• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, the yellow is cool. Other than that, Aaron Paul holding a gun is a bit boring. How do you improve this?

9e0miqiv9f331.jpg

HAN402a.gif

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Putting some effort into it beyond the protagonist with a gun and a boring background would be a good start.

Seriously though CDPR's cover arts for Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 are so bland and uninspired. They have plenty of talented artists that could whip up something better. Same problem with Death Stranding, when Kojima Prod has Yoji Shinkawa at their disposal and they use a close-up of Norman Reedus instead of doing anything even remotely interesting for the cover.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Put the random dude in the cyberpunk city.
Basically this, if you really gotta go with dude with a gun on the cover at least put him in the city or by his car with the skyline nearby like in that one trailer. Show that it's an open world game with a densely packed city to explore. At least that would communicate SOMETHING about the game other than you're a dude and you have a gun. Most player's characters won't even look like that guy anyways, the focus shouldn't be on the character but on the world, that's the fantasy they're selling.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
Have the protagonist walking on the street of Night City at night with all of the lights and neon. The shot is a little farther away and closer to the ground of their back. You see the street samurai logo on the jacket with weapons in each hand or just a gun in one.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Shoulda just aped the cover for CP2020's Night City sourcebook

latest

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
They could have at least made the background one of those 90s laser shows from school yearbooks.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
basically literally anything would be better. a picture of a neon turd being gigaflushed down a cyber toilet would be more compelling

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Make the city the star. It's fine to have the main character there, but make it a bit more dynamic and artful. Emphasise the fact it's cyberpunk where the sun exists, which is oddly a rather unique feature worth pushing.

May 26, 2018
In terms of what they were trying to do? Make it the most visible possible game on a Gamestop shelf? I mean... that's it.

But there must be twenty different artistic covers you could shoot for.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Looks fine to me but then again I thought Spider-Man did too but that was supposedly horrible lol. Maybe try to show each type of default build in the game so it's not just the one dude.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
there are steelbooks with the gangs...here is one of them...voodoo boys

Voodoo-boys_Cyberpunk-2077_Cd-Projekt-red.jpg

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
These all kinda look worse to me. I think the official one really grabs your attention, as generic as it is (and it always looked like Justin Timberlake to me, not Aaron Paul).

Are there slipcases or steelbooks with different art?

Just concept art.
www.dualshockers.com

These Cyberpunk 2077 Concept Art Styles Are Truly Breathtaking

Check out some of the amazing Cyberpunk 2077 concept art style pieces that showcase four cultural aesthetics

I don't agree at all, if I didn't know what Cyberpunk was (and to be honest, I really don't... I haven't looked into it much), I'd just think it was a generic shooter. The yellow draws your eye to the cover, sure, but the actual guy looks pretty bland and uninteresting, at least to me.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Make the city the star. It's fine to have the main character there, but make it a bit more dynamic and artful. Emphasise the fact it's cyberpunk where the sun exists, which is oddly a rather unique feature worth pushing.
exactly my thoughts too

Using this keyart as the base for the cover would be better already

1fa45707cd390294ddf185c5eff53007.jpg

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Literally anything else. That thing has to be the worst cover art for anything Cyberpunk. Reminds me of the generic dudes with guns box arts in the 360 days, particularly this one:

Official_cover_art_for_Bioshock_Infinite.jpg

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree at all, if I didn't know what Cyberpunk was (and to be honest, I really don't... I haven't looked into it much), I'd just think it was a generic shooter. The yellow draws your eye to the cover, sure, but the actual guy looks pretty bland and uninteresting, at least to me.
The Witcher 3 is basically the same thing... main character on the cover w/ a weapon, plain background. Didn't seem to matter sales-wise. :) But I understand that there are folks who don't just want generic covers, so I'm not trying to downplay. I just think it accomplishes what it sets out to do: grab attention on a store shelf or in an advertisement. You pick it up and turn it over to learn/see more. Spider-Man and other games do it right by having the "eyecatching" cover, but with reversible art with something more interesting or classy. Square Enix is pretty good about this too (Nier Automata, Final Fantasy XV, Dragon Quest XI, etc.).

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
The yellow theme is cool but the guy in the front is forgettable.

Literally adding more interesting looking characters would be just fine

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I hate all these game covers that only shows a person standing still while carrying a weapon. Everyone on the planet knows what cyberpunk is, they don't have to settle with bottom of the barrel techniques to "capture the eyes" of passerbys. They can actually put something good looking and interesting for once. This goes the same for every massive AAA title that everyone knows about and is going to buy anyway.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Just did a quick search to see what concept and fanart is out there, and it's a lot. Did some dirty mockups, but that's not even scratching the surface really:

14OCeje.jpg

8XijcFq.jpg

63qhJLT.jpg

AQ2EGW9.jpg

5Vbzvm5.jpg

ugT2nvw.jpg

LtFdSg2.jpg

A1hecuX.jpg

TGi3CZW.jpg

r2EJB9h.jpg

FqFN6Tx.jpg

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I mean, the artists there are masterclass, I'm sure they are equipped to make a box-art. It's more just marketing and publisher decisions, because box-art aint for us. But this has to be said every time...

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Just get the steelbook. I think NA side art is improving(very slowly) but the steelbooks usually always deliver for us that care about that kinda stuff.