• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
User Banned (5 Days): Sexist rhetoric
I've tried to find the appeal of this girl, but she comes off as haughty and self-important to me, and always has. Also, this didn't need to be thirty minutes.

TL;DR: Getting published isn't entirely based around quality. It's a combination of luck, timing, and the market.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I generally like her stuff, but her delivery grates my nerves after awhile.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I've tried to find the appeal of this girl, but she comes off as haughty and self-important to me, and always has. Also, this didn't need to be thirty minutes.

TL;DR: Getting published isn't entirely based around quality. It's a combination of luck, timing, and the market.
Yes truly, how dare she, a woman, speak with confidence about anything on the internet?

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Yes truly, how dare she, a woman, speak with confidence about anything on the internet?
Don't dismiss their opinion I like her but yeah she speaks authoritatively often which unless she is an actual expert in whatever criticism she is lobbying in a certain video, makes her look like marginally more informed than say MatPat.

Oct 25, 2017

Calling an adult woman a girl while complaining about her being self-important? always very cool.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Don't dismiss their opinion I like her but yeah she speaks authoritatively often which unless she is an actual expert in whatever criticism she is lobbying in a certain video, makes her look like marginally more informed than say MatPat.
Yes, how dare somebody with an advanced degree in film studies speak authoritatively when engaging in film criticism (or discussing film criticism on an introductory level)?

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Yes, how dare somebody with an advanced degree in film studies speak authoritatively when engaging in film criticism (or discussing film criticism on an introductory level)?

yes and how dare you try to hand wave criticism about a critic who has made problematic statements in the past and speaks about wokeness and yet has no Pocs at her wedding. Don't treat female critics with kid gloves that's belittling they deserve the same level of introspection as their male counterparts.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The internet is wild
I don't really want to get into that kind of shoe-horning. If there is a legitimate issue there it sucks. But maybe that's just how her friend circle shook out because it's still extremely possible for folks to have homogenous friend circle without trying or being racist. (Especially since a lot of her friends come from left tube which has it's own issues with whiteness)

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question. She's had a pretty big platform for a number of years that reaches millions of fans. Why not just self publish the book and market that bad boy. Who needs the approval of book dealers. I'm guessing tens of thousands of people are on her Patreon. I'm sure they would t mind buying a book

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
yes and how dare you try to hand wave criticism about a critic who has made problematic statements in the past and speaks about wokeness and yet has no Pocs at her wedding. Don't treat female critics with kid gloves that's belittling they deserve the same level of introspection as their male counterparts.
Somebody please tell me this is a bit.

I don't think you know what "introspection" means.

I have a question. She's had a pretty big platform for a number of years that reaches millions of fans. Why not just self publish the book and market that bad boy. Who needs the approval of book dealers. I'm guessing tens of thousands of people are on her Patreon. I'm sure they would t mind buying a book
The problem is how many people contributing $1 a month are going to be willing to put down $27 in a lump sum for a book? Convincing subscribers who follow you at a relatively low barrier of entry to buy something that actually costs a decent amount of money seems to be a constant challenge for people trying to market to their social media following (see IG Influencers trying and failing to market products to their followers).

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Somebody please tell me this is a bit.

I don't think you know what "introspection" means.

The problem is how many people contributing $1 a month are going to be willing to put down $27 in a lump sum for a book? Convincing subscribers who follow you at a relatively low barrier of entry to buy something that actually costs a decent amount of money seems to be a constant challenge for people trying to market to their social media following (see IG Influencers trying and failing to market products to their followers).

Counterpoint Jeremy from Cinemasins wrote a book and it was by all accounts fairly successful.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Does it involve telling non-binary people they're not worth apologising to and telling transphobic jokes you're not affected by?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

Are you gonna tell her she should "smile more" next?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is how someone who basically makes a living without depending on a gatekeeper to release her videos would then turn to a gatekeeper to publish her fiction?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She addresses this in the video.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018

While she's big enough that she could probably sell plenty of copies that would still entail hiring an editor, hiring a cover artist, printing physical copies, getting those physical on the shelves of thousands of book stores across the US, hiring a narrator to record an audiobook version, marketing it, and basically spending a lot of her own personal time, money, and effort beyond just making sure the book is good. She's with a big five publisher so instead of doing all that herself she'll have professionals to do a lot of that work for her and she'll get an advance.

That said there are plenty of authors (such as Michael J. Sullivan) that tell new authors that by going with a traditional publisher they're just leaving money on the table and they're better off self publishing and keeping 100% of the profits.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

She has an advanced degree in film criticism and has done that as a paid job her entire adult life. Exactly how is she not an actual expert in that field? Or are you talking about the videos where she doesn't do film criticism, like when she did the video about being a personal brand (which she is and has been in multiple forms for over 10 years), a YouTube personality (which she is and has been for half a decade or more), or a person with a book deal with a major publisher (which she self-evidently is)?

Just because she's a girl and/or on YouTube doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Oct 27, 2017
While she's big enough that she could probably sell plenty of copies that would still entail hiring an editor, hiring a cover artist, printing physical copies, getting those physical on the shelves of thousands of book stores across the US, hiring a narrator to record an audiobook version, marketing it, and basically spending a lot of her own personal time, money, and effort beyond just making sure the book is good. She's with a big five publisher so instead of doing all that herself she'll have professionals to do a lot of that work for her and she'll get an advance.

That said there are plenty of authors (such as Michael J. Sullivan) that tell new authors that by going with a traditional publisher they're just leaving money on the table and they're better off self publishing and keeping 100% of the profits.
Except she wouldn't keep 100% of the profits unless she's literally selling it herself, which would wildly limit sales.

Oct 25, 2017

And I thought I was derailing the thread by mentioning the books behind her. Also, confession time: I don't really read much fiction, so the only thing I actually read from Scalzi was like a chapter of Old Man's War (or whatever) that he published on his blog, like, ages ago (and some other samples). Literally a decade ago or so. So I was actually joking with that comment, BUT his path and that of Hugh Howey (also seen in the background) are interesting ones to compare to if you're looking into getting your shit published. Howey in particular initially actually didn't use a publisher, instead selling as an ebook directly on Amazon's website, until they came to him. Which was kind of a thing that you could still do back in 2010, until everybody and their dog tried to get in on that action and the gatekeepers / publisher managers had to go back to regular tactics.

So on that end the material presented here is something I'm already far too familiar with to sit through, but I will say that it IS a better idea to get published through a publisher that just saying "fork it" and self-publishing, because you will drown in a galactic ocean of mediocrity if you don't have a well-known promoter or promotion platform. Which is not to say that eventually quality might win out over the dredge, but ain't nobody got time for that. Seriously, a decade of waiting until your time for publication is honestly relatively short...

For those interested in more tales of woe and other typographical suffering, there is a writing thread here on Era. Bring booze, I need some.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I have things to say about her journey to publishing due to my job, the German book market can´t be that much different from the US one, but I would lose my mind in the process. The video mostly convinced me though to not get her book which I might have done otherwise. That´s a result and a half.

Just self publish your first thing, especially if you have a platform. You can even use that feedback to revise the "real book". That's what E. L. James did and just look at all the quality writers she outsold: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_fiction_authors
She is bigger than Stephen King and J. R. R. Tolkien... kill me.

I would love to know what Yahtzee Croshaw has to say on the topic. He uses his gaming videos to promote his solid books all the time and he started with publishing things on the web. Or Dmitry Glukhovsky. He put his debut novel Metro 2033 on the web for free back in 2002.
In conclusion: Read Stephen King´s book(s) on writing or something. This is just 30 minutes filled with hot air and I´ll skip her future videos on the topic of the book market if they go on like this.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
She has an advanced degree in film criticism and has done that as a paid job her entire adult life. Exactly how is she not an actual expert in that field? Or are you talking about the videos where she doesn't do film criticism, like when she did the video about being a personal brand (which she is and has been in multiple forms for over 10 years), a YouTube personality (which she is and has been for half a decade or more), or a person with a book deal with a major publisher (which she self-evidently is)?

Just because she's a girl and/or on YouTube doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's talking about.

I don't like her videos nor do i like her style but she is most definitely qualified. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So basically Lindsay Ellis is effectively banned as a subject now. Not officially or anything, but functionally: anytime her name is in a thread title, the thread will get blasted to hell beyond usability.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
yes and how dare you try to hand wave criticism about a critic who has made problematic statements in the past and speaks about wokeness and yet has no Pocs at her wedding.
What Reddits do you use, who do you follow on Twitter.

No, I'm not actually asking for your subscriptions, I'm just saying that the demographics of Lindsay Ellis' wedding are not (nor should they be) common knowledge and some group of people must be saying this as if it were an actually argument for you to drop that info so nonchalantly. It's so wild, I retroactively looked at your other posts in the thread to reconsider that they're coming from someone who's got a bone to pick.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Alt right Twitter was crowing about her getting arrested for drunk and disorderly a while back. She kind of references it in her "Manufacturing Authenticity" video. Which... okay? Don't know why she's have to "apologize" to her audience for that. She's human, shit happens.

As for the other stuff, given that the poster took a drive by dump on the thread and never returned to explain himself, it's probably some trolly bullshit.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alt right Twitter was crowing about her getting arrested for drunk and disorderly a while back. She kind of references it in her "Manufacturing Authenticity" video. Which... okay? Don't know why she's have to "apologize" to her audience for that. She's human, shit happens.

As for the other stuff, given that the poster took a drive by dump on the thread and never returned to explain himself, it's probably some trolly bullshit.

Well drunkenness means nothing to me really. Was interested in the other stuff. You might be right though.