• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017

I remembered this and I'm loving how this looks visually. It's the 3rd in the arcade series that began with Pokemon Battrio and then followed by Pokemon Tretta. All were by Marvelous and Takara Tomy.

These felt like the only thing resembling the Pokemon Stadium series for a long time after Pokemon Battle Revolution was the swan song on consoles. Even now with the 3DS games and Let's Go on Switch, this game still seemingly retains that more cinematic feel that Pokemon Stadium and its successors had.

I'm curious what others feel about the graphics, art-style, etc of Ga-Ole and if they'd be fine with Gen 8 on Switch having any similarity visually. Pokken's another example, but I don't see Game Freak going for that more realistic take.

Last edited:

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Looks alright. Doesn't show trainers though, and I'd hope they're not chibi and plastic like Let's Go's trainers. I'm more concerned with the world design than the graphics, though

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Let's Go already looks similar in terms of battle shaders. Maybe the backgrounds do need a bit more work.

Though, don't expect that level of animations.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokemon look fine. The thing that will make or break the look of Gen 8 is the world and character design.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want anything that isn't cel shaded with outlines.

Ni no Kuni, Little Witch Academis, Guilty Gear, Naruto Storm.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I want it to look like a 90s anime or sugimoris watercolor style, preferably the latter

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be impressed but I wouldn't be upset either.
I'm more interested in it looking like Town, their other project that people suspect is a technical warm up for gen8.

Nov 4, 2018
If Gen 8 doesn't have a substantial visual improvement from Gen 7 and sticks closer to the basic grid style they used for LGPE, then consider me disinterested.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Nah, I want Unreal 4 with realistic graphics cranked to the max of whatever the Switch can reasonably output

I've seen Pokemon with realistic fur textures, I can't go back now

This is clearly a joke if it wasn't obvious

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The sophistication of the lighting and animation in that trailer is more than I'd expect from Game Freak. It's probably gonna look like Let's Go. Possibly with some added bells and whistles or a less chibi artstyle.

And that's fine with me. I think people really aren't appreciating the wow factor of an HD Pokemon game enough. Like, the last one was 240p and jaggy, lol.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I want Unreal 4 with realistic graphics cranked to the max of whatever the Switch can reasonably output

I've seen Pokemon with realistic fur textures, I can't go back now

This is clearly a joke if it wasn't obvious

This but not as a joke.
Detective Pikachu was life changing.
It's all I can think about.

Nov 1, 2017
It looks way closer to acceptable for a full-priced console JRPG in {current_year} than LGPE, but the backgrounds still look too basic.

and Blastoise's cannons would be too hard to animate for GameFreak

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll either look like this, or it'll look like Town.

That game seems like it's something of a blatant experiment on new graphics techniques.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Would be neat, but I'm already used keep expectations low.

And how about that, Blastoise use it's cannons properly. Wonder if people would still call this nitpicking.

Last edited:

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping it looks like a more detailed/polished Town personally, I'd be ok with this though. Worst I can think of is it looking the same as LGPE :/

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It looks all right. Of course I'm always hoping for something more impressive, with a little more visual flair. But I'm expecting something like this and it would be fine.

Anyway, putting pure visual fidelity aside, I'm more interested in the world design. Having the world designed as organically as Xenoblade (for example), is what would impress me the most.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
This is a game that spends all its focus on battles and temporary spectacle. That's nothing like the amount of resources that would go into making a full game.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a game that spends all its focus on battles and temporary spectacle. That's nothing like the amount of resources that would go into making a full game.

Gamefreak should just rip the animations from this then. All the 3D games already share the models and Gamefreak would clearly rather spend their time on flashy nonsense like z-moves and Amie reactions while ignoring other more pertinent animations

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak should just rip the animations from this then. All the 3D games already share the models and Gamefreak would clearly rather spend their time on flashy nonsense like z-moves and Amie reactions while ignoring other more pertinent animations

Are they more pertinent? A lot of casual people like the amie/refresh type stuff and probably couldn't care less about how flashy attacks look. Z moves I agree are over the top ridiculous but probably also appeal on a casual level because they look like final fantasy summons. What im trying to say is that the cutesy stuff sells Pokemon while the attack animations not being super impressive seems like something extra.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

This honestly fits the definition of "flashy nonsense" more than anything. I mean, moves still around directly connecting with opponents. You still primarily see one side of the battlefield at a time. All that's flashier is the individual animations because that's what they decided to prioritize for this because that's all it has going for it otherwise.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want something bold like this:

Detective-Pikachu-Every-Pokemon.jpg

OR:

3D Sugimori watercolor aesthetic:
uKnL3LO.gif

We know what the most direct adaptation of Pokemon into 3D looks like, it's been done. I want to go, "Wow!" when I find a new Pokemon, let's get some wonder going. Pokémon Ga-Olé is fine, OP, and I wouldn't be upset or anything if it looks like that, but I wouldn't be too excited either.

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

OR:

3D Sugamori watercolor aesthetic:
uKnL3LO.gif

We know what the most direct adaptation of Pokemon into 3D looks like, it's been done. I want to go, "Wow!" when I find a new Pokemon, let's get some wonder going. Pokémon Ga-Olé is fine, OP, and I wouldn't be upset or anything if it looks like that, but I wouldn't be too excited either.

I agree with this. If they're smart they've planned ahead to make Gen 8's visual style mirror the Detective Pikachu movie's, because I think that is going to blow the fuck up next summer and you'll have a wave of people who haven't even thought about Pokemon in ten years suddenly itching to buy a Switch and get back on that Ponyta. You want to have this game waiting for them in stores right around the time Detective Pikachu hits Blu-ray.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

OR:

3D Sugamori watercolor aesthetic:
uKnL3LO.gif

This, this so much. Something bold and new.

Thankfully it seems like they are watching how much the movie does and will adjust accordingly, the same way they noticed Pokemon Go's $$$ and adjusted accordingly.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Detective Pikachu absolutely looks great, but that visual style paired with the Switch's hardware constraints would produce an abomination. The cutesy 3D art they've done recently is just fine. The dream is a Sugimori-style cel shaded look.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
There is no way Gen 8 is going to have a realistic art direction like Detective Pikachu.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I'd love the movie art style, the switch wont be able to make anything even close to resembling that. They'll look awful.

I'm just crossing my fingers for an improvement on Let's Go. I don't expect a big jump though.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking Gen 8 will have a more animesque style with outlines and cell shading, since things generally seemed to be trending towards that direction. Probably not too dissimilar other than that, though.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone expecting "bold" from gamefreak should stop now.

I expect the same, only the overworld and textures will see some improvement.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Also I find it kind of insane that some people are considering a realistic style similar to detective Pikachu to be even on the table. It's almost certainly not.

Nov 23, 2017
I agree with this. If they're smart they've planned ahead to make Gen 8's visual style mirror the Detective Pikachu movie's, because I think that is going to blow the fuck up next summer and you'll have a wave of people who haven't even thought about Pokemon in ten years suddenly itching to buy a Switch and get back on that Ponyta. You want to have this game waiting for them in stores right around the time Detective Pikachu hits Blu-ray.
No way game freak is taking after a movie made in the west that wasn't even greenlit until after gen 8 started development...sorry.