• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Honor, a subsidiary of Huawei, has announced the first 48MP smartphone camera.
It uses the latest Sony sensor, the IMX586. It's a massive 1/2inch sensor and has a quad Bayer array for killer low light photography (on a smartphone).
It's also one of the first smartphones to carry the from facing camera cutout.
gsmarena_006.jpg

Picture samples and more in the link below:
https://m.gsmarena.com/honor_teases..._phone_with_an_inscreen_camera-news-34624.php

Nov 30, 2018
With half as many pixels as 12MP phones

So if you're only taking day shots, they'll look good I'm guessing

Don't get this whole "more megapixels!!!"

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
But is the video quality good? My iPhone 8+ can do 4K 60FPS OIS. I'm hoping phones can get to 4K 120FPS at some point.

Last edited:

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
More megapixels doesn't mean a better camera; it just looks good on paper. Will hold out for the real-world tests.
That front-facing cutout is cool though.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Now they'll have the clearest photos of their
CFO in cuffs.

I'll wait for other manufacturers to follow suit and improve their devices instead.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Now they'll have the clearest photos of their
CFO in cuffs.

I'll wait for other manufacturers to follow suit and improve their devices instead.
Yes, I hope others follow suit. I'm done with Huawei personally. My p20 has a killer camera, but it will.be my first and last Huawei Smartphone.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Love the camera cutout (and the strategic picture lol) but raw MPs rarely excite me these days.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, though I guess they can use the increased sensor information to do some software magic I don't know.
That poster doesn't know what he is talking about. The big ass sensor + the quad Bayer array make this one of the best low light cameras, if not the best.
The p20pro and Mate20pro take the best low light pictures in any smartphone (point and shoot, without any night mode).

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform wars.
The better to spy on you with. But yeah, these things run android, so that's going to be a pass for me.

Nov 30, 2018
That poster doesn't know what he is talking about. The big ass sensor + the quad Bayer array make this one of the best low light cameras, if not the best.
The p20pro and Mate20pro take the best low light pictures in any smartphone (point and shoot, without any night mode).

"Make this one of the best"

Where's some non-biased photos from this camera?

Since Huawei and Samsung have already been caught using DSLRS.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Bet you can see all the way to Canada with something like this. Jokes aside, this is impressive. Need to see more though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Not inherently, but as someone who moved from Android to iOS, there's no way I personally am going back even if this is the best phone hardware of all time.
I mean, sure whatever. I went from iOS to android and I'm not going back to iOS, at least for now. But I don't close myself to going back. That's just silly

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform wars.
Ugly phone and getting spied on by China. Plus having to use Android. Ugh, no thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: platform wars
is this the thread where we shitpost? cool.

iphones are overpriced trash. ios is for babies.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
04.jpg

The OG Goat the Lumia 1020. It had a 41MP camera.
Best phone I ever owned. I cried when I shattered the screen. That thing took insane pictures and the camera app is unrivaled to this day. I also really appreciated the dedicated camera shutter button. I know the Windows Phone ecosystem was wanting, but as a camera/web browser/social media device, the Lumia was awesome.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of thread shitting happening here when it doesn't need to be
Those are iOS fanboys, the same who cry when someone says something remotely negative about Apple in Apple threads.
The spy concerns, I get it. But shitting on Android just because? Get out of here

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are iOS fanboys, the same who cry when someone says something remotely negative about Apple in Apple threads.
The spy concerns, I get it. But shitting on Android just because? Get out of here

It's a phone announcement thread, you want to focus on the camera, but we don't have to follow your lead. After seeing the phone, criticizing the company, the OS, the design, etc, are all valid things to say on a thread like this one.

Nice to see shit posting here. And android is an amazing OS, just like iOS.

Yeah I'm not gonna praise an ugly ass phone from a company that is known to include spyware.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
The best part about this thread is that it reminded me of the 1020. I still marvel at the pics I took with that phone. Probably my favorite gadget of all time.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A raw megapixel count in a smartphone is such a useless marketting metric unless it aids in computational photography somehow. Most people's smartphone photos are only ever viewed in a compressed form on either a small screen or on a site like FB/IG. There's a reason manufacturers like Apple and Samsung moved away from putting it front and center in their marketting.

The big news here is the sensor size and the improved DAC it uses courtesy of Sony. They've been knocking it out of the park with their DAC innovations since 2014, this is how they routinely trounce other manufacturers in terms of dynamic range and low ISO signal-noise performance.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
It's a phone announcement thread, you want to focus on the camera, but we don't have to follow your lead. After seeing the phone, criticizing the company, the OS, the design, etc, are all valid things to say on a thread like this one.
The OS is fine. If you want to criticize something, criticize Huawei.
You are trying to convert this into a fucking PHONE WARZ.
Pathetic.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
04.jpg

The OG Goat the Lumia 1020. It had a 41MP camera.
My wife had one of those, and it took amazing photos. But damn, was it S L O W.

After breaking the screen a couple of times, I bought her an iPhone 6S, which she loves, but she kept her habit of deep-zooming photos... which has much less impressive results with that image sensor.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

After breaking the screen a couple of times, I bought her an iPhone 6S, which she loves, but she kept her habit of deep-zooming photos... which has much less impressive results with that image sensor.
Yes, the Lumia 1020 took some amazing shots! Too bad the processing capabilities were not up there.

Feb 1, 2018
A camera is much much more than just megapixels, that race is over and the market leaders are focusing on color accuracy/skintones and low light now, which is what consumers want- more DSLR-looking photos. Also AI-powered DoF gimmicks lol

Theres no point in a 48MP image thats going straight to Instagram or a messaging app and nowhere else.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
A raw megapixel count in a smartphone is such a useless marketting metric unless it aids in computational photography somehow. Most people's smartphone photos are only ever viewed in a compressed form on either a small screen or on a site like FB/IG. There's a reason manufacturers like Apple and Samsung moved away from putting it front and center in their marketting.

The big news here is the sensor size and the improved DAC it uses courtesy of Sony. They've been knocking it out of the park with their DAC innovations since 2014, this is how they routinely trounce other manufacturers in terms of dynamic range and low ISO signal-noise performance.

Yup. The real news is that Sony now has a commercially available sensor that's greater than 40MP for cell phones.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
A camera is much much more than just megapixels, that race is over and the market leaders are focusing on color accuracy/skintones and low light now, which is what consumers want- more DSLR-looking photos. Also AI-powered DoF gimmicks lol

Theres no point in a 48MP image thats going straight to Instagram or a messaging app and nowhere else.
Maybe the point is to replace some bulky cameras? Btw I bet this sensor is killer in low light performance.
Just look what the p20pro did with a 40MP sensor in low light.
Here is the Anandtech review of the p20/pro, the low light photography is just nuts in the p20pro without night mode.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12676/the-huawei-p20-p20-pro-review/8
This was taken by the s9+
S9P_20180613_230931_575px.jpg

This was taken by the p20pro, no night mode.
P20Pro_IMG_20180613_231040_575px.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the point is to replace some bulky cameras? Btw I bet this sensor is killer in low light performance.
Just look what the p20pro did with a 40MP sensor in low light.
Here is the Anandtech review of the p20/pro, the low light photography is just nuts in the p20pro without night mode.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12676/the-huawei-p20-p20-pro-review/8
This was taken by the s9+
S9P_20180613_230931_575px.jpg

This was taken by the p20pro, no night mode.
P20Pro_IMG_20180613_231040_575px.jpg
Wow, that'll make it really easy to keep track of social credit events.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh

Yeah the sensor made the image processing SLOW. This was my Japan photo phone. I also went on a photo shoot with a buddy that's a photographer and he was impressed with a few of my shots.