• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
omg lol, this is you right now.

Artistically you've way over-thought this too.
Rex is blue, Nia is yellow, and Pyra is red because that shit will be the only thing you really see on the map. Basic colour theory is another good reason.
Xenoblade-Chronicles-2-Open-World.jpg

Even IF the Holy Grail is a large part of her motif, her design barely backs it up. She looks like a sci-fi stripper more than a regal sword. They absolutely 100% chose to expose the female cast by a very conscious decision.

Thanks for editing your post to make it something other than just bullying me, but tbh I'm done bothering trying to engage here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because they didn't play it bro

Let's say for sake of example that XB2 is actually as good as you say it is. Fair enough, you enjoy it.

Why do you think someone uninterested in anime tit games would look at the designs of these characters, these people you're saddled with for dozens of hours, and then be turned off of wanting to play it?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Gacha + Guest Designers + Anime + Tales of = OH GOD MAKE IT STOP

Sadly, it almost feels like Monolith thought not being anime/gacha enough was the problem with Xenoblade's sales rather than being on 3 dying platforms previously

They're clearly capable of making good designs as a lot of their previous games showed. They just choose not to.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's say for sake of example that XB2 is actually as good as you say it is. Fair enough, you enjoy it.

Why do you think someone uninterested in anime tit games would look at the designs of these characters, these people you're saddled with for dozens of hours, and then be turned off of wanting to play it?
because the designs are good

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because the designs are good

If you like then sure whatever, more power to ya and they're never going away.

I'm saying that there are people put off of the garish, barely clothed women in the game with giant balloon tiddies. It bothers them, it's valid that it bothers them, and it's valid that they don't want to deal with a game that stooped to that level to sell itself.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you're implying here that i'm making the holy grail thing up, or that it wasn't intended. Thanks to Tim Rogers I know that in japanese Pyra is literally referred to as the holy grail, not the Aegis. With the Aegis thing being a part of the general christianity scrubbing of the games translation.

The holy grail is general a shorthand for a symbol of human desire. Most people know that. Something covetable or wanted by all. A cursory wikipedia research about the history of the holy grail, shows some things that may have been part of the inspiration for pyra
en.wikipedia.org

Holy Grail - Wikipedia

Radiating fire you say? Pretty interesting!

You can also see further down that the grail is often linked with fertility, both of the land and humans. At the risk of sounding crass, perhaps making Pyra a large hipped and breasted woman (classical symbols of fertility) was in the character designers mind a brilliant allusion to some interpretations of the Grail. Yeah, I might be giving them too much credit. But the fact I can draw links at all to 12th century and 18th century depections of the same thing might mean someone along the lines was thinking about it.
A lot of these weird designs people criticise like the goddess one have some interesting elements to think about.

Which is why it bugs me that people act like the designs are incohesive or thoughtless. Think about the Nia/Rex/Pyra love triangle. the 3 of them are the three different primary colours Sonic Tails Knuckles style. Nia and Rex in particular are complementary. They are about the same height. Their costumes are alike in that they're jumpsuits made from similar fabric. They together form the classic blue/yellow contrast that errybody loves to see on movie posters. Pyra then sticks out as being way taller, completely different style of costume and looking like she's from another world in general because sheis.

which is probably why it's so frustrating that there's the Rex/Pyra romance plot happens because he's meant to match with nia, damnit!

Why is she wearing a skin tight cybernetic onesie though? Well... It's a Xeno game.
Not only is this a ridiculous explaination for "Sex Sells" but it's not even accurate. The standards of beauty for women in the medieval period was that of a long and slender person. The idea of curves being attractive came after and is a more modern construct. It certainly has nothing to do with the holy grail.

Which is still a moot point even then since the character artists were obviously not thinking about European 12th Century when designing any of the characters

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
because they didn't play it bro
I... Did?

The designs are bad in a lot of cases, inconsistent, impractical and the camera is framed in the worst way intentionally and often at ridiculous times to objectify the female cast, Pyra in particular in a creepy juvenile fashion.

None of this has anything to do with the gameplay or story that should make the game good (I disagree there too but that's not important) and would not have changed the game any to have had better designs, and a more appropriate camera except make it more respectful and inclusive to gamers of multiple genders and ages.

Do you disagree with that?

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is this a ridiculous explaination for "Sex Sells" but it's not even accurate. The standards of beauty for women in the medieval period was that of a long and slender person. The idea of curves being attractive came after and is a more modern construct. It certainly has nothing to do with the holy grail.
1.) I'm not super serious about this i'm just spitballing

2.) The game isn't a medival themed game, it's a modern Sci-FI themed JRPG so why would you design for medieval beauty standards? The various elements of japanese mythology that appear as blades are all sci fi themed too.

3.) The long ass stretch of a bow I'm drawing isn't about beauty. It's about the 2 fold symbology of the holy grail (not specifically jesus's chalice) being used as both a symbol of human desire/something to coveted and a symbol of prosperity/fertility
ancient.eu/Grail_Legend/

Both these pages link to other stuff that suggests grail as sexualised symbol. I don't care enough about defending Pyra to research futher.

4.) Fertility symbols have had big hips and breasts since paleolithic times. Come on.

Last edited:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
1.) I'm not super serious about this i'm just spitballing

2.) The game isn't a medival themed game, it's modern so why would you design for medieval beauty standards

3.) The long ass stretch of a bow I'm drawing isn't about beauty. It's about the 2 fold symbology of the holy grail (not specifically jesus's chalice) being used as both a symbol of human desire/something to coveted and a symbol of prosperity/fertility

4.) Fertility symbols have had big hips and breasts since paleolithic times. Come on.
2.) You made a specific reference to the 12th Century in your post. That's medieval. Your argument sorta falls apart if you're not referencing the medieval period

3.) You really need to look up what the Holy Grail is and references

4.) No. They haven't. That's the point. The definition of beauty has changed throughout history. And modern history has retcon past definitions of beauty to fit modern sensibilities

Also none of that explains that simple fact that the character designs are simply trying to emulate the gacha genre/crowd in a time when Monolith was unsure of the Switch's success. We can all only hope they go back to their "not as bad" designs for future games now that the Switch & games like Fire Emblem have proven their success.

Oct 25, 2017
4.) No. They haven't. That's the point. The definition of beauty has changed throughout history. And modern history has retcon past definitions of beauty to fit modern sensibilities
www.ancient.eu

Venus Figurine

The term Venus figurine is used to describe the more than 200 small statuettes of voluptuous female figures that have been found at Upper Paleolithic sites across Europe and some parts of Asia. “When...

why am i wasting time on this

Aug 27, 2018
I know a lot of people around here LOVE Xenoblade 2 but man...I could not stand that game.

Edit: someone else already posted the ProZD video that I also posted, I didn't see it until afterwords.

Last edited:

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
www.ancient.eu

Venus Figurine

The term Venus figurine is used to describe the more than 200 small statuettes of voluptuous female figures that have been found at Upper Paleolithic sites across Europe and some parts of Asia. “When...

I see a few differences between Venus figures and the designs in Xenoblade. Just a few.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
www.ancient.eu

Venus Figurine

Again, "changed throughout history". It's gone back and forth based upon a variety of culture and economic values in each century (and location, since this whole topic is obviously eurocentric).

And I'm not sure why you are trying to argue that TITS are some complicated reference to the 12th century when the obvious answer is just TITS

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
User banned (3 days): threadwhining
Xeno threads are a blight on this forum, they merely devolve into spam-wars like a pack of primitive animals flinging shit at each other; all the while taking up precious resources across the world for the data centre space, and dumping CO2 in the atmosphere for the energy needed.

The only cure is a complete site wide purge
Exterminatus

Oct 25, 2017
2.) You made a specific reference to the 12th Century in your post. That's medieval. Your argument sorta falls apart if you're not referencing the medieval period
What I was saying is that a famous 12th century painting depicted it as a bowl of fire held by a beautiful woman. Pyra is a beautiful woman who controls fire through a sword, there's the design link. Not literally "pyra is an anime 12th century depectiion of the grail." I'm also trying to communicate (unsuccessfully) that, in "medieval times, the grail was repurposed in poetry and literature to be a symbol of female femininity and fertility" You can see a (crass) example of this in the conspiracy theories that inspired the da vinci code which suggested the grail was mary magedlene's vagina.

And I'm not sure why you are trying to argue that TITS are some complicated reference to the 12th century when the obvious answer is just TITS
This is Xenoblade 2. Of course, everything in it is going to be some convoluted, anime reference to relgious mythology. I agree, there's nothing deep about the hentai artist who sat down and said Hmm... Holy Grail, Fertility. I should draw a redhead with big boobs, but I myself am trying to parse the design in my mind.

I think trying to understand why a seemingly fucking OUT THERE insane character design made it to ship and what the designer was trying to communicate is more interesting then just being like "this is fucking stupid" and moving on

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Xeno threads are a blight on this forum, they merely devolve into spam-wars like a pack of primitive animals flinging shit at each other; all the while taking up precious resources across the world for the data centre space, and dumping CO2 in the atmosphere for the energy needed.

Exterminatus

Dear lord, a little melodramatic aint it?
If you don't care at all about the topic, why even post.

Last edited:

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure what you're saying anymore. It's late here and I'm half asleep but... do you think Pyra's design is good or not? You seem to be going through a lot of gymnastics to justify the thought processes behind it but does that matter with the end result I ask?

She can be a representation of the grail and fire etc but the end design was a tiny short thong wearing waifu bait design no?

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this is the same argument about the big tiddy sorcerer in Dragon's Crown. There's no symbolism, my guy, it's just big tiddies for the sake of big tiddies.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
User banned (5 days): threadwhining, off-topic commentary over multiple posts

Exterminatus
BOLTERS BROTHERS!

Mod edit- gif removed

Dear lord, a little melodramatic aint it?
If you don't care at all about the topic, why even post
It's a bit of a joke. "Xenos" is the catch all phrase for any species that isn't human; used by the Imperium of Man in the Warhammer 40K Series.

Xenos are good for one thing and one thing only...TARGET PRACTICE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
What I was saying is that a famous 12th century painting depicted it as a bowl of fire held by a beautiful woman. Pyra is a beautiful woman who controls fire through a sword, there's the design link. Not literally "pyra is an anime 12th century depectiion of the grail." I'm also trying to communicate (unsuccessfully) that, in "medieval times, the grail was repurposed in poetry and literature to be a symbol of female femininity and fertility" You can see a (crass) example of this in the conspiracy theories that inspired the da vinci code which suggested the grail was mary magedlene's vagina.

This is Xenoblade 2. Of course, everything in it is going to be some convoluted, anime reference to relgious mythology. I agree, there's nothing deep about the hentai artist who sat down and said Hmm... Holy Grail, Fertility. I should draw a redhead with big boobs, but I myself am trying to parse the design in my mind.

I think trying to understand why a seemingly fucking OUT THERE insane character design made it to ship and what the designer was trying to communicate is more interesting then just being like "this is fucking stupid" and moving on
But the idea of the grail and feminine beauty wasn't even a thing until the 19th and 20th centuries. Again, because the definition of beauty changed over time.

This is like arguing that every female lawyer has to be busty & in a revealing outfit because law = impartial = Lady Justice = women = BOOBS

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It should be apparent why they did it when we live in a world where you can slap some titties on a WWII battleship and people will worship it.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this is the same argument about the big tiddy sorcerer in Dragon's Crown. There's no symbolism, my guy, it's just big tiddies for the sake of big tiddies.

the funny thing is that in dragons crown the sorcerer and Amazon were condemned and deprecated. But here they are some representation of religion, some higher calling bullshit justification because the fans can't take it that the game designs are shit, hot trash.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nia is good, morag is good, rex is good, zeke is good, vast majority of the blade are good

bunny lady is ridic, sure, but whatever

the scheme is blown out of proportion and we re-address this shit like 3 times a month since dec 2017

its old

You should probably stay out of threads specifically designed to call out the worst aspects of a game you otherwise enjoy if it bothers you, then.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I think of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I always remember that scene early in the game when you first meet Pyra, where the camera zooms in closer and closer until it focuses on her breasts lmao

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Dismissing concerns of oversexulization and trolling over multiple posts. Prior severe ban for downplaying sexual harrassment

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nah i'll do what i want

I mean you're in here pretending that these designs are unironically good and you can't understand why there's a problem, so that has clearly been established.

It's fine if you like it, but there's nothing to be gained from trying to dismiss the genuine criticism to be had of the character designs.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
nia is good, morag is good, rex is good, zeke is good, vast majority of the blade are good

bunny lady is ridic, sure, but whatever

the scheme is blown out of proportion and we re-address this shit like 3 times a month since dec 2017

its old
You are ignoring the very reason this thread exists. No one is saying that EVERY design in the game is bad. Read the OP for once.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I quite like this Pyra design myself
images

Way better than what we got when a guest artist got involved

latest

bring Hidari to make XC3's art Monolith you cowards

Oct 25, 2017
But the idea of the grail and feminine beauty wasn't even a thing until the 19th and 20th centuries. Again, because the definition of beauty changed over time.

This is like arguing that every female lawyer has to be busty & in a revealing outfit because law = impartial = Lady Justice = women = BOOBS
I'm not saying that she has to be anything, You're hung up on the time period. It's obvious if you play the game that the designers aren't taking from any particular point in history, but rather sampling ideas from different religious and mythologies like a cheese board. I'm saying that rather than a completely thoughtless horny anime girl drawing, the artist probably looked for historical depictions of the holy grail and sought to filter it through their own horny anime lens.

I'm not really sure what you're saying anymore. It's late here and I'm half asleep but... do you think Pyra's design is good or not? You seem to be going through a lot of gymnastics to justify the thought processes behind it but does that matter with the end result I ask?

She can be a representation of the grail and fire etc but the end design was a tiny short thong wearing waifu bait design no?
When I first played the game, one of the things that stuck in my brain is "why does pyra look like this?" Other characters in the game have designs that very clearly communicate who they are and what they're about (wannabe anime Hero Zeke, Androgynous Military Lady Morag) Rex is a kid who dives so naturally he wears shorts and a diving suit, right (Wait that's actually really stu-) So to me it's most interesting to try and understand what they're going for when something totally baffles me then just write it off as stupid.

I think although the design has attempted to communicate the ideas I'm spitballing against the wall here, the end result is unsuccessful. Like, even if she was meant to look "Incompelete" having the massive cutouts doesn't really convey that any more than it does a skimpy costume. And the complete version that shows up later doesn't really look like the halves merged.

Furthermore- why is a demure reserved character dressed so horny?? the answer is the male gaze. I think a pyra with a less ridiculous costume could have been really great.

Last edited:

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Artistically they are massively inconsistant.

Here is pyra's art.

Here's Boreas

xenoblade-chronicles-2-rare-blades2.jpg

Here's Azumi

xenoblade-chronicles-2-rare-blade-azami.jpg

It's all over the place and it's like that because they used guest artists for nearly everything not related to main plot. It's easy to get caught up on the fact that the art work both in game and out is so extremely different from piece to piece, and the contextualization of everyone being a light image doesn't really wave that fact off. It's even more jarring when you have someone like Poppi, who is an exaggerated version of the artwork used on the core characters next to guest blades like Gorg or Jivaro. Hell, even Morag doesn't fit half the time.

It's completely dissonant.

Something something Mary Magdalene something something
Yeah, the 2D art is obviously different, because it was drawn by different people. That's just stuff you see in the menus, though, so...

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I like that Pyra design with the black undershirt/stockings. Its still her costume but not as sexualized.
Nothing is redeeming about Rex's design though, that is all out horrible. It almost stopped my from playing it. I did enjoy the game overall though, but yeah some of those designs are way too weeb.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno OP each to their own, but I liked the game a lot. Even the worst designs are kinda just meh... The game is too good to let it down because a horny designer has a thing with huge tits.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (1 month): Trolling in defense of sexism
Why is there 10 pages of this...

Well these concerned citizens, who are definitely not into and in fact are totally against sexualized anime fanservice, need to show us their collection of sexualized anime fanservice that they have gathered purly in the name of researching how bad it is.

And as they have clearly done a lot of long hard research into this subject they have a lot of results to share with us.