• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
People like to focus on the handful of questionable designs like Dhalia and Pyra's tig ol' bitties. But there's a bunch of cool ones.

latest

I agree Rex's design is a little lame, but I didn't hate it.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
If people are skipping the game, at least watch a long play so you know everything that happens and why it connects to Xenoblade 1. The game is the other half of Xenoblade 1.

Eh, personally, I feel the connection is so shoehorned in that it doesn't really matter. The way it explains it is cool, but, to not say too much, Xenoblade works perfectly fine as a standalone title and the Xeno 2 additions don't really matter. No one should suffer through Xb2's story just to the part that kind of connects to the first one.

People like to focus on the handful of questionable designs like Dhalia and Pyra's tig ol' bitties. But there's a bunch of cool ones.

latest

It's too bad she kinda sucks iirc, I remember being really happy I got her cause her design is so cool.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

latest

Yep, there's way more awesome and creative designs than awful ones. But everyone likes to get mad at the polar bear woman.

Nov 23, 2017
User banned (permanent): Hostility towards other members, aggressively dismissing concerns of sexism over multiple posts, harassing another member with private messages + long history of infractions
lol what all they said was they didn't like it, at least beth anyway

r u o k ?

anyway you gotta get over it it's the internet
Lol this person thought it's clever to type badly and make fun of mental health. Are you a preteen girl on AIM in 2004?

And only people gotta get over things are those who have XB2 living rent free in their head for 3 years now.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

latest

See this fucking owns. There's another couple like this I've seen in the character are that rules. Wish the whole game was coherent with a specific visual identity, and not a combination of this, demon titty snow bunny, and whatever the fuck Rex and Pyra are supposed to be.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

latest

I mean, some of the guest blades are cool. Give me an entire game with Kouji Ogata designs, kthx:

Xenoblade2Ogata.jpg

Lots of horrifically bad ones, alongside the main cast from Saito.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I fucking adored Xenoblade Chronicles and I refuse to even touch Xenoblade Chronicles 2 entirely because of how utterly repugnant, absurdly incoherent, and jarring the mess they call an art direction is. XBC2 is my litmus test for taste.

Shame cause Xc2 really does have the best combat system of the series.. But yeah visually the game is nasty looking
Still my favorite if the xeno games

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the cool gatcha blades is that you might never see them.

But you'll see Pyra. You'll see a LOT of Pyra.

Yeah, when I played I never pulled a single Blade with a design I actually liked. I got plenty of ugly, over-designed pieces of shit like snow titty rabbit lady and "annoying little girl with giant hammer who screams all her lines", though. And six thousand generic Blades.

Thanks, Monolith Soft. You really made me want to keep playing your game.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Man it ok to show tits and ass as it different artists some of the mental gymnastics people use to defend fan service shit designs is absolutely mental.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
OP's not too far off actually. For example Torna charcters were desigend by Tetsuya Nomura.

And the rest of the rare blades are well known designers in other video games (Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy to name a few):
https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/7elo4v/xenoblade_2_rare_blade_designers/

So yeah, love it or hate it, the designs were deliberate and that's how they got in.

As for Pyra and Mythra, well the obvious answer is fan-service.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I fucking adored Xenoblade Chronicles and I refuse to even touch Xenoblade Chronicles 2 entirely because of how utterly repugnant, absurdly incoherent, and jarring the mess they call an art direction is. XBC2 is my litmus test for taste.

I feel like if I can't play it with all my family members in the room, then it's probably too much. That's my way to gauge it. My sister always loves walking in and reading along when I play RPGs ever since we were kids. She walked in on this:

And angrily told the game to Fuck Off. This was a first and kinda shows how bad it is. I really didn't care much to continue after that.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

ā–² Legend ā–²
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They are cringey weaboo trash, and it's the number one reason i won't play that shit. Hope for the next game they give us more stuff like XC1 and less anime tits, or make the suits actually respectable and not a 14 year old wet dream design.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost as if...you shouldn't write stuff off for the surface level stuff.

An overwhelming majority of the art and cutscenes presented for the game, and from what I've seen, looks like fucking shit to me and I don't want to play it precisely because for these reasons. Appeal and tone of presentation is a factor everybody considers when deciding what does and does not interest them. Much my posts are facetious shitposting to stir up people who get painfully defensive over XBC2 because they can't fathom people think it looks like garbage.

I think it looks like garbage. I think Rex, Pyra, and Mythra are hideously unappealing character designs. And they are, to the best of my knowledge, core characters to the narrative of which I will be exposed to frequently. I've watched cutscenes on YouTube, and the tone of the writing and characterisation is almost as unappealing to me as the art.

It's a shame it does have a handful of designs I think are legitimately tremendous, but that alongside strong game systems is not enough to warrant me spending 50+ hours on a game I inherently do not want to touch. I'll stick with the XBC remake.

Shame cause Xc2 really does have the best combat system of the series.. But yeah visually the game is nasty looking
Still my favorite if the xeno games

Yeah I wish I could stomach the presentation because everyone praises the combat system. XBX was hugely disappointing to me less because of how it looked, but moreso how it played, which is far harder to deal with.

Oh well. At least there's a XBC remake on the horizon.

Nov 23, 2017
Amen. I hate when people write off a game for it's surface level treatment of women as sexual objects to be collected and gawked at.
The game is a whole of its parts. There are valid things to criticize about it, but the message and themes and context to the story make it way more than whatever you're trying to make it out to be. This is an insulting generalization and just straight up untrue. there's, what, 70 designs? and the vast majority are not this type of design.

Velocity... You should leave the thread.
Ok.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, there's way more awesome and creative designs than awful ones. But everyone likes to get mad at the polar bear woman.
Lol come on. Some of you are crazy. The main female character in the game is wearing a thong and has boobs that are bigger than her head. The other main female character in the game transforms near the game's climax and...woof.

Straight up, I could never play this game in front of any family members or like 90% of my friends

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Its feels crazy to also ignore the terrible fucking framing and angles with the jiggle physics that Pyra and Mythra have during story shit. Like its not just the costumes being from different designers, how the game frames them is just as bad.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I feel like if I can't play it with all my family members in the room, then it's probably too much. That's my way to gauge it. My sister always loves walking in and reading along when I play RPGs ever since we were kids. She walked in on this:

And angrily told the game to Fuck Off. This was a first and kinda shows how bad it is. I really care much to continue after that.

The hell was that? Hopefully it was less cringe worthy in JP VO.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Its feels crazy to also ignore the terrible fucking framing and angles with the jiggle physics that Pyra and Mythra have during story shit. Like its not just the costumes being from different designers, how the game frames them is just as bad.
Look at this!

"Oh it's such a bummer people are focusing on the few bad designs."

No, this stuff is everywhere.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I never really saw the problem with Rex. Yeah he looks a little goofy, but no one would care about that after playing the game for a few minutes.
Pyra is questionable. Her design would be fixed with better shorts and a chest reduction.
Dahlia, the insanely famous bunny woman, is another one but you only have like a 1-3% of getting her and shes optional.

I dont abandon things upon looking at the cover art, so XC2 is one of my favorite games. But others do unfortunately, so I hope the artists/developers reign themselves in next time. They make good designs, they just need a leash.

Hmm I think some people will be stunned when they see XC1's armor designs in HD.

Cronogear

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
Real talk though, the Smash Bros "censored" Mythra is actually much improved

db6.png

K4En9D0.jpg

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
OP, ya basic, sorry. And I don't like the huge tits either. But there's like, 100 designs in this game and I thought it worked great overall.

Looks good to me and 2.5 million other fans. You spread negativity in every thread man, it's tiring and frankly got old a long time ago.

You saying 2.5 million as if everyone that purchased the game was down with it. I thought they were mostly shit, especially when compared to Xenoblade 1 characters.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol come on. Some of you are crazy. The main female character in the game is wearing a thong and has boobs that are bigger than her head. The other main female character in the game transforms near the game's climax and...woof.

Straight up, I could never play this game in front of any family members or like 90% of my friends

Not sure what you want me to say. It bothers some people and it doesn't bother others. I think the game has more cool designs than it does bad, but I'm not turned off by 'anime' designs.

NHarmonic.

ā–² Legend ā–²
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

And angrily told the game to Fuck Off. This was a first and kinda shows how bad it is. I really didn't care much to continue after that.

Imagine spending resources programming this trash into a game. Holy shit. How did they go from the great cast of XC1 to this creepy fetishist Nopon with his personal doll?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you want me to say. It bothers some people and it doesn't bother others. I think the game has more cool designs than it does bad, but I'm not turned off by 'anime' designs.
The game objectifies its female characters. You can enjoy the game while acknowledging that it does this, but you can't really claim it's just a matter of taste.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Look at this!

"Oh it's such a bummer people are focusing on the few bad designs."

No, this stuff is everywhere.

The amount of cutscenes that I remember laughing at because they framed them around pyra's ass or breasts and often around serious topics is pretty large. I don't think you can claim the issues with this game are a couple artists with freedom.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing sexist objectification as a matter of taste
The game objectifies its female characters. You can enjoy the game while acknowledging that it does this, but you can't really claim it's just a matter of taste.
I absolutely can claim its a matter of taste. If it bothers you but it doesn't bother me, what else do you wanna call it? I'm not going to go around saying your opinion is WRONG or anything.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea they were largely super bad and embarrassing to look at, made it easier for me to drop the game at any rate.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I love the character designs and really like how all the characters look different from one another. Gives a lot of variety.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I like the xenoblade games a lot but I don't think character designs have ever been much of a highlight. Xenoblade 1's armor sets have some really horrible looking stuff, lol.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely can claim its a matter of taste. If it bothers you but it doesn't bother me, what else do you wanna call it? I'm not going to go around saying your opinion is WRONG or anything.
So you don't think the game objectifies its female characters like Pyra and Nia (post transformation)?

I mean shit, I own the game and enjoyed my time with it. But I'm not blind. I suppose you're correct though, you can enjoy sexist depictions of female characters in video games. It is a matter of opinionšŸ˜‚!

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you don't think the game objectifies its female characters like Pyra and Nia (post transformation)?

I mean shit, I own the game and enjoyed my time with it. But I'm not blind. I suppose you're correct though, you can enjoy sexist depictions of female characters in video games. It is a matter of opinionšŸ˜‚!

Thats a whole other mess of a conversation I don't feel like being dragged into. There absolutely are trash designs in the game, I just think there are more good ones than bad, is all.