• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
My feeling is that the main reason this many people are still paying a $15 subscription is that they've been doing so for years. The subscription fee now being raised would be a great way to lose even more subscribers.

Seeing how they've always charged for services like realm transfers or faction changes, and considering how many cosmetic items they sell on the store (as well as selling gold through tokens), they don't really have to increase the subscription, either. I find it far more likely that the game eventually goes free to play and they add in more in-game purchases.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Why are people in this forum obsessed with corporations making more money? Making everything more expensive doesn't necessarily increase your revenue, not every company is Apple.

Besides, we live in a world were free to play + microtransactions is far easier to digest for consumers than paying a monthly fee.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are far less likely to pay a sub for a game now than they were before. Probably wouldn't be smart to risk making the existing ones mad.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Lol at people thinking 15 bucks a month is "cheap". For a family of 6, that comes out to over $10,000 on subs over the course of a decade.

The mental image of this hypothetical weird family where mom, dad and all four of the kids play WoW for ten years straight, is so ridiculous that it's amazing.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly I've never wondered why they haven't increased the sub price, I've only wondered the opposite - why they haven't gone F2P and doubled down on microtransactions (obviously because they've still got plenty of paying subs, but I'd expect that before a sub price hike, which will never happen)

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Burning their most dedicated fans like that would make their future projects from Blizzard a very difficult sell, particularly online games that require some kind of investment from the player.
From my experience a lot of players still playing are only subscribed out of habit or the social connection to other players they've known for a long time, any sort of aggressive change like a price hike would be used as an incentive to finally leave a game they haven't enjoyed for some time and that would create a ripple effect from guilds collapsing and matchmaking becoming more difficult for the rest of the players.

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
Because their internal models probably show that keeping the subscription price low and milking the player base with microtransactions makes them more money.

May 9, 2018
honestly I've never wondered why they haven't increased the sub price, I've only wondered the opposite - why they haven't gone F2P and doubled down on microtransactions (obviously because they've still got plenty of paying subs, but I'd expect that before a sub price hike, which will never happen)
That's easier to model; calculate lifetime ARPU for all the current MTX/services, then you'd have a benchmark of the F2P growth you'd need to get to justify switching to F2P.

Hint: ARPU on MTX/Services is almost certainly very low ($0 - $2 lifetime), while ARPU for current subscribers is $15 per month at minimum, with lifetime value being much, much higher.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
The subscription is a floor for player ltv and a lot of their offerings - various account services, cosmetics, etc - drive revenue from more engaged players. As they've run the game, I'm sure their marginal cost per user has fallen dramatically such that their profit off of the subscription is up, even in "real" dollars. I bet there is far more discussion within Blizzard about removing the subscription altogether rather than increasing the price. That decision likely has a lot to do with user (re)acquisition costs, the performance of their (at the moment) secondary offerings, and learnings from games like Heroes of the Storm.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's easier to model; calculate lifetime ARPU for all the current MTX/services, then you'd have a benchmark of the F2P growth you'd need to get to justify switching to F2P.

Hint: ARPU on MTX/Services is almost certainly very low ($0 - $2 lifetime), while ARPU for current subscribers is $15 per month at minimum, with lifetime value being much, much higher.
yeah but that assumes all things being equal if they were to switch to an F2P with mtx model, which it obviously wouldn't for the reasons you stated. they would monetize much more aggressively and still offer an optional sub, probably, something like SWTOR does (although probably not AS aggressively, that game is super gimped without a sub)

Nov 23, 2017
Look up price/revenue elasticity, OP. they will make less revenue doing this.

AS someone said they may actulaly make more money LOWERING the sub, as it lets people who are interested in cosmetics get in at a lower baseline.

But also the problem is that BFA is meh. If BFA was out in 2016 and Legion was out last August, you wouldnt be saying this.

Nov 23, 2017

Well, their amount of users would be a lot higher, maybe not 8 times higher though. And I feel like the median revenue per user for mtx is a better measurement than the average.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If you subscribe now do you get access to Modern and Classic at the same time? If so, I'm surprised they didn't make it so that bundle would cost you $5 more. Or $10 for standalone Classic.

But yeah I don't think they'd do it at this point. I'm probably gonna dive into WoW once I'm done with Shadowbringers, out of curiosity more than anything, and I sure as hell wouldn't if it cost anymore than it is already.

May 9, 2018
Well, their amount of users would be a lot higher, maybe not 8 times higher though.
It's even more absurd than 8x, the $15/mo is monthly.

And I feel like the median revenue per user for mtx is a better measurement than the average.
For almost every game with optional MTX, the median revenue per user will be $0, as a non-zero amount would imply "atleast half of the playerbase has purchased atleast 1 MTX", which is rarely true.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I seem to remember a large portion of the WoW community at the time calling WotLK a travesty; to them, the game was too casual/easy. "wrathbabies" became a term for a reason.
People said that literally every expansion, Wrath was great with the only real down side was it was the start of the queuing problem that would plague later WoW... but honestly, it was fine for quick farting out of your 100th dungeon run. The issue was when WoW started making dungeons serious progression, and when they started adding raids and lowered raid difficulty for those queue modes.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I seem to remember a large portion of the WoW community at the time calling WotLK a travesty; to them, the game was too casual/easy. "wrathbabies" became a term for a reason.

Every liked WoW expansion has had big problems that eventually got ignored:

Burning Crusade: Broken bosses at launch, brutal attunments, copy-and-pasted dungeon/raid content.

Wrath of the Lich King: Too easy/casual, "welfare epics"

Mists of Pandaria: Annoying large amount of daily quests

Legion: Artifact Power, handling of legendaries.
The MOP daily complaint still annoys me, it was a good way to get people out in the world again after Cata was just sitting in the cities all day.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
If you subscribe now do you get access to Modern and Classic at the same time? If so, I'm surprised they didn't make it so that bundle would cost you $5 more. Or $10 for standalone Classic.
I could see it going the other way. As in some day creating a Blizzard Pass for $15 that gives you WoW and either access to or extra perks in all other Blizzard games (like card packs in Hearthstone, mtx stuff Overwatch etc) in. Seems like where things are heading in general.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
shoud have gone down to 8-10$ for classic to get more ppl to play