• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
Totally fine with anything they do really, I've already played this game to death and the new parts will be what's interesting.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that, she was created to die. Last thing we need is crap like "lol the pocket watch you gave to Shinji protected him from dying" being in this remake.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It can't happen. Its Aerith that makes the lifestream save the planet at the end.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I mean at this point we've had Luigi playable in Super Mario 64, Shen Long unlockable in Street Fighter, and Sonic in Smash Bros.

Reviving Aerith is one of the last few remaining schoolyard rumors. So why not?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It'd ultimately lose its luster once the process became well-known, but I feel like it'd be kind of brilliant if the process to alter Aerith's fate was convoluted and not entirely obvious, much like the urban legends that existed growing up. It would be profound if she still played a very active role in the story after the fact, too -- like she actually still has character development and such beyond the original stopping point that swerves the story in other directions, like they actually make the effort to make it all meaningful.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I will stand up, eject the disc and throw it in the trash, that's how I'd feel.

Btw her name is Aeris, how many times we gotta correct you guys.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
That fate is a top 3, most iconic moment in gaming history and must not be fucked with.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
This will never happen. They are not changing the plot.

Hypothetically though, I don't agree with it. For many people who grew up with the game Aerith's fate was one of the most profound moments in gaming (and perhaps in any media) - it's integral to the FFVII experience.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
If only by saving her, it shockingly means Tifa dies or another party member dies instead

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
If it's completely optional (and maybe a secret route with some requirements) I don't see why not.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
The real fix is to push one of the second act characters in that direction statwise so it's not such a gaping hole in the game when she goes.

That's not a fix at all. You're supposed to feel like something is permanently missing in the party after Aeris dies. It would make her death way less meaningful if you could just sub in another mage character to fulfill the exact niche that she had.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, that's the only way to do it to have it still retain some of the impact of the original game. Fake the player out that she is going to survive only to kill her later on.
But would it? I feel like if she survived that scene because of your actions, everyone would just think "ok, she either dies later or there's a different ending now". It wouldn't REALLY surprise anyone.

That's part of my issue with changing it for shock value's sake, too. It wouldn't be nearly as shocking as the original anyway. Changing who dies, for example, would be more of a "well, ok" moment than a ":OOOOOOOOOOOOOO" one. People who would genuinely feel shocked are the same ones that somehow didn't know about the original death, and for them, Aerith dying would work the exact same way.

Everyone is expecting something to happen in regards to that moment, it wouldn't genuinely impact anyone.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But would it? I feel like if she survived that scene because of your actions, everyone would just think "ok, she either dies later or there's a different ending now". It wouldn't REALLY surprise anyone.

That's part of my issue with changing it for shock value's sake, too. It wouldn't be nearly as shocking as the original anyway. Changing who dies, for example, would be more of a "well, ok" moment than a ":OOOOOOOOOOOOOO" one. People who would genuinely feel shocked are the same ones that somehow didn't know about the original death, and for them, Aerith dying would work the exact same way.

Everyone is expecting something to happen in regards to that moment, it wouldn't genuinely impact anyone.

Clearly what they need to do is have absolutely nothing happen at that moment, you go on and play the game as normal and then later on, it's revealed that Aeris did die & Cloud is imagining that he's still adventuring with everyone but the shock of her death completely broke his brain. Then you shift to the rest of the party & keep going without Cloud.

EDIT: For extra effect, have Cloud block the fatal blow in the fake version of events.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fortunately Hojo has snuck aboard and quickly brings his leet genetic engineering skills to bear. "Hmm, if I lock Vincent in his room with a cactus, what will happen?"

Listen Hojo is an environmentalist, not sure what you're complaining about!

8cc1bced061eecf3aea16f9dd874ac28.gif

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly what they need to do is have absolutely nothing happen at that moment, you go on and play the game as normal and then later on, it's revealed that Aeris did die & Cloud is imagining that he's still adventuring with everyone but the shock of her death completely broke his brain. Then you shift to the rest of the party & keep going without Cloud.
This would be absolutely evil and amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Remakes with new elements and story changes are my favourite kind of remake, so I'd be fine if there's an option to save her. It would be a good excuse to play it more than once for different endings.

Oct 25, 2017
It'd ultimately lose its luster once the process became well-known, but I feel like it'd be kind of brilliant if the process to alter Aerith's fate was convoluted and not entirely obvious, much like the urban legends that existed growing up. It would be profound if she still played a very active role in the story after the fact, too -- like she actually still has character development and such beyond the original stopping point that swerves the story in other directions, like they actually make the effort to make it all meaningful.

If it's REALLY obscure, to the point where people are just saying "wait, she died in your game? She's alive in mine and I have no idea why", and the community just keeps testing stuff to figure out how to actually trigger it, that could be cool, actually.

It would be more of a gameplay thing than a story one, storywise I still don't like the idea, but the way it would bring people together replaying and testing stuff would be worth it, I think.

EDIT: For extra effect, have Cloud block the fatal blow in the fake version of events.
LMAO.

Not gonna lie, I'd be ok with that.

For maximum effect, have that block be triggered by your actions, some sidequest with Aerith or something, to make sure the player thinks they're saving her, even if they don't like it.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
That's not a fix at all. You're supposed to feel like something is permanently missing in the party after Aeris dies. It would make her death way less meaningful if you could just sub in another mage character to fulfill the exact niche that she had.
If that's the case, then it would be way more impactful if Sephiroth stabbed my Enemy Skill materia.

...Just saying

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I think telling an alternate story where Aeris lives and we get a more modern, less cliche, ending would be really cool and is the only reason I could see to remake this game.

But that isn't what the folk buying the remake(s) want. So either go full Path of Neo or stick to the source material.

May 26, 2018
Like they've lost their minds somehow. Aerith's death elevates the entire game from its foundation.

There is zero need to be dishonest or subvert expectations. Make. A good. Story.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Real talk though guys, SE have already said they're not changing the story, so this isn't gonna happen, it's kinda a moot discussion.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think telling an alternate story where Aeris lives and we get a more modern, less cliche, ending would be really cool and is the only reason I could see to remake this game.

But that isn't what the folk buying the remake(s) want. So either go full Path of Neo or stick to the source material.

It's too bad we got Advent Children because I thought the ending was wonderful, with Nanaki and his kids.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think it would be cool to have an option based off of the decisions you make (a la REmake) since it's pretty clear this isn't going to be 1:1 remake of the original based off some of the decisions already being made. How cool would it be after all these years of feeling and mourning Aerith's Death, that you can possibly save her completely? I think it would give the folks that are protective of the original story beats what they want while giving those of us that want a better outcome of Aerith's fate (possibly at the sacrifice of another?), that avenue if we want. I feel like it's somewhat of a big elephant in the room regarding the remake so why not have fun with our preconceived notions and expectations and do something different?

Last edited:

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They should let you save her.

And then have her die 5 minutes later after you think she's safe just to troll people who want her alive.

But yeah. She is meant to die. The only thing I'd be ok with is if there's a New Game + type thing where you can include her in your party but it has no affect on story or anything.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
This is an element I really feel like needs to be preserved. It's been a long time since I played through 7, but my recollection is that it really unifies the party, sparks some character growth, and gives everyone and you as a player an additional and more grounded reason to hate and want to stop Sephiroth.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
my thoughts.
we save her when she is normally supposed to die but because of this she becomes ill and dies shortly after. this would keep the impact even for veteran players. would be fine to have a post game quest to revive her but the consequence is the planet gets angry and unleashes even more powerful beasts to correct fate.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
What if Aerith had a twin sister? She could be called Aeris or something.

Only problem is that she'd be extremely boring, just like Aerith in all of the Expanded Universe garbage.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
To expand on my earlier idea, they could play it out this way:

Cloud clutches his head in pain and sees a vision of Aerith dying. After the vision, he manages to successfully block the fatal blow saving her. The game goes on for a few hours after this but little things feel... off. At a climactic moment, we suddenly cut to a scene with Cloud in bed mumbling crazily while the rest of the party talks about how he lost his mind when he failed to save Aerith. Then you play the scenario as Tifa trying to heal Cloud (earlier than in the original).

May 26, 2018
my thoughts.
we save her when she is normally supposed to die but because of this she becomes ill and dies shortly after. this would keep the impact even for veteran players. would be fine to have a post game quest to revive her but the consequence is the planet gets angry and unleashes even more powerful beasts to correct fate.

Even better, save her and get the bad end. And Cloud is obsessed with protecting her at all costs. He is silly with this quest, like Ahab and Moby Dick. It tears the team apart, and she commits suicide near the end in a desperate last ditch effort to save the world. She fails.

But hey, at least we get that kiss and the candles-blown-out scene the fans always wanted, right? Even if it's kind of twisted and there are tears of regret.

let the poor girl be

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
They're already splitting up the story into multiple releases. Asking for an alternate second half of the story is too much lmao.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
It's only ok if we use a time egg to return to that exact moment and replace her with a doll replica from a traveling circus.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
You guys know you can save her in regular FF7 if you get the yellow version of the underwater materia, right?

/s