• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about the whole Trump versus Twitter situation?

• I think they should ban him. Consequences be damned.

Votes: 667 58.2%
  • I think that they have every right to ban him but I don't think that would help the situation.

Votes: 280 24.4%
  • I don't think they have the right to ban him but I do think it would help the situation.

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • I don't think they have the right to ban him and I don't think it would help the situation.

Votes: 14 1.2%
  • I think that Twitter and Trump should both back down and let things go back to the way they were.

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Social media as a whole is a disease and Trump is just a symptom.

Votes: 177 15.4%

• Total voters

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
He's looking to be a martyr in his culture war. Banning him is what he wants. Twitter should add a permanent disclaimer that appears on his account that says, "this motherfucker is a racist liar and buffoon" or something to that effect.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Short of an outright banning, turning off likes, retweets, and replies to his tweets would be funny... Let him howl in a void.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
For me it comes down to responsibility. If I was Jack Dorsey I would feel culpable in all that has transpired.

It doesnt matter what he does with the ban. You ban him or you are partly responsible. It's as simple as that.

I get what you're saying but I feel like banning him now would be taking responsibility at the last possible moment, far too late to actually be of use to anyone. It would only incite more righteous anger in his base, and that's the kind of thing that gets them to the polls in the middle of a pandemic. What he does with the ban does matter when they've waited this long. They're already responsible for what he's done so far. Abdicating that responsibility and giving him more fuel would be the worst possible combination.

Short of an outright banning, turning off likes, retweets, and replies to his tweets would be funny... Let him howl in the a void.

The violence warning on his latest tweet makes it impossible to retweet apparently, so they're already partially there.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I honestly think he wants to be banned, so that he can cry "Censorship! Censoship!". Twitter adding these little moderation tags to his bullshit is 1000x better, because he doesn't get to play martyr and has to suffer someone wielding power over him.

Trump embarrasses himself most when he's angry. Let him be angry.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
They're well within their rights to ban him but they won't because he's too good for business. Big tech companies choose money over morals every time, this situation is no different.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think banning him would only work if his social media presence as a whole were to be banned. I'd rather him be on Twitter where they have at least showed they will check him since otherwise he can just flock to Facebook's open arms and T_D still exists.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What kind of legal action and on what grounds?

Zuckerberg is also not distancing himself. He clearly took a side with his recent comments.
Read this. It has to do with what Trump is trying to overturn and what Twitter could possibly give him the ammo to accomplish if they were to actually ban him.

www.nytimes.com

Legal Shield for Social Media Is Targeted by Lawmakers (Published 2020)

Section 230, from a 1996 federal law, was meant to protect young internet companies from liability. Lawmakers have threatened to change it.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I keep seeing Gab in his replies, desperately trying to persuade him to join their platform instead.
Apparently it's a haven for Neo-Nazis so he'd probably fit right in.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think they should slap a click through notice on every tweet that would get any other person banned simply stating the fact that the only reason he's not is because he's president and it's newsworthy but why it would otherwise run afoul.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Tbh I think they have finally started to do a good job.

Flagging his posts is such a huge insult to his ego but also millions of impressionable people will get a chance to see why the website they use so much, thinks he is wrong. Lead them to links where facts are presented, sites these people may have never been to thanks to their upbringing or the bubble they live in.

It will also set a precedent for social media to be more responsible in general (hence the knee jerk hate reaction from zukerberg).

If they ban him, then there will be another Twitter just for conservatives. It will do nothing but neatly divide social media that already can be a bubble in its present state with less chance for the other group to peak in.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
No not another executive order. if they continue to act like a publisher rather than a platform they could potentially open themselves up to legal action.

There is a reason why Zuckerbot is distancing himself so hard from this recent turn of events and it's not just because he is an asshole.
too bad free speech doesn't apply to private entities, only the government censoring you

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I get what you're saying but I feel like banning him now would be taking responsibility at the last possible moment, far too late to actually be of use to anyone. It would only incite more righteous anger in his base, and that's the kind of thing that gets them to the polls in the middle of a pandemic. What he does with the ban does matter when they've waited this long. They're already responsible for what he's done so far. Abdicating that responsibility and giving him more fuel would be the worst possible combination.

The violence warning on his latest tweet makes it impossible to retweet apparently, so they're already partially there.

I don't disagree with it being late, but it's still the right thing to do. I would have banned him after Charlottesville, personally. Every day after that Jack Dorsey is culpable for, and he will have to live with that. He can still ban him now, admit he should have done it earlier, and apologize. It's not too late to make a statement on his and his employee's behalf.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand it would be very satisfying to see him banned, on the other hand his account gets him negative PR cycles, self goals, and even into legal trouble.

So there's pros and cons.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care a whole lot about treating Trump equally. I think functionally it's probably the same or very similar, but that's not really my central concern. As the president of the United States, he is naturally in a unique position where his words have a global impact, so he should be approached based on that impact.

The advantage of keeping his words up is that it allows us to call them out. But not only does that absolutely require an active effort to point out the issues in his tweets, that isn't really a huge deal because Trump lying or being racist or giving approval to violence isn't new. He's done it before becoming president. We aren't gaining new perspective on him that way.

The advantage of removing his tweets is that it signals that they are abnormal and socially unacceptable. Trump has normalized white nationalism and various conspiracy theories, and banning him would both make it harder to do and make a statement that these things are not legitimate. That's what I think they should be banned.

Social media is not an innate problem in that it does have powerful positive value in impromptu reporting of serious situations. In the hands of underprivileged or minority groups, it can serve to drag issues into light.

What is a problem, however, is America's utter refusal to recognize hate speech legally and subsequently act on it. That allows American social media websites to take that same stance, leaving themselves to claim that the audience will resolve the problem while continuing ignoring the fact that it isn't working. With cultural values being what they are, sometimes that's the intention from the start with these platforms - see Reddit's giving awards to the creators of pedophilia communities or making claims about how pictures of dead babies is necessary for us to have good things.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I think it would be a good gesture, but he will platform somewhere else and the message will get out some how. However, I do think a lot of his followers will be way too lazy to make new accounts on another platform to see his bullshit.

Mar 30, 2019
I think banning him is the right way to go. His followers were always go to spin, martyr, and deify him anyways. They have done that for years now.

Banning him would piss him off the most because it's a large part of his day to day routine. He would be forced to look for alternatives and use his less convenient methods of speaking to his followers. Take his toys away, one by one.

I don't think it will happen because Twitter is already feeling the heat from all this. I'm open to being surprised though.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Also, Trump's base has already been emboldened because he's been emboldening them. If he was telling Nazis that they were very fine people for carrying out their racist rallies, where they're encouraged to be hateful and violent without any special provocation, having a provocation isn't going to change much.

What are they going to do, try to replace the media with their own state media? That's not new either. Trump was associated with Steve Bannon, and through that to Brietbart. He's been an avid promoter of Fox News. Both of these groups have been constantly making efforts to demonize all media that isn't part of their conservative bubble. The president's been crying fake news since forever. The effort's already existed this whole time.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I'm oscillating between the first and the last answer. He should have been banned years ago, consequences be damned, but damn if social media isn't a cancer by itself. I think it's pretty clear that if this piece of shit and his sectarian followers didn't have access to Twitter, he wouldn't have won the election in the first place.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Social media was a mistake IMO - I picked the last one.

You could try to tell me all day that it "brings people together" - but IMO it does the opposite to a higher degree.

I'd like to see Trump get banned, censorship discussions aside - he's a piece of shit and I'd love to see him throw a tantrum for being banned from Twitter.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ban him.

Strongly disagree with that last option. Social media are mostly shit, but they're a symptom themselves, like Trump. Trump is a symptom of white supremacy first and foremost. The moronic tech bro libertarianism is just another avatar of white supremacy, and they ultimately help each other. Social media are at best a signal booster, but the underlying issue is white supremacy.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ban him.

Strongly disagree with that last option. Social media are mostly shit, but they're a symptom themselves, like Trump. Trump is a symptom of white supremacy first and foremost. The moronic tech bro libertarianism is just another avatar of white supremacy, and they ultimately help each other. Social media are at best a signal booster, but the underlying issue is white supremacy.
Either way, at the end of the day it's giving a platform to too many fucked up people and IMO it's just made the world worse.

Not to mention how fucking fast misinformation makes its way through the world because of it.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I want to choose both options 1 and 6 in the poll.

Without Twitter, Trump wouldn't be president in the first place.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Why should there be consequences to banning just another user? His tweets are dangerous and inflammatory.

But if Trump had a spine he'd just ditch Twitter instead of using it to complain about it. Don't shit where you eat Donald.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Either way, at the end of the day it's giving a platform to too many fucked up people and IMO it's just made the world worse.

Not to mention how fucking fast misinformation makes its way through the world because of it.
I despise these companies. I just dispute the superficial causality at play here.

Oct 31, 2017
Banning him would prove the point that the media is out to get him, not banning him gives him the platform as a mouth piece.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Don't ban him because he'll just switch accounts. All of the government would be blocked eventually.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Banning him only furthers the divide. Doesn't help/solves anything in the long-term. If he's banned he'll probably find another place to spew garbage.

To cure this thought illness we must administer a proper antidote. I think Twitter side messages (when he post misinformation) is way more hurtful to him than straight up banning. If he is, then he'll probably spin it anyway into a "see, social media is corrupt" retoric.

Deeven

Jun 11, 2019
Sooo, as much as I would love to see Twitter outright banning his bigoted ass, I am not really sure if they are able to...

I am certainly not an expert and would love for someone to correct me on this, but as far as I understand it, his tweets are considered 'presidential records.' I'm mainly going by this wiki entry - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVFEFE_Act

The way I interpret this is, since Trump's tweets are "considered official statements by the President of the United States," they really can't be deleted willy-nilly.

As far as his account goes "@realDonaldTrump reply threads constituted a "designated public forum" akin to a public meeting, and therefore blocking users based on their political viewpoints violated their constitutional rights to freedom of speech." It seems to me that the 'designated public forum' part also implies that those tweets should remain open for people to discuss and comment on them.

Can anyone shed some light on how accurate this is?

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
No not another executive order. if they continue to act like a publisher rather than a platform they could potentially open themselves up to legal action.

Are you familiar with what section 230 protection is?

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this line of thought.

I'm not a lawyer but the language in Section 230 is relatively simple and clear; It states "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider" and only that. It protects Twitter and its users (or any platform) from being held accountable for other users' posts.

I.E. Twitter is not responsible for Trump's posts. Nothing else.

Trump agreed to Twitter's TOS when he signed up. They have no obligation to leave his posts up, or unaltered. They are a private entity and are allowed to police their platform to their own rules. Saying "we do not want to host your content unaltered on our platform because it breaks the contract you agreed to when signing up" is in no way "acting like a publisher" or taking on responsibility for what he said. He does not have the right to a Twitter account and Twitter does not act as a publisher by offering the platform nor by regulating it.

This bill is unfortunately not law yet because it has not been passed by both bodies, only introduced in the House.

cosmod

Feb 24, 2018
Sooo, as much as I would love to see Twitter outright banning his bigoted ass, I am not really sure if they are able to...

I am certainly not an expert and would love for someone to correct me on this, but as far as I understand it, his tweets are considered 'presidential records.' I'm mainly going by this wiki entry - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVFEFE_Act

The way I interpret this is, since Trump's tweets are "considered official statements by the President of the United States," they really can't be deleted willy-nilly.

As far as his account goes "@realDonaldTrump reply threads constituted a "designated public forum" akin to a public meeting, and therefore blocking users based on their political viewpoints violated their constitutional rights to freedom of speech." It seems to me that the 'designated public forum' part also implies that those tweets should remain open for people to discuss and comment on them.

Trump's tweets can't be deleted by the government, because the government has to preserve records. Twitter is not a government entity so can do whatever they want. I am not a government entity, so I can print out trumps tweets and light them on fire, if I wished.

Same with blocking people on twitter. The government can't block people from viewing official statements from the president. Twitter is a private company and can do whatever they want, including unplugging all the servers in all their data centers, which would shut down the public forum.

Oct 27, 2017
Ban his private account. It's one less place for his brand of dangerous idiocy to be seen. Yes he'll squeal about censorship and bias and bla bla bla but he's doing that anyway so you may as well shut down the main platform.

Then assuming he just switches to the official Whitehouse account, just add fact checking links all over everything posted from there and/or hide tweets that break the terms of service as Twitter have apparently started to (finally) do.

It's long overdue, well deserved and I assume will really wind the little turd up.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
and those people will follow him to whatever platform he would move on. I actually thinks that his rambles helps the opposition, showing daily how crazy, unfit and ignorant he is.

not all.
80 million is A LOT of people .... most of them are probably just follwing because he is there. It is easy to follow someone, it is much easier to keep following.

To register in a new social media just to follow someone is a HUGE act of energy most people will not do