• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT Nov 8th: The Last Guardian was confirmed by NXGamer to be uncapped on v1.00 and this method will work exactly the same with that game as well

***Disclaimer points in spoiler:
  1. There's no guarantee that these titles will have access to full PS5 clocks as Sony hasn't confirmed individual supported titles or a Boost Mode toggle, or that 60fps in these games will be locked or stable.
  2. Rich from DF has confirmed Sony doesn't require PS4 games to be patched to play on PS5.
  3. While this method isn't illegal or unethical, it is kind of a "backdoor" method similar to the PT re-download method. No one has reported bans or account locks for using this method across many games for many years. You need to own the game licenses on PS4 for this method to work, obviously.
  4. It is extremely likely that any saves you have from these games where you have played after v 1.00 will not work with this method and will need to be deleted for the games to work unpatched. I haven't tested it myself as I haven't played the games before, but this is usually the case. Likewise, AC Unity's online features will not be accessible.
  5. I have only checked and confirmed this works on NA PSN, but it is said to work in other regions as well.
  6. I can confirm this method works when downloading to PS4, and Sony confirmed you can swap your PS4 external HDD to PS5. I have no idea if this method will work if you try to download to PS5 directly.
Thanks to Assassin's Creed Unity and Batman Arkham City launching with unlocked (wildly unstable) framerates on PS4 before being patched with a 30fps lock, PS5 Disc Edition users will be able to put their AC:U or B:AC discs in their PS5 and get a potentially locked 60fps since they are able to block the patch downloads and stay on v1.00. Seeing the recent DF video on AC:U running locked 60fps via XSX is a great sign we can expect similar perf on PS5 if those BC games run with the full PS5 clocks.

What about folks that have the digital versions of those games, or plan to get the PS5 Digital Edition? Since games are downloaded pre-patched from PSN, and PS4/5 doesn't recognize disc/digital game data as the same, digital owners are forever stuck on 30fps for these games right? Nope! There is a method to download unpatched version 1.00 games directly from your library on PS4 with the help of a proxy and the PSX Download Helper program on Windows. Its a simple process and I will outline what worked for me.

First you need the PSX Download Helper, you can Google it to find it pretty easily. Most of the verbiage around the program is that is speeds up PSN downloads, but it has this functionality as well. Next, make sure you have deleted both games, their DLC, and their saves completely from the PS4. Once you open PSX DL Helper, you will probably need to switch the language as it defaults to Chinese I believe. Hit the green arrow thing to get into the main window and click the fifth tab along the top of the program window and there should be a drop down box with English listed inside, click that and exit and reopen the program. Now on the first window you will see an IP address and port #, so go into your PS4 network configuration and choose "custom" instead of "easy", choose the top options for all items except for Proxy Server, for this one choose "Use". Enter the IP address and port # listed on the PSX Download Helper box and save the PS4 network settings. On PSX DL Helper, choose Compatibility mode from the dropdown and click the green arrow to proceed to the main screen (a small pop-up box might come up about strings, just click ok to proceed).

Now just go to your PS4 Library and download either AC:U (minus any DLC) or B:AC and they will download like normal. Head over to your Notifications and open up the download viewer to view the size of the full download. If you see AC:U is right at or around 40.98GB, congrats you are on track. If its a few GB higher or the download immediately fails, you messed up a step so try again from scratch. Likewise, Arkham City's download size should be right around 28.52GB or you will need to retry. Let the downloads go, though its likely that after every 9 or 10 GB the download will "fail" on the PS4. No worries, just close the PSX DL Helper program, reopen it, hit the green arrow and OK on the pop up box, and then on PS4 choose Resume on the download to continue where you left off. Once it is done, verify it is v 1.00 and you should be good. Once done, go back to your PS4 network settings and revert everything to normal.

Now for the tricky part: keeping these games from updating automatically. The easiest method to keep these games from updating is to cancel/delete any updates for them that are actively on your download list, attach a secondary unused external hard drive (not your main external HDD) to format as a PS4 external, move both games to this external, disconnect this hard drive, and throw it in a drawer until you want to play the games. This will keep your DL list clean and not allow the games to be updated automatically. If that is not an option, or if you are actively playing the games, simply pausing the update downloads on your DL list will keep them from downloading until you either resume the download or you start the game. This is important: every time you launch one of these games, it will resume the patch download even if it is paused. Luckily, both patches are multiple GBs so you have plenty of time to make it to the main menu, go back to the dashboard and re-pause the patch download.

Further, i would recommend always double checking the version of the game each time before you launch it by hitting options and choosing information. If you notice the game isn't 1.00, just delete it and re-do the process to re-download so that you don't update your save file to the newest version when launching the game.

That's it! You should have 1.00 of both versions with the ability to get to 60fps easily as long as PS5 runs wide open on both.

A few notes: Arkham Asylum unfortunately is locked to 30fps on all versions, but both Asylum and City have dynamic resolutions on the horizontal axis so they should both run full 1920x1080 under all circumstances on PS5 (again, if they use full clocks). Arkham City apparently didn't get a framerate lock until version 1.02 so if you have 1.01 or lower you should be good. I wasn't able to find the proxy path for v 1.01 unfortunately so no ability to get the likely minor improvements of that patch (also the process for downloading old patches is quite a bit more involved, but if anyone has access to the version 1.01 pkg path for the json file it would be appreciated!). Assassins Creed Unity unfortunately is locked to 30fps on version 1.01 and later so there's no point in going higher than 1.00 (big thanks to Liabe Brave for confirming my footage locked to 30fps on 1.01). Obviously the launch version of AC Unity was panned for its bugs and poor performance, but there is a silver lining in that one DF article from the launch of AC Unity says that Tom Bramwell had some bugs on the launch build but nothing like what you are thinking when you hear "AC Unity bugs" lol. Hopefully between getting lucky there and the huge performance increase thanks to the clocks (and no online mode interference), it should be a world of difference from those initial reviews. Obviously with AC Unity, online stuff won't work but you can do everything possible offline at 60fps and then update to the latest version to get online and finish up anything left to do like co-op missions etc at 30fps

Thanks to Mako on PSNProfiles for sharing this method (albeit for different uses) and again thanks to Liabe Brave for his help counting frames and putting together the Pro Enhancements thread that has helped me alot along the way.

Last edited:

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
This is going to be helpful for other things too, isn't this the same method to download P.T?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Man it'd be so funny to go through all this effort only for the game to still run at 30

Shout out to you tho OP, moving the games between HDD and SSD kinda seems like a pain

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
Imagine jumping through all those hoops and then they announce they're going to patch them to play at 60fps for next gen consoles!

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I appreciate the explanation, but those two games are really buggy without any updates. Dont think the 60FPS cap is worth it to be honest for that.

OP
OP
Fisty

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Man it'd be so funny to go through all this effort only for the game to still run at 30

Shout out to you tho OP, moving the games between HDD and SSD kinda seems like a pain

DF has confirmed (in previous videos) that both AC Unity and Arkham City run unlocked variable FPS on version 1.00

Imagine jumping through all those hoops and then they announce they're going to patch them to play at 60fps for next gen consoles!

They might patch AC Unity, but the Return to Arkham remasters have been a shitshow on all consoles for years.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
I was excited about a 60 FPS patch for Arkham then I read the thread =(

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell am I reading
Games downloaded from PS Store comes pre patched, this method allows you to download unpatched version. Meaning if a game was patched to have a locked 30FPS, but had an unlocked FPS at launch then you can download the 1.0 version of the game and use that on PSV to hit 60FPS.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Can you not simply download each game and refuse patches?

Edit: Thank you, the post above clears this up a bit.

Is the alternative to just buy the disc version and not allow updates then?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
DF has confirmed (in previous videos) that both AC Unity and Arkham City run unlocked variable FPS on version 1.00

They might patch AC Unity, but the Return to Arkham remasters have been a shitshow on all consoles for years.
Oh cool, isn't AC Unity without patches super buggy tho? I don't think it's worth even with the frame rate at 60

Not gonna hold my breath for a patch from Ubisoft

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The Venn diagram of someone who is against the complications of gaming on PC where you can run these settings easily, but willing to jump through all these hoops to do it on PS4, is probably about six people maximum on planet earth

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Oh cool, isn't AC Unity without patches super buggy tho? I don't think it's worth even with the frame rate at 60
Yeah that's the problem tbh, you can't play the DLC's either

Just play it on PC if you're desperate to play it at 60fps (not at 900p either)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
PS5 Disc Edition users will be able to put their AC:U or B:AC discs in their PS5 and get a potentially locked 60fps since they are able to block the patch downloads and stay on v1.00.

That's a massive assumption. We don't yet know if PS4 back-compat play will require a per-game patch download to run on PS5.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Why would someone play AC: Unity unpatched? Yeah the 60 fps is great but that game needed those patches for a lot of other things.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
inb4 "Just buy on PC"

1ujxgf.gif

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I always use this app to install games from PSN, but as far as I know, the digital games download the update and the game at the same time. Meaning you get one download on the console rather than having two separate download bars for them. They used to be two downloads but Sony changed it to the way it is right now.
That being said there is a way to get the PS4 to download the v1.00 update but I haven't tried that.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure is worth playing AC:U prepatched even with the unlocked framerate, whole lots of other issues that got fixed.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Really ppl, just stop believe that publisher care to spend time and money to do a patch for 5-6 years old games that have zero market value today... it's never gonna happen.

I hear you entirely, but I think there's some surprises to be had in this regard

It's not quite 5 years old, but stuff like MonsterBoy I never expected to have a 4k patch announced so soon but it did

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Rich from DF got confirmation from Sony per his PS5 UI vid yesterday
This is why it would be nice of Sony to allow an actual hands on in a non-controlled environment. DF already confirmed it with video on the other new system coming.

Really ppl, just stop believe that publisher care to spend time and money to do a patch for 5-6 years old games that have zero market value today... it's never gonna happen.

What hoops is that exactly? The PS5 should run this game automatically at its highest frame rates now.

Oct 27, 2017
I played Unity after it was patched and really liked it... but from what we all saw it really needed those patches.

I know y'all are dead set on "60 fps over everything" but in this case is it really worth it? There were 4 major patches iirc, no?

www.polygon.com

The long road to fixing Assassin's Creed Unity

Assassin's Creed Unity, Ubisoft's second game in the series for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, launched with a myriad of problems and a day-one patch that didn't get close to fixing them all....

EDIT :
www.polygon.com

Ubisoft working to stop Arno's endless fall, hay cart prisons in Assassin's Creed Unity

Yesterday we pointed out some of the wonderful glitches created by Assassin's Creed Unity in this collection of videos. Today, Ubisoft is detailing how they're working to rid the game of some of...

www.polygon.com

Second Assassin's Creed Unity patch hits PC and PS4, Xbox One soon, next in the works

The second patch for Assassin's Creed Unity hit today, landing first on the PC and then on the PlayStation 4. Ubisoft says the Xbox One patch is being tested and that they're already looking at...

www.polygon.com

Assassin's Creed Unity patch three won't fix everything but will help a lot, Ubisoft says

What exactly the next patch for Assassin's Creed Unity will fix hasn't been finalized yet, but Ubisoft says it will "dramatically improve your experience." "Again, while the ultimate list of fixes...

www.polygon.com

Assassin's Creed Unity's next big patch targets frame rate problems, crashes and other bugs

Ubisoft has detailed an extensive forthcoming patch for Assassin's Creed Unity that aims to fix more than 90 crashes, dozens of bugs and some specific frame rate drops in the PlayStation 4, Xbox...

I doubt it would ever happen but it would be cool to see Ubisoft do one last patch for next gen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fisty

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The process is really simple once you are familiar with what you need to do, I know it seems daunting from the wall of text but it really is simple. There is a lot of words because I wanted to preemptively answer everyone's questions and be thorough, but I understand any OP with more than 3 paragraphs better be made by Mama Robotnik or you get labeled as jeff_rigby lol

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
What hoops is that exactly? The PS5 should run this game automatically at its highest frame rates now.
Latest patch of Unity and Arkham Knight lock them at 30fps, so you won't have any substancial gain from a boost mode in that way, this is why OP is finding a way to play them on previous versions with unlocked framerate...
this isn't an ideal solution at all.
If a game is locked at 30 it won't be any better than that, excluding the MS thing done with Fallout 4 and other selected titles.

Best case scenario is a locked 30fps if PS4 Pro boost mode hasn't already achieved that, expecting any patch for these games is pure utopia.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
There's a workaround for Series S owners too, for anyone interested.

You need access to an Xbox with a disc drive, a physical copy of the game, and an external drive formatted for Xbox. You need to already own the game digitally before you start the process, and your Series S must have been connected to the internet and signed in on the account that owns the digital copy.

You can attach your hard drive to a console with a disc drive that is offline, install the game to your external drive, and then you can use that on your Series S offline.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Latest patch of Unity and Arkham Knight lock them at 30fps, so you won't have any substancial gain from a boost mode in that way, this is why OP is finding a way to play them on previous versions with unlocked framerate...
this isn't an ideal solution at all.
If a game is locked at 30 it won't be any better than that, excluding the MS thing done with Fallout 4 and other selected titles.

Best case scenario is a locked 30fps if PS4 Pro boost mode hasn't already achieved that, expecting any patch for these games is pure utopia.
I see, I just read that it's only possible with a disk and no patches (on the DF video). Thanks

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure is worth playing AC:U prepatched even with the unlocked framerate, whole lots of other issues that got fixed.
Also on PS4 the launch game supposedly only used 6 CPU cores instead of 7 cores on XB1, and the game was running even worse on PS4 (around 5fps lower than XB1). They patched the game to use the 7th core in one patch and the performance was finally similar to the XB1 version.

So it's not even sure the game could be locked 60fps on PS5 as the game was sometimes running at 20fps on base PS4 with only 6 CPU cores used.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Also on PS4 the launch game supposedly only used 6 CPU cores instead of 7 cores on XB1, and the game was running even worse on PS4 (around 5fps lower than XB1). They patched the game to use the 7th core in one patch and the performance was finally similar to the XB1 version.

So it's not even sure the game could be locked 60fps on PS5 as the game was sometimes running at 20fps on base PS4 with only 6 CPU cores used.

this is completely made up. I have no idea where you get this from, but it's obviously not true lol. The reason why Unity ran slightly better on X1 was because the X1 has slightly higher clocked CPU. It was an extremely CPU bound game on consoles, that is all.

www.youtube.com

Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 4: PS4 vs Xbox One Frame-Rate Test

Subscribe for more console and PC tech analysis: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=DigitalFoundryRead our full article: http://www.eurogame...

even after several patches, the game still was slightly more stable on X1.

OP
OP
Fisty

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
There's a workaround for Series S owners too, for anyone interested.

You need access to an Xbox with a disc drive, a physical copy of the game, and an external drive formatted for Xbox. You need to already own the game digitally before you start the process, and your Series S must have been connected to the internet and signed in on the account that owns the digital copy.

You can attach your hard drive to a console with a disc drive that is offline, install the game to your external drive, and then you can use that on your Series S offline.

Yeah this would have been the ideal easy solution on PS4 as well but unfortunately, to my knowledge, the PS4 doesn't associate digital licenses with game data from the same game installed from disc.

I believe PS4 Pro Boost mode was already 5-10 fps higher on average than stock PS4 per the DF video, and that was just with the minor clock bump. I would expect this to hang close to 60fps on PS5.

Does this allow to download titles at 1.00?

There's a few pre-patch titles I'd like to try

Yeah I tried it on a few tiny games just to test before getting these big ones and they all came out 1.00 with no issues. On PSNProfiles, folks were using this method to roll back games so they could use exploits/glitches to more easily get trophies, or to use older versions to earn trophies that were made unobtainable by a patch. I actually used a similar but more complicated method to earn the Comrades multiplayer trophies in FFXV long after they patched it out of the main game so I wouldn't be forever stuck with unobtainable trophies on the main FFXV list.