• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Id dislike it. It's a pivotal part of the story. It's impactful and without it a ton of character motivation gets removed. Plus we know it's not changing so whatever.

Imagine if in the Lion King Remake Simbas dad doesn't die? It's the same thing, DUMB.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd enjoy it immensely if only for reading the rightful backlash it will receive from the community.

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty obvious that the second game will end with Aerith being killed and fighting the Jenova monster in a final fight. The last scene will be Cloud resting her at the bottom of the lake and you get to see the Hope materia descend down into the life stream with her.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did ERA agreed we shouldn't post spoilers about FF7 ?

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for making this an option in new game+. I played 7 after I finished 8 around the time it came out, and having been spoiled by 8's visuals and presentation, Aerith's death did nothing for me; so, really, I don't mind if they change it up, a bit, AFTER no doubt, with the modern tools at their disposal, making it really impactful for the player's first playthrough.

I blitzed through 7 again recently, and it worked better for me this time around because I can picture the characters in my head. Aerith is a fun character and it would be a treat to have her around for the whole game instead of just briefly.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Changing this one story detail would completely alter continuity of the entire franchise. Everything from Advent Children to Dirge of Cerberus, to even the remaining story events in the next half of the game would need to be completely rewritten.

At that point, its an entirely new game. One I wouldn't really wanna play, either.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I kinda expect more late game content regarding the relationship but not changing the actual event itself.

I'd be happy if they did something akin to Shadow Hearts Covenant.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I haven't played the game but people have posted the gif of her dying all over the internet for years now so yeah, I'd love to see something different.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be awful story-wise but they're already ruining that anyway so I'm kinda here for it at this point. Lol

Oct 27, 2017
Why remake a game if you want to tell a different story with entirely different gameplay. I'm convinced a large portion of people don't actually like FF7, they like the aesthetics. The story of people oppressed by giant corporations and living in poverty, the meaning of Aerith's death. They don't care, they want to watch pretty men fight in 4k and they want their video game crush to survive for a happily ever after ending. Of course, I doubt Square cares about FF7 either, and I won't be surprised if they gloss over everything except for the cloud x sephiroth stuff and change things for fan service/ shock value.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I figured they'd go this route honestly. Like Luna in Silver Star Story.
She never died nor was intended to die, though
(and while it did mean getting to spend more time as part of the group and subsequently meet later members of it by having her get on the boat rather than staying behind, she was still eventually whisked away by the villain anyway).
I mean, a lot of work went into the character model compared to the original. They should make more use of it.
With them expanding the story to have more content than the original, pretty sure they'll already be doing that.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wouldn't like it. It seems like a decision that would have been made to please fans more than one that suits the (established) story.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Player choice is in FF7 DNA. Who does Cloud date at Gold Saucer? Player choice. It would be shocking if they let the player affect who dies at that point in the game. They should absolutely do it. Then have a different ending depending on what happens. What if whoever Cloud dates dies?

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why remake a game if you want to tell a different story with entirely different gameplay. I'm convinced a large portion of people don't actually like FF7, they like the aesthetics. The story of people oppressed by giant corporations and living in poverty, the meaning of Aerith's death. They don't care, they want to watch pretty men fight in 4k and they want their video game crush to survive for a happily ever after ending. Of course, I doubt Square cares about FF7 either, and I won't be surprised if they gloss over everything except for the cloud x sephiroth stuff and change things for fan service/ shock value.
Totally.

Most of the people who are eating the remake up have never even played the original. They started with Advent Children and the crapilation and can't stand the graphics of the original which is why they're so excited to finally be able to play it.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
What if they make you save her, only for her to die anyway later in the game?
I'd laugh and laugh and laugh.
Especially if the death was some nonsense straight out of the Final Destination movies.

Cloud: "Hey Aerith. I picked this flower for you."
Aerith: "That's nice. Thank- *COUGH* *COUGH*

Later on...

Cid: "Who knew that the 'flower girl' would be deathly allergic to a #%@$in' flower?"

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
If they're confident that they can change it and make the story even better by doing so then by all means. It'd be a shock for sure!

However I feel like Aerith's death is so pivotal to the story as a whole that I can't see how she can survive. It's a huge moment. I feel like they're going to try and catch us out somewhat and her involvement in the game will likely change, but I can't see her surviving. That's one thing I don't think they'll change, but I wouldn't be unhappy to be wrong about that.

Player choice is in FF7 DNA. Who does Cloud date at Gold Saucer? Player choice. It would be shocking if they let the player affect who dies at that point in the game. They should absolutely do it. Then have a different ending depending on what happens. What if whoever Cloud dates dies?

If Aerith doesn't die, no Life Stream to stop Meteor

Guys Aeirth is going to die

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Really hard to say... a lot of the story hinges on her biting it, but it does make me wonder how the story changes if she didn't die. Hmm...

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I'm all for it if it doesn't involve time travel. Her coming out of the lifestream later on would work for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want to be able to save her because her death is like one of the most important part of the game's story. BUT I would like it if they let you save her and then kill her off anyway at a different point in the game. Just so it hurts more. I would like to be able to save either Biggs, Wedge, or Jessie as a secret though. Since we're probably not getting any of the original secret FF7 characters in the first part.

Nov 2, 2017
I could see her death being changed to later in the game. This way you keep the impact of her death and still have a way to keep her in more of the game.

Personally though, I'd be fine with it staying as is but who knows what we'll be getting by then.

Samuel

Oct 27, 2017
I've been advocating for this since the beginning. Let the events play out as they did, but have a secret post game sidequest to revive her.

Bringing back someone whose been dead for 20 years would be a monumental piece of fan service.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I would be great in a super difficult way to accomplish it, maybe only in a new game plus. Similar to the excaluibur II sword in FFIX, just not as stupidly restrictive originally.
Of course the real story would still be her diying, but new game plus being an lternative story would be cool.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Wouldn't make any sense, they'd have to really mess with the plot to do so, which they've already said they are keeping the main plot the same. Not to mention it would retcon the entirety of Advent Children.

I'd be mad because this would mean they lied about keeping the plot the same and I'd also think it'd ruin one of the best and most notable things about the game.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I don't see the point of doing this at all nor why anyone would want to just ripe out a core part of the story so much for bizarre fan fiction.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
If Aerith doesn't die, no Life Stream to stop Meteor

Guys Aeirth is going to die
You act like FF7 story is some sort of hard truth and not a work of complete fiction for entertainment purposes. They can write literally whatever they want, including new branching stories and alternate endings. Maybe if she doesn't die Meteor hits and you get this sad ending where the planet is in a ice age but Aeris is still there. Or maybe she just channels lifestream while alive and blocks meteor. They can write whatever they want so this idea that 'the story depends on it' is just narrow-minded.