• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 25, 2020
Title is pretty self explanatory.

Personally, I am not ashamed to admit as a KOTOR tragic that I would have fanboyed all around the cinema. By the time Rey has her yellow duel bladed saber, she is Bastila's doppleganger.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that would have been much better than what they did.

EDIT: For people going "who?"
d645c86daaa9f71aece4677540af2352.jpg
images

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't even add anything to the plot. TROS's focus on her parentage was one of the worst mistakes of that movie when that was supposedly all cleared up in the last movie.

gsab1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do people care about Obi-wan's family line? The explanation for force users of various levels of power, should just begin and end with the force wills it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Laughed because the audience would be confused, but still dissapointed that she's not just a nobody like the broom boy. I don't see what meaningful aspect that adds to her arc, to accept she's her own person, and not to look for old legends as a parential, guiding figure.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a neat callback for fans, but that's it. Being related to two characters dead 4000 years ago wouldn't have much impact on the story unless they cast some force ghosts.

I still prefer her being Rey Nobody.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
You really don't Rey to be related to anyone famous. I also don't think most people will even know who Revan is and will just be left confused.
Besides doesn't KOTOR take place like 2,000+ years before TROS? If Revan had descendants I highly doubt Rey would be the only one.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Worse than the Palpatine situation from a film/narrative point of view, as those characters have no bearing on any of the films and current supporting material. Even as fan service it would have been incredibly misguided.

Rey was better off as not having some notable lineage aka being a no one. They could even have stuck with the Palpatine angle, if they had the sense to go with another film between to let that cook like the rest of the elements thrown in the blender in RoS. But seeing as they didn't, the no one direction ultimately comes out being preferable.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The worst thing about making her related to somebody in TROS was that it was a bizarre about-face retcon from TLJ, which would have been the case no matter who Abrams & Co. decided to make her related to.

I really liked that she didn't just have her place in the story handed to her on a silver platter. But, it turns out, she did all along!

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
How would the film naturally just announce that she is the descendent of two people who lived thousands of years ago? And how would that matter to the plot?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
You're still making a story about how your main character is special because of their bloodline, the exact thing TLJ wanted to refute.

"Hey kids, sure you can be heroic, but you'll never be that good if you're not part of some dynastic heritage granting you obvious superiority."

That and how thoroughly meaningless those names are to the movie-going audience.

Nov 29, 2018
The whole point should have been that lineage doesn't matter. It's the choices you make that determine who you are.

Edit: Nevermind, that still kind of applies in the Rey Palpatine case. She still should have been a nobody, though.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Rey Nobody was the best choice, anything else is a downgrade. But any dramatic last name reveal that would have landed to a chorus of "Who?" from the general moviegoing public would have been an especially bad choice. Rey Palpatine was a laughable, embarrassing plot development but at least people actually know the name Palpatine.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
After ~4000 years probably half of the characters we see in Star Wars are descendants of multiple KoTOR characters. There's been well over a hundred generations since then. Every human in the galaxy could be descended from Bastila.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Look.

I'm dead serious right here.

She could've been revelaed to be raised by Gungans and distantly related to Jar Jar Binks and it would've been better than what we got.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
It's completely meaningless. Tying Rey to existing characters is bad storytelling and entirely undermines any character development she might've had.

Ugh, I'm mad about TROS again, now.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
They would have spent a chunk of the movie explaining who they were, which would have been better than...well most of the film. I still wish they had gone with the "Rey is a nobody" storyline and avoided the whole biz that the only real people that matter were the Skywalkers and the Palpatines.