• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
True Backward compatibility for all ps generations.

The amount of legacy with the PlayStation platform can be a real good carrot on a stick.

itshutton

Nov 1, 2017
Wrong.

630x.jpg

Holy shit, I forgot about that!

I think the 2 years of near enough silence are designed to do exactly the above. There must be a line of quality exclusives being worked on; Horizon 2, God of War 2; Gran Turismo; Demons' Souls Remastered.

That would be enough.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully massive production thus massive stock at launch. Itd be nice, and unprecedented, if everyone who was willing to pay got one at launch. Instead of the preorder mad dash, scalpers, and 6 month snatch and grab as stock trickles in.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Price is always the most important thing for mass market console cause what happens with sales of, let's say, $499 console after core gamers bought it already, 6-9 months later in 2021?

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
With lots of new interesting IP's in the first few years.
sequels!!!!!!!!

Like others said, it's probably marketing talk for "look now we have BC too!!" (and only with the PS4).

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
My best guess would be by keeping the price low, and offering trade-inbs. But it would be expensive as fuck.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
True Backward compatibility for all ps generations.

The amount of legacy with the PlayStation platform can be a real good carrot on a stick.
Yeah with full PAL and NTSC PS1, PS2 and PS3 BC it would make me jump in day 1.

But mess it up so I can't run my imported NTSC discs on my PAL console or force me to buy digital PAL versions and I would get cranky and go into full vote-with-my-wallet mode.

Legacy support needs to be perfectly implemented with great care or they could just as well ignore it all together.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
lol people honestly believe they are gonna get a 399$ ps5 with 12+tf rdna?

Xsx/ps5 are 499$ minimum

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If the backwards compatibility is full blown allowing 4K60FPS on PS4 titles I'll be all over it like a rash. It's probably the biggest draw card for me to buy it at launch even more so than the launch titles. Really hope Sony don't drop the ball when it comes to that functionality otherwise I'll probably wait the 1-2 years instead.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am expecting a huge first year for first party

Spiderman 2 and Horizon 2 comes to mind, and considering the first one of those sold 15+ million and 10+ million respectivelly, they will move A LOT of hardware

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This generation is harder to predict, we don't know prices & we don't know about Lockhart 100%, I could see a $300 Lockhart absolutely killing it vs the likely $500 PS5. Who knows.
If this gen was a $400 PS5 vs $400-500 Next Box like we thought originally, i would have said Sony have got it in the bag, start investing.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Have the best console at the best price with backward compatibility and also must have exclusives on the first year.
Basically a repeat of PS4 but with better games than the first two years.

That's the only way I see them doing it.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty easy. Full backward compatibility and Day-1 access to all my PS+ games on PS5 with enhanced visual options and overall faster loading/access. Combined with hopefully a better designed GUI (really Sony, step up your game with the OS! Where are my shiny animations and stylish pop-ins like on XBX? That´s clearly something where MS outshines Sony pretty hard) and this will be a no brainer for many I guess.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
With great new first-party games and backwards compatibility with PS4. I don't think it'll be that hard.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
- $399 if you trade in your PS4.
- Enhanced BC to keep you locked in.
- Most impressive jump in technical capabilities.
- Probably one of the best year one exclusive lineups they've ever had.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
lol people honestly believe they are gonna get a 399$ ps5 with 12+tf rdna?

Xsx/ps5 are 499$ minimum

Probably not, but it's not inconceivable. Both Sony and MS will likely be selling the HW with a loss anyway, it's just a matter of how big a loss per unit they're willing to take. Corpo maths is something that is impossible to predict, see MS selling Gamepass with a fairly substantial loss rn.
If they think it'll help reap profits down the line... who knows.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm guessing (well hoping) they just create a whole new service which is a PlayStation subscription. With a two or three year contract you get the console, full access to PS Now and it includes PS+ for online and it's all for a very affordable monthly fee. No brainer.

It gets way more people on the console immediately as it's far more attractive to people than paying 400/500/600 up front. This can help hide the cost if the console really is expensive. It keeps them locked in and so they will be far less likely to also pay for an Xbox or playing elsewhere.

I don't see Sony just carrying on towards PS5 with everything staying the same with regards to PS+ and Now. I think they will do something big and disruptive like the above. There has to be a big announcement on this front and not just "here's a new console, nothing else is changing, please stay". Especially with Gamepass getting so much buzz.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
People might be thinking about this the wrong way. There may not be some grand scheme to transfer everyone over. AMD doesn't own their own fabs and they aren't going to keep making these chips for years or shrink them, it may be much cheaper just for them to ONLY make PS5 chips. So they will cease production of the PS4 (& Pro) much sooner than their previous systems and anyone that wants a new Playstation experience will have to buy a PS5 or use PS Now. The same would go for Microsoft.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
We heard $399? I haven't seen that.

Cool!
We didn't hear anything about the price,i was talking about BC.That's my guess considering how successful $399 price was for them this gen and all the money they are making from 36 million PS+ subscribers and 30% platform holder tax.They didn't have that income in the past so they can cover any hardware loss pretty fast now.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Maybe the PS5 will be the first PlayStation console to not just finish strongly, but begin strongly as well. Because let's face it, they've all had pretty underwhelming launch line ups in the past.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
We didn't hear anything about the price,i was talking about BC.That's my guess considering how successful $399 price was for them this gen and all the money they are making from 36 million PS+ subscribers and 30% platform holder tax.They didn't have that income in the past so they can cover any hardware loss pretty fast now.

This makes a lot of sense.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
It all depends in what games they have at launch imo, the first months are usually quite barren. There wasn't many games at the PS4 launch that interested me

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
For myself having exclusivity to certain games that will have little to no load times is the thing that is pushing me to it

Nioh 2
The last of us 2
Exclusivity to FFVII
All playing far better on a new console

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think that offering compatibility with PS4 games, but automatically enhancing them for PS5 will be a huge selling point and reason to upgrade.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
The dream would be (and some of ya'll have touched upon most of it):

- Amazing launch titles (and teasing amazing titles on the horizion, no pun intended).

- Acquiring and investing in new studios (Bluepoint, KojiPro etc.) and to keep expanding on their amazing first-party rouster.

- Include and promote indies again; shouldn't be the main attraction, but they should definitely be supported! (Shu's on it!)

- BC for all PlayStation's (PS1, PS2, PS3 - Maybe even PSP and Vita).

- Aiming to be the power and price leader again. What would definitely throw a wrench in Microsoft's plans would be if Sony take a big hit on price, whilst retaining the right to claim they have "the most powerful console".

I think that definitely played a part in PS4's huge success. The competition not only being $100 more expensive, but considerably weaker as well (this won't be the case, they'll be about the same power-wise, but they can still be cheaper).
I still expect the PS5 to be $499 though.

- Start producing the most amount of consoles they've ever produced. If you want a smooth transition, you better produce more than enough consoles.

I believe that's about it?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
games people actually want to play. a good price for the hardware. maybe trade in programs. backwards compatibility.

i was going to hold off getting a PS5 but i'll be there day 1 if i can play my PS4 games on it.
I wonder if we'll still be able to redownload PT on a ps5. Hmmm
probably not.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Dunno, but I do think the PS5 will be popular and desirable enough that if Sony were to put 30 or 40 million units out in the first year it would still sell out. We always end up in a situation where the new console sells out at launch and scalpers have a field day selling at higher prices, I'm kinda hopeful that they plan to manufacture WAY more units than usual to help prevent that.

That, plus at E3 2020 they could show off Horizon 2, Spiderman 2 and God of War 2, all with a release window of 1.5 years and the masses will eat that shit up.

Jun 4, 2019
While I agree with this being PR talk, it is interesting to speculate if Sony has some ace up their sleeve strategy (or perhaps not). I can't fathom what this might be other than the usual BC, trade-in offers, etc. that others have mentioned.

Perhaps it's just me, but it does feel like Sony has been awfully quiet of late starting with the E3 absence this past year. Other than the recent marketing push for Death Stranding, TLOU 2, and the quick tease of SSD loading capabilities of the PS5, it feels like we're in the calm before the storm of next gen info. Either way, it will be fascinating to see their marketing engine ramp up over the course of the next few months.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Taking a bigger loss to support a more aggressive initial price (something they're no stranger to) will help a lot. BC will help a lot.

I don't expect Lockhart to really make a notable difference, given the performance of "lesser" SKUs to date (how many people bought a 360 Arcade or a 20GB or what was that 4?GB PS3)

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With how loud my PS4 Pro is and how slow it's been running lately, they sure will be moving me along quicker if they release solid hardware.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
BC for your existing game library, with super fast loading times. MAYBE some performance patches for the biggest 1st/2nd party PS4 games out of the gate.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
The dream would be (and some of ya'll have touched upon most of it):

- Amazing launch titles (and teasing amazing titles on the horizion, no pun intended).

- Acquiring and investing in new studios (Bluepoint, KojiPro etc.) and to keep expanding on their amazing first-party rouster.

- Include and promote indies again; shouldn't be the main attraction, but they should definitely be supported! (Shu's on it!)

- BC for all PlayStation's (PS1, PS2, PS3 - Maybe even PSP and Vita).

- Aiming to be the power and price leader again. What would definitely throw a wrench in Microsoft's plans would be if Sony take a big hit on price, whilst retaining the right to claim they have "the most powerful console".

I think that definitely played a part in PS4's huge success. The competition not only being $100 more expensive, but considerably weaker as well (this won't be the case, they'll be about the same power-wise, but they can still be cheaper).
I still expect the PS5 to be $499 though.

- Start producing the most amount of consoles they've ever produced. If you want a smooth transition, you better produce more than enough consoles.

I believe that's about it?

I think pretty much all of them will be true. The launch titles will obviously be there, that is why they've been silent for a couple of years. Their big studios have all been working hard to make big games' sequels. I can Horizon 2 be a launch game. I can see Spiderman 2 coming out in the first few months. I can see ports/enhanced versions of TLOU2 and GOT. Bluepoint's game will be there. Other big games will be patched.

At the same time, I don't think Sony wants to release a bunch of big games at the same time. We'll see more 3rd party exclusive games than ports. The architecture being the same as current-gen means we'll have A LOT of games to play next fall.

They are definitely buying more studios, but don't expect them to go on a spending spree like MS. They don't need to buy many smaller studios. They might need a couple of big names (Bluepoint, Remedy, KojiPro etc.). I'd love to see them getting a few smaller devs as well to focus on AA products.

BC for all PS should be there, but don't expect to be able to play all those games by inserting your disc. I think Sony will have to make PSX-2-3 games backward compatible using patches. I really hope they pull that off.

Do they need to be both power and price leader? If Sony can release a PS5 slightly less powerful than XSX for 100$ cheaper, they should. 1 or 2 teraflops of difference won't be as noticeable as they were this gen

They should be able to start producing early if MS already has a console ready. Rumors say AMD will introduce Navi 20 (RDNA2) at the CS in a few weeks so maybe we'll all be able to get our hands on a console next November. I'm still going to preorder one as soon as possible.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they don't want to lose people over Game Pass.

The best way is to make a top console and exclusive games.

A problem for Sony in the next decade is MS, Google have enough money to turn the screw on Sony. It could become a space for the mega corps where they just essentially buy you.

Sep 28, 2019
I'm assuming that they will manufacture more consoles for the launch. In addition, they will likely have stronger exclusives at launch and throughout the first couple of years.