• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Hi everyone,
I'm posting this article as I believe some of the side talk from the recently closed CTR a thread was worthy to continue. If the mods deem that this thread should be closed, please do so. It is my intent to only provide a better source than Wikipedia.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/how-watermelons-became-a-racist-trope/383529/

Some choice quotes:

This racist trope then exploded in American popular culture, becoming so pervasive that its historical origin became obscure. Few Americans in 1900 would've guessed the stereotype was less than half a century old.

Not that the raw material for the racist watermelon trope didn't exist before emancipation. In the early modern European imagination, the typical watermelon-eater was an Italian or Arab peasant. The watermelon, noted a British officer stationed in Egypt in 1801, was "a poor Arab's feast," a meager substitute for a proper meal. In the port city of Rosetta he saw the locals eating watermelons "ravenously ... as if afraid the passer-by was going to snatch them away," and watermelon rinds littered the streets.
I wanted to call to attention this part of the article as it notes that not only did this negative connotation with watermelon not start with the USA, but rather Europe. It shows how one class of people were observed to be at best a non-civilized human being. But before this association became a stereotype of African Americans, it was used by slaveowners to make them feel good about themselves

When an Alabama overseer cut open watermelons for the slaves under his watch, he expected the children to run to get their slice. One boy, Henry Barnes, refused to run, and once he did get his piece he would run off to the slave quarters to eat out of the white people's sight. His mother would then whip him, he remembered, "fo' being so stubborn." The whites wanted Barnes to play the part of the watermelon-craving, juice-dribbling pickaninny. His refusal undermined the tenuous relationship between master and slave.

It was only after emancipation that salty White Americans weaponize watermelon:

In 1869, Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaperpublished perhaps the first caricature of blacks reveling in watermelon. The adjoining article explained, "The Southern negro in no particular more palpably exhibits his epicurean tastes than in his excessive fondness for watermelons. The juvenile freedman is especially intense in his partiality for that refreshing fruit."
38e9c6144.jpg

Please share and stop depending on just Wikipedia.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you want to link the thread? You seem salty about it, whatever it was. Like you couldn't get your last word in, so started a new thread to do it.

Maybe some more context would help.

Bromancer

Oct 30, 2017
Huh. Well that was enlightening.

Definitely sounds like it's a US thing though. That British officer's journal makes it clear that the Arabs ate large quantities, without manners and that they were low quality food items. The watermelon is only mentioned as part of a summary of things they eat, I really don't see how that's a developing stereotype at all. As a Dutchman, the connection between black people and watermelons has always been a mystery to me, but this provided some context.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Huh. Well that was enlightening.

Definitely sounds like it's a US thing though. That British officer's journal makes it clear that the Arabs ate large quantities, without manners and that they were low quality food items. The watermelon is only mentioned as part of a summary of things they eat, I really don't see how that's a developing stereotype at all. As a Dutchman, the connection between black people and watermelons has always been a mystery to me, but this provided some context.

It's not just an American thing. It's present in Britain too. Which I guess isn't too surprising given our history.

I has even been in the news recently (as in this month) because that prick Boris Johnston as been asked about a past comment where he said Africans have "water melon smiles".

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Do you want to link the thread? You seem salty about it, whatever it was. Like you couldn't get your last word in, so started a new thread to do it.

Maybe some more context would help.

The OP apparently made this thread because a staff message in the Crash Team Racing "Watermelon Tawna" thread about the stereotypes involving Watermelon and Black ethnic groups contained a link to Wikipedia:

Official Staff Communication
This thread is motivated by concerns surrounding an extremely pervasive and historic racist stereotype.

Regardless of your local or individual experience with this stereotype, it is offensive and degrading to black-skinned people all around the world. It is not just an American issue. Lack of awareness in cultures without major black populations does not mean it isn't a degrading and racist caricature that is insulting to the people it mocks. The history of this stereotype can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_stereotype

Whether this character skin was intended to have this connotation or it was simply an unfortunate accident doesn't dictate the validity of people's concerns. If this is your first time hearing about this stereotype, please be respectful and observant to the fact that this sort of imagery has been used to harm darker-skinned populations for over a century.

Bromancer

Oct 30, 2017
It's not just an American thing. It's present in Britain too. Which I guess isn't too surprising given our history.

I has even been in the news recently (as in this month) because that prick Boris Johnston as been asked about a past comment where he said Africans have "water melon smiles".

I looked up the article where he said "watermelon smiles", and amazingly, in this case context does actually change everything. Probably the main reason he doesn't want people reading the original article is because it will upset people in other ways (it does the Queen dirty, for one).

OP
OP

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
The OP apparently made this thread because a staff message in the Crash Team Racing "Watermelon Tawna" thread about the stereotypes involving Watermelon and Black ethnic groups contained a link to Wikipedia:
Not the staff response. It was some of the European posters declaring it to be an American only thing and how could they have ever known about the connections between African Americans and the fruit. I specifically pointed out in that thread that it didn't originate in the USA and got push back. I just wanted to set the record straight.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Why are ancient white people dissing watermelons? Also, they make up some of the dumbest stereo types. "Haha look at them enjoying fruit, only a savage would take pleasure in such large and juicy produce"

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Not the staff response. It was some of the European posters declaring it to be an American only thing and how could they have ever known about the connections between African Americans and the fruit. I specifically pointed out in that thread that it didn't originate in the USA and got push back. I just wanted to set the record straight.

Got it. Non POC posters on this forum attempting to speak for POC in European countries by declaring accusations of discrimination as "US only" needs to stop in general.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who's not in their first year on the internet and claiming they don't know the watermelon trope is suspicious as hell, no matter where they are from.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got it. Non POC posters on this forum attempting to speak for POC in European countries by declaring accusations of discrimination as "US only" needs to stop in general.
YES.

What gives these assholes away is that they don't make just a single post about their ignorance and move on but go on and on about it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It was always weird to me. I assumed chickens/other unique southern dishes (ie. chitlins) came from the limited amount of ingredients available during slavery/reconstruction due to we just wouldn't have access to much of the basics.

Watermelon just felt so left field to me, its not like its a popular southern fruit or relatively cheap meal.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Anyone who's not in their first year on the internet and claiming they don't know the watermelon trope is suspicious as hell, no matter where they are from.
Not everyone browses 4chan. Most people (I hope) don't use their time in the internet in places where they would routinely encounter racist/offensive shit.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's disingenuous to roll into a thread stating, "I've never heard of this," when a simple online search can provide all the context you ever need for why people were upset. If you are not up to speed on a subject that seems to be controversial, maybe try educating yourself BEFORE posting. Your ignorance doesn't make the issue less controversial or important. Great thread here, everyone should know this type of stuff.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With so many different stereotypes, I never really questioned their origins. This article just shows how stupid humanity is, and how hard it is for that stupidity to die.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

Origins aside, its not a pervasive European racist image. I had never ever seen it in that context before going online. Potatoes are southern american, but potatoe esters was a slur against farmers here. Youre not making the point you think you are making.

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Um, ok. But your point is completely wrong.

No one in modern culture is aware of the Arab/Italian origination, because that isn't a stereotypical trope that exists today. The only trope that survived through modern times IS the African-American trope.

So I really don't see the point you are trying to make beyond clearly Googling for some gotcha fact to fit your broken thesis. The argument, if I understand it correctly, was that non-Americans weren't aware of an American stereotype. And somehow, the fact that Arabs and Italians were dehumanized for liking watermelon in 1801 means they should be aware of it?

At least the CTR thread is unlocked now so you can post your info their to educate those you feel is misguided. To be clear, it doesn't change the fact that regardless of whether someone is aware of a regional stereotype or not, they should quiet down and educate themselves before commenting specifically on a trope they clearly know nothing about.

OP
OP

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, not to derail, but I've seen my fair share of silliness from the Atlantic. What makes you assume that the Atlantic is automatically a more trustworthy or reliable source than Wikipedia?
No I don't think you are derailing. My point was to not say that The Atlantic is a better source. Just that Wikipedia is far too often the only source referenced.

OP
OP

olubode

Oct 28, 2017

No one in modern culture is aware of the Arab/Italian origination, because that isn't a stereotypical trope that exists today. The only trope that survived through modern times IS the African-American trope.

So I really don't see the point you are trying to make beyond clearly Googling for some gotcha fact to fit your broken thesis. The argument, if I understand it correctly, was that non-Americans weren't aware of an American stereotype. And somehow, the fact that Arabs and Italians were dehumanized for liking watermelon in 1801 means they should be aware of it?

At least the CTR thread is unlocked now so you can post your info their to educate those you feel is misguided. To be clear, it doesn't change the fact that regardless of whether someone is aware of a regional stereotype or not, they should quiet down and educate themselves before commenting specifically on a trope they clearly know nothing about.
Hi friend,
In the original thread I specifically said that the trope was not American in origin. People posted that it was and I provided another source on the same internet that it wasn't. What is the problem here?

Oct 28, 2017
Chicken is my favorite meat, and watermelon is my favorite fruit. I'm of Sicilian/Polish descent.

I never really understood why it was a stereotype. According to that article though it's because watermelon was a popular fruit for slaves to grow and sell once they had their freedom, so whites had to be mean and make the fruit symbolic of negative stereotypes. So fucking mean and stupid.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Id make the argument in race/minority marginalization issues its not surprising that the majority class can claim ignorance because that's part of the problem. ("What cops treat you guys differently?")

The bigger issue is that Europe has its own extensive issues with race that it loves to sweep under the rug which looks dubious when you have European posters in that thread saying they heard of that stereotype. So its probably a mix of American's grabbing the ball, along with "i am not racist" subconscious racism (the stereotype exists as per the euro posters in the thread, but the ones who never heard for it probably never really examined race issues in their country because they dont have to)

Oct 27, 2017
Id make the argument in race/minority marginalization issues its not surprising that the majority class can claim ignorance because that's part of the problem. ("What cops treat you guys differently?")

The bigger issue is that Europe has its own extensive issues with race that it loves to sweep under the rug which looks dubious when you have European posters in that thread saying they heard of that stereotype. So its probably a mix of American's grabbing the ball, along with "i am not racist" subconscious racism (the stereotype exists as per the euro posters in the thread, but the ones who never heard for it probably never really examined race issues in their country because they dont have to)
This is a pretty sweeping generalisation and I'm not sure of what evidence you're basing this on aside from your own conjecture?

Racism in Europe is extensive but exists in many different forms than the racism which exists within America, and being a continent with a wide variety of cultures with histories which extend for many centuries, it should hardly come as a surprise that the racist stereotypes and tropes exist within countries (and even smaller geographical regions) in Europe and are most prominently known in a region may not be reflective of what exists in America, and you don't need to have never reflected upon racial biases in Europe to not be aware of the existence of some tropes primarily American in a modern context. The term "black person" (or black man) is a massively offensive term in Irish ("black man" literally translates as "The Devil" and can be used as an incredibly negative descriptor of somebody, whereas the literal translation of "blue person" is the correct term for what in English is "black person"), but I'm not going to accuse Americans unaware of this of being ignorant and experiencing "I am not racist" subconscious racism or probably having never examined racism in their country.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
When this avatar got drawn for me about a decade ago, nobody involved (ie. me and the artist) quite realized the connotations involved.
Even then, it took several years for someone to point out to me what was wrong.

Since then, I've been very leery about running with this avatar. But it's about all I've got as a standard identifier.
The fact is, I enjoy eating watermelon, and this character's been stuck to me for over a decade now. i also know it makes me look like a raging furry :v

So, what are my thoughts on this? I have no idea. I'm Australian, in a particularly southern region. The whole trope was never really ever a discussion here - unless I'm mistaken (Queensland's probably gone done something dumb here).
It's sad and honestly horrifying such a trope became utilized in such a way. From what little I understand with the American situation, the crops the slaves had easiest access to at the time for a casual meal were watermelons? I don't know, really.

It's frustrating that the food had been weaponized against people, just because of its easy access. It's just a horrifying thought for me that it was weaponized in that way. It's ridiculous.

I think I'll retain the avatar still, but I feel very guilty about it whenever this sort of a subject comes up. It's a reminder that the world wasn't, and probably still isn't, a very nice place.
All because a particular group of people decided to find an excuse to pick on people thanks to their race, and what they had access to for leisure.

photonblack

Oct 27, 2017
Race/Class. why am I not surprised that the british hierarchy has everything to do with everything. Feudalism never died y'all.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This is a pretty sweeping generalisation and I'm not sure of what evidence you're basing this on aside from your own conjecture?

Racism in Europe is extensive but exists in many different forms than the racism which exists within America, and being a continent with a wide variety of cultures with histories which extend for many centuries, it should hardly come as a surprise that the racist stereotypes and tropes exist within countries (and even smaller geographical regions) in Europe and are most prominently known in a region may not be reflective of what exists in America, and you don't need to have never reflected upon racial biases in Europe to not be aware of the existence of some tropes primarily American in a modern context. The term "black person" (or black man) is a massively offensive term in Irish ("black man" literally translates as "The Devil" and can be used as an incredibly negative descriptor of somebody, whereas the literal translation of "blue person" is the correct term for what in English is "black person"), but I'm not going to accuse Americans unaware of this of being ignorant and experiencing "I am not racist" subconscious racism or probably having never examined racism in their country.

Yeah, but America pumps those stereotypes worldwide; the n-word is uniquely American but its a popular slur for black people everywhere. American animation is king and has been translated to every language known to earth...the watermelon stereotype was prevalent in their golden early years.

I agree with your points above, but it feels like semantics. Obviously there's unique cultural signifiers for racism but we are talking broad stereotypes. In the original post its either the watermelon stereotype didn't penetrate huge parts of Europe which was disproven by the posters saying they heard of it, or its proof people need to do a bit more self reflection on the racist tropes around them even if minor because that ignorance feels the racism machine.

I look at it sideways because there's a razor thin line between 'it doesnt exist here' which has been a popular defense of european racism and 'no big deal' which is basically racism, lol. Is it possible that specifically the watermelon stereotype didnt make it over as opposed to the other stereotypes? Sure. But unlikely.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
getting real damn tired of racist people taking ordinary things/signs/memes and turning them into flags, hate messages, etc. Hell I'm getting real tired of racists period. Its 2019 damnit. We should be arming ourselves against Asteroids and our biggest concern should be how to colonize Mars. Instead we get this shit...

Honestly, Your post is suspicious as hell. So everyone is supposed to know every single racist trope? These stupid racists make new shit up on a weekly basis. I can't enjoy a frog meme or give an ok sign anymore because of these bastards. Im sick of EVERYONE allowing these people to take a sign/meme/etc. and turn it into a hate message. Next time they take a sign, We should ignore it like they are a dog licking their asshole.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It was always weird to me. I assumed chickens/other unique southern dishes (ie. chitlins) came from the limited amount of ingredients available during slavery/reconstruction due to we just wouldn't have access to much of the basics.

Watermelon just felt so left field to me, its not like its a popular southern fruit or relatively cheap meal.
A lot of southern cuisine comes from slaves having to eat scraps and learning how to cook them

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but America pumps those stereotypes worldwide; the n-word is uniquely American but its a popular slur for black people everywhere. American animation is king and has been translated to every language known to earth...the watermelon stereotype was prevalent in their golden early years.

I agree with your points above, but it feels like semantics. Obviously there's unique cultural signifiers for racism but we are talking broad stereotypes. In the original post its either the watermelon stereotype didn't penetrate huge parts of Europe which was disproven by the posters saying they heard of it, or its proof people need to do a bit more self reflection on the racist tropes around them even if minor because that ignorance feels the racism machine.

I look at it sideways because there's a razor thin line between 'it doesnt exist here' which has been a popular defense of european racism and 'no big deal' which is basically racism, lol. Is it possible that specifically the watermelon stereotype didnt make it over as opposed to the other stereotypes? Sure. But unlikely.
What years are you specifically referring to with the bolded, because if you're referring to America's 'golden early years' of television which are typically thought to extend from the 30s to the late 50s/60s, you should surely be aware (given that we're in a thread about cultural awareness) that in many parts of Europe access to television was limited to the wealthy until the late 50s/mid 60s and furthermore access to television channels were largely confined to national and European channels, missing that golden age where American racial tropes were largely and prominently represented in American animation.

It's not really semantics; it's an incredibly important part of your broad generalisation. You're taking an incredibly binary approach of 'this racial trope doesn't exist here'/'this racial trope exists here' by thinking it is remotely disproven that a stereotype didn't penetrate large parts of Europe due to the existence of posters being aware of it. A foreign country's racial trope can be known by pockets within a location without awareness of that trope being something which is common, and it doesn't seem like you (nor do I) have anything to support the idea that particular racial tropes are anywhere nearly as pervasive/prevalent as other racial tropes which have received an even greater focus in American media. Posters within the thread pointed this out, claiming that the stereotype is not as prominent in their location as other tropes (which does not mean 'nobody' has heard of it, but it means the penetration in the region is lower than other American stereotypes). I'm not sure on what basis you're claiming that poster's unawareness of other countries' racial stereotypes are feeding some form of 'racism machine' when racial stereotypes are not necessarily 'broad global stereotypes' but can be highly influences by a location's own cultural history (just as American stereotypes have been formed; you refer to a 'slave' in an American context and it's going to be different to referring to a 'slave' in an Irish context). Just because you view some stereotypes as 'broad stereotypes' does not make it so for other regions and conflating "it does not exist" with "it's not too bad" seems misguided and like a more personal outlook you have when the former term does not typically literally mean "Nobody knows of this here; it literally does not exist" but rather "it's not very prevalent and only a small minority of the population are aware of the existence of this".

We literally had a thread only a few weeks ago where no shortage of posters engaged in some massively racially offensive suggestions regarding the naming of a child (https://www.resetera.com/threads/am-i-being-ridiculous-about-our-daughters-name.123692/) because they claimed to be ignorant of the racial connotations of anglicising an Irish name despite the history surrounding why this would be offensive being prominent in Irish and British media, a significant portion of the American population having Irish heritage, and it being explained repeatedly in the thread. That alone however is hardly sufficient to think those posters lacked an awareness about racial stereotypes prevalent in their country, even if they were ignorant, because the forms of racism which exist in an American context don't necessarily translate directly to other contexts (even if the same types of racism are almost certainly be present, they may not be nearly as prevalant which doesn't mean they don't exist but it means awareness and knowledge may be lower).

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Jesus, if anything watermelon has become a luxury these days, much like chicken cutlets and lobster.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Why are ancient white people dissing watermelons? Also, they make up some of the dumbest stereo types. "Haha look at them enjoying fruit, only a savage would take pleasure in such large and juicy produce"

In this age they'd be made fun of for it (doing something like trying to force such a lame stereotype on a symbol), but back then there was no internet, you were at the mercy of propaganda if you lacked critical thinking skills you'd be easy prey.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone browses 4chan. Most people (I hope) don't use their time in the internet in places where they would routinely encounter racist/offensive shit.
Assuming basic-ass racism 101 only appears on sites like 4chan is massively underselling what tf racism is.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Very well said. We've got a lot of cultural differences, but having interacted and worked with multiple Europeans over the years, they're not as daft to a lot of this racial stuff as people like to pretend.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Why are ancient white people dissing watermelons?
Because there are a lot of excessively stupid people in the world, and racist stereotypes are inherently stupid. They're also a valuable tool for getting masses of unthinking people to view a group as an "other", and maintain/create a social order that benefits a person (or group).

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just highlights how illogical and stupid racists and the racial aspect of their societies are. My favorite is this self inflicted wound:

1691: lmao look at that filthy slave's genitalia. It's akin to the mindless beasts we have wandering the countryside. He probably has half the intelligence of a mule and smells twice as bad lol!

1991: Umm, errr...Bethany (gulp) have you ever ... errr have you ever slept with a B.b.b.b.b....bb.. Black guy? You'd never right?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Went to a family gathering years ago hosted by an aunt and uncle of mine, we brought watermelon. My aunt literally said "Only black people eat watermelon." We left their house, and I haven't seen either of them again to this day. Good riddance to garbage humans.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
what sucks is that there are some who put off by watermelon because of the connotation. its like....doesn't EVERYONE love watermelon? why limit yourself.

That being said, I have cut up watermelon in the fridge right now, cooling down, and later I will have a bowl of it in lime juice and Tajin.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory generalizations on the basis of nationality; history of inflammatory commentary towards other nationalities
I didn't know that until this thread. So... according to you, I'm a damn racist. Fine, if you want to believe that, by all means.

Thanks for this thread OP; quite informative. Living in Latin America, I have never seen something like this so I didn't have the slightest idea watermelons were associated to a stereotype to offend black people. Each day my hate towards the gringos increase more and more. The day the United States dissolve it will be a great day.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I was just wondering this after seeing the CTR thread, thanks. Known the stereotype for ages but never knew the origin.

OP
OP

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
what sucks is that there are some who put off by watermelon because of the connotation. its like....doesn't EVERYONE love watermelon? why limit yourself.

That being said, I have cut up watermelon in the fridge right now, cooling down, and later I will have a bowl of it in lime juice and Tajin.
Shit hurts man.