• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fardeen

Oct 31, 2017
Hell no. That would ruin a key and integral part of the story. Her death is integral and iconic in this series. So much character growth goes into her dyinf

I'm sure they played the game and are not pretending... It's not unusual to wonder how different the story would be if she survived. Even FFXV had a what-if alternate ending scenario planned as DLC. Not that hard to grasp and nothing to get suspicious over.

One is DLC released that would have been out over 2 years after its been out and still a non-canon DLC.

What people are proposing is a radical shift in the story of FF7 Universe as a whole, by keeping Aerith alive and saying stick with it, while ignoring the people that are making the game statments and interviews where they mention how important her death is and saying its still the same story (with some changes) but will still be the same story.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they played the game and are not pretending... It's not unusual to wonder how different the story would be if she survived. Even FFXV had a what-if alternate ending scenario planned as DLC. Not that hard to grasp and nothing to get suspicious over.

I just don't see Square being willing (or financially able) to do an alternate version of the entire second half of the game based around Aeris not dying. Especially since all that would happen is just Meteor crashing into Gaia and killing everyone, including Aeris herself.

Fardeen

Oct 31, 2017
I'm late to the thread so I'm sure it's been said, but Aerith's death is more than just a gut punch emotional moment, and it's more than just a motivation for Cloud and the party to go after Sephiroth. Aerith, specifically, returning to the Lifestream is essential to the success of stopping Meteor, which by the end of the game, everyone assumes is a lost cause and the whole world is doomed.

Killing sephiroth is literally just a shot in the dark to hope that they'll free Holy, and the planet will decide humanity is worth saving. Spoiler alert, Holy does not stop Meteor and right as it seems all is lost, Aerith's spirit guides the Lifestream to its impact site (right above Midgar) and the game ends with a huge flash of light, leaving it up to interpretation what happened. The post credits scene which plays out 500 years later shows RedXIII and his children running around on a cliff overlooking the ruins of Midgar, and as the screen fades out you hear the laughter of human children, implying that humanity was saved by Aerith and the Lifestream.

If Aerith lives, her entire arc and the purpose of her character ceases to be relevant. It would make zero sense for a different character to take her place, because she's a Cetra (ancient race of people who were more connected to the planet and the Lifestream than modern humans) and that's the reason why she's able to influence the Lifestream at all.

You wouldn't just be changing a few scenes if Aerith lives, you'd be re-writing 2/3rds of the game to accommodate the change, and you'd have to re-write one of the biggest plot points that makes the whole story work.

I feel like the people hoping for Aerith to live either didn't play the original game, or they did and they don't remember how relevant her death was to the overall plot. It's literally and entire different story if she lives.
This!

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely still happening and I'll definitely cry twice as hard this time.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I am on board for VII next march to change the way folks think of VII completely.

fanfic like prediction... - Sephiroth sends the remnants Kadaj and his gang to kidnap Aerith on disc 2 in midgar. You have to fight him in the end. on top of Shinra / all over the city.
the next game is Final Fantasy VII-2 set in the open world The Aerith moment has already happened in Midgar. You can somehow prevent it or save her.

This would be a wild change lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am on board for VII next march to change the way folks think of VII completely.

fanfic like prediction... - Sephiroth sends the remnants Kadaj and his gang to kidnap Aerith on disc 2 in midgar. You have to fight him in the end. on top of Shinra / all over the city.
the next game is Final Fantasy VII-2 set in the open world The Aerith moment has already happened in Midgar. You can somehow prevent it or save her.

This would be a wild change lol

Why would they kill Aeris off even earlier?

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they? I mean I guess it would be a cool Easter egg if you could go on a DLC Quest after the main game to resurrect her like all those cheat code urban schoolyard legend rumors said back in the day though.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I would like it, if it were optional and really convoluted like some of the theories about how to do it back in the day

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Only if it dooms the world or she turns evil. I'd want monkey paw all up in that nonsense.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
One is DLC released that would have been out over 2 years after its been out and still a non-canon DLC.

What people are proposing is a radical shift in the story of FF7 Universe as a whole, by keeping Aerith alive and saying stick with it, while ignoring the people that are making the game statments and interviews where they mention how important her death is and saying its still the same story (with some changes) but will still be the same story.

no shit, I obviously know all of this. People are also proposing NG+ scenarios and DLC in this thread, too, in fact the first comment is that. The planned XV DLC was a result of fan surveys. I don't agree with it and never voted for it myself, but it's not unprecedented for fans to want to save their favourite characters is all I was saying and using the FFXV DLC as an example of real demand being there and not just this bizarre idea of ~not true fans~ who didn't really play the game wanting Aerith to live and being ignorant of the story.

I just don't see Square being willing (or financially able) to do an alternate version of the entire second half of the game based around Aeris not dying. Especially since all that would happen is just Meteor crashing into Gaia and killing everyone, including Aeris herself.

and neither do I.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Aeris living completely changes the entire second half of the game so I'd probably not like it

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Man i'm glad people writing the threads on ERA aren't having anything to do with this games development.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Really don't understand why people even think this is a possibility. It's a key element to the story of FFVII. It would be insane if she survives.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a horrible idea and I probably wouldn't get the game because of it.

Her sacrifice, the way death impacts Cloud and the struggle he goes through finding himself, how Tifa helps him through that in her story beat sequence, you can't just swap characters for a death scene and expect it to make sense. Plus the entire circle of life mythology and ending with Holy only happen because of her, she's the reason they survive.

I am not for this idea of Aeris fans clamoring for her to live, fans don't always make the right suggestions and this would be one of those times.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm late to the thread so I'm sure it's been said, but Aerith's death is more than just a gut punch emotional moment, and it's more than just a motivation for Cloud and the party to go after Sephiroth. Aerith, specifically, returning to the Lifestream is essential to the success of stopping Meteor, which by the end of the game, everyone assumes is a lost cause and the whole world is doomed.

You wouldn't just be changing a few scenes if Aerith lives, you'd be re-writing 2/3rds of the game to accommodate the change, and you'd have to re-write one of the biggest plot points that makes the whole story work.

I feel like the people hoping for Aerith to live either didn't play the original game, or they did and they don't remember how relevant her death was to the overall plot. It's literally and entire different story if she lives.
Yes, I agree completely.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I would be down for that. There is no reason why her shocking death cant remain in the domain of the 1997 game. But Square has no balls to do it.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Would be stupid wish fulfillment for the same people who couldn't handle the ending of The Last Of Us.

Might as well change Cloud's backstory and make Red XIII a pterodactyl.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
they wouldnt, i was just saying that it would be cool if it was changing that much. At least in the villain department. like i totally believe we are fighting you know who before the game ends next March.

I think it would be pretty dumb if you fight Sephiroth in person considering he's basically a corpse encased in crystal at that point in time and all the "Sephiroths" you see before the Northern Crater are just Jenova using her powers to disguise herself as him.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
465.jpg

Don't change it.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The idea that some people can't get over this lady's death 20 years later it's honestly amazing to me.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nah it would feel a little too fan servicey, even for a game like this. I wouldn't mind them changing the point at which Aerith dies, but she needs to die and stay dead. That's the arc of her character and it would feel pandering to take that away.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Hell no. That would ruin a key and integral part of the story. Her death is integral and iconic in this series. So much character growth goes into her dyinf

This, bringing her back would work against the story. Say you bring her back to life. Great? What about the rest of the characters motivation? What happens to the motivation to stop Sephiroth and the threat he represents? What really does she have to contribute to the story outside of being a party member?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Have they EVER brought back dead FF character in anything ever that wasn't a spin off?

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so shocked that many believes that they will change or allow to change the main key element of the story and the biggest event in gaming in general.... like seriously?

Have some logic and sense SMH.

Apr 24, 2018
I thought about this when watching the E3 trailer...then instantly thought that Square would probably mess it up horribly and make her character so bad that I'd only wish for Aeris's original fate, anyways. It's usually not worthwhile to mess with a classic.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
As a non-canon what if type of deal it would be interesting otherwise it is deep betrayal of the core narrative the game is trying to tell. To put it bluntly, there is a reason why this death was so emotionally resonate to this day.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Well, as long as it's only choice I wouldn't be too bothered by it but it would play against the theme of the game. The original premise was for her to die because it was related to the idea of loss that Sakaguchi was experiencing at the time and makes the following quest even more important for the team, not to mention that it plays heavily into the future of the characters.

Then again, I would be lying if I said that I wouldn't at least try to keep her alive this time because I always liked Aerith as a character and her death was quite a sad moment that I already experienced.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Initially, my opinion was "No, thanks," but then I realized that believing that makes me somewhat of a hypocrite.

That's because I think Final Fantasy IV would be a better game if I could keep all the party members alive somehow. I would totally save Cid's life, negating his brave sacrifice.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Initially, my opinion was "No, thanks," but then I realized that believing that makes me somewhat of a hypocrite.

That's because I think Final Fantasy IV would be a better game if I could keep all the party members alive somehow. I would totally save Cid's life, negating his brave sacrifice.

But...Cid didn't die?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, the death of the Persona 3's MC is really well executed. I was actually pretty disappointed with Persona 3's story until that final scene. I think what I liked best about it is that they don't really say that he just died or that he was just holding on to stay alive until graduation due to the promise. But I felt like that is exactly what was happening in that moment.

What?! I don't remember that happening lol

Oct 28, 2017
What?! I don't remember that happening lol
At the end of the game when he is in Aegis' lap on the rooftop. He has a peaceful death. The game makes it ambiguous and it seems like he's just sleeping. But Aegis' words and the events in the late part of the game hint that he is dying.