• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I've been itching to pull the trigger on this one, but I'd like to know first if the game is working competently on consoles. Anybody had the chance to go through it?

I've been reading good things about it from PC folks who played it, seems to be a Stalker/Metro experience, but slimmed down, with base-building and resource management. That sounds riiiight up my alley, but just need that one extra push, and confirm if it's not some monstrosity of a port.

Normally I'd ask this in the OT, but it's a ghost town from the looks of it.

Mod Note: Threads merged, and due to a mistake with the merging process, Bansai came out as the OP (apologies to the older OP)

Last edited by a moderator:

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
It's a fairly well-made and self-contained story. I cannot speak for the console ports, but the PC version was solid. Won't win any massive design or game awards, but will deliver what it promises.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
I played for an hour (With Series X), but the 30FPS bothers me. I'm waiting for the nextgen release. :(

Oct 25, 2017
A bit janky in places (particularly UI) but overall a fantastic and pretty unique game.
Not perfect but the parts that work, REALLY work

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
It's fabulous! Looks great, excellent storyline, wonderful locales. Performance has its iffy moments, but otherwise, it's fantastic!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I've put about 4.5 hours into this on PC. I gotta say, this looks great and runs smooth as hell. Running this on a laptop with an i7 11800H with a 3060 at 1440p, everything on Ultra and it's a rock solid 60 with the highest quality DLSS enabled, but it's pretty rad that this supports FSR as well.

The game itself, I'm really liking! Creepy, and I like running around a photorealistic environment looking for scrap and shit. The story itself is actually really good so far, too. Also, now I know everyone and their uncle says to play it with the voices in Russian and the closed captioning in English, but I found it too distracting reading to take in the awesome scenery. Not to mention but I think the English voice acting is pretty darned good, too.

Fallout 4 REEEEAALLY turned me off from base building but this has difficulty settings for a bunch of different parameters and building is one of them. I'm only a bit into the game and I've got multiple generators, a bunch of bunks and furniture, all kinds of manufacturing and shit. It isn't annoying in the least so far, and I've been enjoying finding resources.

I don't know how the console versions are, but if you've got even a decent PC it runs like a dream and looks a treat. I recommend giving it a shot. The missions are short, compartmentalized, and a fun jaunt without wearing out their welcome.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
One of the videos I saw on YouTube showed the Series S/X versions are still running it at 30fps. I'll be keen to jump on it once a 60fps patch or native support arrives.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Played through it on PC a few weeks ago. Biggest surprise in years and currently sitting at the top of my 2021 GOTY list.

Amazing game with super cool mechanics.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This is more like This War of Mine in first person, than Stalker/Metro IMO. I certainly had a good time with it, though I fell off pretty quickly due to other releases at the time

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Looks interesting. I want to play it on PC, just don't have the time. I'm also not sure about the resource management and base building. It's so often not implemented in a way that's fun for me. With how much people seem to be enjoying it I'm going to give it a shot.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
there's also this from Tuesday
www.resetera.com

How was Chernobylite?

I noticed it comes out today on console and wonder what the general consensus of the game has been here? I know it's been on PC for a little bit now. If most of the experiences here are generally positive, I'm considering getting it got my Series X. I appreciate the feedback!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I finished the game on PC and really enjoyed it, it was a pretty good surprise, i thought it would be fake shovelware style to surf on metro themes, since the trailer looked too good to be real... but it was real.
It s been a very very quiet release though.

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I finished the game on PC and really enjoyed it, it was a pretty good surprise, i thought it would be fake shovelware style to surf on metro themes, since the trailer looked too good to be real... but it was real.

This is what I was also semi-expecting after watching the initial footage, not gonna lie. But it seems like the game delivered on the promise, which is rare from project like that in my experience.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly enjoying this quite a damn bit. The bite-sized nature of the missions and the excellent writing mean a lot to me, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit more than the Metro games (Not hating, I like those as well).
Definitely a very nice surprise.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
I'm on series x and enjoying the shit out of this. It's 30 fps but it's a smooth 30fps with what I think is excellent frame pacing. The game is so slow paced that it doesn't detract from gameplay imo.

The story is bizarre in a great way, with lots of mystery, and as others have said visually it's gorgeous. I'm hoping the series x update gives us 60 with improved textures and hdr.
Base building and resource hunting is fun because it doesn't feel grindy.

i really do feel as though I'm visiting pripyat and Chernobyl in this game, as the designers have done an incredible job creating atmosphere and sense of place. It's scary, tense, mysterious, and fun all at once.

Finally, they way missions are designed really supports either long or quick play sessions. Which is nice as I'm usually tired after work. But I've been popping this on for an hour or so a day, making good progress, without feeling overwhelmed.

For the price, I recommend the game.

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Alrighty, bought the game, wanted to boot it up for a quick tutorial/mission and I ended up sinking 3 or 4 hours, lol.

"just one more run, gotta get those XYZs"

Very fun and atmospheric game. Port (I'm on PS5 through BC) isn't half bad, but I wouldn't call it amazing either, 30 fps and that overwhelming motion blur are the standout offenders, but other than that, fairly solid. As for the game itself, I can see this loop keeping me in its grips for many hours, story is also shaping up to be worthwhile, curious where all this'll lead.

Oct 27, 2017
Alrighty, bought the game, wanted to boot it up for a quick tutorial/mission and I ended up sinking 3 or 4 hours, lol.

"just one more run, gotta get those XYZs"

Very fun and atmospheric game. Port (I'm on PS5 through BC) isn't half bad, but I wouldn't call it amazing either, 30 fps and that overwhelming motion blur are the standout offenders, but other than that, fairly solid. As for the game itself, I can see this loop keeping me in its grips for many hours, story is also shaping up to be worthwhile, curious where all this'll lead.
I'm really glad you're enjoying it. It feels like outside of the kickstarter period people are really sleeping on this title.

I feel like this is the kind of game that is going to become a cult classic at some point.
Seems they got a pretty aggressive content pipeline going on too for a single player game. Supposed to be some big monster DLC for Halloween.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018

It's from the same team that made Get even, which isn't perfect but it was a interesting game especially for looking like low budget FPS but I did like it. it's far from perfect. And it's not really a FPS like you would think it was and I suspect that this one is the same.

Oct 27, 2017
It's from the same team that made Get even, which isn't perfect but it was a interesting game especially for looking like low budget FPS but I did like it. it's far from perfect. And it's not really a FPS like you would think it was and I suspect that this one is the same.
If I could make any changes it would be that there would be more shooting actually. I love the loop resource gathering and missions, the combat's not too bad either. I'm interested in this monster DLC they're talking about in a few weeks

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Does it play like a roguelite?

Not at all. This is by all means a classic "story" game, but the gameplay loop is daily, so:

morning - you wake up, assign missions to yourself and team members you recruited from the zone
midday to evening/night - you're on a mission, and you scavenge for all sorts of shit (supplies, ammo, weapons etc.)
night - you use your resource to build your base, upgrade your equipment, allies, and train

All the while you're progressing with the story at your own pace (at least at the point where I'm at). So it's easy to just say to yourself "let's go on one more scavenging run".

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It's not really like Metro. Has much more in common (like atmosphere) with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I see a lot of similarities to both games, personally. Map and plot structure is more akin to Metro (especially second one, with those open ended maps), rather than STALKER. There's emphasis on stealth, rather than killing people, gas mask, filters etc.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
I see a lot of similarities to both games, personally. Map and plot structure is more akin to Metro (especially second one, with those open ended maps), rather than STALKER. There's emphasis on stealth, rather than killing people, gas mask, filters etc.
Nah. Doesn't have the grit of Metro (this is a good thing, considering they're very different at the core) and is much more drab and lonely (which is akin to S.T A .L .K .E .R.). There are a few minor similarities to Metro, but it feels much more like a modern S.T.A.L.K.E.R. And there is not a "both games". I'm talking about all of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (from Chernobyl to Pripyat). Chernobylite has much more in common with that.

That said, sure, the stealth sections have a cut of feel to Metro (particularly Last Light), but then, a lot of games have stealth like it, so it doesn't feel exclusively pulled from that source. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., on the other hand, doesn't really have an equal and Chernobylite is the closest thing to it. As a massive S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan, it was an easy purchase and one I would recommend to other fans over Metro (despite how much I loved the Metro series and how great the books are). The books, if nothing else, make it feel even less like Chernobylite, in fact, but different subject for another time. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Nah. Doesn't have the grit of Metro (this is a good thing, considering they're very different at the core) and is much more drab and lonely (which is akin to S.T A .L .K .E .R.). There are a few minor similarities to Metro, but it feels much more like a modern S.T.A.L.K.E.R. And there is not a "both games". I'm talking about all of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (from Chernobyl to Pripyat). Chernobylite has much more in common with that.

That said, sure, the stealth sections have a cut of feel to Metro (particularly Last Light), but then, a lot of games have stealth like it, so it doesn't feel exclusively pulled from that source. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., on the other hand, doesn't really have an equal and Chernobylite is the closest thing to it. As a massive S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan, it was an easy purchase and one I would recommend to other fans over Metro (despite how much I loved the Metro series and how great the books are). The books, if nothing else, make it feel even less like Chernobylite, in fact, but different subject for another time. :D

Agree to disagree. The more I play, the more I see inspirations from both games, series. Even the main plot seems like a blend of the two: Stalker with the consciousness themes, and Metro with the supernatural stuff, the VR space looked like it was ripped straight out of Metro 2033's Ethereal . There's decisions based on your morality, which I'm guessing will also impact the ending we're gonna get, emphasis on sparing your foes, even the way we customize our weapons screams Last Light or Exodus to me. Combine all of that together, plus what I mentioned in my previous post, and I see some pretty clear inspirations.

I wouldn't also say Chernobylite is 'lonely', it is anything but, there's a lot of character interactions, and they seem pretty important in the grand scheme of things. It's lonely when we're out exploring, with few exceptions, but the same can be said about both series. At least that's my take on it - I'm guessing that's mostly due to the bite sized nature of the gameplay loop, where you're often steered into some conversation after every 15-30 minutes or so post run.

Either way, I played for about 4 more hours today, and I'm still loving it. Though the person who thought so much motion blur is fine, is probably a sadist, or trying to conduct an experiment on whether or not it's possible for somebody to OD on motion blur.

I'm really hoping they won't abandon console ports, because I can see myself going back to this for upcoming DLCs. There's just too few post-apo experiences like that.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
So after i watched some videos this seems like something i might be into . Looks like it borrows a lot from State of Decay and i love that game, and has some Fallout sprinkled in...also a game i like.
But the console perf, wooooof. Ill wait for the series X update and if thats as bad as the other console ports ill grab it on PC. Not sure if the PC version is any good either ill have to watch some vids on that.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Agree to disagree. The more I play, the more I see inspirations from both games, series. Even the main plot seems like a blend of the two: Stalker with the consciousness themes, and Metro with the supernatural stuff, the VR space looked like it was ripped straight out of Metro 2033's Ethereal . There's decisions based on your morality, which I'm guessing will also impact the ending we're gonna get, emphasis on sparing your foes, even the way we customize our weapons screams Last Light or Exodus to me. Combine all of that together, plus what I mentioned in my previous post, and I see some pretty clear inspirations.

I wouldn't also say Chernobylite is 'lonely', it is anything but, there's a lot of character interactions, and they seem pretty important in the grand scheme of things. It's lonely when we're out exploring, with few exceptions, but the same can be said about both series. At least that's my take on it - I'm guessing that's mostly due to the bite sized nature of the gameplay loop, where you're often steered into some conversation after every 15-30 minutes or so post run.

Either way, I played for about 4 more hours today, and I'm still loving it. Though the person who thought so much motion blur is fine, is probably a sadist, or trying to conduct an experiment on whether or not it's possible for somebody to OD on motion blur.

I'm really hoping they won't abandon console ports, because I can see myself going back to this for upcoming DLCs. There's just too few post-apo experiences like that.
Chernobylite is lonely compared to Metro, where there is far more interaction and communication from your team (especially Exodus). There is no disputing that. But I stand by my assessment, either way. Similarities are one thing, but Chernobylite is much more like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Everything about this peaks my interest except the base building. I despised the settlements in FO4. Is this any better? I found FO4 too complicated. I can deal with it a bit but I hate building structures and what not. If I have to place a bench and a stove I think I'd be fine. Is the core game strong enough for a survival horror/rpg fan to get through the base building or no?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I like the setting, but I really hate base building. If it didn't have base building, I probably would have bought it already.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Everything about this peaks my interest except the base building. I despised the settlements in FO4. Is this any better? I found FO4 too complicated. I can deal with it a bit but I hate building structures and what not. If I have to place a bench and a stove I think I'd be fine. Is the core game strong enough for a survival horror/rpg fan to get through the base building or no?

I like the setting, but I really hate base building. If it didn't have base building, I probably would have bought it already.

I reviewed the game and I despise any sort of base building and crafting. Base building in Chernobylite is very simple and not much of an issue at all on the Normal difficulty level. You don't have to carefully manage the space (there's plenty of room for everything), there are only three types of resources (which means that you don't have to gather tons of different stuff to build something) and the solution to every issue is completely straightforward. There are also separate difficulty sliders for each facet of the game so you can make base building completely trivial if you want in terms of required resources.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
It has little to do with the Metro series, except a similar setting, to be honest.

I've been playing it and I gotta say I'm enjoying it, the atmosphere is excellent and the missions are very interesting. It's definitely a sequel to Get Even, surreal dream sequences and mysterious women included. Not very far though, and the game on Xbox One X has this weird stuttering issue every so often where the game hangs up for a second at times. Maybe it gets better later, because the game is so intringuing I wanna finish it.

There is a very extensive roadmap for the game, hopefully it will optimize it as well.