• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Weird question I know but I know people who do it. A quick google search expounds the myriad of apparent benefits of it and it seems anyone who has attempted to define simply states it as taking a shower exclusively with the water set to cold.

Everyone time I attempt it though it goes beyond a level of discomfort that I can stand. I feel like I can barely breath to the point it almost feels like suffocation and all of my blood rushes to my vitals in a way that makes my extremities go numb. My adrenaline starts pumping and the only thing I can think of is "I have to stop the source of this immediately" and it usually ends in me shutting off the water and needing a minute or 2 to recuperate after 30 seconds under the water. So I'm looking for tips how exactly is it accomplished? What is the trick to overcoming the discomfort and being able to take a cold shower?

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Slightly change the temperature of your water every 30 seconds to get your body adjusted.

I haven't done it in a long time, but that's how I did it.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I just do it. It doesn't bother me at all.

As for a trick? Maybe start with it lukewarm and go down from there over the course of a few minutes.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its only uncomfortable for a few times and then your body will adjust.

Going from hot to cold is no fun. But you can do that.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Used to do on days of brutal heat in the mornings. Don't go fully cold and just jump in. Should be the same benefits.

Alternatively, slowly lower the temp each day and that should work wonders, too.

Last time my water boiler blew, I biked a mile to take a hot shower at my brother's instead lol

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As noted already, reverse boiling frog. Start at whatever water temp you normally shower with and gradually lower it. You don't have to reach a cold temp in one shower. Do it over several days where the starting temp is bit lower than before. If the shower uses a single handle faucet, it makes it somewhat easier.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's a bit of a shock, but the body adjusts to the cold water pretty quickly.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
Just jump in OP

i10.0.gif

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the people who do it are already so fit/athletes that all those stories of "it helping" might be biased

The average dude going into cold shower will have lots of trouble. Might even hyperventilate...

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Try lightly flicking water on your core as you stand in front of the shows. Your arms and legs will be fine, it's your chest (head and back) that probably needs some prep. Then go for it.

You can't really outthink you way through this.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I feel like the people who do it are already so fit/athletes that all those stories of "it helping" might be biased

The average dude going into cold shower will have lots of trouble. Might even hyperventilate...

I would consider myself relatively athletic.

Pretty sure most of the supposed benefits of cold showers are complete nonsense.

Possibly, but I have a vested interest in trying.

You turn the water on and get in, OP.

You're wisdom astounds me! I just need to pull up (and off) my bootstraps and just get in.

It's a bit of a shock, but the body adjusts to the cold water pretty quickly.

This has not been my experience. Although maybe I just need to stick with it longer.

Its only uncomfortable for a few times and then your body will adjust.

Going from hot to cold is no fun. But you can do that.

So if I force it a few times I'll be fine?

Yeaaaaaaaah.

OP, there are countless other scientifically verifiable ways to take care of yourself before you have to stoop to the level of cold showers.

I just bought some multivitamins what more do you want from me!

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
We can adapt to pretty severe circumstances. I'd never heard of people preaching that cold showers are beneficial, though I did live in a terrible apartment for about nine months in the 2000s that didn't have working gas, so I showered in the morning and evening in frigid water.

If anything it adds to daily stress, it was awful and I would never do that again willingly

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Sit in a sauna for 20 minutes first and you won't have any difficulties to take a cold shower.

Sometimes sit in my vehicle for 5-10 minutes on 90 degree days because it feels good.

Try lightly flicking water on your core as you stand in front of the shows. Your arms and legs will be fine, it's your chest (head and back) that probably needs some prep. Then go for it.

You can't really outthink you way through this.

That's what I was afraid of

There are three benefits to taking cold showers:
1. It's refreshing
2. Consumes less energy
3. Maybe your skin won't get so fucked up

Not sure about anything beyond that.

While those are good and other potential benefits are great it's also partially an attempt at personal discipline.

Jogging in place is what I do.

An option to consider for sure

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
That would require giving up my 20 minute hot shower every morning. It's how I've started my day for pretty much my entire life.

Wake up.
Brush teeth.
Take a shit.
Get in hot, steamy shower or bath for ~20min.

If I don't get that (happens about a dozen times a year) I'm in a bad mood the rest of the day :-/

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Concentrate on your breathing, force yourself to take a deep breath, then another, and keep doing it. At some point, you'll notice you don't have difficulties to breathe anymore and that the water is not that cold after all.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
That would require giving up my 20 minute hot shower every morning. It's how I've started my day for pretty much my entire life.

Wake up.
Brush teeth.
Take a shit.
Get in hot, steamy shower or bath for ~20min.

If I don't get that (happens about a dozen times a year) I'm in a bad mood the rest of the day :-/

Try coffee. Also a morning run.

I'll be honest 90% of the time I only do 1 of those but then I'll get on a kick for a few weeks where I run every morning and feel amazing and tell everyone how amazing it is. And then... one morning I'll decide I'm too tired to get up and that ends the cycle.

Concentrate on your breathing, force yourself to take a deep breath, then another, and keep doing it. At some point, you'll notice you don't have difficulties to breathe anymore and that the water is not that cold after all.

I think I can do that. I'll find out

Cold showers are great, good for the planet also, less energy spend.

The planet is great but in terms of my personal energy expenditure it's minimal due to being pro-rated for a year.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I work 12 hour shifts for two weeks straight in some very humid conditions. That second cold shower at the end of the day is mana from heaven.

adelante

Oct 27, 2017
What I'd usually do is just wash my hair first don't need to get the rest of your body wet. You'll somehow adapt better to cold temperature this way.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a fan of a warm shower to start, turn it up to hot and then full cold blast for about 20-30 seconds before I get out. You open and cleanse your pores and then close them up and feel energised for the day after that ending cold cycle. I'm at the point now where I basically have to shower with the ultimate cold shock at the end and have learnt to breath through it and enjoy the "immediate start" to my day. Feels like activating my mind and body when waking up.

Also years ago there was a state wide gas outage, for about two weeks, and if you wanted a shower then you were having a cold one. I learnt back then to jump in.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan of a warm shower to start, turn it up to hot and then full cold blast for about 20-30 seconds before I get out. You open and cleanse your pores and then close them up and feel energised for the day after that ending cold cycle. I'm at the point now where I basically have to shower with the ultimate cold shock at the end and have learnt to breath through it and enjoy the "immediate start" to my day. Feels like activating my mind and body when waking up.

Also years ago there was a state wide gas outage, for about two weeks, and if you wanted a shower then you were having a cold one. I learnt back then to jump in.
This is my method too. Warm shower then turn that bad boy to ice cold and BOOM, awakened.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018

This is what I do. I think it is easier because you know you're getting out in 30 seconds and don't have to suffer through an entire shower of cold haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Cold showers feel pretty nice after a good workout, but I wouldn't take them normally. I never feel quite as clean as opposed to when I take a warm/hot shower.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I have a hot shower as I don't feel clean if I don't use hot water to wash my hair for around 2 minutes and then I do a huge cold water rush for about 3-4 minutes of just rinsing and using soap leaving it on long enough so that it actually is a cold shower. Doing it now in Winter now nearly spring. Can't really do much with the cold. Just a lot of panting, moving around arms around, jumping a bit and going straight on.

draculabyte

Video Game and Metal Mashup Shirt Design
Verified
Jun 20, 2019
Start it off tepid until you get used to it and then slowly taper down to cooler...cool...cold. Or...just jump right in like you do a pool. Lol

Nov 4, 2017
I've been taking cold showers for almost 2 years. I try to set the water to the coldest possible but where I live the water doesn't get THAT cold. If you don't want to try slowly adjusting the water temp over the course of the shower, you can stand with your back facing the shower so that the cold water sprays on the back of your neck/upper back. This may help your body get used to the cold water quickly. Showering in cold water will never be a comfortable experience but in time you will get used to it and the initial shock will decrease significantly.

I don't personally see any benefits of improved immune system but here are some pros:
- You naturally take shorter showers and save on water/electricity
- Skin less dry in the winter
- Slight increase in cold resistance
- Sleep better if you shower before bed

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just go straight in. If you think you're going to have a panic attack though, maybe don't do that.

I feel like I can't breathe for a little bit, and I probably breathe heavily throughout it, but it's no different than hopping into a freezing lake to me.

Probably not for everyone. I do it sometimes because I feel great and alert afterward, but it's not so euphoric that I'd put myself through a few moments of hell for it.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I do it everyday! I just start warm - I was never a hot showerer to begin with - and then I turn the warm water off

You get used to it after a few times

Feels great, wakes me up real good