• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 7, 2018
P0.jpg

Gamer or geek fashion isn't discussed much in general in this community, but I thought it would be interesting to talk about it. Like Holly Nielson had said in her Guardian article from almost six years ago most just wear plaid shirts, jeans or khakis, and graphic t-shirts. There is not much variety. You can take those game, anime, or comic book shirts and make them look more interesting. Styling geek clothing is much the same to styling fashion in general. The only difference is given the nature of how niche gaming apparel is and the wildly varying quality of said pieces we have to take a little more time and effort in making them look good.

So first thing, make sure whatever you're wearing matches. This is should go without saying, but knowing how the male nerd community is go I feel I should mention this, but make sure your clothes fit. I've heard a lot and it took some hindsight for me to recognize that a lot of us aren't wearing clothes that fit our bodies. In this case it's usually things that are too big for the smaller folk or too small for the bigger guys. Just make sure your pants fit properly and go past your ankle to not look high water and for your shirts to be form fitting as to not look like your drowning in it or suffocating in it as in the case with it being too small. This is the most important aspect here. Now, there is a case where clothing being too big is part of the style, but I'll get to that in a moment.

So, as far as the graphic tees you can make them look a little more interesting with what you pair it with. Let's take this Okami T-shirt. If you wear a black blazer over it with a wide brim hat it goes from basic to chic.

Phantom%2BThieves%2BLogo%2BTee.jpg

Persona 5 Phantom Thieves Logo shirt from Insert Coin

Ep9Q3zWXcAAfkNe.jpg

For a punk rock look I've paired this Phantom Thieves logo tee with ripped jeans with a chain, striped finger less gloves, and a spiked choker. Mixing it in with an existing fashion is a good way to integrate it. There are also some two piece sets where you don't have to worry about matching or styling like these Mass Effect and Sailor Pluto jogger sets from Insert Coin and Naughtee. Both of these also fit into the streetwear aesthetic and to touch upon a point I made earlier oversized clothing is a trend in the streetwear game, but the key to that is balance. In oversized fashion, sweatshirts are popular. Oversized just means something that's a little bigger than what you normally wear. This usually regulated to shirts and sweaters. Some sites make clothes exclusively with that in mind with oversized being somewhere in the title of the clothing piece, but in most cases pick something that's one or two sizes above your actual size. It's important to pair something that's oversized with something that's not oversized. You can create a asymmetrical look by tucking in one side of the shirt. It shouldn't be hard to find a gaming or anime sweatshirt out there for this style.

Jewelry can be overbearing or enhance your look as well depending on how you use it. In my last article I did not touch on any video game jewelry out there. They exist, but good quality to me is even harder to find than the apparel. Instead of bringing in game inspired jewelry here just use any good pieces of your own that you have or buy some decent, but simple silver or gold. A necklace stack over a simple design like a graphic sweatshirt can bring up your outfit. Jewelry can become overbearing in your outfit if you put too much on where it drowns out the rest of your outfit and also you shouldn't mix metals. That refers to wearing silver and gold together. It comes across tacky and should be avoided in most cases.
Sailor Pluto Jogger set from GetNaughtee worn by cosplayer/professional stylist Chibithot

The exception here however, is when you have them distanced. For example you could have a gold necklace stack on top, but a silver anklet on. Since they're not seen together immediately at a glance there's no between the two colors.

Also, me personally, I feel like you can't mix your video game brands in your fit and by that I mean have something like a PlayStation shirt on with Pokemon leggings. The art styles clash with each other and then it bothers me since Pokemon isn't a PlayStation game. Now, I have worn a black Kojima denim jacket with a black DOOM hoodie before. It looks fine, but I still find it weird myself wearing two different gaming brands on. I wouldn't do it again. I think having a PlayStation game with a PlayStation logo branded piece works fine together. Same goes for a Nintendo series clothing with a Nintendo logo piece. The rule for me is wear a console brand with a game that's available on that console, just the console brand, or just a game with no corresponding gaming brands. Same regards in wearing two different animes or superheroes in the same fit.

Another route to take is to take inspiration from the fashion of your geek media. There are some fictional characters out there that don the drip and you can look like them without looking like a straight up cosplay. Fashion YouTuber StealTheSpotlight, demonstrates this best.

images
IMG_5126.JPG

A good collection of how not to wear fedoras Vs A good example of how to wear one.​

I remember for a while there were discussions in the geek community a lot about guys who would wear fedoras and how they would say shit like "M'lady," and how awful they look. While those guys looked bad and came off as annoying there's a misconception that nobody looks good with a fedora which is just flat out wrong. It's just most of these guys that are wearing fedoras are wearing them terribly. You can't just slap on a fedora with any outfit. It doesn't go with every outfit. For one, fedoras were made to be worn for more formal wear like with suits. You can wear them with casual wear, but there has to be more thought put into it.

If you're wearing it with the typical gamer look of a graphic tee or plaid shirt and some jeans a standard fedora will look weird. This is where I opt for a wide brim fedora, but where it to the back of the head instead of flat on top like with most hats. It adds a bit of classiness to the casual outfit without it looking awkward.

That's all the styling tips I have for right now. What are your thought about styling geek clothing? And let me know if you'd like me talk about more specific parts of gamer fashion.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest thing with geek clothing is that I don't want it to be tacky. I like minimalist designs where if someone recognizes where it's from awesome.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
how can i incorporate gamer geek fashion into my visual kei wardrobe?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
People gotta stop trying to make fedoras a thing, it's never gonna be a thing.

You're not Humphrey Bogart, people.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would urge anyone and everyone to not wear things that could be considered "geek clothing" in any situation. You should avoid logos on your clothing in general, but especially large videogame related graphics.

For example, the model wearing the Persona shirt in the OP would look significantly better in the same shirt sans logo.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I had to comment on the fedora. The "good" example isn't terrible, but he'd probably look better without it. They just look silly on the vast vast majority of people

Honestly I would urge anyone and everyone to not wear things that could be considered "geek clothing" in any situation. You should avoid logos on your clothing in general, but especially large videogame related graphics.

For example, the model wearing the Persona shirt in the OP would look significantly better in the same shirt sans logo.

Also, this is correct. That tee would look so much nicer without the logo.

But not to down on the entire thread, it looks like you put a fair amount of effort in and getting people to try something other than plaid shirts and jeans is always exciting

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I feel like geek gaming blended years ago into big brands and everything else has fallen into niche category

Jul 1, 2020
Insert Coin makes great stuff. Not all geeky clothing has to be premium grade cringe like the offerings from the E3 store which reminds me of what Hot Topic was selling in the mid-2000s.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that's almost impossible to incorporate geek clothing to my style, I think it's too femme and ''office lady'' (think Gemma Arterton's casual outfits but probably less polished) to accomodate even graphic t-shirts. I just feel weird wearing the kind of styles/shapes geek clothing usually comes in, like a grownup trying to wear clothing intended for teenagers or something (even though I'm in my middle 20s). I think I'd be tempted to do it if it was something that wouldn't be very obvious to people who don't know about the thing in question, like minimalist designs etc, but I'm always worried it will look like cosplay or straight up cringy (like, I was tempted but I don't think a AOT Survey Corps jacket would work IRL).

However, I'm very interested in this trend of incorporating stuff like StealTheSpotlight presents (I guess I first saw this kind of concept in 'disneybounding' and I think it's amazing). Or maybe jewellry (I even had a Evenstar necklace a few years ago).

Also I highly doubt the standard fedoras will ever look cool with casual clothing IRL (the wide brim version is cool though).

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I love insert coin for this stuff. It doesn't scream of 'gamer gear'. I like my stuff to be a bit more subtle.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Insert Coin makes great stuff. Not all geeky clothing has to be premium grade cringe like the offerings from the E3 store which reminds me of what Hot Topic was selling in the mid-2000s.

I quite like a lot of insert coin designs and have been complimented by people on the street in the past when wearing their stuff.

i wish their build quality was better though. Feels like I had one of their jackets for a week before it started to frey.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
the design needs to be real simple to make it decent imo, anything too on the nose is kinda tacky.
one of my only "geek" clothing is this plain grey t shirt:

tee-shirt-donkey-kong-gris-grande-taille-homme-xr787_1_fcf1.jpg

dylie

Oct 25, 2017
If this was posted in a discussion board a few years ago, during the era of E3 presenters wearing exclusively graphic tee + blazer combos, I'd agree with some of your points, but in my opinion, gaming has already found its place in modern fashion or streetwear with companies like Hypland, etc. My approach to including gaming culture into my wardrobe is to wear it casually with sweats and sneakers. I personally don't like the look of implementing it with button downs, chinos, blazers, etc. Own the casual look, in my opinion. Don't wear a Persona shirt with a nice fedora and flannel; it'll just come off as a little tacky from my perspective.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
A huuuuge point to consider in the OPs pics is that they are all good looking, in shape, and well groomed. If you got those 3 things going for you, you can pretty much pull off anything, even tacky gamer shit.

OP
OP
Shawn The Wonder
Sep 7, 2018
I had to comment on the fedora. The "good" example isn't terrible, but he'd probably look better without it. They just look silly on the vast vast majority of people
Actually after a little while I didn't like it anymore. I replaced it with another. I was trying to find another guy, but in most situations I find that women wear them better.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
I have very few video game clothing items (or clothes with prominent branding in general). The few pieces of clothing I do have are subtle where someone familiar with the series would recognize it but someone unfamiliar with the series wouldn't, like this Katamari hat that I have.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I just bought a Varsity style Rareware hoodie from FanGamer. Guess I'm cringey now. (/s)

I'll be honest: as someone who wears clothes because society states that I should, I'm not into trying to be fashionable. That time passed me by in middle school. I'll never be model-esque nor do I want to be.

I wear what fits good on me and doesn't make me look like the slob I am in public. I literally have enough shirts to wear a different one for the next 100+ days without repeating.

I do appreciate this thread tho, OP. I honestly wish I was more photogenic and stylish, whatever that may entail.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

But literally the only time I get compliments on my clothes is when I wear game t-shirts. Oh, and twice with a music artist's shirt.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't swerve my entire wardrobe around it, but I do like to mix in some "nerdy" stuff from time to time. I usually aim to do it in a way that the OP presents, but sometimes I'll just go with a "distressed logo" look. Like, I own a PlayStation shirt that is literally just the multicolor PlayStation logo centered on black and looking distressed -- it's very obvious that it's nerdy but the design isn't elaborate or tacky to my own sensibilities and I have no problem wearing it.

Jul 1, 2020
I quite like a lot of insert coin designs and have been complimented by people on the street in the past when wearing their stuff.

i wish their build quality was better though. Feels like I had one of their jackets for a week before it started to frey.
My only gripe is that the Joel shirt they have really can't be worn by me with the sleeves rolled up which is the way Joel wears it in game. One of the cuffs is a bit torn from me wearing it that way but you can't tell because the sleeves are rolled up.

Hueytothe

Oct 25, 2017
You should avoid logos on your clothing in general, but especially large videogame related graphics.
Terrible advice, or rather I disagree. Fashion is a statement. Example if a brand is for a cause you support you wear that brand's logo. Another easy example is a crewneck or hoodie with your school's logo on it, you wear that because it represents a part of your identity. If you love a certain artist you wear a shirt with their logo.

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
My biggest thing with geek clothing is that I don't want it to be tacky. I like minimalist designs where if someone recognizes where it's from awesome.

Agree with this. The only "geek" clothes that look good are the ones that are subtle, where only someone who knows that game/anime/whatever would be able to recognize where it's from and to anyone else just looks like a normal shirt. I love my N7 sweater but I would've hated for it to have a "Mass Effect" or "Bioware" logo anywhere on it where people could see while I'm wearing it (Bioware and EA logos are where the tags would go so no one can see them).

Jan 15, 2019
I have a pair of triforce cuff links that are fairly subtle. Otherwise don't own any gaming related clothing. Personally I feel you should treat fashion as its own thing and not as a billboard for your hobbies.

Jul 1, 2020
I think I'd be tempted to do it if it was something that wouldn't be very obvious to people who don't know about the thing in question, like minimalist designs etc, but I'm always worried it will look like cosplay or straight up cringy (like, I was tempted but I don't think a AOT Survey Corps jacket would work IRL).

This is the key to making it work IMO. The N7 Armor Stripe hoodie I believe is a perfect example of this. It screams Mass Effect to those who know what it is but is basically invisible to anyone else.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wear this all the time

my-highest-unlocked-achievement-calls-me-daddy-beth-scannell.jpg

No but seriously, I think with this it's just a matter of a time and a place. You can wear some subtle music merch as an example, I used to have a Queen hoodie with I Want To Break Free on the hood and that was great, but gaming isn't entirely as accepted as a medium for adults yet by everyone, so I think it's just a matter of doing it when it's right.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
The only acceptable video game clothing is a replica of Leon's jacket from RE4. Anything else is cringe or borders on it.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
It's all about subtlety, for me. I have some gaming socks (Pokemon, Playstation, N64) that have a small emblem embroidered on the top tube part. Wear those pulled up with some cuffed/short pants and a baggy tee and I'm feeling good without being too loud.

I also like to accent my jackets or coats with one or two small pins, which can be gaming related. Think less Figpins, more lapel pin.

PS Does anyone remember Meat Bun shirts??

Edit: Oh they're still goin! Here are some tasteful gaming tees, if you're into graphic tees

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Couldn't find a better pic, but I own this t-shirt and love it

D_NQ_NP_988101-MLB41223703689_032020-O.webp

So many "ok boomer" replies here lol

I just bought this m any comments? I dont want to look too tacky.

Slowly Mist Silent Hill - Camiseta de manga raglán para hombre, Estilo 1, Large : Amazon.com.mx: Ropa, Zapatos y Accesorios

Slowly Mist Silent Hill - Camiseta de manga raglán para hombre, Estilo 1, Large : Amazon.com.mx: Ropa, Zapatos y Accesorios

I think it's nice but almost $400 for a shirt???

Edit: nvm it's not US dollars.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
As someone also very into fashion, I don't agree with the tips described. Also, for the most part, 'geek' clothing just can't look good because there is no actual design to it. For example, that Persona 5 shirt is just hideous and I don't think there's anyway to make it look good.

There are someone good pieces out there, Uniqlo have done a couple but they also rely on the source material itself being appealing enough as art. It has to first organically look good before you make it look good on you.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that hard to wear geek related cloths and make them look the same as other cloths. Some people here are so afraid of being seen as geeky/gamer that the responses that are given are not surprising in anyway.