• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've got 2x NVME SSDs, and 2x HDDs linked to my system.

Is there any software I can use to selectively wipe the two HDDs without fear of affecting my SSDs?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
aswmxLf.jpg

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If you want to do it oldschool:

Cmd
Diskpart
List disk
Select disk X (where X is your hdd, you need to recognice them for their capacity or unit)
Clean
Create part pri
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active
Exit

Repeat for the other

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018

Cmd
Diskpart
List disk
Select disk X (where X is your hdd, you need to recognice them for their capacity or unit)
Clean
Create part pri
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active
Exit

Repeat for the other
"How to easily wipe a mechanical hard drive?"

funo

Oct 27, 2017

Cmd
Diskpart
List disk
Clean
Create part pri
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active
Exit

Repeat for the other
Easiest way to accidently erase all the other discs, too
PLEASE don't do it like this

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Take it behind the shed and shoot it, or use thermite

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Dr. Doom OP, when you say completely wipe your magnetic drives. Do you mean to say remove all surface data from the drive when you Format or something like a Zero Fill utility that completely removes everything and makes it so existing traces of data on the drive is unrecoverable?

If you had important data like financial records or extremely sensitive information even with a format some tools can recover this information if the data written to the drive doesn't overwrite the same sector the previous data existed on after formatting. As for the Zero Fill utility. It says exactly what means. When the HDD writes a file to the disk, it just finds the next available "free sector", and overwrites whatever is there (regardless of whether or not it is a 0 or a 1). Zero fill does this after deleting your files effectively overwriting every possible recoverable piece of data.

If you need to dispose of an old HDD best method is to use a Zero Fill utility and THEN physically destroy the drive by driving a nail or drilling a whole entirely through the platters.

Good grief. All of this stuff reminds when I worked in IT Security.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Many good alternatives being thrown around, but you could simply delete all contents and then overwrite the whole disks with copies of blank files (like a big, all white BMP file or any kind of big file that doesn't compromise you) until you fill them.

Formatting is never enough to securely destroy data and further measures just require to tinker with various software solutions, which aren't all that complicated but whatever.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Physically destroy it

Otherwise if you're planning to use it afterwards, format it in Windows or use BleachBit

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dr. Doom OP, when you say completely wipe your magnetic drives. Do you mean to say remove all surface data from the drive when you Format or something like a Zero Fill utility that completely removes everything and makes it so existing traces of data on the drive is unrecoverable?

If you had important data like financial records or extremely sensitive information even with a format some tools can recover this information if the data written to the drive doesn't overwrite the same sector the previous data existed on after formatting. As for the Zero Fill utility. It says exactly what means. When the HDD writes a file to the disk, it just finds the next available "free sector", and overwrites whatever is there (regardless of whether or not it is a 0 or a 1). Zero fill does this after deleting your files effectively overwriting every possible recoverable piece of data.

If you need to dispose of an old HDD best method is to use a Zero Fill utility and THEN physically destroy the drive by driving a nail or drilling a whole entirely through the platters.

Good grief. All of this stuff reminds when I worked in IT Security.
To clarify, I wanted to wipe the HDDs as I wanted to sell them on eBay.

I found a software on the net called Active@KillDisk.

I'm running 'one pass zeros' on the two HDD - is that sufficient?

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
It's useless. No matter what you do, Reed Richards is going to find out what you had on there one way or another.