• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
One of the better ways to implement a Souls-Easy mode is that when you die; you have the option to resurrect right at your place of death and have enemies not respawn. The downside is that your 'Souls' currency cannot be reclaimed again, or can only be half reclaimed.
How would this work for bosses? Would you spawn outside the boss arena or a bit before?

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
An easy mode would split the heavens, hearkening the release of the woeful cries of thousands of elite pro players, sundering their e-peens to the smallest of wisps.

Also, would bear zero repercussions to the enjoyment of their game that isn't played on easy mode.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
The exact gosh darn same way the "normal" mode would fit into the narrative.

You can still make a world oppressive and challenging and dark through world design, lore, music, and enemy design. It doesn't matter if an enemy kills you in 1 hit or 10 hits, it wouldn't detract from the overall story they're trying to tell.

How many games that are praised for their narrative (Last of Us, Uncharted, etc.) have dissonance like this where a character can be shot 300 times and be fine, but once it's a "cutscene" it's for real? It's just like that.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I mean there's absolutely no need to be mean or condescending about this. What is it about people wanting greater accessibility and to choose their own level of challenge that just makes other people like yourself come up with the stupidest statements and feel the need to attack the character of people that also simply want to be able to play the games they supposedly love so much?
LOL, that wasn't my intention. (Locking easy mode behind normal mode is delicious in its irony.)

And I think it would be super funny to play through a Souls game dressed as a clown and one-hitting all the enemies!

(This is all just having fun and isn't really responsive to your question.)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like it's literally as simple as this.

I can play Souls games and beat them with decent death rates nowadays. That's me, someone who's been playing them for five years now. I can't beat Dark Souls III and do find it too difficult, but I also think it's a dumb bullshit game that sucks so even though I am capable of learning the reactions and patterns of particular segments, I don't want to because the whole game is super goddamn boring.

Someone else might just not be good enough to play Souls on my level, in which case they get an Easy Mode because they want to play this super cool game everyone tells them is rad, and instead of hitting a brick wall that is a Fair and Honest challenge for me, they get a mode that provides them that same level of Fair and Honest challenge. That's one avenue to approach this.

The other is in service to players with physical impairments, so they can play Souls on a level that allows them to enjoy it and provide them the same challenge on a level they not only can handle, but can actually interact with.

What is broken exactly? Why do games need to appeal to everyone? You realize the developer has decided not to include an easy mode in any of the games in this series/vein and is quite successful in spite of that fact?

I'm not singling anyone out, but I don't get why people feel entitled to an easy mode, or the people who feel a need to champion on the behalf of disadvantaged gamers or whatever. The virtue signaling around this topic is so weird. Fans who applaud the difficulty structure are deemed gatekeeping assholes. We don't decide anything we just like the games as they are.

It's because I have a mental disability and my life is severely impacted by it, so I do a lot of thinking about accessibility and accommodation.

It's not about the sanctity of your electronic toy, and cut your bullshit about virtue signaling. It's degrading to the both of us.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Nah that's fine and I even agree. Was just pointing out the things you listed are two different things. Can Souls games have more Accesibility? Yes and they sometimes do such as changing the MP modes or adding the ghosts to Sekiro. Does that mean everyone will be able to beat it? No.

I think a big issue with this conversation is that people hear "Accesibility or Easier" mode and assume that means from is going to cave and make a god mode or something which isn't the case. Since they've already been making the playing field easier in their games in their own ways but it gets ignored.
I understand what you're saying and agree. I personally haven't played Sekiro because from what I've read I think it would be too hard for me, but that's ok. I've beaten Demon's Souls a couple of times but that's mostly through brute force and over levelling, I'm not very good at the games.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
The assumption would be that those on easy mode can't be invaded and won't interact with others online.
Maybe easy mode characters would still be able to read and make messages, but wouldn't be able to summon help (or maybe only summon 1 person?) and cannot be invaded.

I know a lot of people would trade PVP for an easy mode.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
As you say, it's one of the biggest game series of the last decade, they don't need to expand their audience. They've hit on a formula that works and clearly has appeal.
And I would like more people to feel comfortable approaching the series. If a half damage toggle, free summons toggle, etc would do that then good. Like outside of Sekiro I just summon or grind my way through the games if I don't beat a boss in the first few tries for the most part and tons of players already experience the games that way. I see very little difference in experiences between just rolling around while two dudes clobber a giant tree for me and clicking 1/2 damage taken in a menu.

And have you sat yourself and think damn maybe Souls games have a following and a fan base because they are different, because they are something special. That bring a community together to think and talk how to unlock secrets how some items work how to beat x boss or x mob. Because the souls games are a tight and encroaching experience of dread. Where every system is intertwined in a way that they way you play affects the world itself, the monsters the npc's. That the first boss will teach you your shortcomings as a player. That the game slowly teaches you how tu parry how to dodge etc. not because an arbitrary difficulty setting.

As a player you don't have to learn most of that though. I play largely for the world and monster designs and just brute force or summon my way through. Even with Sekiro I largely just looked up guides and AI exploits for the tougher fights. Some people just want to see col stuff.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
It's normal 99% of the time but it takes two seconds to consult the Internet. Also there's plenty of players for multiplayer across difficulties. These are lame reasons not to have an easier difficulty.
No, some games are designed better on Hard or some other mode. I felt this way about Resident Evil 8. Also, it is not as simple as a Google search to determine a nuanced thing such as that. I'd prefer that developers spend their time balancing one focused experience.
Also, "there's plenty of players". Where are you getting that from? At launch that might be true, but after a couple months?
Regardless, FromSoftware isn't going to add difficulty modes.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe easy mode characters would still be able to read and make messages, but wouldn't be able to summon help (or maybe only summon 1 person?) and cannot be invaded.

I know a lot of people would trade PVP for an easy mode.

That's actually a way better alternative than cutting the online altogether, or maybe enable summons but disable invasions for Easy Mode players.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
I mean there's absolutely no need to be mean or condescending about this. What is it about people wanting greater accessibility and to choose their own level of challenge that just makes other people like yourself come up with the stupidest statements and feel the need to attack the character of people that also simply want to be able to play the games they supposedly love so much?

Too many other instances of game series sacrificing something it's known for(and made it popular in the first place) for more sales, only for it to destroy the series as a result?

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
If I want to make a game that has difficulty and challenge as it's primary gameplay pillar then that's my choice and that is what the game is meant to be. If I don't want to include an easy difficulty, I should not be criticized for it, it's just not a game for everyone everywhere in all walks of life.

Not sure why there is always so much debate around this and I am a semi disabled gamer myself.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
It's also hilarious how many people tread the hypothetical addition of an "easy mode" as a complete and utter removal of a "normal" or "hard" mode.

I don't think people are asking for Elden Ring or Dark Souls 4 or whatever to ONLY have an "easy mode", but for it to be an option. Nothing would stop you from being able to select the non-"easy mode" and confronting the challenges and all that stuff that's so important to people who oppose difficulty options.

Heck, even add a little wartermark to "normal mode" screens where it puts a little trophy on so you know you're playing the "real" game. Totally not gatekeeping. Or do the inverse and add a watermark to "easy mode" where it has a baby sucking on a bottle so you know whoever is posting that image is a wussy casual who isn't a "real gamer" like you who plays the game "as the developer intended".

The biggest of all /s in that last paragraph btw

eldenjon

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
It's because I have a mental disability and my life is severely impacted by it, so I do a lot of thinking about accessibility and accommodation.

It's not about the sanctity of your electronic toy, and cut your bullshit about virtue signaling. It's degrading to the both of us.
I swear this is same moral high ground / victim reaction I get any time I make this argument. Guess what? I have a mental disability too, that's honestly not a unique characteristic in gaming audiences. I like that I can't just slide the easy toggle when these games get tough, and the sense of accomplishment I get from persevering so shoot me I guess.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear this is same moral high ground reaction I get any time I make this argument. Guess what? I have a mental disability too, that's honestly not a unique characteristic in gaming audiences. I like that I can't just slide the easy toggle when these games get tough, and the sense of accomplishment I get from persevering so shoot me I guess.

Then don't use it, as it is clearly not intended for you.

It's for the kind of person who cannot do the same things you and I can, so now they get a way to experience the same joys we do.

Too many other instances of game series sacrificing something it's known for(and made it popular in the first place) for more sales, only for it to destroy the series as a result?

Giving an option that has no impact on the existing playerbase is literally the same as removing a series' unique identity in service of chasing trends. Exactly the same, no difference whatsoever.

Oct 30, 2017
Any sort of easy mode ought to be relegated to offline only. And even then, that's pushing players down a path that's very limiting. They might get half way through the game and then realize they'd want to play with friends, or do PVP, or they don't need the easy mode. And then they should have to start over.

I don't want people coming into my world who cruised through the game on easy mode. They were able to level up and get certain items with significantly greater ease.

I don't take the idea of "more options are always better". Most developers don't choose to include God modes in their games. If a developer chooses to not include that, I don't think they are unreasonable for doing so.

I'd rather FromSoft stick to what they are doing and offer more resources to make the games more accessible. More Co Op. More exploitable weaknesses. More weapons designed to cheese certain bosses. Maybe more favorable spawn placement. Secret ways to destroy bosses. Fast load times. Etc.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Giving an option that has no impact on the existing playerbase is literally the same as removing a series' unique identity in service of chasing trends. Exactly the same, no difference whatsoever.

You're right, it's not the same. At the same time, yo can't say with certainty that needing to put in an easy mode wouldn't negatively effect core game decisions making a worse experience.

Seem to recall Dead Rising losing the timer aspect to make things easier, and, well…

eldenjon

Banned
May 15, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns of Accessibility
Then don't use it, as it is clearly not intended for you.

It's for the kind of person who cannot do the same things you and I can, so now they get a way to experience the same joys we do.
So.... like...play a different game? Maybe come to terms with the fact that the world doesn't revolve around you or them? IDK, but this line of reasoning is genuinely futile. I can think of a thousand better things to get upset about.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
The exact same way hard mode played in in DS2, trigger it in game, changes drops(worse), exp(worse), how much damage enemies does and how hard they hit, etc...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JRPGs are mostly games where shit is meted out through a menu with little reaction time needed and those games still remember to give difficulty options, as if players wanting more or less challenge can be catered to.

Any sort of easy mode ought to be relegated to offline only. And even then, that's pushing players down a path that's very limiting. They might get half way through the game and then realize they'd want to play with friends, or do PVP, or they don't need the easy mode. And then they should have to start over.

I don't want people coming into my world who cruised through the game on easy mode. They were able to level up and get certain items with significantly greater ease.

I don't take the idea of "more options are always better". Most developers don't choose to include God modes in their games. If a developer chooses to not include that, I don't think they are unreasonable for doing so.

I'd rather FromSoft stick to what they are doing and offer more resources to make the games more accessible. More Co Op. More exploitable weaknesses. More weapons designed to cheese certain bosses. Maybe more favorable spawn placement. Secret ways to destroy bosses. Fast load times. Etc.

Don't you think designing a game in such a way that its sole difficulty level has to appeal to as many players of multiple skill levels as possible is going to cause a decline in the quality and challenge of these games moreso than a game designed specifically for high difficulty that is then scaled down in service of less experienced players?

Like the Psychonauts 2 thread had folks complaining that they'd feel compelled to toggle on God Mode, you think anyone would avoid using a specific weapon designed to cheese a boss?

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I don't think an offline (or messages/bloodstains only) easy mode would change my experience of any narrative, meta- or otherwise

I think people playing on easy will know that they are playing on easy. No need to come up with a story about it

I would just appreciate the extra options. I tend to be in favor of more options even if I don't use them

sku

Feb 11, 2018

Exactly. And this is what they have been doing. It already seems certain that this trend will continue with Elden Ring, given the pokemon-style summons that you can supposedly carry with you and the open world that will allow you to go somewhere else when you get stuck. Difficulty modes arent the best way to implement difficulty for most games in my opinion, so it's ridiculous that this conversation is always so binary. FromSoftware knows what they are doing and what is best for their game.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't need to?

But, you're not getting an Easy Mode anyway. So, the conversation is moot. Either learn or get it on PC with trainers.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Likely one of the most pointless thought exercises we gratuitously engage in here. Souls will never have an easy mode, and as such this won't ever matter.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, it's not the same. At the same time, yo can't say with certainty that needing to put in an easy mode wouldn't negatively effect core game decisions making a worse experience.

Seem to recall Dead Rising losing the timer aspect to make things easier, and, well…

That sounds like Dead Rising threw out something its core playerbase liked in the face of declining interest as opposed to finding a way to creating separate experiences for different skill levels.

Like I agree Dead Rising kinda needs the timer, I wouldn't want to play Majora's Mask without the timer, but this comparison is apples and oranges.

So.... like...play a different game? Maybe come to terms with the fact that world doesn't revolve around you or them? IDK, but this line of reasoning is genuinely futile. I can think of a thousand better things to get upset about.

Imagine being so shitty at creating art that you design something that fundamentally excludes certain people from enjoying it.

It doesn't need to?

But, you're not getting an Easy Mode anyway. So, the conversation is moot. Either learn or get it on PC with trainers.

The amount of pride y'all take in knowing some people don't get to beat the same video games as you is wack tbh

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of pride y'all take in knowing some people don't get to beat the same video games as you is wack tbh

What are you talking about? I reiterated that OP's post is nonsense, an Easy Mode doesn't need a narrative justification. However, even still it doesn't matter because FROM isn't going to make one. So, if you want Easy Mode buy on PC and install trainers. Otherwise, there's nothing else that can be done except try to learn the game.

That is clearly disingenuous though. If it's so shitty would you even care?

Schrodinger's Dark Souls.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
They're wrong when they make their games so poorly that it fundamentally excludes certain interested audiences from playing, yeah.

Like, you've got people who are physically incapable of dealing with the combat in Souls games. It's okay that they get a special tweaked mode for them.
It's also OK that From don't want to make a tweaked mode. I disagree that their games are made poorly, they are intentionally targeting a certain audience knowing full well it excludes other potential audiences. There's nothing wrong with that.

Oct 30, 2017
Don't you think designing a game in such a way that its sole difficulty level has to appeal to as many players of multiple skill levels as possible is going to cause a decline in the quality and challenge of these games moreso than a game designed specifically for high difficulty that is then scaled down in service of less experienced players?

Like the Psychonauts 2 thread had folks complaining that they'd feel compelled to toggle on God Mode, you think anyone would avoid using a specific weapon designed to cheese a boss?
It's definitely a balancing act. Fortunately, the enthusiasts do get themselves into the NG+ realm where they can continue to challenge themselves. So even if the first playthrough has lots of options to beat bosses and its not too hard, the next time around may still be hard.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not ignore the fact that every Souls game in existence (sans Sekiro) already has multiple ways to create somewhat of an "easy mode". NPC and player summons, magic, grinding, big shields are all means to make the game, vastly easier.

It's super weird to me, that unless a game has an option that is like "-50% enemy dmg, +50% player dmg" to allow you to tank and buttom-spam through everything is seemingly not valid in terms of difficulty options.
Half the posters in these threads: "But let's."

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine being so shitty at creating art that you design something that fundamentally excludes certain people from enjoying it.
There's plenty of literature that's not certainly meant to be enjoyed by novice readers.
I don't exactly see authors rushing to publish spark notes versions of their books.

The souls community is generally pretty supportive. If you were to ask a subreddit for help, you'll be met with tips on how to beat an area. People will critique your build. People will offer to co op with you. People may offer to donate some weapons/items.
The community is quite supportive.

I've co oped entire Souls games with noobs to the series. I actively want people to enjoy the experience.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about these discussions that makes no sense is that people against difficulty and accessibility modes aren't the people who would be affected by them, why even participate then? There aren't any games which have been made worse because they have accessibility settings. And those who say "Dark Souls already has easier and accessibility options baked into the game", what if people need more? What about those who cannot keep up with the game regardless because of a disability? Why support some accessibility but then draw a line at "too much" of something in the game that already doesn't affect you? If you're truly supportive of accessibility, more wouldn't affect you.

It speaks volumes that people are even saying "Fromsoft will never include them anyways". If you say that, then it's literally admitting that you're only here to debate something that not only doesn't affect you, but also in your own words, is something that doesn't have a chance of existing. It's admitting that you don't even have any reason to come into these threads other than to tell people to stop expressing their desire to have more difficulty and accessibility options.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is clearly disingenuous though. If it's so shitty would you even care?

This is definitely a response to a thing I said and not a goalpost shift to avoid acknowledging what has actually been written.

I struggle to think of any book, painting, or movie that doesn't exclude someone from experiencing it.

We got braille and audio books, we got closed captioning for the hearing impaired.

Sounds to me like games are being lapped, and moreover if the ability to make that change is there to the detriment of literally nobody, then there's no good reason not to do it.

It's also OK that From don't want to make a tweaked mode. I disagree that their games are made poorly, they are intentionally targeting a certain audience knowing full well it excludes other potential audiences. There's nothing wrong with that.

There is absolutely something wrong with that.

Like, I shouldn't need an example that is sensible to literally everyone of sound moral fiber like "but what about players with disabilities", the fuck y'all so worried about folks you don't know playing Easy Mode for??

There's plenty of literature that's not certainly meant to be enjoyed by novice readers.
I don't exactly see authors rushing to publish spark notes versions of their books.

That sounds like an example wherein I could, theoretically, improve myself to the point where I can read a piece of advanced literature, as opposed to this situation where the mechanical difficulty of this video game, a medium where progress is meted out through the actions of the player, can be stifled by a player who physically cannot perform the same way as large amounts of the audience.

Moreover, if a game can be tweaked in a way a book cannot, that sounds like a leg-up for games more than a reason for them to be held back.

What are you talking about? I reiterated that OP's post is nonsense, an Easy Mode doesn't need a narrative justification. However, even still it doesn't matter because FROM isn't going to make one. So, if you want Easy Mode buy on PC and install trainers. Otherwise, there's nothing else that can be done except try to learn the game.

Schrodinger's Dark Souls.

That sounds like a reason to keep talking about it, then, instead of throwing my hands up.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Man, some of you folks take Dark Souls WAY too seriously. And I love Dark Souls.

An easy mode doesn't need narrative justification. Good lord.

eldenjon

Banned
May 15, 2018
This is definitely a response to a thing I said and not a goalpost shift to avoid acknowledging what has actually been written.
No it was me pointing out a contradiction, and puzzling over the argument you were trying to make. You called it art. Art is highly subjective and not really enjoyed by everyone or created with that intention most of the time.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it was me pointing out a contradiction, and puzzling over the argument you were trying to make. You called it art. Art is highly subjective and not really enjoyed by everyone so...

Art has the capacity to be enjoyed by as many people as it possibly can, and then that capacity is measured by subjective interpretation.

Which is probably a lot different than "I would like to play this game, but I physically cannot keep up with its demands."

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'll still say an "easy mode" goes against FROM'S design at it's core. Not every piece of media is meant to be consumed by everyone. I respect however the creators want to design their game whether easy mode is there or not.

Oct 29, 2017
Not gonna lie, I think it would be a hilarious troll by the devs if an Easy Mode toggle was added, but it was still considered too hard.

But back on topic, I don't really see the need for a metanarrative reason for easy modes, even though the Souls-games already do kind of have it (as mentioned in the thread already) in the form of summoning, etc. I realize it isn't the same though, as having someone else come in to do the challenging work for you is different from overcoming it by yourself.

I also don't think an easy mode needs to be in every videogame, but I wouldn't be up in arms with its inclusion, however.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer if they'd contextualize any would be difficulty/accessibility options, but I don't think it's a necessity. While I think something akin to RE4's system for handling difficulty would be ideal, there's nothing wrong with picking an easy mode from a menu.

The difficulty isn't the draw for me when it comes to these games (though it can be incredibly rewarding). For me, the Souls games are about exploring the wonderful levels and enjoying the ambience and environmental storytelling that From Software is so excellent at. I'd love to see new players appreciate those aspects if the difficulty of enemy and boss encounters can be off-putting.