to not purchase Huawei products. You can choose to buy them but you will then be directly supporting an authoritarian regime that strong arms and bullies other countries for not following in line.
But the USA is selling all these military stuff to Saudi Arabia despite Yemen and despite the clear violations of Saudi Arabia and the murders they did. So are you saying to me that you don't buy American products that clearly help the government? I don't think so.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017

Too bad almost all the Chinese people I know feel that Canada arrested the CFO of Huawei under the pressure of US without a justified cause. And let's not forget that Trump tweeted earlier that the fate of the Huawei CFO is negotiable if China complies with the demands of US in the trade negotiation, which, in the eyes of the Chinese people, looks a lot like holding hostages. The CFO of Huawei, from what I know, is also suing the Canadian government for the violation of her constitutional rights. Maybe we should wait a little more before rushing to conclusions?

P.S. The Chinese government, authoritarian as it is, arrested the Canadians in accordance with their national law. They didn't say it was out of retribution; of course we could choose not to believe them, but they do have the rights to arrest foreigns out of suspicion - in the same way as the Canadian government - on their land. Let's not do the double standard thing, please?

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Too bad almost all the Chinese people I know feel that Canada arrested the CFO of Huawei under the pressure of US without a justified cause. And let's not forget that Trump tweeted earlier that the fate of CFO is negotiable if China complies with the requests of US in the trade negotiation, which, in eyes of the Chinese people, looks a lot like holding hostages. The CFO of Huawei, from what I know, is also suing the Canadian government for the violation of her constitutional rights. Maybe we should wait a little more before rushing to conclusions?

P.S. The Chinese government, authoritarian as it is, arrested the Canadians in accordance with their national law. They didn't say it was out of retribution; we could choose not to believe so, but they do have the rights to arrest foreigns out of suspicion - in the same way as the Canadian government - on their land. Let's not do the double standard thing, please?
I agree completely. I feel that there are double standards being applied.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
If America made up phony charges to arrest several chinese nationals in retaliation. You have my permission to boycott american products.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But the USA is selling all these military stuff to Saudi Arabia despite Yemen and despite the clear violations of Saudi Arabia and the murders they did. So are you saying to me that you don't buy American products that clearly help the government? I don't think so.
I don't support the American government, and I'm not sure I am buying products from their tech branches. In fact, I think they contract that out instead of having a stake in things like Microsoft.

Too bad almost all the Chinese people I know feel that Canada arrested the CFO of Huawei under the pressure of US without a justified cause. And let's not forget that Trump tweeted earlier that the fate of CFO is negotiable if China complies with the requests of US in the trade negotiation, which, in the eyes of the Chinese people, looks a lot like holding hostages. The CFO of Huawei, from what I know, is also suing the Canadian government for the violation of her constitutional rights. Maybe we should wait a little more before rushing to conclusions?

P.S. The Chinese government, authoritarian as it is, arrested the Canadians in accordance with their national law. They didn't say it was out of retribution; of course we could choose not to believe them, but they do have the rights to arrest foreigns out of suspicion - in the same way as the Canadian government - on their land. Let's not do the double standard thing, please?
Trump hasn't done anything yet, though, speaking doesn't mean Chinese people are arrested in the US. China has already arrested individuals and is instigating trade fuckery with Canada over this. Of course she is suing for constitutional rights, she's trying hard not to be arrested by the US government.

So those arrested in China have seen lawyers? Able to fight their case in court similar to Meng has in Canada? HMMMM

You're stanning pretty hard for them.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I don't support the American government, and I'm not sure I am buying products from their tech branches. In fact, I think they contract that out instead of having a stake in things like Microsoft.

Trump hasn't done anything yet, though, speaking doesn't mean Chinese people are arrested in the US. China has already arrested individuals and is instigating trade fuckery with Canada over this. Of course she is suing for constitutional rights, she's trying hard not to be arrested by the US government.

So those arrested in China have seen lawyers? Able to fight their case in court similar to Meng has in Canada? HMMMM

You're stanning pretty hard for them.
So I guess you don't travel then by plane then? Or do you only fly with Airbus?
He's probably chinese so there's that.
I hope you are not talking about me. I come from and live in Belgium.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Too bad almost all the Chinese people I know feel that Canada arrested the CFO of Huawei under the pressure of US without a justified cause. And let's not forget that Trump tweeted earlier that the fate of the Huawei CFO is negotiable if China complies with the demands of US in the trade negotiation, which, in the eyes of the Chinese people, looks a lot like holding hostages. The CFO of Huawei, from what I know, is also suing the Canadian government for the violation of her constitutional rights. Maybe we should wait a little more before rushing to conclusions?

Thats great that meng is able to sue the canadian government. Too bad the canadians have not been given any access to lawyers to do the same, nor have they been formally charged for a crime. Perhaps the canadian government should put meng in the same conditions as the canadian prisoners instead of letting her stay in her mansion.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you also have a real answer on my question?
Yeah, I fly on planes. Who doesn't? You don't have some gotcha hypocritical moment here because Huawei and things like AirCanada aren't comparable. You're trying to shift the conversation from China to "WHAT ABOUT AMERICA".

It's quite obvious you're stanning really fucking hard for an authoritative government and their tactics. FYI: whataboutism is the most used tactic when people are confronted with wrongdoing: China references "the West" a lot when it comes to their own policies and go, "The West hasn't legalized gay marriage so we shouldn't either".

Jul 18, 2018
What are these hot takes of Chinese government taking your info. Meanwhile all other manufacturers and companies that are non-chinese are already doing it. Lol..

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Yeah, I fly on planes. Who doesn't? You don't have some gotcha hypocritical moment here because Huawei and things like AirCanada aren't comparable. You're trying to shift the conversation from China to "WHAT ABOUT AMERICA".

It's quite obvious you're stanning really fucking hard for an authoritative government and their tactics.
Man stop I am not stanning for anybody. I am saying that their is much more dirt going around then where you are drawing the line.
Or are you also saying that you specifically fly with Airbus or Embraer and not with Boeing?
The world is a much darker place then you think. And no it is not only about America.
Here in Belgium for example we sell weapons to Saudi Arabia and that's no problem it seems. It is time to see that when you buy or consume that you cannot escape these things. In my eyes it is better that there is a big company like Huawei because it means that China is getting more modern and then the people will also have more chance to revolt against these regimes because they are more aware of other countries and also are getting a little more freedom. It is better then some secret hiding places where they make clothes for these luxury clothes or tech brands.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
What are these hot takes of Chinese government taking your info. Meanwhile all other manufacturers and companies that are non-chinese are already doing it. Lol..
Yeah I don't get that either. It is known that so many countries are listening on everything and all of a sudden it is only the chinese that are doing it.