• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
No carriers would carry it because they don't want to piss off NSA. ATT carried a few low end prepaid Huawei phones (Ascend XT) and then stop.
Any reason to believe that was at NSA's behest and not due to lack of demand for Huawei in the US market? Chinese manufacturers have typically made up a small portion of marketshare in the US mainly targeting the low end of the market I think. Granted the lack of demand is partially likely because of the recent clashes between US and Huawei.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
While the phone has a much better folded display than Samsung's device, this seems less durable/more likely for the main screen to be damaged or scratched without a really great screen protector/case.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Any reason to believe that was at NSA's behest and not due to lack of demand for Huawei in the US market? Chinese manufacturers have typically made up a small portion of marketshare in the US mainly targeting the low end of the market I think. Granted the lack of demand is partially likely because of the recent clashes between US and Huawei.

Ascend XT series was very popular. I sold mine after a year and still made money. I believe the Max series was also discontinued. Look ATT carry every crap phone from every brand. And you are going to tell me they stop selling Huawei phone because they are not popular? Huawei is going to outsell Samsung phone very soon in the world market.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
How big is it while in phone mode? Looks huge like 6.5" or something.

Phone mode should be smaller and it should fold out with 3 panels for tablet mode.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I like Samsung's model better, having the fold on the outside is just asking for trouble. Though who knows how durable the screens on the foldable devices will even be?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Ascend XT series was very popular. I sold mine after a year and still made money. I believe the Max series was also discontinued. Look ATT carry every crap phone from every brand. And you are going to tell me they stop selling Huawei phone because they are not popular? Huawei is going to outsell Samsung phone very soon in the world market.
Not in the US so can't speak to Huawei's recent growing popularity there but based on market share data they do seem to make up a small portion of the market. Huawei's worldwide sales may eclipse Samsung but that's not indicative of the demand for their product in the US. However if ATT is known to carry smaller brands then you're probably right, it most likely has to do with them covering their bases for any potential future bans or privacy conerns (I still doubt NSA would dictate what phones to carry to ATT - not like their intercept methods are manufacturer specific).

Sheepshakey

Aug 4, 2018
1691fde35874964f7.png

Dat screen....

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think this looks terrible. Samsung, while not as flashy looking, has the better design, imo.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect this is the way future phones will be while Samsung approach is a hang up of what today's manufacturing allows with decent thought to how long such a device should last.

Just need some breakthroughs...

The camera assembly housing the charging port being the handle to hold the device securely seems massively under appreciated.

ps3ud0 8)

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Yeah I'm not sold as of yet. Looks flimsy as hell

That's plastic for you. May be fine on falls but easier to warp, too. It's basically an iPhone 6 in thickness (unfolded) but with a plastic screen instead of rigid glass.

The inside/outside approaches are interesting. Huawei's outside fold means they can control the bend and probably have a better lifetime than Samsung's method...but the downside is you'll be gripping the screen a lot, which has a ton of downside too. I would want an ironclad warranty before trying either of these...

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at where the spine is, right before the section turns on. That looks terrible.

$2,300 lol Samsung has nothing to worry about, yet.
Indeed,

The screen around the hinge looks worn/stretched out already.

There's no way it isn't noticeable while swiping across it.

That's plastic for you. May be fine on falls but easier to warp, too. It's basically an iPhone 6 in thickness (unfolded) but with a plastic screen instead of rigid glass.

The inside/outside approaches are interesting. Huawei's outside fold means they can control the bend and probably have a better lifetime than Samsung's method...but the downside is you'll be gripping the screen a lot, which has a ton of downside too. I would want an ironclad warranty before trying either of these...

I don't know what Samsung or Huawei have learned in terms of build materials but plastic is plastic.

Huawei having the plastic of the screen constantly exposed is going to cause some very rapid deterioration IMO.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nooooooooooope.

Look at that shit!

It's horrible. That user experience is going to be horrible.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I just don't get how these screens can be soft enough to fold, and not get scratched to shit. Especially along the spine (when closed) of the screen.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still looks like ass, but it shits on that Samsung goofiness from a considerable height

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I honestly can't believe people are saying Samsung's fold looks better. I'm not talking about durability we can only speculate on that but this is thinner and has a bigger screen. Huawei has been hitting it out of the ballpark since the Mate 10. I understand my fellow 'Muricans being doubtful about the brand most have never had any exposure to their phones but I love my P20 pro.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't believe people are saying Samsung's fold looks better. I'm not talking about durability we can only speculate on that but this is thinner and has a bigger screen. Huawei has been hitting it out of the ballpark since the Mate 10. I understand my fellow 'Muricans being doubtful about the brand most have never had any exposure to their phones but I love my P20 pro.
Man, I'm sure Samsung could've made their phone look like this,

They're smart and innovative enough to have thought about it.

But look at the pictures of the Huawei above. Sure it LOOKS fine when you can't see the flimsiness of the plastic due to the screen being on.

But when the screen is off, you can see the ridges, stretch lines, bumps, craters and all of that will be what you're feeling under your finger during use. And that will only get worse as the screen is what's going to be directly taking every single knock the phone gets.

IMO, Huawei is trying to sell a headline. A concept that doesn't work properly yet.

Samsung's design may not be the nicest looking, but their attempt is at creating a product that can operate as well as it can with the current tech available, and work reliably.

Huawei's Phone is nicer to look at, but is it anything more than that?

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I think Samsung's approach,design and prices wins out here. Having the screen folded out is a absolute no. Scratches, damages and greasy fingerprints are more prone with the Huawei

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I love this. Its expensive as fuck, but look back at the first bricks in the 80s. It took us 30 years to get where we are, but unlike then to now, it will take things a far shorter amount of time. In 10 years this is going to be the norm, and I couldn't be happier. Having a phone that also has a larger screen built in is futuristic as fuck, and the form factors are gonna be interesting to see.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
That centre fold actually looks flimsy, there's a bit in one of the demo videos where you can see how bad it looks. This won't last.

Whilst the Samsung version has its faults (tiny front screen and camera notch) the fold itself looks excellent. See their most recent showcase video.