• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Star Fox Assault 2. Yeah that's probably a bit contentious, but if Nintendo wants to keep charging $60 for Star Fox games that's what they have to do. Give us on-foot missions with good controls and decent level design, bring back 2-tiered stages where you can go from foot to vehicles, and give us online multiplayer (Assault's MP is super underrated).

Assault was the logical progression for the series to keep it interesting. All the formula needs is some fine tuning.

Remaking Star Fox 64 ad naseum isn't going to cut it these days. If they want to do that, fine, then make it a digital-only title for no more than $20. Otherwise, adapt or leave the series dead.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Threads like this make me thanks havens for nintendo to never listen to it's most vocal fans.

yeah, we only get consistently mediocre Star Fox games that sell less and less each entry instead. because that's better for everyone instead.

Now I'm not saying Nintendo should relent and do exactly what the fans want (because they want 10 different things going by this thread), but let's not act like Nintendo even knows what they're doing with the franchise. Because they don't.

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
The core loop of Starlink on Switch is more or less exactly what I wanted out of a new Star Fox game, and the game was really only held back by the pricing, lack of content, and the weird toy gimmick (which you could ignore by buying digital). If you haven't played it, all the ships are effectively a meld of the Arwing and the Landmaster, and once you get past the opening sections you can mostly switch between them on command. You can also seamlessly fly through the atmosphere of a planet into space, where you can either warp between planets or just fly between them and do combat bits in between.

If you kept the core combat of Starlink, ditched the toys, tweaked the weapon system a little, and added a bunch more setpieces on the planets and in space, you'd basically have a perfect Star Fox sequel. Star Fox was never X-Wing or TIE Fighter; it was always a fast arcade-style shooter, and Starlink mostly sticks to that feel. I liked the open world/base takeover and defense bits of Starlink, and I feel they could work in a true sequel as long as you pushed better set pieces to the forefront.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
  • Character models based on the stop motion like box art from the Super Nintendo game
  • Composer from Assault or OG Starfox
  • Customizable ships
  • Like Starlink
  • Co-op wingmen or create a multiplayer Squadron

Last edited:

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky on a much smaller scale.

The game starts with you being warped to the edge of the galaxy, and your mission is to make your way back to Corneria where Andross has taken over.

The gameplay loop involves travelling between planets where you can complete Star Fox-esque missions (some on-rails shooting levels, some more open like Starlink) - some optional, to slowly build a drive that will get you to Corneria. You can also get attacked in space etc.

So...I guess just like Star Fox 64 but you're the one travelling between levels, and there's a lot more to do than just the story missions.

OR

Just do what Star Fox 2 did with modern tech. Part strategy, procedural, part tower defence, part star fox, etc.

I actually love Star Fox 2 and playing it with a joystick (switch pro) is hella choice. So glad it was finally released.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The arwing should transform like in Zero (and 2).
The female pilots from 2 must be included.
Master tank and the sub.
Multi must have an offline mode with bots. (8 like in perfect dark)
Branching paths
Good balance between linear missions and all range mode missions.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like you have to go two ways with Star Fox. You go big or you go small.

What I'd like for them to do, rather than making another traditional SF game is to go smaller. Don't try and force the 90s gameplay of Star Fox into a big $60 game in 2021, make a smaller scope title. Maybe take some infinite run/rogue-lite elements so it's repeatable? Get in an external team and let them go wild with the license and do a Streets of Rage 4/Axiom Verge scope of game with it.

Of course you could just keep it how it's always been but I think that's a recipe for nobody giving a shit about your game, a bit like the last Star Fox.

My main issue with Star Fox games outside of the SNES era is just playing all the content too quickly and then getting board of just going through the same map again.

Also, what I probably want it just Ex-Zodiac. Get Ben Hickling to make the new Star Fox. He already has.

Holy shit I've never seen this but it looks raaaaaaaaaaaad

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Zero but with more content and more refined high scoring paths.

That's literally all I want. The systems in zero were really fun to learn. But some of the Easter eggs got boring quick when they were the best way to score points.

Anyone suggesting anything involving crafting or exploration need to be kept as far away as possible from the franchise. The gameplay in starlink is decent enough but it's definitely not a star Fox game (on land, anyway, where it plays much better. In space it's closer but just inferior to SFZ's improvements to all range).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just stick to the roots.

Every time they've tried to shake things up they have failed. I fear Zero might have damaged this brand beyond repair in the eyes of both Nintendo and the fanbase.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Easy, make the flying as close to the ground as possible. Invent a story excuse so that being too high up over the ground is near insta-death. Gameplay core should be around dodging obstacles, not shooting.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
A storyline with a colourful cast of characters. Bring back some of those scrapped designs from the big Nintendo leak. Between missions have the option to build 'social links' with your crew and get to know them. Each character has their own optional quest-line and you unlock additional side missions where you help them with their own individual storyline. I would love that.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I'd overhaul it completely. Now hear me out here, but I feel like NieR: Automata would be a really good gameplay base

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Dodging games are boring as shit. I don't understand why people like Velocity 20XX so much.

What are you even talking about? I'm talking about stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sarFZJl3h0&t=2m30s

Gameplay about "corridor navigation" rather than doing a 180 turn over and over again until the target is destroyed.

This is the core of Star Fox:

3915_03.jpg

And I think it should be applied to semi open-ended levels to reach that "next-gen" Star Fox.

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Already talked about this in the dream game thread but basically this

-Star Fox Zero but actually going all in in the idea of multiple univeses that clash to turn into a big central one that is carried for now on. Super long story mode that starts similar to Star Fox 64, but turns fast into a celebration of ALL the series (but always on the vehicles, never on foot). Character style same as Zero (becuase it was great with that) but graphics look super cool for a switch (or the nintendo console the game is on) instead of an artsyle emulation of 64, or whatever was going on with Zero. Miyu and Fay make the first real game appearence. Krystal and some characters from Command also. Game has a ton of stages from planets and space areas of the whole series, with some new stuff that compliments the story, with tons of routes to unlock. The important part, instead of going from route A to B through different lines, see the credits and start again, the map stays always one while you are discovering new stages and routes that open more of the map, and you can go back and replay older ones to get higher scores and cool unlocks (this time score are ranked, and different ranks get you unlocks). Even if you get to the ending and see the credits, the map stays the same and you can keep unlocking new routes and stuff, and get higher scores, in fact completing all routes 100% gives you a special ending. Now, similar to stuff like Hyrule warriors, the first time you need to beat a stage, the game forces you a team of 4 characters (or whatever the story asks if they are less) to choose as you and your wingmen (for story purposes), but after that, you can use any character and ship you unlock to create whatever team you want (even when you unlock villains like Star Wolf to control), this would easily be explained by the story being a crazy multiverse thing. Becuase one of the only things that Command did that were super cool, is having different ships with different stats, and they will basically turn into "bayonetta weapons" were you can choose whatever you want for the playstyle you want to get the high scores, or maybe you like that character and thats it (and the stages will have less that the main story, but still some new character dialogue depending of your team). Of course dubbed in different lamguages like it has been this past 2 games.
At the end of the story, Krystal, Fay, Miyu and Slippy's girlfriend (though that one need a redesign) join the star fox team for any new games, as the multiverse has joined into one, as expanding the female fanbase is a good thing. New stories with similar gameplay, once every genration, and starfox is set.
This is the thing, being an arcade type game isnt a good excuse to make it simple and short, like star fox as been when it has tried to do super nes and 64 style. Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors games are not super short experiences, and they go for a similar score based and replayability to unlock stuff and people love them.

Summary, go the Hyrule warriors route. Give score MEANINGFUL and unlock ships via story and better ranks (Bayonetta scoring system, with different ships behaving differently making scoring fun,, basically the only good thing SF Command had), do not make multiple routes to the end (basically 3 routes in less than 6 hours and you beat the whole game), but one whole BIG map that hase multiple routes to go to other levels and getting to the end is like longer action games, and still once you get to the end, there are multiple routes still to discover and extra unlocks.
Most of the stages are on rails with some all range mode (and most of them are new instead of rehasing stages from 64 like Zero did). Once you betaen the stage on storymode, you can do it again with any team of characters and ships you unlock, also online table scores.
About the story is a multiverse story (what was hinted in SF Zero and never went anyhwhere), something like Andross created various wormholes to try to win in all the SF multiverses, with tributes to all the games and by the end everything collapses to one univese making starfox team being 8 characters with Fox, Falco, Peppy Slippy, joined by Krystal, Fay, Miyu and Katt (or slyppy's gf) going forward to stories that are not Andross.
Also ask Sakurai for a Kid Icarus Uprising type of story. SF Zero character arstyle was the way to go, but ditch the shitty emulating 64 graphics for scenery that game had.

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
What are you even talking about? I'm talking about stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sarFZJl3h0&t=2m30s

Gameplay about "corridor navigation" rather than doing a 180 turn over and over again until the target is destroyed.

This is the core of Star Fox:

3915_03.jpg

And I think it should be applied to semi open-ended levels to reach that "next-gen" Star Fox.
I mentioned the first game that came to my mind with that sort of gameplay. Having enemies is critical to SF's identity as a shmup.
Already talked about this in the dream game thread but basically this

Summary, go the Hyrule warriors route. Give score MEANINGFUL and unlock ships via story and better ranks (Bayonetta scoring system, with different ships behaving differently making scoring fun,, basically the only good thing SF Command had), do not make multiple routes to the end (basically 3 routes in less than 6 hours and you beat the whole game), but one whole BIG map that hase multiple routes to go to other levels and getting to the end is like longer action games, and still once you get to the end, there are multiple routes still to discover and extra unlocks.

Most of the stages are on rails with some all range mode. Once you betaen the stage on storymode, you can do it again with any team of characters and ships you unlock, also online table scores.

About the story is a multiverse story (what was hinted in SF Zero and never went anyhwhere), something like Andross created various wormholes to try to win in all the SF multiverses, with tributes to all the games and by the end everything collapses to one univese making starfox team being 8 characters with Fox, Falco, Peppy Slyppy, joined by Krystal, Fay, Miyu and Katt (or slyppy's gf) going forward to stories that are not Andross.
I can get behind these additions, I'm indifferent on the multiverse idea but if it makes people happy then go for it.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly I'd overhaul it completely. Now hear me out here, but I feel like NieR: Automata would be a really good gameplay base

With this, I think we've finally got a good template for the next star fox in this threads suggestions

NieR: Automata + Star Fox Adventures 2 + dating sim + Starlink + Mass Effect + Battlefield + musou + 4X + BotW in space + focus on multiplayer + focus on linear levels singleplayer + Ratchet & Clank + visual novel =

DREEEEAAAMMMMM STAR FOX GAAAAAEEMMMMM!!21!1

1YCS.gif

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Just give me the same formula as the first two games. No new gimmicks. No foot missions. No special controls. Just straight on-rails shooting with a story and branching paths. Bring back the tank. Do an homage to the train level again if you want. Do a submarine level again but make sure to do it properly.

OP
OP
King Kingo

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Star Fox should go the Mario route of having sub-series dabble in different genres. The cast is loveable enough to justify the multi-games approach.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Alright so what you wanna do is ditch everything about the game gameplay wise and start from scratch. Screw the fans, there's not enough of them to make the games successful anyway. Traditional arcade-like Starfox is a dead end and unless they move on the series will remain dead, the games need to be more than like 2 hours long lol. The arguably best Starfox game is a platformer and barely even Starfox in the first place...

Making it an adventure game in space is probably the only way to go. Something like Starlink or No Man's Sky, or Outer Worlds. Full space exploration. Actually make an interesting story, you have all these great classic characters that have never really had their time to shine or do anything.

Full reboot let's go. Just be full on ambitious. The only way for the traditional arcade gameplay to work is as an extra mode or small missions.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Make it arcade and fast paced. Also, keep a simple control scheme, just stop weird gameplay experiment.
Something like the kid Icarus uprising flying segments would be awesome.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I think Star Fox Assault was a move in the right direction, it's a shame people seem to dislike it.

OP
OP
King Kingo

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
If an IP cannot sustain its mainline games, it is too early to talk about spin offs.

I'd argue that Star Fox is one of the few exceptions, the main cast of characters are iconic enough to be transplanted into a different genre.

Hypothetically speaking, if a Star Fox Warriors game came out, it's bound to be successful because people love the characters from Star Fox.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'd argue that Star Fox is one of the few exceptions, the main cast of characters are iconic enough to be transplanted into a different genre.

Hypothetically speaking, if a Star Fox Warriors game came out, it's bound to be successful because people love the characters from Star Fox.
Star Fox hasn't been popular for too long for that.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a 3D take on Starfox 2 with seamless planetary entry/exit and a bit of BotW mixed in.

Also for people that own Star Fox Zero and couldn't get into it because of the controls, if you have a gaming PC do this:

1: Get a Dualshock 4 or DualSense
2: Dump the game and setup Cemu
3: Setup DS4Windows as a motion-provider
4: Set the touchpad to act as a toggle between Gamepad/TV output mode
5: Enjoy the game with competent gyro-controls

Honestly playing like this made me completely forget my disliking for the controls, it suffers from two things on the Wii U:

1: Having to divide attention between the tablet and the TV
2: The tablets hardware being terrible

And you fix everything like this.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Star Fox hasn't been popular for too long for that.

Relatively to its number of, and general reception of its recent games, Star Fox is absolutely still popular and has mindshare in the public.
  • There was the animated short released for Star Fox: Zero
  • Looking at just bigger Nintendo series, that animated short on YouTube is only behind Mario-adjacent (Kart, Yoshi, Luigi), Zelda, PokĂ©mon, Smash, Kirby, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing going by popularity on the regular "Nintendo" channel (also behind stuff like Minecraft and Sonic)
  • "do a barrel roll" into google makes the screen flip around
  • Best selling game on Amazon the day it came out
They could absolutely leverage the popularity of the characters in this series in a musou/Warriors game like Alpha Baymax mentioned. Compared to F-Zero, is another series with a lot of characters, Star Fox's cast has gotten more chance for characterisation for each, and would lend itself well to that type of game

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Either lean into the arcade aspect of the games way more and make it a more linear experience with a bunch of different paths, or make it way closer to something like Mass Effect with deep lore and a huge scope story-wise.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
more all range mode levels and bosses.
more branching paths, maybe more rpg mechanics - but nothing that really makes the game a grind if you don't upgrade "right." no ng+ either - each run gives an opportunity for a different build.
more dialogue that reacts to your gameplay. if you want to go crazy with it, give them a trust system kind of like binary domain.

I really liked 64, and Star Fox 2 and Starlink (which is a LOT like Star Fox 2) to a lesser degree. I haven't played Zero but I heard it's pretty good. Did not like Assault at all and Command is kind of not great. SNES Star Fox 1 is simply outmoded imo, but not "bad."

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Fox is a detective
AND a scientist
AND there's full frontal sex
AND Fox can smell crime before it happens

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Change the name to Kid Icarus, swap the characters and let Sakurai make it.
Unironically This.

That or, you know, make a new story, it's long overdue for them to depart the Star Fox 64 story, I know Miyamoto doesn't like games to have a story that carries on trough multiple games (tell that to the Zelda team right now HA!) but StarFox is the one Nintendo series that would benefit from this, they need to go on new canonical adventures. It's not the rail shooter genre that's outdated, it's the same old Star Fox levels that are...old.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about the story except NOT like Starfox 64 again and bring the gameplay like Assault back and refine it going forward.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Honestly, Starfox 2 was the most fun I had with the series, so I'd bring back that "defend the base during several missions" gameplay in some shape of form. It kinda reminded me of Majora's Mask in that you have smaller goals that you choose on every run, but the main goal is always the same.

In terms of story I just want them to do something new with the setting. It's always defending Corneria from Andross. It's the NSMB equivalent of space battles, so maybe do it like Wonderful 101 and have the characters and villains develop as the game progresses, so that you end up somewhere unexpected?

I'd also like it if you discovered new people to help along the different stages to make it seem more like a journey, as opposed to going somewhere because you were ordered to and fighting random rivals for no good reason.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I actually liked the idea from Command of fusing it with strategy elements. Maybe mix on-rails levels with big armada battles that require Fire Emblem-style battlefield management.