• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you rate 2020

• Worst year of my life!

Votes: 205 19.6%
  • Pretty bad

Votes: 452 43.2%
  • Not so good

Votes: 158 15.1%
  • Average

Votes: 57 5.4%
  • Quite ok

Votes: 69 6.6%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • Best year of my life!

Votes: 30 2.9%

• Total voters

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
In hindsight it turned out ok for me but during the first lockdown we had, I was a bit stressed due to not knowing where money would come from until our Government (Australian) started paying us to stay home with the JobKeeper program.

I'm a bit annoyed I can't go overseas for a while too (first world problems I know)

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
This year sucked for the world as a whole, but with quarantining and no eating out or going on vacation, my wife and I saved up enough to build a house next year. Teleworking has made me even more productive at work and I've had a lot more free time to work on my piano repertoire. I also got into grad school and finished my first semester. I feel kind of guilty that we are thriving while in the midst of a humanitarian crisis, but I guess we were able to make lemonade out of lemons.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Dog died, lost the best relationship of my life, lost my job, likely lost my career, still living with parents at 28, constant anxiety and depression thinking about the future, movie theaters were my safe place and they're likely gone for good

I went through a pretty depressing time back in 2016 and if not for the mental muscle I built up from that, Idk if I'd have made it through this year. Easily the worst year of my life.

Plus side: I released a game this year, had a lot of downtime this year to catch up on games as well, and I've enrolled back in school to pursue my bachelors.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
It was eye opening and incredibly frustrating but I think ultimately beneficial to the human experience.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
The year started rough for me as I was recovering from a bad break up. But January/Feb I pulled myself together, hit the gym hard and looked the best I had in years. By the time I was ready to date in March the pandemic hit. So there went my social life and friend circle. I was furloughed from work until July. Things started to look up a bit, but working restaurant industry during a pandemic with owners that were pressuring the staff to make up the losses from earlier in the year it became very stressful and toxic to work there but I soldiered on. Fast forward to November's second wave lockdown and I was permanently laid off. First time in my life I've been without work and with the job market shutdown there isn't much out there minus cannabis stores. Still no love life. No work. No gym. No friend circle: it all finnally hit me. And I cracked.
Depresson, apathy, low self worth and doubt has clouded my every pore. It's in my bones.

I checked in with my doctor and I'm back on anti depressions, and I'm back to seeing a therapist weekly to help me out of this funk because most days the dark inner demons are so loud I barely get out of bed. This has put a strain on my home life and my roomate can barely tolerate me and suggested I maybe move out in the spring as my low mood is effecting her.

So here I welcome 2021: no job, losing my physical health, mental health at a fragilestate, no romance or sex life, no friends, and now possibly no home. It's legit a bad year.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The beginning of the year was a continuation of 2019 where I was on the edge financially - being the only one working in a household of 4 is tough.

Thankfully the 2nd half of the year was better as my wife was able to start working and that helped a ton as we were able to curb a lot of the debt we had (most of which were inherited by what my parents did...)

Hopefully things get better in general for the world in 2021....

Our goals for 2021 include

-Buying a new car
-Refinancing our home
-Expanding our family with children
-Curb the rest of the credit debt we have (which at the rate we are going now, should be all gone by mid year).

My personal goal is to lose weight as I gained a few pounds the last few months.....damn Holidays.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The ratings ... are we talking personally? Because financially I had a fantastic year. Anyone with money in the market probably killed it this year unless you were heavily invested in ..... Oil, Airlines and like, movie theatres. But the gains this year were comical considering the Pandemic. And in terms of our career, things were fine and we did great. But people around us, both family and friends were torn to fucking shreds by issues with jobs/relationships stemming from the pandemic and more so...

I consider it a fucking terrible year perhaps second only to that 2008'ish crash. But how it affected everyone else weighs on how I rank the year, not just our personal fortunes.

Last edited:

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
It was okay personally for me all things considered. Got engaged and got a sweet work from home setup. But it was a miserable year for the world as a whole and one I'm happy to see the end of.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Pros:
Bought a house with my girlfriend
Major promotion at work and huge career wise overall for me, just 3 years into my current IT career path.
Had a fun time doing the things I was actually able to do. Highlight was going to AEW Revolution right before covid got bad.

cons:
Covid, obviously. I got covid (minor case luckily), my grandma died from covid, and not seeing friends much was awful.
My job role means I can't 100% work from home always
summer just felt largely like a miss. It should have been amazing and instead it just felt kinda melancholy.

I am looking forward to next year where hopefully work growth will continue, and I'll get vaccinated and have a relatively normal and fun summer filled with friends and fun events even if smaller scale than "normal". Just being stuck home has been brutal despite being busy with moving.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Covid has decimated my mental health, completely in shambles

Yet still not the worst

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Voted not so good. I was fortunate to avoid catching COVID-19, and I did OK financially.

But it was super stressful all-around. I haven't really had any good years at all, so this isn't significantly worse than usual for me.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Being stuck in the house for the majority of the year with 3 little kids was an absolute nightmare. My health deteriorated due to concerns with going to the gym. No traveling, no going out, no social life...

Second worst year of my entire life, particularly mentally.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was OK to good for me. I landed a really good job for my area, but I'm still not sure I'd wanna do the job long-term. Outside of the stress of bringing the virus home to my mom and grandma, it's more or less been business as usual for me. I did have a few big expenses this year that I wished I didn't have, but I can't complain when so many faced much worse.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was lucky enough to be able to work through all of this. My worst year remains when I was unemployed.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fucking bad. I won't get into it but this is definitely in the running for my worst year ever. Like top 3 bad years and it's giving the other 2 bad years stiff competition.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck at some of these answers. You have to be an absolute sociopath and have no empathy whatsoever to answer to vote for some of these. Looks like there are a lot of you, too.

I don't care if you won the lottery. Hundreds of thousands of people died.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are saying 2020 was pretty good - but I'm the crazy one.

My issue is with 'Pretty good' and 'Best year of my life!' being voted for options.
why do you say "some of you"??? why are you putting yourself on a different plane?

you can see my post a couple posts back. you could probably guess what I voted for.

I don't have an issue with people having better 2020s than me. I don't want them to have the same 2020 as me, and I'm glad they didn't.

If everyone had the same 2020 as me I'd be really fucking bummed.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
why do you say "some of you"??? why are you putting yourself on a different plane?

you can see my post a couple posts back. you could probably guess what I voted for.

I don't have an issue with people having better 2020s than me. I don't want them to have the same 2020 as me, and I'm glad they didn't.

If everyone had the same 2020 as me I'd be really fucking bummed.

I'm saying 'some of you' because I'm just speaking to the 100 or so people that voted for 'Pretty good' and 'Best year of my life!'.

I'm saying that's in bad taste and whoever voted for it should probably do some self reflecting.

Like I said, even if you won the lottery - this ain't a pretty good year. Unless you have no empathy or care for what goes on beyond your own life. (Probably a healthy attitude to have though)

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Cons : Losing my second job, the Coronavirus, cancelling a Japan trip, having a bunch of money stolen off me, dog of 18 years dying, losing 3 good friends who turned on me, being stuck in the middle of nowhere for a long period of time.

Pros : Finished an Advanced Degree, Trump is getting removed, I'm not dead.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying 'some of you' because I'm just speaking to the 100 or so people that voted for 'Pretty good' and 'Best year of my life!'.

I'm saying that's in bad taste and whoever voted for it should probably do some self reflecting.

Like I said, even if you won the lottery - this ain't a pretty good year. Unless you have no empathy or care for what goes on beyond your own life. (Probably a healthy attitude to have though)
I think the problem is the thread title is very broad and the poll questions are very personal. 2020 can be a shit year but there are people who can still have a good 2020. Which is why I'm not gonna be angry at people voting for that. 2020 is objectively a terrible year for humanity, but I don't doubt that this year could have been good for some people, and there's nothing wrong with that (unless you're a billionaire or corporation that has benefited off exploiting labor during this pandemic) .

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the problem is the thread title is very broad and the poll questions are very personal. 2020 can be a shit year but there are people who can still have a good 2020. Which is why I'm not gonna be angry at people voting for that. 2020 is objectively a terrible year for humanity, but I don't doubt that this year could have been good for some people, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I disagree, like I said. That's fine - this is a discussion board. Not trying to rile you up. Obviously people can read into the question differently.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
It's insane.

It's a complete 3.5/12, which translates to 2.96/10.

However, for some reason I said it was pretty bad.

I think I should reconsider and say the absolute worst.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Pretty bad overall
so many unnecessary deaths due to covid and we don't know long term effects from recovering from covid
but for me it was ok, moved to California, got to live Cali life for a month before the shutdowns

hoping 2021 turns it around for us all, stay safe

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 2015 and 2016 were exceptional so they're getting battled.

2020 was very good on a personal level:
- Paid off a $40k wedding in 8 months
- Got promoted, earned an additional $14k
- Earned another $6k from rebates
- Wife got promoted
- Worked from home
- I've been Team Biden since 2019 and he won.
- I worked the election and had an amazing experience.
- Decided to have a child in late September, tried in early October, got pregnant immediately.
- Have made my parents and family incredibly happy with said news. My friends are jubilant as well.
- Bought/sold a PS5 to a friend that really needed it, scored another somehow.
- Came a long way, emotionally.
- Did some amazing things, professionally.
- Might get an amazing place for a great rate in SoCal.
- 180k miles frequent flyer miles now

Negatives
- Fucked around on a professional exam. Trending better.
- Housing prices suck. Really.
- Writing stagnated
- Trump stuff
- Wife and I's honeymoon got cancelled to Europe
- Wife and I's trip to her sister's wedding in Japan got cancelled (amazing trip planned too)
- The rest of the world.
- Lost out on $1k from SoCal Edison because I responsible and changed my address EARLY on my registration.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Ups and downs. Managed lockdown well as I am not someone who needs a lot of social contact. I work from home anyway, so main difference was my wife was home too. Missed going to the cinema and being careless in public places the most.

Job wise it looked grim in the first half of the year, with stuff getting cancelled, but it got a lot better in the second half.

Overall not a great year. But it was mostly disapoinying because it should've been an amazing one.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Good year personally, but for greater society it was the worst year of my lifetime.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
The worst part was the social isolation but I know I'm lucky for being healthy and having my job. It was pretty bad though.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
What the fuck at some of these answers. You have to be an absolute sociopath and have no empathy whatsoever to answer to vote for some of these. Looks like there are a lot of you, too.

I don't care if you won the lottery. Hundreds of thousands of people died.

I think it's implied that this topic was about peoples' personal lives. If that wasn't the subject at hand then there wouldn't really be much to talk about in this topic, of course this year was the objective worst year for human history that most if not all of us would have been alive for. What is there to even say beyond how awful it was for humanity as a whole?