• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've enjoyed Kirby games for a bit. The two 3DS mainline games were some of the best entries. I remember when Star Allies came out. There was a demo and I saw some video reviews. I'm not a frame-rate obsessive, but going to 30FPS was a bummer. But I skipped the title.

But I do miss mainline Kirby. They're nice palate cleansers.

I may just replay Return to Dreamland lol.

Return to Dreamland>Triple Deluxe>Planet Robobot was such a feast of awesome for Kirby fans.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice! It's Kirby, and some of the new abilities are cool and co-op stuff is as usual, probably closer to Dreamland that the 3DS ones imo.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Personally I found it fun, but disappointing. I didn't really feel like going back to it after beating the True Arena equivalent.

...which is a real shame, because they've updated the game a LOT after release, adding new characters to play as, bosses, and an even harder difficulty for the Arena mode. Plus they added a lot of really cool music.

I would say go for it. But just know that it's not going to be as good as the those three Kirby games on the Wii and 3DS, and I think you'll still have a fun time.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Just a fun standard Kirby, though I think one area is really cool with some Milky Way Wishes vibes. It's had lots of updates too. 30fps is still disappointing though.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Bought it for the kids & played a little multiplayer with them and they liked it. The general vibe I got was that it's a decent game if you like Kirby, but not a must-have.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Very light on content, at release, and really too easy.
The updates improved it a lot, overall I really liked it but I wish there was way more content.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I enjoy using the post release characters that run through the series history with some fun movesets, they still have to exist within a base game that's one of the most unremarkable entries in the series.

It's a bit like Squeak Squad in that it exists as a competent Kirby game but nothing more than that, and much like how that entry felt a bit tired building off the same style as the GBA games, this Switch entry is still more of the Wii's Return to Dreamland formula so it's quite long in the tooth if you played the previous 3DS ones.

Last edited:

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Really underwhelming, unfortunately. I absolutely adored Planet Robobot (my favorite in the whole series) so my expectations were high, but it's really just a middle of the road Kirby that has a lot of respect for the history of the series.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
So the game is still 60 bucks on the eShop? Damn lol.

I see some physical copies going for 50. I'm usually digital but may just spring physical here.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
it's not a top tier Kirby by any stretch, but it's fine

the DLC characters are the real meat

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
30fps kind of sours the package, and it's too easy as well. The music is lovely though!

You could just play the many Kirby games that's available as part of Nintendo Switch Online instead ... 😊

Planet Robobot on the 3DS is ssoooo much better than Star Allies.

So the game is still 60 bucks on the eShop?

I believe this was a third off a little while back — at $39.99 — which you could patiently wait for...

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you're the type to drop Kirby games after "beating" them, then it's a solid/good game. If you're like most core Kirby fans who spend hours in the post game (Arenas, and new modes) then Star Allies is unmatched by nearly every other mainline Kirby. Guest Star adds so much content, and you can play as all your favorite characters from past games.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
30fps kind of sours the package, and it's too easy as well. The music is lovely though!

You could just play the many Kirby games that's available as part of Nintendo Switch Online instead ... 😊

Planet Robobot on the 3DS is ssoooo much better than Star Allies.

I believe this was a third off a little while back — at $39.99 — which you could patiently wait for...
Interesting. Didn't know it went on sale. I'll just wait then.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby Star Allies was a fun game. Not a top 5 all time Kirby game, but a solid experience.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty fun and solid (even if the 30 fps is a bit jarring), and I love what they did with the general progression of the game. That said, in terms of gameplay it feels pretty basic and in some instances made with multiple people in mind *glances at True Arena*.

But I'm a Kirby fan, so I swallow anything.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna quickly add that this game's main menu is rad though
Even outside the little character cameos and mini scenes, it just has a great looking interface, lovely style and the boss rush mode difficulty selector is 10/10

CarefulScaryDaddylonglegs-max-14mb.gif

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The main campaign is a little underwhelming, and the 3 AI partners make the fairly easy kirby main game even easier than normal. If you did 2 or 4 player co-op I imagine it's alright? Though it's still easy.

The post-launch stuff adds a lot of guest star characters to play as which have fun playstyles and some harder levels as well. I think that's where the most fun will be had.

Shame it's 30 FPS as we..

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It was waaay too easy and boring in single-player, even for a Kirby game. I haven't played it in multiplayer but I imagine it's a bit more fun.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna quickly add that this game's main menu is rad though
Even outside the little character cameos and mini scenes, it just has a great looking interface, lovely style and the boss rush mode difficulty selector is 10/10

CarefulScaryDaddylonglegs-max-14mb.gif
Oh Smash Brothers lol.

Makes sense with the Sakurai connection--although Sakurai hasn't messed with Kirby games for a long time.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this game had a very important lore about Kirby as a character himself, if you're into this thing.
For that alone, I'm really excited about the next game.
Does the DLC add levels or campaign/adventure material or you play the same levels as other character?
There is a mini campaign, following directly the main game's story, but it's also not super long.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
It's decent, but really nothing remarkable for the majority of the campaign. The last boss is a very cool highlight, but if you're wary of middling Kirby games I'm not sure it's worth seeing it through.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's decent, but really nothing remarkable for the majority of the campaign. The last boss is a very cool highlight, but if you're wary of middling Kirby games I'm not sure it's worth seeing it through.
Yeah, got burned with Squeak Squad and Mass Attack.

Canvas Curse was great though.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping for more

The difficulty appears to be uneven as well IMO

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
My kids loved it because it was easy and they could play it together.

I think it would be worth it if you have someone to play it with. From what I saw I think you are much better off getting Tropical Freeze or Luigi's Mansion if you are going to play by yourself.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really didn't enjoy it and consider it the most boring mainline Kirby game. Stages go on way too long for how little creativity is in them. Bosses are way too easy, even for a Kirby game, and it isn't until the "Another Dimension" content that they get slightly more typical Kirby Boss attack patterns.

The last boss is literally the only thing I can remember enjoying about it, even then it's a 6/10 boss fight and goes on way too long.

Morpho Knight was an interesting concept and I love how he gets different boss themes depending on the character you use....except he dies before the tracks ever "start"

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
it's an INCREDIBLY safe game. There is plenty there after all the updates but it's more a game that would be best enjoyed in co-op. Plan on buying it outright when my daughter gets done with her current game so we can play together.