• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
Can Schulz explain to us why BILLIONAIRES should even exist?

What's the point of them hoarding so much 'means' and 'wealth' that ultimately just sits in a bank account, instead of helping society?

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory commentary and transphobic rhetoric
Funny, I think billionaires should be referred to the guillotine.

Nice way to show ur priorities to what actually matter, trans athlete being able to compete in female olimpics is something that has to be defended at all costs and there's no grey area in there (conflicting interests between two minorities), but be wary of actually advocating for the change we need to end inequality and the abuse of the masses, it wouldn't look decent to our patreons, we'll have to sanction this commenti.

The textbook definition of borgeuoise left.

Oct 26, 2017
Nice way to show ur priorities to what actually matter, trans athlete being able to compete in female olimpics is something that has to be defended at all costs and there's no grey area in there (conflicting interests between two minorities), but be wary of actually advocating for the change we need to end inequality and the abuse of the masses, it wouldn't look decent to our patreons, we'll have to sanction this commenti.

What in the fuck?

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
What a dipshit.

The fuck is this?
Lol at the idea of being outraged by that comment, while billionaires cause an immense amount of deaths each and every year just to save a few bucks on their tax bill. It's a perfect example of what's wrong with our political discourse: killing people is fine, but only if you do it while being polite. So a guillotine is bad, because it's so en public and messy, but buying patents for medicine and hiking the price 6000%? Absolutely fine and cool and good.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Lol at the idea of being outraged by that comment, while billionaires cause an immense amount of deaths each and every year. It's a perfect example of what's wrong with our political discourse: killing people is fine, but only if you do it while being polite. So a guillotine is bad, but buying patents for medicine and hiking the price 6000%? Absolutely fine and cool and good.

Thoughts like that aren't mutually exclusive, I don't think anyone in this forum agree with the latter. However, dehumanising people because you want them dead is ghoulish. How are you any better than they are when you support opinions like that? We should be better than that. We sternly call out Republicans when they do that to minorities and vulnerable people, but you're ok following that mindset if they are your preferred target.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lmao I can't believe this is a real post

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Confiscate their money and assume their role in the industries. Give them a couple of million as a compensation and relocate them to a new neighborhood, like they still do with poor people when they want to make them move for whatever reason (no monetary compensation though...i wonder why). 26 billionaires for the sake of a much better world.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts like that aren't mutually exclusive, I don't think anyone in this forum agree with the latter. However, dehumanising people because you want them dead is ghoulish. How are you any better than they are when you support opinions like that? We should be better than that. We sternly call out Republicans when they do that to minorities and vulnerable people, but you're ok following that mindset if they are your preferred target.

"If you attack a nazi, how are you any better than a nazi?"
-Enlightened Centrist

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

I thought we defend the minorities and vulnerable people because they just want to survive and aren't causing any real trouble. The 'people of means' want to, and are successfully, robbing the world blind of resources and equality. I don't believe them to really be equivalent positions.

I don't think many of us would defend other serious criminals in the way the 'people of means' get defended.

Oct 27, 2017
dDvgKHd.gif

That first post fire; undeserved warning bro, but hey at least they're no longer outright banning people.

I don't understand the caping that goes on here for the privileged "people of means or wealth" . These people are already at war with you, if you're not in their income bracket they don't care about you. You're a tool they can abuse to generate more wealth and that is the only purpose you serve to them.

They routinely commit brutal acts of atrocity that would leave the guillotine looking merciful by comparison. White collar genocide is directly responsibly for the death of literal billions but trickle down systemic violence is accepted. We give "people of means" special titles like philanthropist when they try to dodge taxes by spending a fraction of their ill gotten gains for the betterment of their fellow man - meanwhile conveniently ignoring that they're the ones responsible for the suffering their fellow man is enduring. "People of means" hide behind an imaginary diffuseness of responsibility (the corporation) and will point blame at the system when they're the ones who have engineered and are profiting of this system of misery and suffering.

So excuse me if I find it hard to get offended when someone uses historical imagery to get their point across that enough is enough. Nobody is actually rolling guillotines down wallstreet (nobody ever will) and to act like referencing a guillotine is inciting real violence is being purposefully dense.
Do I actually want to behead these people?
No.
Do I want to forcefully and systematically call for the dissolution of a system that allows these "people of means" to commit unfettered genocide?
Yes.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Howard is a PoC.

Person of Capital.

Why are you all so jealous and racist? Why can't you let PoC(people of capital) like Howard live their best life until we all die from boiling sea water and catastrophic climate change.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
"If you attack a nazi, how are you any better than a nazi?"
-Enlightened Centrist

This isn't refuting what I'm saying, it's confirming it.

I thought we defend the minorities and vulnerable people because they just want to survive and aren't causing any real trouble. The 'people of means' want to, and are successfully, robbing the world blind of resources and equality. I don't believe them to really be equivalent positions.

I don't think many of us would defend other serious criminals in the way the 'people of means' get defended.

They're still people. That's justification for hurting and dehumanising them, and for what? If anyone's an acceptable target let's get them? Forget the law, or ethics or what it means to be human just kill 'em all and let God sort them out. How is that any different from what Republicans do? You're not defending minorities here, you're advocating execution of those who you dislike. It's a revenge fantasy, an unhealthy one. I agree they should pay for what they have done, but we need justice - not the Punisher.

I mean i dont advocate for the deaths of anyone. I would rather reform over revolt.

But people are getting desperate. The gutting of the middle class and the lowering standards of the working class throughout the western world due to income inequality is starting to push people, hence the extreme politics we are seeing.

The rich in our countries profit off of the exploitation of the poor, whether than be through abhorrent working conditions, super low pay that doesn't allow someone to live comfortably despite working 40hr+ a week , the siphoning of money from people that have no choice that we see in the US health industry, people dying because they cant afford basic medicine due to medical patents , the slow destruction of our planet due to climate change and the abuse and exploitation of sweatshops in other countries, yes that last point does "reduce poverty" but it is still taking advantage of the relative living conditions compared to western countries "well they are better than they were" (but still not comfortable).

At the end of the day if the rich do not solve these problems the people will eventually revolt and then what is a couple of hundred heads compared to the hundreds of thousands (potentially millions at the point of revolution) of deaths at the result of capitalism?

I'm glad we have some common ground here. I know all this, and agree with your summary.

People who are desperate don't think clearly, can be irrational and make bad decisions. It's not an excuse to hurt people, however.

While it's true that may happen given what world we live in and the context for how the wealthy are protected things would have to change massively for this to become the slightest bit realistic, that's how protected the wealthy are. Even if I agreed, the system is so stacked against the poor and oppressed the chances are they'd just end up getting slaughtered than making any real difference. Not all revolts in history end up being the victors, or get the results they expected, see the Reign of Terror.

Frustration, stress, pain and wanting to lash out at your oppressors is understandable. Believing that's all it takes to destroy the rich and it'll be tied up in a little bow is not, people are vastly underestimating how secure they are and the initiave the average person has to get their hands dirty on a large scale. America's government was shut down for a few weeks and nothing like that occurred on any scale. This isn't simply about motive, motive counts for nothing if you're unable to get the results you want - which are not guaranteed.

Last edited:

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019
I don't understand the caping that goes on here for the privileged "people of means or wealth" . These people are already at war with you, if you're not in their income bracket they don't care about you. You're a tool they can abuse to generate more wealth and that is the only purpose you serve to them.

They routinely commit brutal acts of atrocity that would leave the guillotine looking merciful by comparison. White collar genocide is directly responsibly for the death of literal billions but trickle down systemic violence is accepted. We give "people of means" special titles like philanthropist when they try to dodge taxes by spending a fraction of their ill gotten gains for the betterment of their fellow man - meanwhile conveniently ignoring that they're the ones responsible for the suffering their fellow man is enduring. "People of means" hide behind an imaginary diffuseness of responsibility (the corporation) and will point blame at the system when they're the ones who have engineered and are profiting of this system of misery and suffering.

So excuse me if I find it hard to get offended when someone uses historical imagery to get their point across that enough is enough. Nobody is actually rolling guillotines down wallstreet (nobody ever will) and to act like referencing a guillotine is inciting real violence is being purposefully dense.
Do I actually want to behead these people?
No.
Do I want to forcefully and systematically call for the dissolution of a system that allows these "people of means" to commit unfettered genocide?
Yes.

Yeah cause your Jeff Bezos', Bill Gates and that nerd Mark Zuckerberg are sitting there trying to plot ways to make you feel miserable and are responsible for genocide, at best you could accuse some of them (Bezos) of creating stressful work environments and/or paying min-wage for his factory workers.

Buzzman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are rapidly calling for more extreme measures, because nothing else works. Haven't we been trying to make them pay their fair share? When the entire system is bought by the rich, there is no other option but to destroy the whole rotten structure.
They forced us to this. If they at any point accepted their role, and not tried to abuse, lie, and cheat people we could've had a normal discussion about this. But they're actively refusing, using loopholes and tax havens to avoid paying their fair share.
When you don't give any other option for people, they will eventually resort to violence. Let's hope the rich will come to their senses before that.

They're still people. That's justification for hurting and dehumanising them, and for what? If anyone's an acceptable target let's get them? Forget the law, or ethics or what it means to be human just kill 'em all and let God sort them out. How is that any different from what Republicans do? You're not defending minorities here, you're advocating execution of those who you dislike. It's a revenge fantasy, an unhealthy one. I agree they should pay for what they have done, but we need justice - not the Punisher.
People don't care about laws because the LAWS AREN'T FUCKING WORKING. How many people go to jail for "accidentally" foreclosing homes, ruining entire families? How many people go to jail for predatory lending? Causing a fucking market crash? Raising prices on life-saving medicine that people can't afford anymore?
How about we apply the law to those kinds of actions.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah cause your Jeff Bezos', Bill Gates and that nerd Mark Zuckerberg are sitting there trying to plot ways to make you feel miserable and are responsible for genocide, at best you could accuse some of them (Bezos) of creating stressful work environments and/or paying min-wage for his factory workers.

First of all the "people of means" class is bigger than these 3 tech billionaires you mentioned. And secondly yeah because Jeff Pesos, and that nerd Mark Cuckerberg are sitting there trying to plot ways to create optimal revenue and wealth growth for their companies and persons and are necessarily disenfranchising millions in the process. That's how wealth generation works, you take from the poor and working and add it to your bank account.

And when you use corporate finagling and angling to get 10 billion dollar tax cuts in a country without socialized healthcare while you're the richest man on the planet that seems like pretty fucking shitty behaviour to me. But keep caping my bro the deaths are sure to trickle down far enough eventually that you'll pick up on it too.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
People are rapidly calling for more extreme measures, because nothing else works. Haven't we been trying to make them pay their fair share? When the entire system is bought by the rich, there is no other option but to destroy the whole rotten structure.
They forced us to this. If they at any point accepted their role, and not tried to abuse, lie, and cheat people we could've had a normal discussion about this. But they're actively refusing, using loopholes and tax havens to avoid paying their fair share.
When you don't give any other option for people, they will eventually resort to violence. Let's hope the rich will come to their senses before that.

There is no "this." You're not speaking to any movement operating in America at the moment. For a movement to do things require it to exist. There is no equivalent to the Yellow Vests in America. The longest shut down in history didn't get so much a big protest. You're underestimating how passive the populace is and overestimating how far they'd go to put their lives on the line for causes like this.

edit: I'll amend that, there were protests by government employees. However, they were nothing like what you're suggesting like a Yellow Vest movement.

People don't care about laws because the LAWS AREN'T FUCKING WORKING. How many people go to jail for "accidentally" foreclosing homes, ruining entire families? How many people go to jail for predatory lending? Causing a fucking market crash? Raising prices on life-saving medicine that people can't afford anymore?
How about we apply the law to those kinds of actions.

Of course I'd love to do all of that. This isn't zero sum, just because I disagree with some things you say isn't a sign I disagree with every opinion you have.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Nicole Smith-Holt, of Richfield, Minnesota, lost her son Alec to ketosis because she said he couldn't afford the insulin he needed to treat his diabetes. He died alone in his apartment, three days before payday. Smith-Holt said he was likely rationing his insulin so it would last until his next check, but when he was found, his insulin pen was empty.

---

With the nation in the grip of an opioid epidemic that has claimed more than 200,000 lives, the U.S. medical establishment is turning away from painkillers. Top health officials are discouraging primary care doctors from prescribing them for chronic pain, saying there is no proof they work long-term and substantial evidence they put patients at risk.

Prescriptions for OxyContin have fallen nearly 40% since 2010, meaning billions in lost revenue for its Connecticut manufacturer, Purdue Pharma.

So the company's owners, the Sackler family, are pursuing a new strategy: Put the painkiller that set off the U.S. opioid crisis into medicine cabinets around the world.

A network of international companies owned by the family is moving rapidly into Latin America, Asia, the Middle East, Africa and other regions, and pushing for broad use of painkillers in places ill-prepared to deal with the ravages of opioid abuse and addiction.

---

GENEVA (Reuters) - U.N. human rights experts investigating a possible genocide in Myanmar said on Monday that Facebook had played a role in spreading hate speech there.

More than 650,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled Myanmar's Rakhine state into Bangladesh since insurgent attacks sparked a security crackdown last August. Many have provided harrowing testimonies of executions and rapes by Myanmar security forces.

The U.N. human rights chief said last week he strongly suspected acts of genocide had taken place. Myanmar's national security adviser demanded "clear evidence".

Marzuki Darusman, chairman of the U.N. Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Myanmar, told reporters that social media had played a "determining role" in Myanmar.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK NOW I get it. Sweet ass troll. This is the kind of stunt I would pull if I were a billionaire. Refer to myself as an oppressed class. Eventually I'd end my stint of stunts, with a Simpsons gif or a firework display that said "T.R.O.L.L.E.D. U.!"
He didn't do anything like that? You're usually a pretty astute poster - did you bother to even watch before typing this?
Can Schulz explain to us why BILLIONAIRES should even exist?

What's the point of them hoarding so much 'means' and 'wealth' that ultimately just sits in a bank account, instead of helping society?
You appear to have a deep knowledge of what happens to money when it's in a bank account. Tell us more.

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019
First of all the "people of means" class is bigger than these 3 tech billionaires you mentioned. And secondly yeah because Jeff Pesos, and that nerd Mark Cuckerberg are sitting there trying to plot ways to create optimal revenue and wealth growth for their companies and persons and are necessarily disenfranchising millions in the process.

Yea, that's the point of owning a company. That doesn't necessarily disenfranchise millions however.

That's how wealth generation works, you take from the poor and working and add it to your bank account.
They also provide jobs for thousands, and owe nobody anything. What do you mean take from the poor, as in - from their employees?

And when you use corporate finagling and angling to get 10 billion dollar tax cuts in a country without socialized healthcare while you're the richest man on the planet that seems like pretty fucking shitty behaviour to me. But keep caping my bro the deaths are sure to trickle down far enough eventually that you'll pick up on it too.

Yea that is shitty I'll agree on that, but don't call me bro that's weird.

The amount of tax you're avoiding vs the amount of tax they're avoiding are on such different scales as to be almost incomparable

Same for the amount they pay and the amount I pay.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I live check to check. I'd love to be a billionaire. Not sure why he wants to call it something else, it's not like anyone would hurl Billionaire!! in a fight.

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019
GENEVA (Reuters) - U.N. human rights experts investigating a possible genocide in Myanmar said on Monday that Facebook had played a role in spreading hate speech there.

More than 650,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled Myanmar's Rakhine state into Bangladesh since insurgent attacks sparked a security crackdown last August. Many have provided harrowing testimonies of executions and rapes by Myanmar security forces.

The U.N. human rights chief said last week he strongly suspected acts of genocide had taken place. Myanmar's national security adviser demanded "clear evidence".

Marzuki Darusman, chairman of the U.N. Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Myanmar, told reporters that social media had played a "determining role" in Myanmar.

Isn't this sort of like blaming the car manufacturer when someone gets ran over as opposed to the person behind the wheel?

Buzzman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
They also provide jobs for thousands, and owe nobody anything. What do you mean take from the poor, as in - from their employees?

Do you think those jobs would disappear if the billionaire CEO vanished or stopped stockpiling money he and his children and their children can never spend anyway.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Cartoonishly out of touch, but then again so is Trump. The only thing Schultz doesn't seem to have is the idiot-powered reality distortion field, so hopefully we're safe from this bozo greasing his way into the White House.

Deleted member 33597

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This post makes a very good point: there's is absolutely no reason for anyone to have that much money. None. They will never be able to spend it all and them having that much is an outright detriment to the rest of the world. A hundred million dollars really ought to be the hard cap for an individual's wealth, and even that is super generous. Once you blow past that it'd better go into something useful for the world and not just invested so you can make even more money at the expense of everyone else.

e: Not that I think the answer is to start killing people but it's a funny way of pointing out how insane it is we even have a word for a person whose net worth is over a billion dollars. It's just absurd.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are these mega wealthy people sweating all of a sudden? Didn't they just get their huge tax cut back in 2017? Isn't the Trump admin gutting regulations left and right? Isn't the Supreme Court locked up in their favor for the foreseeable future?

Regardless of how desperately the conservatives try to stem the flow of progress, they can't really do it for long.They won't be able to protect their billionaire buddies forever, y'know? They're probably quite concerned that the new wave of politicians won't be so easily bought and that the public believes less and less in "trickle down" economics each year and other bullshit spread to placate the poor and fool them into believing that rich people should get richer because it benefits everyone.

They sit there in their ivory towers, claiming only they know how much of their money should go to good causes and only they know which causes are worthy of support, but that'll all change one day. And when it does, chunks of all that money they have that just sits there and does nothing will be put to use and they'll hate losing every penny of it.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There were reports that said that the dude was legit shook at all the shit he was getting which tells me he's not going to actually run. An ego trip run doesn't really work if everyone's consistency dunking on you all the time.

When the only people you come in contact with are the rich and wealthy, one could imagine why he felt so shook. Dude never came out of his tiny bubble and probably really thought that what he is advocating is what the people want

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this sort of like blaming the car manufacturer when someone gets ran over as opposed to the person behind the wheel?
Only if the car manufacturer had a control module in the car that would have let them stop or at least slow down the car, was notified that someone was looking to try running someone over with said car, then watched them stomp down on the gas as they ran straight over someone.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, that's the point of owning a company. That doesn't necessarily disenfranchise millions however.
Except that it does.
They take from their employees the value of their production while paying them miniscule fractions of its worth. They take from regular citizens the tax dollars they avoid and tax cuts they receive. They take from the poor everything they can because they are unable to defend themselves. They provide very little but will walk away with the majority of the benefit.

Yea that is shitty I'll agree on that, but don't call me bro that's weird.
I didn't check your profile to see your gender - I won't call you bro anymore but I meant nothing by it. I call everyone bro because I'm linguistically stuck in the early 2000's, but I apologize.
Same for the amount they pay and the amount I pay.
You're delusional if you think you're capable of dodging taxes the way "people of means" can. You don't have access to even a miniscule fraction of the structures and system they employ to avoid having to contribute a significant percentage of their wealth. They are shifting literal trillions into offshore tax havens using mechanics and loopholes so complex you need teams of lawyers and accountants to understand the depths of their fraud. You say they pay more but relatively speaking they often pay far less when seen as a percentage of their total income. And in some cases if they structure their assets correctly they can pay less tax than you do. Warren Buffet pays less tax than his secretary.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Rupert Murdoch: Fox News, WSJ, NYPost, The Sun
Jonathan Harmsworth: Daily Mail, Metro
The Smith Family: Sinclair Media Group

These poor billionaires with no way to speak for themselves.

Last edited: