• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I love the Mega Man/X series...the "flow" is pretty predictable and dare I say outdated. I was thinking for today's standards (and to further get more bank for your buck) that the series could use a little sprucing up without really messing with the overall fundamentals. Here's what I personally came up with:

- Make Maverick boss stages longer or add stages in between with their own bosses. Typically you'd just go through the stage, fight the sub-boss, then the Maverick, collect your weapon, and dip. Adding extra stages in between encounters or making the stage longer in general would help fill the game out and give the devs an opportunity to play around more with stage design, mini bosses and etc.

- Add a "evolution" element to the Mavericks themselves. Instead of giving them ONE set weakness, randomize it each playthrough. Introduce the idea into the game as part of the lore or story along the lines of "Reploid evolution/adaptation". It could also work like this....you fight the Maverick boss, and hit it with its weakness a few times. The Maverick itself will evolve during battle and display NEW attacks and patterns and change its weakness. Kinda turn it into a "boss phase" kinda thing. If you happen to NOT have its weakness then the battle would proceed on as normal. Hitting it with its weakness will make the battle harder to offset the added damage you are now dishing out.

- Add more Maverick's instead of just the 8, go for 16. Inspired by Mega Man 8, you could fight the first 8, then the last 8 will open up. Once again this will add more to the game, especially if you factor in the stuff I mentioned up above.

- Make defeating Mavericks have an effect on the other Maverick stages or fights. This kinda was touched on in Mega Man X where if you went for example to Spark Mandrill's stage after beating Storm Eagle, you'll have noticed that the plane crashed into the stage, damaging the power which meant that some of the stage's hazards were disabled. Battle wise, perhaps certain Mavericks share a connection like originally being from the same unit or being comrades in arms....when one is defeated right before you storm the lair of the other, the encounter with his comrade will start the battle off with different dialogue, ending with him in a different phase or perhaps enraged, gaining access to stronger base attacks or adding a new attack or "desperation ability"

These are just a few ideas I came up with. What about you?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Bring back the concept/demo from Armature, make it a first person shooter with some platforming and stylish action game elements. Total reboot/reimagining.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
As far as the games go, I would reduce it back to five games (and take elements & incorporate characters and story beats from the later games) and take a page from the first MMX where defeating the Maverick bosses can change the layout of other boss areas (and not always to the benefit of the player).

This is X's story, so why don't we focus on him and have Zero be a supporting side character (and Zero only gets his own story mode until you fully complete all five games).

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Focus on gameplay. Reboot the story and make it minimal. Like the first 3.

Most importantly, release a damn game.

I wouldn't even mind some remakes. Just give us something. Also keep it 2d. This franchise does not need a metroid prime treatment.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
ignore stuff past MMX3 or X4 and all of the shitty friends. MMX5 and beyond was all a dream or something

a la MM11 just do "another one" but feel free to add some crazy new mechanic if it's good

i have neat ideas for MM in general that IMO would make it sell but as for MMX9 just keep it simple.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Mega Man X9

Using SNES or PSX era sprites

X, Zero, and Axl all playable

No gimmicks, story that is a clean slate of the 3 characters fighting not sigma SURPRISE it's sigma

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
The first Mega Man X is basically a perfect game. Always fun to play. Looks good. Well designed levels & enemies.
If anything I'd like to see a new Mega Man X game try to simplify the formula & bring it back to the flow & action of the first game.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Not having Sigma as the final boss for every game--for starters.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
- Avoid stun lock weaknesses. I dislike when the enemy weaknesses simply stun the boss and take off huge chunks of health. I prefer when weaknesses work against bosses because their function is helpful for a particular phase or attack of the boss. Like the boss jumps at awkward angles and your weapon just so happens to shoot at an angle making it easier to hit them effectively. Stuff like that.

- Integrate the weapon wheel for switching weapons like in Megaman 11. One of the biggest reasons people tend not to experiment with X's weapons is because cycling through them all is a hassle.

- I am torn on backtracking. On one hand it can be cool to go through an old level with new powers and different characters but ideally if you plan well enough I think you should be able to have an ideal path that minimizes on backtracking as much as possible. So don't do any X3 shit where you are basically demanded to go through every level 100 times.

I don't think any like genre changes are needed or anything. The genre and franchise still has its place in the modern world.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Bring back the concept/demo from Armature, make it a first person shooter with some platforming and stylish action game elements. Total reboot/reimagining.
Unironically this. It got a lot of hate when it leaked because it had a bad art style imo.
Go with something more like the truforce designs.
latest

I think Mega Man classic has gotten a few different reboots now, MMBN was a great one, I'd love for a re-imagining of X that took it's characters and went grittier with it.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm alone but I loved Command Mission. I'd like to see smth like this again.

draculabyte

Video Game and Metal Mashup Shirt Design
Verified
Jun 20, 2019
3D with some of the grid 80's retro designs thrown in. Not overly simplified but part Vanquish and Zone of the Enders on land.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, I feel that would be more of another new Megaman sub-series.

I lean more towards this:

ignore stuff past MMX3 or X4 and all of the shitty friends. MMX5 and beyond was all a dream or something

a la MM11 just do "another one" but feel free to add some crazy new mechanic if it's good

i have neat ideas for MM in general that IMO would make it sell but as for MMX9 in general just keep it simple.

Basically the MM11 equivalent for the X series. If they want to get more experimental I feel that works better once they've done 'just' a really good modern entry in each series.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
make X9 have a Super Nintendo retro art style, bring some sort of X version of Bass and the MMX style of gameplay where your choices can end up having moderate effects on the levels you choose

X10 can have a PlayStation retro art style, make it very dynamic and MMZ-ish

freshyk

Jan 15, 2020
A major update in visual presentation is needed, including smooth and fast animations. Something like using the Unreal engine like Guilty Gears is doing. Something fast and unrelenting. I can picture it in my head but I can't describe it.

I also want a new Strider Hiryu game.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Make a new game. That might work.

Seriously tho, it might be time for Mega Man Legends X. Take some elements from the MMX series but build a new legacy with a modern 3D game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metroidvania where boss skills give you new traversal options.

A bit more of an in-depth story regarding 21XX society.

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'd just like the MM11 equivalent for the X series, for starters.

I'm sure most people don't care about the story, but I think the story for a hypothetical X9 could be really cool, especially if they explored the connection to the original series more, like what went down with Zero after Wily created him. Wily created Zero to beat the original Mega Man, so they could have a stage where you play as Zero that ends with the original Mega Man as a boss fight.

Last edited:

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
The X series having a story and a recurring cast is why a lot of people love it. Excising everything of that nature just to the bare essentials would make it barely distinguishable in terms of overall storytelling to the Classic series.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying for years that they should make a third person co-op action game with X and Zero. X is high speed third person shooter, (think Vanquish), Zero is basically Raiden from Rising, they can combine tactics and attacks and have to work together to defeat certain enemies. For example, firing a charge shot at Zero with X to be deflected towards the boss at higher power and speeds. I don't have the motivation or the inclination to write much more about it right now, but it's flabbergasting to me that Capcom hasn't thought of this. It could very readily be the best character action game of all time if they gave the mechanics the love they deserve.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
IS it predictable? All the later games started doing some weird stuff.

I'd just carry on past MMX3 story and gameplay wise and pretend the other games didn't happen personally. There was a weird tone change from X3 to X4 and the quality started dropping off. Don't think the core game needs any changes, just make good ones. I really enjoyed the tweak in X3 where you did a bit more exploration, but the larger stages were a bit empty.

Also have good boss patterns that can't be cheesed so easily. that was a constant issue in MMX games. X3 & 4 were really bad for that iirc.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The core 2D action gameplay is solid. I don't feel like they should change a lot there. One thing I'm worried about is that there are so many 2D action games these days, and in particular ones that take inspiration from Mega Man, so they need something to stand out. And I think that could be leaning more into the story. The Mega Man franchise lore is really cool, especially the way the different series tie together, so if they go in on that it would be great. I'd like to see significant story developments during every level, not just at a few sparse points.

Also this might be asking for a lot but I kind of feel like... the games just need to be about twice as long. I'm imagining something like you beat the 8 main stages and then surprise twist, there is another 8 stages. They can reuse assets, maybe you revisit the same areas, but the level layouts would be completely different. And there would be more opportunity to go deeper in the story.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
The core 2D action gameplay is solid. I don't feel like they should change a lot there. One thing I'm worried about is that there are so many 2D action games these days, and in particular ones that take inspiration from Mega Man, so they need something to stand out. And I think that could be leaning more into the story. The Mega Man franchise lore is really cool, especially the way the different series tie together, so if they go in on that it would be great. I'd like to see significant story developments during every level, not just at a few sparse points.

Also this might be asking for a lot but I kind of feel like... the games just need to be about twice as long. I'm imagining something like you beat the 8 main stages and then surprise twist, there is another 8 stages. They can reuse assets, maybe you revisit the same areas, but the level layouts would be completely different. And there would be more opportunity to go deeper in the story.
Thats one of the things I mentioned in the OP

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remake MMX, make it a third person semi open world in terms of Souls layout and link all the robot masters into different regions.

cyrix

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda disagree with the majority of the first three points:

The longer stages and more mavericks just amount to padding and the somewhat compact/focused nature of both the MM and MMX games is very much part of the appeal. just making them twice as long, even if the content is the same quality, doesn't make them better.

The boss evolution thing has the seed of an idea in it, but making the boss counter their weakness if you use it kinda defeats the point of having weakness at all... Imagine being a first time player, discovering you found the bosses "weakness" and it just changes to counter it.
This might work as like a new game plus kinda thing though.

stage evolution based on defeated mavericks... YES!!!! This is a concept that they never should have dropped! you could do so much with it! entire sections of levels that only appear in certain versions of the stage, different mid bosses, new or removed obstacles, secrets, easter eggs, you name it basically.

on the idea of added length or difficulty, perhaps take a cue from say BotW and let you go for the final stage at any time, but without the boss powers, armors, special weapons, etc from the stages it will be exceedingly difficult. Maybe instead of having to kill the mavericks, we actually cure them, and each one helps during the final stages somehow.

Also If this isn't a reboot of some kinda I really have to disagree with people saying to forget half the games and dropping axl, X7 was very bad not denying that at all, but Axl is AT LEAST a good way to have a third play style and he is considerably better in the other games he appeared in.

Oh and pull WAY back on the horny ass female reploid designs. PLEASE.