• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Miyamoto never reached the level of worldwide popularity despite being the Walt Disney or Stan Lee of video games

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't really get mobbed like a celebrity would over in the states. I saw Shigeru Miyamoto at a conbini one time. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen strawberry cheesecake Kit Kats in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Is this a meme?

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't japan culture very different in that creators rarely become celebrities?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
No matter where in the world, few recognize game developers by name, face, or reputation.

MGSV sold 6 million copies. Kojima plasters his name on screen every 5 minutes. Fans of video games I know IRL...even people I know who played MGSV still don't know who he is.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Is it mainly because he keeps himself to himself and is quite low key or because his native peeps don't give an F?

I always assumed that there were rose petals thrown in front of him everywhere he walked. He deserves it lol.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I don't think the general public care about "Director" roles at all.

I doubt many people could tell you who directed Titanic or any movie really.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
edition.cnn.com

'Mario Bros.' creator Shigeru Miyamoto to be given one of Japan's highest honors

Shigeru Miyamoto is a titan in the video game industry, having created beloved franchises such as "Mario Bros." and "The Legend of Zelda." For his work, he is being awarded the "Person of Cultural Merit" by the Japanese government on November 3.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Shigeru Miyamoto recognised with Japanese cultural award

Super Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto has been honoured with a Japanese cultural award, for his career in video games. T…

www.videogameschronicle.com

Shigeru Miyamoto honoured with Japan culture award | VGC

Nintendo designer recognised as Person of Cultural Merit…

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Would you say he's more or less famous than Hayao Miyazaki (in Japan)?

He is much much much much less famous. Almost everyone knows Miytazaki's name. They show the Ghibli movies in fairly heavy rotation on TV and many people grew up on them, his name is attached to them and he is widely respected. I think it would be extremely rare to find someone who said "Who?" at his name.

On the other hand, I would say almost nobody knows who Miyamoto is. I dont think even fairly geeky kids who stay up playing Switch or whatever have ever heard of him. Kojima might be slightly more famous but only among hardcore gaming teenagers even then.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I'd say most people that don't frequent gaming forums don't know and probably don't care who Miyamoto is.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
He had numerous public appearances that Miyamoto doesn't have. Cinema is more about "stars" than videogames.

Walt Disney hosted his own TV show for over a decade (Walt Disney's Disneyland/Walt Disney Presents/Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color), back when network TV was a huge, huge deal.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Wait didn't Miyamoto create Japan 2000 years ago by blowing into a Trumpet-shaped Wiimote peripheral? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
He doesn't really get mobbed like a celebrity would over in the states. I saw Shigeru Miyamoto at a conbini one time. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen strawberry cheesecake Kit Kats in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Reddit parody shitpost for those unaware.

Free karma stuff, always gets upvoted to the moon on r/nba.

Jan 9, 2018
Would you say he's more or less famous than Hayao Miyazaki (in Japan)?
Miyazaki is more famous, all his movies were advertised as Gibli studios directed by Miyazaki (as is usual in movies). But Mario games are not advertised with Miyamoto's name on it. Not a big statistic, but my wife (Japanese) plays videogames but doesn't follow games coverage, knows who Miyazaki is but she didn't knew who Miyamoto was.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I imagine there's a reason he specifically called himself "Mario's dad" during the theme park video.

I'm not really sure where non-video game fans would have seen him? He sometimes did interviews to promote stuff but he usually only comes out during E3 and Directs and the like. I don't think he promotes for the sake of promoting like Stan Lee or Walt Disney did.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
My Japanese wife was hardcore into SMB back in the day, and even she had never heard of him until I mentioned his name.
Mario is super famous, Miyamoto is not.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
he's definitely not very famous. only hardcore fans know about him. even the casuals wouldn't know who he is at all.

Kitano

Mar 28, 2019
The responses I'm seeing here are very surprising. Didn't know he is that unknown in Japan.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
GREAT OP question.

Fascinated by the answers.

I assumed he to be a god - like Kojima - over the years. Especially in Japan.

We maybe have some work to do in making gaming storytellers more prominent in widespread conversation?

Conversely, I admire the internal and exclusive community we've developed among industry enthusiasts.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
lol, do gamers really think all Japanese know or care about video games to the level of ResetEra does?

Kind of patronizing, no?

Mario is an incredibly famous character, and Nintendo is willing to bet on that enough to build out theme parks around the globe. Given Miyamoto is both the creator and from Japan, I didn't think it'd be that far fetched to know about him over there.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
As a "celebrity" he may not be very well known but his creations certainly are and he will be remembered in Japan and globally. It's amazing how things just happen like this when the right man in the right place can achieve great things. We are very lucky.

Aug 13, 2020
Miyamoto never reached the level of worldwide popularity despite being the Walt Disney or Stan Lee of video games
Walt Disney and Stan Lee are true Americans, always happy to present themselves and also ready to sell their own grandmother if necessary. Disney released the first cartoon with own sound, which was a big deal and then he released this ground breaking first feature length cartoon Snow White (the first trailer was presented by him). Basically, he was kind of Steve Jobs of early 21st century, that the company had his name on also of course helped. And Disney always made clear its all his effort, trying to put other artists down. This even resulted in a mass dropout in the 40s. Later on he presented also his own show as before mentioned, which made him known to many US kids. As this show was also localized, he was also present to many more kids around the world. This made him so well known to generations of people.

Stan Lee was also always happy to present himself, and it is also often discussed how much he was really involved in inventing the now famous Marvel heroes. He started to become famous as he was in charge of the TV and movie productions, also he regular was present on comic conventions. But he was not really famous, except you were a Marvel fan. He was not much different to a Todd McFarlane or Carl Barks in popularity. What all this changed were his cameos in the Marvel Studio movies. It likely started with Avengers, that also non-fans noticed that old guy in the productions and thus got known to Stan Lee. But I am sure for most of the people he is just that old guy in the Marvel movies.

Miyamoto on the other side is a true Japanese, very reserved. Also he does not have his own company nor he was in charge of any kind of public relations. As its not an often used trope for video games (beside Sid Meier), his games also does not have his name on and I would be surprised if Miyamoto would want to have this, if he would be asked. Furthermore, he never got filthy rich, which in Japan also does not result in becoming famous, contrary to US.
So it's not surprising that he is not well known, if you are not interested in the topic. As in many other areas, if you are not doing any PR (good or bad) you are not known except by your direct competition or fans. Let's take the real estate investors as example. You know of course former US president Trump, but do you ever heard of Donald Bren, Hugh Grosvenor or Sam Zell?

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This whole thread has been super surprising to me. I would've expected him to be more well known in Japan as the "Father of Mario".

Kinda sad not many know who is responsible for such joyous creations but maybe he prefers it that way.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only enthusiast and hardcore gamers around the world knows who is Shigeru Miyamoto.
It's videogames, not music, movies or books. Videogames are still not at the same level of cultural impact.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
If folks want to know what game creator is at least a bit famous and somewhat of a household name, it's Shigesato Itoi. You may only know him for Mother/Earthbound but he's a cultural force - he did a lot of copywriting, including for Miyazaki's films (he also voices the father in My Neighbor Totoro,) is a well-respected essayist and runs a very successful design company, selling billions of yen worth of products online each year despite not advertising.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
This topic is a little dissapointing but understandable. Creators like Stan Lee and James Cameron are rare exceptions. Most people don't know who is behind the products they enjoy.

I personally know plenty of Kingdom Hearts fans, but mention Tetsuya Nomura and I get the deer in the headlights look.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked Hideo Kojima's twitter and he has 900k followers on his JPN twitter and almost 3 mill on his English one. I guess it's understandable as more of the world speaks English. Not sure if the Japanese following is considered low or high.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds morbid, but widespread knowledge of him will probably happen once he passes.

it'll be a "holy shit, this man is responsible for all of these things I loved?!" moment for the general public.

It's gonna be a huge news day when that happens, probably bigger than we think. Miyamoto really is the first and most famous person in games.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I just checked Hideo Kojima's twitter and he has 900k followers on his JPN twitter and almost 3 mill on his English one. I guess it's understandable as more of the world speaks English. Not sure if the Japanese following is considered low or high.
Well just the US is nearly 3x bigger than japan population wise so 3x twitter followers, plus including at least Canada and Uk as English speaking followers would make it pretty equal or even higher ratio for his Japanese acct.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I mention Miyamoto to my Japanese wife I have to explain who he is.

... and we are playing Dark Souls together.
I made sure my wife knows who miyamoto shigeru is...

No but I dont think he is a widely known celebrity in Japan like miyazaki hayao despite their works having comparable cultural impact.

However he sure is famous in the gaming community(duh) and gaming in genera is really widespread in japan.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
Only among gamers, who affectionally call him "Miyapon" here. (Kinda like the Japanese version of "Shiggy")

Hopefully the (now delayed) Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Japan helps cement his legacy among the general public in some way.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't japan culture very different in that creators rarely become celebrities?
Wouldnt say so. Miyazaki hayao or hideo kojima have their names all over the commercials so everyone knows them.

i think miyamoto is a pretty private guy and tries to keep it that way. The popularity in the west is not harming his everyday life so...