• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
There's no point in remaking FFVII if you are going to change some of the most important parts of the story.

So if there's no cross dressing cancel the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Aeries NOT dying would fundamentally change a massive chunk of that game.

I honestly not sure its feasible if you still want to call it a remake.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
that would be hilarious actually

well not the part if they kill Tifa, because she's awesome. but maybe if they kill Cait Sith instead

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Fuck that Tifa > Aeris

I personally agree..Tifa is so much more fleshed out as a character in a 3 dimensional sense. She's got faults, worries, doubts and flaws, but is the glue that holds everything together when times are hard. In addition to actually tying the rest of the story together in the biggest conflict parts of the story.

Even the implication that killing her off to score a cheap shock value point is irritating

The only reason Aeris is a memorable character is because she dies.

I wont go that far at all...she was fine in the first disc...

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting changes but I'm hoping they'll be smart about it and do so in service to the story.

I think this would be a straight swerve that would turn the game's narrative into a very different thing and I don't know if that's what people want with this remake.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They would be very foolish to NOT mess with this scene and its outcome. Seph has to kill aeris though, so even if Tifa took it story wise Seph would keep trying and the whole story would change. That said, a way to bring her back seems much more plausible. It could be optional for purists, and really fun/emotional for everyone else. Aeris was one of my main characters on first playthrough but never after as I knew it was a waste to build her up. But they had all her limit breaks in there if you built her up that far, and IIRC people have discovered hidden text with later game conversations with her. Makes you wonder if it was in the original plan...

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Thatguy The whole point of the story is the permanence of death and what it does to people who have to live on. It would be taking a coward's view of things to bring her back.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason Aeris is a memorable character is because she dies.
I disagree, I always thought sonething was unnerving and interesting about how Aeris suddenly meets this dude who's acting like a clone of her ex. Love the character, and love how her house looks like it doesn't belong with all the crap in Midgar and in general how she acts like she's from a brighter world. Thought she had a distictive character design as well.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I guess we could stop calling it a remake then
New name:
Dont-Level-Aeris.png

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
What is this? 1997?

I remember the same arguments for not killing Aeris from people who never finished the game and didn't realize how crucial her death is to the ending.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
How would they stop meteor if Aeris lives? It's implied she's controlling, influencing the lifestream to control Holy when it stop meteor. Changes shouldn't make the story less interesting.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no, if they off Tifa as a twist I will be bummed out and probably stop playing despite it being a remake to one of best FF titles.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It would never happen. Aerith's death is too much of a plot point in the entire Compilation of Final Fantasy VII. Aerith surviving would retcon away the entire Compilation and Nomura won't do that. The Compilation was his baby.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Really wondering where all these "Don't call it a remake if you change something!" people were when they completely gutted and redesigned the battle system (for the worse). Lol.

At this point it's just fact that it won't be "the same game, but prettier". I'd bet money there will be some story tweaks/changes, and I'm interested to see what they'll be.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It would never happen. Aerith's death is too much of a plot point in the entire Compilation of Final Fantasy VII. Aerith surviving would retcon away the entire Compilation and Nomura won't do that. The Compilation was his baby.
Even moving Aeris' death for shock value is fucking awful, she dies in the City of Ancients, praying for holy, dying anywhere else doesn't make sense to me. Reminds me of the bullshit when Tim Burton did a new lame twist ending for POTA where Lincoln statue becomes an ape, just for the sake of suprising people who saw the original.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind what if's or Evangelion Rebuild twists to it.
But if she survives, how would the story change in itself?

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really wondering where all these "Don't call it a remake if you change something!" people were when they completely gutted and redesigned the battle system (for the worse). Lol.

At this point it's just fact that it won't be "the same game, but prettier". I'd bet money there will be some story tweaks/changes, and I'm interested to see what they'll be.
Are you seriously comparing the battle system to a major plot point that wouldnt make sense with a different character?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously comparing the battle system to a major plot point that wouldnt make sense with a different character?
You're right. The battle system is far more important and integral to the gameplay experience than some silly story beat. Most of VII's plot is a mess anyhow...

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Thing is, I already have Final Fantasy 7 and that's not going anywhere. A lot of it's charm exists in the state it was released in.

In this case, it's a full on re-envisioning instead of a port, I say go for it. They could make some really fun changes. Some of the story telling is cliche or convoluted and they could make for something with a much wider appeal that actually throws all of their audience (instead of newcomers) for a wild ride.

Same reason I dislike the new Disney Live action movies. You're following a template that was set before you when the source material is still fine. Your sitting through the same story with a little more flair instead of indulging in something new is, in my option, a waste of talent.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think i would like the option to choose to kill either or by doing miscellaneous requirements not clearly stated or known until after beating the game and playing another round. Or possibly could go the REmake route and possibly make the character last just a bit longer before their inevitable death by doing similar miscellaneous requirements maybe. I thought that they said that they were going to stay as close as possible to the main story and not deviate unless obviously needed. i'd love an option somehow to non-canonically(or canonically if square is daring to retcon something so big as this pivotal story point in the game) save Aerith maybe through some rigorous in game subquests or something like that.

Last edited:

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
They would have to retool the entire plot and resolution.
Aerith dying is sort of the only reason Meteor is stopped. Without her active as a part of the lifestream itself, holy can't call it up to destroy meteor.
So yeah it would be a really stupid change.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Despite not having beaten the original, I'd still prefer that they stick to the major beats. Otherwise, they can change as much as they want.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Ryanreynoldsbutwhy.gif

Keep to the original story as possible. With Aerith not dying during the game they would have to rewrite the plot as she is essential to stopping Meteor. The only way for Aerith to live is to let her die at the end. Like when the final confrontation between Cloud and Sephiroth she still would jump in the Lifestream just to boost the power of Holy.

Honestly this feels like Cloud x Aerith shippers desperately bargaining for prolonging the love triangle between Cloud, Aerith and Tifa.

Pssshhh.

Tifa forever, Aerith never ya losers.

Just joking ofcourse

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I would be very impressed, assuming they went on to rewrite the rest of the fucking game.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Almost every idea in this thread would either make the plot nonsensical if not fully impossible or undermine characters and events that are vital to the game's identity.

Leave it as is, there's enough fan fiction tier content in advent children, dirge and crisis core for those who want that stuff.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Make it Cloud who pushes Aerith out of the way, gets impaled, and dies. Then Aeris and Tifa go off and have adventures together. Then you've got my money.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I tried imagining it...

...and now I want them to add a post game unlockable video gallery with silly versions of major plot cutscenes, MGS3 Secret Theatre style. Like Sephiroth missing the mark or President Shinra dropping the wrong sector plate.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I tried imagining it...

...and now I want them to add a post game unlockable video gallery with silly versions of major plot cutscenes, MGS3 Secret Theatre style. Like Sephiroth missing the mark or President Shinra dropping the wrong sector plate.

Imagine if MGS3 was remade and they changed the character development of the boss, and Eva is the final boss, fucking up the canon, cause some people already knowing the story. Only changes that should be made are ones that are as good or better than the original content

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017

How do you know that the new battle system is worse?