• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How would you prefer to consume games going forward?

• Physical media

Votes: 468 56.0%
  • Digital downloads

Votes: 571 68.4%
  • Subscription services (GamePass, for example)

Votes: 197 23.6%
  • Streaming services (Google Stadia, for example)

Votes: 68 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I don't see why I have to chose. I buy and stream movies and have done for nearly 10 years. Why can't game streaming, digital and physical releases co-exist for years to come.

Gamepass is my favourite way to consume games though as I have a massive selection of great games to chose from and it only cost me £8 a month.

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
I'm pretty much all digital now unless I can find the game on disc for a good price. I also like to buy a few months of Game Pass now and again.

I thought I'd be all physical for life but I don't have the space to store too many games.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Digital > Subscription > Streaming > Physical
While I definitely get the appeal to physical, I just prefer the convenience of digital.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Digital purchase, I like to have a collection but not scattered in my house.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I picked all four choices because I expect to be using all four choices next generation. I imagine over time that I would shift more towards streaming and subscription but really I will just go for whatever gives me the best value proposition for myself.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
i didnt bought single game since ps3. i am really happy with game pass type thing or digital only.

Streaming has to prove itself

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Same as always. A mix of digital (PC) and physical (console). Not interested in streaming and the subscription stuff is situational to me. I might sub for a month or two, but probably not year round.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
All digital is my personal preference across all media.

Though I'm open to subscription services. I guess I'm more curious than anything.

Ultimately I prefer to "own" the digital goods I purchase as I like to go back to older titles that could be pulled from subscription-based services like we see with Netflix.

No interest in physical media anymore. Been all digital for close to a decade.

But on the flipside I understand that physical is ideal for some.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I know what I want to play, when I want to play it, and want a good QoS (so good IQ, no lag, etc). So either physical or digital is fine.

But I don't see the point of subscription services, and I sure as hell don't want the laggy mess that are cloud services.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
I like purchasing and having things. So, physical.

I don't love digital for anything but PC, because it always comes with me even if I get a new PC. Console backwards compatibility on PS4 was abyssmal, and while I expect it to improve going forward, I really prefer to buy a disc even if it's just an install code.

If Digital had a discount (were $50.00 instead of $60.00), then I'd be more likely to buy digital. But still might opt for a physical disc. I don't see this happening, really ever though.

I have no interest in Subscription models for video games.

Have even less interest in a streaming only service for games.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lately I will admit that to having been won over by certain subscription services. Humble Monthly is a great source of games, and (unexpectedly) EA Origin Access kind of blew me away. There are like well over 100 games and it's 5 dollars a month for the basic plan. It's got the full Mass Effect series, full Dead Space series, all the Need for Speed games, Battlefield 1, and lots of older games and indie titles.

While I do like to have a library that is mine with no asterisks or exceptions, there are a lot of games where, truly, I will never play them more than once. So for a fraction of the cost of one game, I can play several a month and then purchase the ones I love later, on sale, if I want to keep them.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating Piracy
I use some digital and some physical currently, but most of my digital is through Steam which has stood (mostly) the test of time and stayed available to me in like 10+ years. PC seems to be fine for digital but consoles are another story.

I don't trust consoles/publishers to do the same because to be honest they haven't done the same. I upgrade my PC I can play the same games, I get the next console I practically get re-sold the same games again. I absolutely adore Nintendo and understand why their backlog isn't on the Switch store yet to give other games breathing room but I had hoped that switching to an all encompassing account would eventually lead to cross platform purchases but I see now I was naive in thinking that.

I don't like anything that
1. Depends on an internet connection
2. I don't actually own the rights to.

If gaming ever goes full digital I'll most likely see myself out of the scene or I'll pirate things moving forward if they become not available anymore. Game preservation is already in the shitter and I'm not buying the same games multiple times or dealing with things like pulling them off shelves/storefronts like they're starting to do.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
A subscription service is about the way you pay for the content. A streaming service is about the delievery of the content. They can overlap and often do, but don't have to. At Humble you can subscribe to the Humble Monthly that'll allow you to download DRM free games, you could download and put on a disc and have until the day you die. A streaming service will allow you to stream an image of the game you're playing, but it's not available locally at your location. Only the video stream of it.

Thanks, I don't know why I was thinking both were streaming.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Unfortunately, physical media doesn't work for me anymore, since for most games you'll need to download additional content to have the full and bug-free experience anyway. I don't see the point in having an incomplete game on a piece of plastic, it's not even great for preservation, so physical is mostly out for me. The rest is fine.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I super prefer physical, simply because I can sell them when I'm done.

These days I do mostly buy digital games, but I feel kind of bad seeing all those games I've already finished "collect dust". I guess I'll just have to delete them and pretend I never owned them in the first place, but somehow that feels like a waste of money, since I'm used to the idea of selling games I've finished.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Console games I want physical media
PC Games digital

Havent seen enough streaming yet but I suspect that is a long shot from proving itself on slow Australian internet

Silenti

May 29, 2018
The whole cloud and game pass sounds great. This largely depends on price and performance though. I do have one concern. Specifically with Cloud Gaming. I recently cancelled my Amazon Prime. Just not really worth it year round for me. Now, I know if I am using a subscription service, I am renting access for a specific time period. What about buying a Cloud game though? Losing access to my game library by being poor for a couple of months is not something I would be willing to endure. So how the billing is handled may well effect plenty of my decisions. It is one thing to make a clear choice on a subscription and try a bunch of games you might not have in the past. It is something else to potentially lose the ability to play the games I liked well enough to purchase.

Boogler

Dec 11, 2017
USA
If you were to ask me ten years ago, I would have told you physical only forever.

As time goes on, I have realized most of the games I play are useless without an internet connection anyway, so my fervent defense of physical games has all but deteriorated.

Digital games are convenient and save shelf space.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Lately I will admit that to having been won over by certain subscription services.

They've somewhat won me over as well, but only when they're doing special deals. Bought Game Pass for next to nothing for three months and it's just a fantastic service, with way more content than I'll have time to play in those months.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Digital download I can play on local hardware and also stream when I'm not at my console

Assume Sony/MS are more capable of doing that

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do physical media for console exclusives and DD for everything else.

Which... I like having a truly valuable collection I can sell if need be but it's kind of been a pain in the ass swapping carts all of the time with Switch.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
My order of preference is:

1. Digital - So many benefits, such as security (no worrying about my games getting stolen), convenience of having all of my games easily accessible, and laziness of not having to get up to switch games. I very rarely traded in games or sold them, so the main negatives of digital don't really apply to me...well, outside of the rare game being delisted, which hasn't affected me yet, but will most likely get me one day.

2. Subscription - Xbox Game Pass won me over; it has been great having access to a ton of games that I would normally never consider, mixed with some bigger hits. Downside is that it seems pretty common for games to be removed from the service.

3. Streaming - I don't think I've streamed any games yet, but I like the concept. Not sure if I will jump into Stadia since I am currently already close to my Comcast cap every month, but I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

4. Physical - As mentioned, I don't trade/sell games so physical just doesn't interest me at all. Plus I remember all the space I wasted years ago storing tons of games, and losing a bunch in a burglary making me need to repurchase many of them...no thanks.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, digital downloads and subscription services. It's essentially how I consume games now.

(Buy some games, play most through GameFly)

Once data caps get eliminated and streaming tech is really, really good, I'm not against streaming games at all. I don't really care about owning them as I extremely rarely go back to replay games.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People voting for streaming need to be repeatedly dunked in a river until they renounce their wicked ways.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Physical media only. Digital only for extremely low budget or limited release options, like retro compilations (if no physical option is available).

As soon as that's no longer possible, I'm quitting the hobby.

KilleyMC

Oct 27, 2017
Montevideo , Uruguay
Physical media always, digital download being the second option and only if there is no physical version, in which case I'll wait for heavy discounts before buying anything.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Digital > Physical. I would be interested in subscription if the selection was robust but no subscription service thus far that I'm aware of is. I'm not interested in streaming and it doesn't work for me anyway, I tried the PS Now trial once and it performed horribly. Internet connection isn't good enough I assume.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally, digital downloads with good ownership instead of loose licensing and server based DRM. Basically, GOG.

Physical releases in second. Streaming services are a no go.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
Already all digital.
Netflix-style subs would be cool if the services deliver new content every month.
I'll only move to streaming when latency issues are gone or I have no choice but to stream.

Nov 8, 2017
Physical ownership forever. I can deal with subs to supplement my options, when they are cheap (if they become the only option, they won't be cheap). I can deal with digital when it's on SOME platforms (GOG and Steam are the only platforms I trust for this).

Streaming is a joke until they solve the problems of lag, and even then it just becomes a subscription. There will be no licensing to play games on a company's hardware, so it's only a further end to the subscription model.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I will always prefer physical and then just standard digital. Streaming and Subscription services aren't something I want in this hobby, movies and music? Sure, of course. Games? No.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Physical media forever.

I've already regretted many digital purchases because they later got a physical release. So now I do not buy digital at all.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anything but streaming, really. I may have a decent connection, but once in a blue moon Netflix will turn into an low-res artifact mess for 30 seconds, and I don't want that happening at an important moment.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I'm OK with anything but streaming, but I'd prefer physical media and digital downloads. Maybe Stadia will change my mind, but I doubt it.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
What would be great is if games came with a voucher for the digital download like movies do these days, so you can have your disc while still enjoying the convenience of launching it digitally. I admit this system can be abused, but surely there's people far smarter than me in the industry who could figure out a way to make it work.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm old, 43, so I am fine as it is and as it was. Which is typical I think - you like what you are used to. If Physical and Digital Purchases go away and morph into Streaming and Subscriptions then I'll most likely be out of new gaming at that point. If however, that is how it is going then I have no problem with it. I'm not so old that I can't concede changing times. Few more years and I might be more indignant. I'll be sad to be out of new gaming but you cannot live in the past forever. So give me Phys and Digi and I'll happily and quietly keep playing games. But, The Future is Coming. Always does.