• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
On the one hand, it would fundamentally change the course of events that come afterwards.
On the other hand, the best bae lives happily ever after with Cloud.

I'll take it.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
We kinda need Aerith to "become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" and clutch it with the lifestream at the end. Not like there are other Cetra's around who can get the job done.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely should not do that. And I don't think they will. They may do *other* dumb shit but I think they'll correctly keep Aerith dead so the game still has a clear single canonical story.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I would not mind if it was tied to a series of choices throughout the entire game (episode 1, 2 etc) up to that point.

Square Enix probably won't do that, so barring that a New Game Plus option would be the next ideal way to do it.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Aeris dying is like.... one of the most important aspects to the story šŸ˜

It would be cool in a second playthrough but she needs to die

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Nah, the death of the Persona 3's MC is really well executed. I was actually pretty disappointed with Persona 3's story until that final scene. I think what I liked best about it is that they don't really say that he just died or that he was just holding on to stay alive until graduation due to the promise. But I felt like that is exactly what was happening in that moment.

I hear you....

But I want that person to live

Oct 27, 2017
It would actually be really cool as a secret/difficult thing for NG+, though in a game like this that would mean a lot of extra voice work and motion capture for cinematics (assuming she wasn't just a mute character tagging along w/ no interactions, which would be lame). And the plot would have to change in some big ways too that are hard to imagine them investing in for NG+. Still....

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It would literally feel as forced as this:
DSAqGXvVoAEosSC.jpg

or this:
A35F6E48C1F6ADFEBDC20F08F0893BE3C85A0E62

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I would be pretty upset if they changed Aerith's fate.

Playing the original game back in 1997, it was absolutely shocking for a main character to die in this manner and not allow for them to return to the party later in the game. I mean, how could they kill her? She had a level 4 limit break and everything!

I spent the rest of the game searching every nook and cranny for the method of reviving Aerith, looked in all game guides, discussed it in an IRC chat room, but there's no bringing her back and by the end you have to accept it and move on.

This was a rather powerful message to me at the time, a dumb high school kid who was on the verge of losing a grandfather. I don't want to say that the death of a videogame character affected me more than losing my grandfather, but it absolutely better prepared me for dealing with loss and the permanence of it.

Also, you can't replace Tifa with Aerith and make it work. Cloud didn't go on a date with Tifa at the Gold Saucer after all...

he went with Barrett...

Raziel

Alt Account
Banned
May 28, 2019
Well sure. This is a remake so they could add in a lot of stuff that wasn't there. I still remember trying "fake" codes and methods from internet to get her back to the party

Deleted member 56773

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2019
Can't believe all the people saying they'd support it. That is a crucial part of the entire game, maybe even the most important part of the plot. You can't just change major aspects of art and call it a remake - that's not a remake, it's just a different thing entirely. If they did that the game would be ruined and I would not buy it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Why are people online jumping to conclusions about this.

"hmm black streaks around her.....this has to mean a revival scenario!!!"

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Appalling idea, a good remake should celebrate the best parts of the original. Aeris is the last of the cetra, it suits the lore that she must return to the planet and in a triumphant moment she helps stop meteor by becoming one with the lifestream and raising it.

If you want her to survive and miss the point, then I'd like to see Gaia get destroyed in the ending.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want it to change, but I would like some way to "carry on" her character/limit progression via another character, kinda like what happens
at the end of Red Dead Redemption 1
. Spoilered that just in case. LOL

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't consider what happened to her to be "that big of a deal", then you didn't understand the original story in the first place.

Truly wishing they never bothered explaining what those wisps were at all before the game came out, if only to avoid this hopeless bargaining.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just think, if they let us bring her back to life, the true hero GENESIS can be the one to summon the Lifeforce in the end to keep things consistent.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
I'd rather they just expand her ghost appearance later on instead.
*If you get the key to the slums via the digging mini game then head back to the church you can see her ghost for a short time

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Worst part is that it's going to be another 5 or so years before Square-Enix figures out what the hell they're going to do with Aerith.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna impact the game so much it probably shouldn't even be called FFVII anymore. I wouldn't be against it mind you (I consider the remake to be its own thing anyway, separate from the original), but it's such an important story beat, you can't just change it without consequence.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The moment holds it place in gaming history because there's nothing you can do to stop it from happening. It'd be foolish to mess with that.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
We kinda need Aerith to "become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" and clutch it with the lifestream at the end. Not like there are other Cetra's around who can get the job done.
Pretty much this. People seem to think that Cloud is the one who saves the day at the end, but it's actually Aerith who does. And she wouldn't be able to do it if she was still alive. It'd require a major rewrite of what Final Fantasy VII is about and I don't trust the developers to pull it off.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
She has to die for events to progress normally.

If anything was changed it would be how things ultimately end at the end so basically after most of the ending but even that is highly unlikely since it would mean Advent Children is not canon with the Remake.

-She could become a magical being that is the "voice of the planet" and the connection between the planet and all living beings

-A non canon post game questline to revive her and a end game dungeon

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I hope so. I want them to throw surprises in there. Everybody knows the original story.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather save Jessie, Biggs and Wedge and have them become travel buddies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From a gameplay perspective, I'd be all for it, as I always wished I could use Aerith longer. Game does not have a clear mage/healer archetype outside of her, despite relatively large cast, which is a shame.

From the narrative perspective it would depend entirely on how they pulled it off. Clearly it would change everything about the back half of the game, most notably the finale (holy/lifestream). Would be easy to screw up, and would really take us beyond the relative faith they've shown to the original so far.

Chrono Trigger idea -- Cloud sacrifices himself for Aerith, and Sephiroth joins team a la Magus. The real "bad guy" is then Jenova, not Seph. That would make people go apeshit X-)
The real fix is to push one of the second act characters in that direction statwise so it's not such a gaping hole in the game when she goes.

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine watching a Romeo & Juliet play where they both live and get married or something. That's basically what is being asked here. Death in a story is not a pizza topping that you can take or leave. A big theme in FF7's story is that there must always be hope even in the bleakest circumstances. While we're at it, let's have Biggs, Wedge, Jessie and Dyne all survive too. Actually, rewrite it so that Dyne didn't fall into a life of murder also. Can we have the people not die from the Sector 7 plate drop too?