• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean nowadays we have spinoffs and what not. But what if Paper Mario or Pokken were a mainline game is the only thing i can think is comparable today

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
isn't it kinda like Yooka-Laylee 1 to 2?
It went from being a collectable game like Banjo-Tooie, and then flipped the script to a top down overworld and then all sidescrolling gameplay

Phawx

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like we'd always get the same initial reaction. Same as Wind Waker.

It's one of those things where people's expectations are immediately dashed and the visible gut check can be seen in real time.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i think it really depends on how good is the end product

Breath of the Wild could easily fit into this consideirng how linear were previous 3d zeldas

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like we'd always get the same initial reaction. Same as Wind Waker.

It's one of those things where people's expectations are immediately dashed and the visible gut check can be seen in real time.
I have a theory, I call it the Zelda Theoram. The latest zelda is loved but the previous one is scorned. It only falls appart with Link to the past, and Majora Mask. Those are universally loved

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Breath of the Wild could easily fit into this consideirng how linear were previous 3d zeldas

As someone who ranks BOTW near the bottom of my favorite 3D Zeldas, I agree and this is a huge reason why. I grew up on and love the formula popularized by ALTTP and OOT. I want more of those, not games that go "back to the roots" of the series in what was ultimately a one-off for decades with Zelda 1.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
A change like Mario 2 might be more warmly received, since people complained that the New Super Mario Bros. games and Super Mario 3D World stuck TOO closely to the OG formula and took no risks.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time primed people for an open world zelda

Open world isn't a genre though. BOTW plays incredibly differently from OoT, both in game structure and mechanics. It's essentially the type of thing you're talking about. Not a full-on genre shift but a hard departure from the previous game in the series.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BotW was the natural evolution of 3D Zelda. Zelda II was not the natural evolution of 2D Zelda.

You throw in some semi-traditional dungeons and a few more cutscenes and you'd pretty much lose 99% of criticisms from the subset of hardcore Zelda fans that didn't like BotW.

I'd cry tears of joy for new games reminiscent of Super Mario USA and Zelda II btw. I absolutely adore those games.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If a mainline mortal kombat becomes a beat em up, would people get mad ?
it would depends on 2 factors

1) if there is a chance we get more games in the old style (the Resident Evil way .... i think the remakes made people much more accepting of FPS true horror Resident Evil 8)

2) if it is Shaolin Monks and not Mythologies Subzero =P

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably the only thing that would get me interested in another 2D Mario.

I know player's are able to build new\interesting\hack-y levels with Mario Maker, but for a new, 2D, Nintendo-made, Mario game, I need something really different from the NSMB series.
Not just a new type of platform, or new powerups, or new characters, but fundamentally new gameplay mechanics or structure.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
If a mainline mortal kombat becomes a beat em up, would people get mad ?
it would depends on 2 factors

1) if there is a chance we get more games in the old style (the Resident Evil way .... i think the remakes made people much more accepting of FPS true horror Resident Evil 8)

2) if it is Shaolin Monks and not Mythologies Subzero =P
Death_by_Degrees.jpg

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Remember how everyone reacted to Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts despite it being a 5 star game.

Like that.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think it depends on the game and what it's doing. Stuff like the aforementioned Yooka-Laylee and Darksiders have done genre switches like this, and most people didn't really seem to care much because they weren't super attached to the original to begin with. I think if Nintendo straight up did this with Mario and Zelda again most people would be happy because of how much of a change of pace it'd be.

But if, say, From made Dark Souls 2 an OoT-esque Zelda game as a followup I think people would have been pissed. Anything that's a revival of a series that has been dead for several years would go over pretty poorly as well (see Nuts and Bolts).

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely favorably by me. SMB2 is one of my favorites in the series and Zelda 2 is my favorite Zelda game.

I love bold sequels like those.

Nov 18, 2017
I think Doom Eternal kinda shows us how this would play out today. Some people swear by it and view it wholly as an upgrade over what came before and others are dissapointed that it isnt just Doom 2016-2

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
RE7 could be considered a big departure from the og formula. It depends on what you consider the RE-formula though.

I think a lot of fans considered RE7 a return to form and classic RE gameplay in a lot of ways after RE5 and RE6.

It's first person, yeah, but it's also way less action/shooting orientated and returned to a more adventure/puzzle thing.

Was my POV anyway.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
RE 4 was the RE series previous big departure and that was beloved, maybe these changes are more appreciated when the series is in a bad spot like RE was before 4 and before 7. Banjo-Kazooie hadn't yet made people upset over its formula when Nuts & Bolts arrived so people felt like they lost out on a good BK3. Meanwhile RE before 4 was more about people hoping the series would become good again and few would have expected a traditional RE4 to be any good.

I think it depends on the game and what it's doing. Stuff like the aforementioned Yooka-Laylee and Darksiders have done genre switches like this, and most people didn't really seem to care much because they weren't super attached to the original to begin with. I think if Nintendo straight up did this with Mario and Zelda again most people would be happy because of how much of a change of pace it'd be.

But if, say, From made Dark Souls 2 an OoT-esque Zelda game as a followup I think people would have been pissed. Anything that's a revival of a series that has been dead for several years would go over pretty poorly as well (see Nuts and Bolts).
Yooka didn't really label it as YL2 (and it probably helps that Impossible Lair is considered a muuuuch better game) and did Darksiders really deviate THAT much with 2? 3 was the one that got everybody annoyed and received a panning.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I would say look at Nuts & Bolts. An awesome and innovative title to the series that is constantly bashed and/or ignored.