• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
nov2020-banner1.png

The United States General Election will be held on November 3rd and it's shaping up to be an election unlike any other. In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic we've received a number of requests from members for information about how to vote safely while ensuring that your votes are counted. As a service to our American members, we have collected all of the relevant information you might need in this thread.

Your one stop shop for the essentials is Vote.org. Make sure you are registered to vote, and if you intend to vote on Election Day, find your polling place ahead of time.
Note that you won't just be voting for President, and there will be any number of candidates and issues that deserve your attention up and down the ballot. You can make sure that you are prepared by checking out your Sample Ballot at Ballotpedia. This will let you know exactly what to expect when you enter the booth on Election Day. The Ballot Measures tool from Vote Smart also offers detailed descriptions of the ballot measures up for vote in every state, including complete text, sponsors, and election results.

For those who do not wish to risk standing in line on Election Day, there are alternative options available to you. Below you will find details and resources relevant to each of them.

Voting by Mail

Mailing in an absentee ballot may be an attractive option for many, and as long as you act quickly, it should be safe and effective. Due to concerns about the speed of USPS mail following recent budget cuts and management issues, it is strongly recommended that voters who choose this option request absentee ballots as soon as possible and make sure that they are mailed in long before Election Day. If your ballot is not received by the state before Election Day, it might not be counted. Don't wait.

In-Person Early Voting

Forty states and the District of Columbia have some form of early voting in place, allowing voters to cast their ballot in person while avoiding crowds. Some states have even extended early voting due to the pandemic. The National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) website has detailed information on early voting for each state, and Vote.org also provides a similar resource. This can be a great option for those who want to avoid the November 3rd crowds.

Drop-off Ballots at a Local Election Office or Polling Location

If you do not want to risk mailing in your absentee ballot, almost all states allow voters to deliver ballots in person at their local election office. To find a list of local election offices, you can search your state Board of Elections website or Secretary of State website.

If you do not live close enough to return your ballot to an election office, you may be able to return it to an alternative location. According to the NCSL, eleven states and Washington D.C. allow voters to drop off ballots at any in-person voting locations in the county, including Arizona, California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

Some states allow a family member or someone else to collect and deliver absentee ballots on your behalf. The NCSL website has details on the rules governing ballot collection in each state.

Drop Boxes

Drop boxes are special containers for voters to drop off absentee ballots in sealed envelopes. These have become more commonplace in the last decade, and are an efficient and secure way to return your ballot while entirely skipping the mail process. Those monitored by surveillance cameras are often available 24 hours per day, seven days per week, while others that are monitored by election workers have specified hours of operation.

The number of drop boxes varies widely by state. The NCSL website has details on drop box availability in each state. Eleven states have ballot drop boxes set up in some or all counties: Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

t1604379600z1.png

Sources:
Official Staff Communication
This thread can be used by members to share information and tips about how, where, and when to vote safely in each state. Please remain focused on the act of voting. It is NOT a General Election OT.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Anyone from California have their ballot yet? Still don't have mine.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I've like quad checked that I'm registered to vote. America, we can do this. Vote!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Confirmed my wife and I are registered but sucks we can't vote by mail. Also kinda sucks to live in a deep blue state. Damn you electoral college for making my vote count less! Still voting, it's just annoying.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I voted for the Dem primary earlier this year but just made sure I was still registered. Shame the best my state gets is a six day extension of early voting in October so I'm gonna have to mask up.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Registered to vote in Alabama. Hope my vote for Doug Jones in the senate race will matter but it's a long shot

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
This is a pretty embarrassing question, but when it asks me to enroll in a political party, can I just skip this and opt to go with no party and vote for whoever I want to?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the resources yall. I made myself calendar reminders to go early vote when I visit home on my vacation time. I'd rather go do that and not deal with the cluster on a time with covid

Kentucky absentee ballot deadline October 9, vote in-person early starting October 10

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky Residents, register online for an absentee ballot by October 9, or vote in-person early starting October 10th.

Just like for the Primary, there are two main alternatives to voting on election day.

First, you can request an absentee ballot through this website, the deadline is October 9. Then you can mail it back or drop it off at a drop box

If you don't trust voting via absentee ballot or would just rather vote in person, you can vote early. If you want to vote early, you will be able to vote in person at your designated voting location on weekdays starting October 10th up until Election day (excluding holidays).

More information taken from Kentucky's Secretary of State website.
Absentee ballot by mail
  • Kentuckians concerned with contracting or spreading COVID-19 can request a ballot by mail.
  • An online portal will launch within the week to allow Kentuckians to request a ballot by mail. Ballots can be requested through the portal through Oct. 9.
  • Medical emergency absentee ballots requested can continue to be submitted from October 10th through November 3rd via traditional means.
  • Mail ballots must be postmarked by Election Day, Nov. 3, and received by Nov. 6.
  • Drop boxes will be available for Kentuckians to return their mail ballots if they are concerned about postal delays. County clerks will determine these locations.

Early voting
  • Beginning Oct. 13, three weeks before the election, every work day between Oct. 13 and Election Day, and every Saturday for at least four hours, every county clerk will provide a location for safe in-person voting.
  • Early voting is not absentee voting – anyone can vote early for any reason.

Election Day voting

• County election officials will decide election sites on Election Day. The State Board of Elections, Secretary of State and Governor will approve each plan.
  • Every county will have at least one voting super-center, where everyone from the county can go to vote, regardless of his or her precinct.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I requested absentee here in NC and I still have yet to receive my ballot. They said they would be delivered no later than Sept 6th. Starting to worry.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I requested absentee here in NC and I still have yet to receive my ballot. They said they would be delivered no later than Sept 6th. Starting to worry.

Can you still vote in person so long as you don't return your mail-in ballot? Might want to check on when early voting starts, just in case.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
After not having done it well past when Ohio says you have to get your out of state drivers license switched over, I finally got an Ohio license last week. I still had like a year left before my out of state license expired and I rarely drive. I did it solely to vote in a state where my vote for president would actually matter, instead of a deep red state.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My absentee primary ballot in DC never arrived (although my wife's did), so I missed my first election. Here's to hoping the general election ballot actually comes (and if not I'll definitely vote in person). Haven't seen any info on when DC's Board of Election is sending out ballots that I've seen.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
My absentee primary ballot in DC never arrived (although my wife's did), so I missed my first election. Here's to hoping the general election ballot actually comes (and if not I'll definitely vote in person). Haven't seen any info on when DC's Board of Election is sending out ballots that I've seen.

I found this chart here:
www.businessinsider.com

Why you should request your November mail ballot as soon as possible, and when you can expect to receive it

North Carolina became the first state to start mailing ballots on September 4, with most others set to send ballots three to six weeks beforehand.

Say mid-October for DC.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It is pretty appalling some states don't offer online voter registration.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
If you live in a deeply entrenched state and want to do something else to help increase turnout in swing states, one thing that you could do is sign up to text or write letters in swing states.

There are a lot of organizations that you can use to do this and it's easy.

One such site would be Vote Forward:

Vote Forward

Vote Forward volunteers send heartfelt handwritten letters to unregistered and low-propensity voters encouraging them to participate in our democracy. The letters have been shown to significantly boost voter turnout.

Crooked Media's Vote Save America Adopt-a-State program is another:

votesaveamerica.com

Vote Save America

Vote Save America is the one-stop shop for everything you need to get informed, get involved, and get out the vote in the most important election of our lifetime.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
If you live in a deeply entrenched state and want to do something else to help increase turnout in swing states, one thing that you could do is sign up to text or write letters in swing states.

There are a lot of organizations that you can use to do this and it's easy.

One such site would be Vote Forward:

Vote Forward

Vote Forward volunteers send heartfelt handwritten letters to unregistered and low-propensity voters encouraging them to participate in our democracy. The letters have been shown to significantly boost voter turnout.

Crooked Media's Vote Save America Adopt-a-State program is another:

votesaveamerica.com

Vote Save America

Vote Save America is the one-stop shop for everything you need to get informed, get involved, and get out the vote in the most important election of our lifetime.

This is great I'm getting my mom and sister to do this.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I already got our absentee ballots and delivered them to the board of elections. Never voted this early before

Speaker

One Winged Slayer
May 18, 2019
Does anyone know when early voting starts in AZ? Want to get my vote in as early as possible.

Oct. 5 - Last day to register

Oct. 7 - Is the first day to vote in person. You have until Oct. 30 to vote early in Arizona

Oct. 7- First day ballots are sent

Oct. 23 - Last day to request a ballot

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
This is a pretty embarrassing question, but when it asks me to enroll in a political party, can I just skip this and opt to go with no party and vote for whoever I want to?
Yes. In the general election you can vote for whoever you want to no matter what your party affiliation is.
In primaries it varies by state. States with closed primaries will only allow you to vote amongst the candidates in the party you are registered under.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Got excited at the title but looks like the early voting centers in my county (Wake, NC) don't open until 10/15.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
I live in Maryland and October 22nd is the first day of early voting. I am counting down the minutes.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Yes. In the general election you can vote for whoever you want to no matter what your party affiliation is.
In primaries it varies by state. States with closed primaries will only allow you to vote amongst the candidates in the party you are registered under.

Okay, thanks. I did some more research after that post, too.

How long does it take for them to accept your voter registration? Did it Saturday and haven't heard back yet.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Okay, thanks. I did some more research after that post, too.

How long does it take for them to accept your voter registration? Did it Saturday and haven't heard back yet.
I see from your profile you are in New York. In Florida there is a website where where you can look up your voter registration and check to see if you are active and eligible to vote. A quick Google search revealed that New York has a similar site. Go here:

Voter Search Screen for VoterLookUp

Check to see if you are already registered and eligible. It's only been a couple of days so if not I'd give them until the end of the week. After that start hassling them.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
isn't "early voting has begun in NC" misleading? i had to check the dates because I was confused by the thread title and thought it was next month. mail-in voting has begun, but most people in NC are talking about in-person when they say early voting

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone answer me if I select straight party ticket on a Michigan ballot, do I or should I select each candidate individually as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.