• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
The 5x optical zoom uses a prism to redirect the light to the side, so the zoom is not limited by chassis depth but rather the much bigger length. That is actually pretty innovative. Although I prefer the regular P30 due to the flat display.

That periscope arrangement has been done before... by Asus, of all people. And it was an actual zoom, as in having a variable focal length. AFAIK this Huawei is not a zoom, it's a fixed focal length tele.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
China is waging a trade war with Canada over this company and people have the stones to say the Chinese Government isn't active at this company.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Pay is a pretty reliable thing... I'd want a function to start my car or unlock it.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
China is waging a trade war with Canada over this company and people have the stones to say the Chinese Government isn't active at this company.

I don't think anyone has said that. What people have said, and rightly so, is that it is ironic, hypocritical even, to avoid Huawei because they may give your info to the Chinese government, when they already probably use many services that do exactly the same, but for the American government.

You are already being spied on. By China and by the US both. Not buying a Huawei phone will do little to change that.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This phone along with their foldable phone is leagues above anything else out there and that makes people salty. They have nothing so they have to resort to fear mongering

Yeah, we should all support a company that has been charged with and even caught in the act of corporate espionage on multiple occasions. Regardless of the spying accusations, the fact that their own executives don't even use Huawei phones should tell you something.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't think anyone has said that. What people have said, and rightly so, is that it is ironic, hypocritical even, to avoid Huawei because they may give your info to the Chinese government, when they already probably use many services that do exactly the same, but for the American government.

You are already being spied on. By China and by the US both. Not buying a Huawei phone will do little to change that.

Still rather get spied on by US than Chinese government at this point.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we should all support a company that has been charged with and even caught in the act of corporate espionage on multiple occasions. Regardless of the spying accusations, the fact that their own executives don't even use Huawei phones should tell you something.

Yeah, I am sure companies other than Huawei are pure as white. And to be honest I don't see why it is a problem that employees of a company do not use their own products. Google executives use MacBooks quite much; Lenovo managers use iPhone all the time - executives have preferences too you know.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I am sure companies other than Huawei are pure as white. And to be honest I don't see why it is a problem that employees of a company do not use their own products. Google executives use MacBooks quite much; Lenovo managers use iPhone all the time - executives have preferences too you know.

Umm, she is the daughter of the FOUNDER of Huawei - not just some executive who leaves and joins new companies every few years.

And you may not care about corporate espionage but I refuse to support any company that takes part in state-sponsored cyber attacks to steal IP and undercut prices to indrectly bankrupt companies like Nortel (even if they had their own problems).

Last edited:

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
@ people saying it's fear mongering over China: People made a huge stink over the US spying on them. So it's not unusual to be even more alarmed at an authoritarian state's attempt at doing the same. China is actively being very malicious with the use and control of personal information of their own citizens. Ethnic genocide, kidnapping and torture of political dissidents, forced organ donations, nationwide censorship and firewalls to control all information, and social credit systems -- I'd be afraid.

Last edited:

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Pointless preference, because the practical effects to you, a random individual (not an important government official or business person), are exactly the same one way or another. To prefer the US over China on this matter in my experience often comes from simple nationalism.

Chinese government slightly more shady with their human rights record, spying, hacking and internet censorship. Should I let Russian hackers get my info too since the US government spies on me?

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. I've just checked out DxO camera review. Huawei must have paid for this.

Only thing that looks good is 5x zoom. Just look at this picture which seemingly has excelent bookeh, lol.

Huawei's portrait mode looks astonishingly bad in comparison to S10+ and XS Max

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
@ people saying it's fear mongering over China: People made a huge stink over the US spying on them. So it's not unusual to be even more alarmed at an authoritarian state's attempt at doing the same. China is actively being very malicious with the use and control of personal information of their own citizens. Ethnic genocide, kidnapping and torture of political dissidents, forced organ donations, nationwide censorship and firewalls to control all information, and social credit systems -- I'd be afraid.

I mean I would be too if I was chinese citizen but I am not. I don't see what they could do with the data of person living oceans away from them and being citizen of completely different country. On the other hand your own government spying on you would more likely use that data against you.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
It is fear mongering especially by fanatically American Samsung and Apple Stans the rest of the world has no problem with Huawei phones. Enjoy your inferior cameras and paranoia guys!

Last edited:

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I never liked the overprocessed details in Huawei phone cameras even though they score high on DxOMark. So I'll go with Xiaomi again. No thanks.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
How about at the absolute least where the software isn't developed by a company with ties to the Chinese government.

No iphone for you then:

"Today Apple formally transferred its Chinese iCloud operations to a local firm in southern China. It also began hosting its iCloud encryption keys in China, instead of the US, for the first time. The move has been expected since last year when Apple announced its partnership with Guizhou-Cloud Big Data (GCBD), a Chinese firm supervised by a board ran by government-owned businesses, with close ties to the government and Chinese Communist Party. "

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. I've just checked out DxO camera review. Huawei must have paid for this.

Only thing that looks good is 5x zoom. Just look at this picture which seemingly has excelent bookeh, lol.

Huawei's portrait mode looks astonishingly bad in comparison to S10+ and XS Max

I don't see anything wrong with the first 5x zoom bokeh, and the other portrait comparisons are just color science. In fact, the S10+ is oversaturated and too warm.

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
How is "unlocking your car" an impressive feature? There's an app you can download on like... any phone. I had it on my last two Galaxies. Does start and pre-condition too, but doesn't enable driving mode.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
No iphone for you then:

"Today Apple formally transferred its Chinese iCloud operations to a local firm in southern China. It also began hosting its iCloud encryption keys in China, instead of the US, for the first time. The move has been expected since last year when Apple announced its partnership with Guizhou-Cloud Big Data (GCBD), a Chinese firm supervised by a board ran by government-owned businesses, with close ties to the government and Chinese Communist Party. "

Got 'em!

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I would be too if I was chinese citizen but I am not. I don't see what they could do with the data of person living oceans away from them and being citizen of completely different country. On the other hand your own government spying on you would more likely use that data against you.
I dunno. I'd just rather not help propagate an authoritarian state controlled phone brand that can be used in abusing their citizens and maybe extend to hurting or controlling others outside the country one day.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The concern trolling in here is CRAZY! I'm getting this phone. Lol
Supporting Huawei means you support theirs and the Chinese government's tactics to have the Huawei exec freed. This includes arresting Canadian citizens in China, stopping all purchases of canola for which they say there is a safety concern and no other buyer has said there was nor has an invesitgation revealed there is, and the other things they are doing to strong arm countries into compliance with Chinese communist rule. You can laugh this away but you are directly supporting the harm done by this company and their country.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
That's why Chinese services & actually the big five are looking suspicious. At least Apple is encrypting messages and ask for consent first if they want to track analytics and use differential privacy algorithms & you can mostly decline things. It's not what a custom rom like Lineage can offer, but it is still "okay".
However, China is forcing companies to use their servers and they are also forcing their citizens to use apps like WeChat where over time everyone is readable like a billboard at the Times Square.
Huawei wants to catch Apple in that regard. I hope the best for us.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Huawei phones eventually trickle in pro-China news and shit to your feed. 2016 showed the world the power of information and I'm sure these authoritarian fucks are licking their lips.

Croco

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Supporting Huawei means you support theirs and the Chinese government's tactics to have the Huawei exec freed. This includes arresting Canadian citizens in China, stopping all purchases of canola for which they say there is a safety concern and no other buyer has said there was nor has an invesitgation revealed there is, and the other things they are doing to strong arm countries into compliance with Chinese communist rule. You can laugh this away but you are directly supporting the harm done by this company and their country.
No it just means I want to buy the damn phone

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
No it just means I want to buy the damn phone
Buying their products directly supports the Chinese government and their insidious tactics to oppress and bully other countries. You now know this. You can buy it and be jolly but you'll be that dude who supports an authoritarian government.

Feb 1, 2018
Apple Pay is a pretty reliable thing... I'd want a function to start my car or unlock it.

Many car brands already have apps that let you do this + turn on the engine, precondition the AC, or locate the car on a map.

The Huawei CFO had a MacBook, iPad and iPhone on her when she got arrested. China's elite LOVE Apple products.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Many car brands already have apps that let you do this + turn on the engine, precondition the AC, or locate the car on a map.

The Huawei CFO had a MacBook, iPad and iPhone on her when she got arrested. China's elite LOVE Apple products.

Whoa really? I've been out of the car loop for a decade. It's one of those things you research the hell out of, make your purchase, and then forget about

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
The fear mongering in this thread is hilarious...

It has made me wonder why we even make threads about Huawei or Xiaomi anymore. There is no point.

Buying their products directly supports the Chinese government and their insidious tactics to oppress and bully other countries. You now know this. You can buy it and be jolly but you'll be that dude who supports an authoritarian government.

Question: What if Croco buys the phone used on ebay?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It has made me wonder why we even make threads about Huawei or Xiaomi anymore. There is no point.
Did you know that China arrested Canadian citizens because the Huawei CFO was arrested in Canada because she had charges against her in the United States and Canada has extradition deal with the US? What about China conveniently stopping the purchase of Canadian canola due to health issues even though an investigation yielded no problems nor has any other buy raised concern.

To say it'a fearmongering means you live with your head in the sand. The Chinese government is batting so hard for Huawei to even where they threaten other countries for banning the 5g tech.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
You can say "oh every country spies on every country somehow" and sure, they do. But China is at the bottom of any list on countries I wanna just hand my information over to on a platter.

And yeah, they're definitely not interested in me. But I'm not giving them a reason to be. So yeah, fuck Huawei.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine stanning for an authoritariam regime because of a fucking camera. People wonder why conservatism is winning elections around the world: dumbfuckery like this.